• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox head Phil Spencer says console tribalism is ‘one of the worst things about our industry’

Kokoloko85

The most passive aggressive “leader” in video game history.
He cant make his mind up what his competition is, then throws low key insults when he can, then changes his mind.
Then he comes out with this....

What a tool. No wonder There is no direction with Xbox. He’s banking on buying big studios to save his ass and xbox from failure

Last edited:
PR is PR, these companies are out to make money and are going to pump their product up as the thing you can't live with. Personally I've never seen either company say buy our consol, but don't buy theirs because it sucks. You typically see the opposite, congratulations for successful releases or benchmark accomplishments. The fanboy gibberish is 1000x more caustic than anything Phil has ever said in an interview so I struggle a bit with the hate. MS has done a really good job listening to their base since he took over Xbox. As a platform owner I think he's good for the brand and I hope he keeps at it.

I’m really against this narrative because it just leads to people hiding their affinity towards a platform instead of being honest about it. There’s no reason to live in the closet, if you love something be open about it and if you have irrational hatred towards a brand just be honest about it so we know to disregard your opinion.

ANIMAL1975

I feel sorry for Phil, i know inside he's crying, thinking where dat 30% GPU power advantage went, after those face-offs start rolling out. Where's my 12TF beast dat eats monsters for lunch, only full RDNA2 GPU in da world? This interview is just his warrior tribalist self being trying to deviate attentions from the hot topic of the day, trying to ignore the defeat. I feel sorry for him, he was so confident about sX after seeing the PS5 reveal, like he said in a interview the next day.

Raonak

Banned
Honestly the console wars are the best part of gaming discussions. Without it what would we even talk about?

Oppoi

Honestly the console wars are the best part of gaming discussions. Without it what would we even talk about?

It would be like "heya neighbour doya like games as much is I doya? Yup, yup yup. Ughhhhn...." platform wars are better agreeed.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
The man is a fool. The only reason Xbox sells as much as it does is because of console tribalism. If you were to compare it to Nintendo and Sony, it's not even in the same realm in terms of the games it puts out. Any non-partisan gamer looking for a console to buy would surely choose Xbox last. He should thank his lucky stars that Xbox has such a fervent fanbase.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
He says this while his own media team does this.....

kKDv0b7.png

The Alien

Banned
If you listen carefully, you can still hear Craig crying in the background.

That meme seriously did some damage to this poor man.
Honestly.....good.

I was (and am) excited for Halo. I blame Phil and others for showing that turkey. Then days later decided to delay...which meant they knew what was up.

I think Phil has done wondrous thing for XBox...yep, wondrous. But he deserves a big L slap for that Halo Infinite showing.

BeardGawd

Banned
Such a great statement. Both sides miss out on sooo much because they have such an irrational hate towards the other products. I think it all comes down to if my platform isn’t winning than I somehow chose wrong so my platform must win at all costs.

With cross play being a thing zi hope this mentality becomes a thing of the past.

Azurro

Banned
I mean, I suppose that's an admirable sentiment but yet comes across hypocritical.

He says tribalism is one of the worst things in the industry. It's actually of any entertainment industry but I agree, toxic exaggerated tribalism is terrible.

However, he goes ahead with this virtuous speech, while for months he has been throwing a bit dishonest narrative to its fanbase. Telling impressionable fanboys how his new console "eats monsters for breakfast", is "the most powerful console in history", is "the only console with full RDNA2" and other things that stretch the truth to make Xbox look better and yet when actual games and benchmarks come out, he gets on his horse and lectures people because his fanbase got upset that the narrative he pushed didn't come to pass.

If he genuinely dislikes the ridiculous console warring, he shouldn't contribute to it with the typical bs Microsoft marketing he puts out there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean, I suppose that's an admirable sentiment but yet comes across hypocritical.

He says tribalism is one of the worst things in the industry. It's actually of any entertainment industry but I agree, toxic exaggerated tribalism is terrible.

However, he goes ahead with this virtuous speech, while for months he has been throwing a bit dishonest narrative to its fanbase. Telling impressionable fanboys how his new console "eats monsters for breakfast", is "the most powerful console in history", is "the only console with full RDNA2" and other things that stretch the truth to make Xbox look better and yet when actual games and benchmarks come out, he gets on his horse and lectures people because his fanbase got upset that the narrative he pushed didn't come to pass.

If he genuinely dislikes the ridiculous console warring, he shouldn't contribute to it with the typical bs Microsoft marketing he puts out there.

Piggyback on your post, I think he should also lead by example.

Stop having you and your executives constantly going on podcasts and signal boosting some of the most toxic fanatics for Team Green otherwise it comes off as, “it’s okay for our fans to be this way, just not other platform fans to be this way, don’t be toxic and buy an Xbox, please.”

Just my two pesos. Actions speak louder than words, but, they are kind of stuck with those toxic YouTube and Twitter channels they helped signal boost over the years since these influencers, ambassadors are free marketing.

Dabaus

Banned
I feel like this is Phil begging PlayStation gamers to give them a chance. Or maybe gamers just in general because he saw first day sales. Imagine an nba coach complaining about the lakers are too popular and we need less tribalism after owning a team that lost every game. That’s Phil right now.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

This guy...

Constantly talking out of both sides of his mouth. One day they are spouting clear jabs about perceived power differences, the next it’s all kumbaya around the campfire.

Curious timing how the tone changes. Almost as if he is just a PR mouthpiece who has never had anything of substance to say from day 1 except for “just wait, the games are coming!”

DavidGzz

When they buy Sega tomorrow those fanboy tears will be delicious. So yes, fanboys are retarded but at least they provide entertainment.

BeardGawd

Banned
A lot of fanboys treat the other console like the anti-christ when at the end of the day they all just play games. It's like Democrats and Republicans. They demonize whatever stance the other side takes just because it's the other side. When MS said they would support XB1 for the next couple years that garnered all kinds of shit posting from PS fans only for Sony to announce the same thing.

Edit: there's nothing wrong with light hearted jabs. Nothing Xbox/PS has done has been toxic. Its the fanboys. Some of you miss the simplest of points.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Spencer says he finds toxic brand loyalty to be distasteful and despises the idea that companies like Microsoft “have to see others fail” in order to achieve their goals. “That tribalism in the industry, if there was anything that would ever drive me out of the industry, it’s actually that,”

“But there is a core that just really hates the other consumer product,”

urghh...no offense, but less talking, more work please.
rather than blame everything to the state of industry, better work hard to win back those mindshare. bring back competition.

current situation is because you guys screw up bad last gen. you cant complain when other competitor doing better while you are not.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
Phil Spencer is a decent guy but he seems prone to saying whatever is most expedient for his brand. I mean, one Phil's most retweeted/interacted people on social media is Timdog. A vile console warrior who has on podcasts admitted to arguing with children who chose a PS4, about their console purchases, inside gamestop.

He sends early Series X units to Dealer. A guy who has homophobic rants on social media. He deleted a few but the idea that you would send people to his content by giving him an early unit, knowing that they're a click away from homophobia goes against everything he is saying.

Why a division within a trillion dollar conglomerate needs to associate with such individuals is problematic in itself. But having your people within your company associate with such people, despite people calling out how problematic that is for years... Means that despite the fact that Phil's statement is genuine and his sentiment is pure. They end up seeming disingenuous because of the brands wilful association with such individuals.

I heard a dealer homophobic rant that was posted on reddit and it damn near made my ears bleed.

Top Bottom