• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox Game Studios vs Sony Interactive Entertainment - Who Will Win?

Kokoloko85

We have to see.

MS didnt do great with Rare and Bethesda had a not great generation. Well Dooms were amazing and MS future projects look promising.

Sony studios have been on fire. Even though they lost a couple studios earlier this gen. They’ve had an amazing 11 Years And 2020-2021 looking PS2 era like almost

Nintendo also amongst the best with there way of handling studios.... ...(apart from poor Hiroyuki Takahashi and how Nintendo has handles Camelot lol)

Last edited:
Hardware sales isn't where the money is though, it's in software and Nintendo dismantles both Sony and Microsoft there.

You're right. It's not in hardware. It's in services and Sony crushes Nintendo in that also.

We're over complicating this. When we talk generally about winning a gen it is hardware sales. That is what we go off. Nintendo have 50 million to go.

Kokoloko85

You're right. It's not in hardware. It's in services and Sony crushes Nintendo in that also.

We're over complicating this. When we talk generally about winning a gen it is hardware sales. That is what we go off. Nintendo have 50 million to go.

Thats a whole lot of moneys compared to 2009

Reindeer

I meant software as in game sales, which is obviously an area where Nintendo dominates the other two. In services Sony would obviously beat Nintendo due to all the money they make charging 30% from third parties. I think when we talk about who wins a generation we mean console and first party game sales and not overall profit. Nintendo is quite behind when it comes to online and its store.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Zenimax purchase and all the money that Microsoft has they are in a better position. The only strategy that sony has this new generation is the price increase of the games. They need to act fast and change their strategy with new aquisitions and new IPs. Just with Elder Scrolls, Microsoft has a bigger IP than any Sony IP.

I absolutely think MS has what it takes to challenge Sony on both quantity and quality now. Problem of course is that their big games are years away and we haven't even seen them yet.

Honestly I think it would be a good move for MS to buy one or two big timed third party exclusives to tide the console over until then. In the short term they are losing quite badly.

3liteDragon

At this point it isn't even a competition Xbox has a significantly superior studio line up, on top of a far more premium stable of iconic franchises. Sony went from being the undisputed market leader with their infrastructure and franchises to now just being a participant in next generation, talk about a fall from dominance.

They lost the console power, the services, and now they lost their edge in games.
sadrfrgwertghwerth.gif

J____Av

The point is for Sony fans they always keep citing those Big 4 studios: Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica & Guerilla Games as the 'holy of holies' studios that can do no wrong. XBox needs several studios are talked about in such hushed tones of reverence.
Insomniac Games might be Sony's most valuable studio

Gamers. We win. Competition is healthy.

Not really though. The only thing competition really brings to video games is the need to buy 4 expensive platforms and tons of controllers / hdds / peripherals every generation to be able to play all games, or having to skip some games every generation because you cannot afford all platforms. I personally can't afford three 500 bucks consoles per generation + a 1500 bucks PC every six years... So no, competition is not healthy for gamers, it just makes us broke. Nobody wins in a world where you have to spend 2000+ dollars on hardware each console generation to play all exclusives. More cash spent on hardware means less cash to purchase actual games, meaning you're paying way more to overcome the barriers of entry to some platforms that you actually buy and encourage game devs making the games you love.

Personally, I always love generations where a single console wipes the floor with the other consoles, because it means I can buy a single 500 bucks console and have pretty much every single important title playable on it. Actually loved the situation the past few generations because you had Nintendo doing it's thing (and me not caring about their first party), MS releasing only a handful of exclusives I didn't care about and that were on PC anyway, meaning I only needed to buy a PS5 and keeping a half-decent PC around to play pretty much everything I wanted to. Heck switch could even be emulated for the few games I cared about, meaning I was missing out on pretty much gears and halo each generation and nothing else...

Besides, there will always be competition when it comes to individual games fighting for the content of your wallet, no need to have greedy publishers trying to sell you their crappy proprietary hardware just so you can play stuff you can't play anywhere else. Personally, I wish consoles would be gone at this point and we only had a single platform with all games published on it... I just don't want microsoft to get another monopoly like they did with PC...

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I know it hurts and I also know when we are hurt we turn to funny gifs to make us feel better inside, so I understand what you are going through.

