• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Heading into Next Generation in a Position of Strength

Bryank75

Banned
  • Xbox Live
  • XBLA
  • Party chat
  • Friends list
  • Built in hard drive
  • External hard drive support
  • Achievements
  • Xbox games pass
  • Xbox Games with gold
  • Xbox adaptive controller
  • Elite controller
  • Controller that has and is an inspiration for most gaming controllers
  • Wireless controller standard (first with Xbox 360)
  • Cloud saving
  • Cross-play supporters
  • Cross-buy enabled
  • Cross-gen games enabled (no need to buy the same game twice for new generation console i.e Cyberpunk)
  • Xcloud
  • Azure cloud services (even supports rival PlayStation Network)

yes I know most of these are on other consoles but Xbox has been a pioneer for many consumer friendly features.
And the games? All that shit means nothing to me if I don't have great games. 360 had but mostly from 3rd party devs.

A massive amount of people will say PS1 and PS2 or one of the early nintendos or Sega consoles was their favorite console ever and they had none of that superfluous stuff.

All a distraction from what we are meant to be doing on a console.

Last edited:
worldwide_totals.png

source: position_of_power.png
Vgchartz........lol

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
So strong, Yet the series x reveal came and went like it was nothing. Sorry but they just don't have the mindshare.

While agree they dont have the mindshare of playstation, come on now, all the xsx news did not come and go like it was nothing.

THEAP99

Banned
While agree they dont have the mindshare of playstation, come on now, all the xsx news did not come and go like it was nothing.
It did. The shock-factor came and went quickly and I know this based on social media engagement numbers and being friends with what many would call, the "casual gamer."

It's like the internet blew up when Sony did the controller reveal, felt like an event almost.
The Series X Reveal itself didn't do so hot engagement wise and I think the name has somewhat to do with it. The whole "X" is too similar to "one x" all around it's just bad vibes. Should be trying to start fresh.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Halo Infinite gameplay reveal will get some mindshare back. This is chess, not boxing.

Last edited:
And the games? All that shit means nothing to me if I don't have great games. 360 had but mostly from 3rd party devs.

A massive amount of people will say PS1 and PS2 or one of the early nintendos or Sega consoles was their favorite console ever and they had none of that superfluous stuff.

All a distraction from what we are meant to be doing on a console.
Cool but why not just say that to begin with? You brought up all these MS negatives and when someone counterpoints with all the positives you switch tact to “but the games”. Sony trolls ree-ing up every thread with “but the games” is pointless because it’s a known fact. We get it, you’re disappointed with their output this gen. Either wait and see what they reveal for this upcoming gen and judge that or stfu. You’re adding nothing of value to the conversation.

OT, majority are going to come into this thread and post sales metrics, cause I mean, dur, it’s peak GAF wartime. MS are getting a lot better at a lot of things though, even if you’re a Sony fan you should want this cause it only pushes competition further.

Sosokrates

It did. The shock-factor came and went quickly and I know this based on social media engagement numbers and being friends with what many would call, the "casual gamer."

It's like the internet blew up when Sony did the controller reveal, felt like an event almost.
The Series X Reveal itself didn't do so hot engagement wise and I think the name has somewhat to do with it. The whole "X" is too similar to "one x" all around it's just bad vibes. Should be trying to start fresh.

What social media engagement numbers?

Last time i checked XsX info has millions of social media hits and views of xsx videos, many videos and articles have been made about the xsx.
Just because PS5 has more, does not mean xsx reveils just faded away.

A lot better spot

• More powerful hardware then the competition? Check ✓
  • A very competitive array of over 15 first party studios? Check ✓
  • Competitive at price? Check ✓
  • Excellent team focused on gaming? check ✓
  • Pro consumer? check ✓
Most powerful hardware CHECK. Lol
As if that was ever the barometer of success for any successful console or handheld in the history of this industry.

You guys really need to let go of that 🤣

It was (and will always be) about the GAMES. The quicker you guys get it through your thick skulls the better.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Halo Infinite gameplay reveal will get some mindshare back. This is chess, not boxing.

Why?

Not trying to be difficult or contrarian here, just wondering why this particular Halo at this particular time is going to move the needle more than the last few releases have.

If you look at the big movers and shakers are in the FPS genre these days I'm really not sure where Halo fits in anymore. Things have moved on a lot since the mid 2000's when the franchise was at its peak popularity. Not to suggest there isn't an audience for it, just that it seems to me to be addressing a different crowd than what today's top titles are.

Like I said, it feels like its another case of Xbox preaching to the choir.

Last edited:
Why?

Not trying to be difficult or contrarian here, just wondering why this particular Halo at this particular time is going to move the needle more than the last few releases have.