XOXO from me to you.
At this point it isn't even a competition Xbox has a significantly superior studio line up, on top of a far more premium stable of iconic franchises. Sony went from being the undisputed market leader with their infrastructure and franchises to now just being a participant in next generation, talk about a fall from dominance.

They lost the console power
, the services, and now they lost their edge in games.
Imagine how much of a shallow and delusional fanboy you gotta be to type this out with a straight face.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I know it hurts and I also know when we are hurt we turn to funny gifs to make us feel better inside, so I understand what you are going through.

XOXO from me to you.

Maybe we should wait for those acquisitions to bear fruit before placing a crown on someone's head. We also don't know Microsoft's intentions with the Zenimax catalogue. The last acquisition they made anywhere near this size was Mojang and Microsoft has not made that IP exclusive. Granted, Phil is the boss now so it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Jaybe

You left out Insomniac Games, bought in Feb for $229 million USD. They are more talented than any of Zenimax's studios picked up today.

MS has the money, but talented creative types will stay where they have trust and freedom. Sony knows how to cultivate these places better than MS and it has and will continue to pay off for them.

tryDEATH

How about a funny gif that is quite apropos?

tenor.gif

Maybe you can play a uplifting chord progression for you and you're fallen comrade.

Imagine how much of a shallow and delusional fanboy you gotta be to type this out with a straight face.

Don't take this so personal, you just won't be able to talk sh*t on a forum like you have been doing for as long as you have been on here. So, just like all the other Sony lackeys on here take the L with grace and stay dormant for a bit, because with every reply you just come across as more and more bitter and pathetic with all the spinning and denial you are exhibiting.

3liteDragon

Don't take this so personal, you just won't be able to talk sh*t on a forum like you have been doing for as long as you have been on here. So, just like all the other Sony lackeys on here take the L with grace and stay dormant for a bit, because with every reply you just come across as more and more bitter and pathetic with all the spinning and denial you are exhibiting.
You saying dumb shit like this just proves my point lol.

Hezekiah

Banned
Hasn't Sony overdone the 'narrative' experience with the endless cut-scenes? Zelda BOTW is not like that and it's old 17 million copies. People just want to play the game, not watch a movie.
This sounds a lot like a post from somebody who hasn't played many Sony first-party games this gen.

Either that or your ignorance is blinding.

tryDEATH

You saying dumb shit like this just proves my point lol.

Really, you must not then be aware of the sh*t you post, because it is infinitely worse than what I post. Have fun being in denial before the generation even starts. Can't wait for Sony PR hot takes you will be coming out in the next few days.

3liteDragon

Really, you must not then be aware of the sh*t you post, because it is infinitely worse than what I post. Have fun being in denial before the generation even starts. Can't wait for Sony PR hot takes you will be coming out in the next few days.
You sound like a pathetic little child. Quote me the posts that you think are “infinitely worse” and more immature than yours. “Sony PR hot takes” lol.

Last edited:

gow3isben

This was a massive uppercut to Sony and Sony is reeling. One more big purchase and it is killshot. Sony imo needs to step up. They depend on gaming unlike Microsoft, they NEED to dominate this market. Capcom or Square. Problem is they simply can't compete financially, so if Microsoft keeps this train going it is over. They are definitely big enough to eat major losses the next 4 or so years when there isn't as much a return on their investment but long term they are going to cut Sony's head off.

SAD!

3liteDragon

I am the pathetic little child, dude you got your profile on private so people can't easily see all the trash takes you have had since you joined. Try hooping of Sony if you can jump that high, because it seems to be dislodged really far up into you and that is unhealthy.
Opened it up, tell me if you still can’t see posts.

Last edited:

DryvBy

With Zenimax purchase and all the money that Microsoft has they are in a better position. The only strategy that sony has this new generation is the price increase of the games. They need to act fast and change their strategy with new aquisitions and new IPs. Just with Elder Scrolls, Microsoft has a bigger IP than any Sony IP.

You are aware than this upcoming gen is going to be $70 across the board. The main reason you're seeing some $60 prices is because cross gen. That will end and we're going to have to get used to $70, after the MTX tax, about $350.

tryDEATH

Opened it up, tell me if you still can’t see posts.
I don't understand what do you want me to do with this information? lol

You expect me to shovel through all the fanboy cheerleading and do a best of competition from your posts? You had your sh*t on private and even now disabled your reaction just like all the other Sony cheerleaders. I have read plenty of your fanboy post to know what sort of poster you are on here and I am no where near the blind loyalist to Xbox like you are to Sony.

3liteDragon

I don't understand what do you want me to do with this information? lol

You expect me to shovel through all the fanboy cheerleading and do a best of competition from your posts? You had your sh*t on private and even now disabled your reaction just like all the other Sony cheerleaders. I have read plenty of your fanboy post to know what sort of poster you are on here and I am no where near the blind loyalist to Xbox like you are to Sony.
Then quote me my posts and prove it instead of just spouting bs. And I didn’t even disable my reactions, I don’t think there’s an option separately for that. Anyone disagreeing with you is a “Sony cheerleader” lol.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Then quote me my posts and prove it instead of just spouting bs. And I didn’t even disable my reactions, I don’t think there’s an option separately for that. Anyone disagreeing with you is a “Sony cheerleader” lol.

You seem to think I care enough to go through your post history, well let me tell you I don't. One thing is for sure everyone on here knows you're a Sony fanboy and as I said I have read you past comments that fall into the significantly worse category when compared to my posts.

Also I don't mind people disagreeing, I just don't buy it from Sony fanboys that are spinning on overdrive since the news came out about Bethesda and the other less than positive announcements from Sony after their last show.

3liteDragon

You seem to think I care enough to go through your post history, well let me tell you I don't. One thing is for sure everyone on here knows you're a Sony fanboy and as I said I have read you past comments that fall into the significantly worse category when compared to my posts.

Also I don't mind people disagreeing, I just don't buy it from Sony fanboys that are spinning on overdrive since the news came out about Bethesda and the other less than positive announcements from Sony after their last show.
In other words, “you’re a Sony fanboy but I can’t prove it.” Have a good one, friend.

I've been saying it since Gamepass became a thing - Microsoft will win the next generation of consoles.
You may be right they have 15 million gamepass subs right now and with the buying of Bethesda it will only grow won't suprise me if it at 50 million by 2030.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony by a long, long way.

They have the vision, consistency and quality.
Unfortunately MS just have boring IP's that have been around for ages and nothing really impressive about them, no 'wow factor'.

Doom 2016 was good but I felt no inclination for the sequel, now they have two shooters I don't want instead of one.
Never cared about any Bethesda games outside that personally. Played Skyrim years ago.

Sony just seem to have that magic touch!

Bryank75

Banned
Who will win?

One of them won't even post sales numbers.
It will only take a few weeks to see how the consoles are going to shake out. I think the bethesda boys will be disappointed with the results.

Reminds me of the time I turned off Ewing 23 just to see Cliff Barnes face!

Last edited:
It’s honestly to early to judge until we see what these newly acquired studios can actually do when their games are completed. They might have some winners and they might have some turds. The Sony studios have more of a proven and trustworthy track record I feel based on reviews and consumer opinions, but it should be interesting to see what these new studios can conjure up.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Sony and Sucker Punch gave me Ghost of Tsushima, which is my favorite game of the generation and one of my all time.

8yh3p95k96z41.gif

If Sony announced a sequel for the PS5 I'd buy one straight away.

If Microsoft can give me a game that promised the same kind of experience, then I'd buy their system.

In the end the software is all that matters. Give gamers titles they want to play and they'll come in droves.

kungfuian

Sony and Nintendo have earned their positions. AAA exclusives I can't get anywhere equals guaranteed purchase from me.

Microsoft's new direction works great for me too. As the owner of a pc with decent specs I can spend $10-15 or whatever and play all their games. No commitment and no need for more hardware. Just one more way for me to access games on my PC.

From a market perspective kind of interested to see if this big purchase is the tipping point that leads to a developer/publisher gold rush style buy up over the next few years. The platform holders (Steam, Epic, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, etc.) might have their hands forced. They can't afford to sit back while all the good IP and talent gets snatched up and walled off to their competitors platforms. I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive consolidation of the games industry around a few large companies this next gen.

Nico_D

Win what? How is it measured? Profit? Quality of games? Is that based on subjective user experience or subjective critical response? Amount of games? Number of new IPs? Number of studios acquired?

Top Bottom