If you look at the big movers and shakers are in the FPS genre these days I'm really not sure where Halo fits in anymore. Things have moved on a lot since the mid 2000's when the franchise was at its peak popularity. Not to suggest there isn't an audience for it, just that it seems to me to be addressing a different crowd than what today's top titles are.

Been thinking about this since Halo Infinite reveal.
No idea why some think Halo will blow up the charts for Series X.

Arkam

I think MS is in a great position going into next gen. Will that mean they do well? IDK, we will see. But I think its pretty objective to say that have a great buzz right now. All they gotta do is deliver.

Great Hair

Banned
  • Xbox Live DREAMCAST ONLINE 99, 00
  • XBLA NetYaroze 96+
  • Party chat ok, i give you that
  • Friends list ok, i give you that
  • Built in hard drive PCs had them, eh
  • External hard drive support eh
  • Backward Compatability (and 4K upscaling) PS2, PS3-60gb has proper BC
  • Achievements ok, i give you that
  • Xbox game pass some/a retailer stopped supporting M$
  • Games with gold Sony started it years ago ..
  • Xbox adaptive controller ok, i give you that
  • Elite controller both rubbish in build quality
  • Controller that is an inspiration for most gaming controllers ok
  • Wireless controller standard (first with Xbox 360) ok
  • Cloud saving Sony had them aroudn the same time?
  • Cross-play supporters PS2 2001 FF11
  • Cross-buy games (PC-Xbox) Sony had them since the vita days
  • Cross-gen games enabled (no need to buy the same game twice for new generation console i.e Cyberpunk) UP to the developer, not MS
  • Xcloud gaming Sony had it first, since 2013 .. and successfully
  • Azure cloud services (even supports rival PlayStation Network) ok

yes I know most of these are on other consoles but Xbox has been a pioneer for many consumer friendly features.

Microsoft has been known for making very good PC gamepads and encarta. They didnt pioneer most of what you claim at all. Achievements are consumer friendly, how?

Let me add some more pioneering features done by Microsoft
- pissing off Mac Fans by acquiring Bungie and their mac game
- ubigate? did we forget mircosoftogato? and their doctored halo 2 footage
- PAID online gaming, when literally everyone had it for free
- moneyhatting some of the sega games like Shenume 2
- moneyhatting most pc games from morrowind to kotor, ninja gaiden
- dvd dongle for an extra $50
- over $5billion losses (fat xbox, in 5years)
- riping off PS2 Eye Toy Kinetic for their Kinect 360 naming
- most likely sniffing data from their users since kinect 360
- Original 360 defect rate was 68 per cent
- $1billion repair (360), maybe even more
- sony paid for microsofts 360 cpu , 2nd link, 3rd link
- kinect years
- kinect plays an intricate role in xbone, "you can not simply switch it off" - Nelson
- fake ass kinect techdemos Peter Molyneux´s and others
- microsoft major debacle XBoX One reveal, DRM, TV, Spoarts
- "pristine VR! and never seen HQ pixels!"
- parity clause still a thing
- Microsoft and Machinima paying youtubers to promote Xbone
- shitty long installation (disc)
- broken elite controllers v1 and v2
- PAID F2P games
- PAID online for non gaming apps like netflix
- Halo 5 controversy, removing of said clips (youtube channel)
- the whole cross play was just a farçe,
- more to come ...

;)
all in jest

What concern?
They have acquired and expanded talented devs, so I dont know why anyone would doubt these devs more then sonys.

I actually have a LOT of faith in Ninja Theory in particular; they had arguably the most impressive early-gen PS3 title in Heavenly Sword, actually, and right now out of all revealed next-gen games the two I'm looking most forward to are Hellbalde 2 & Project Mara, both incidentally NT games. With the right budget and maybe some team expansion, they could be the next Naughty Dog, hell maybe even more.

But I also get what icerock is saying; we need to see MS do more with IPs besides the usual Forza, Halo and Gears. Having them as tentpoles isn't an issue but bringing back some fan-favorite older IPs and creating new epic IPs is just as important. And hopefully this time, they stick with them. Games like Sunset Overdrive should've gotten at least one sequel, but never happened. Same with Ryse, and even Recore. We've "only" gotten an Ori sequel 5 years later, which tbf isn't any bigger a gap than say the typical Mario platformer sequel, but I think Mario can get away with those gaps better since they always feature him in other non-mainline platformers in-between those big releases, so they retain mindshare that way.

Personally what I want from MS next-gen in terms of new IPs and reboots:

-A Ryse sequel

-A Gunvalkyrie remake or reboot (they'd have to work with SEGA on that since SEGA owns the IP)

-New MechWarrior

-Some new AAA JRPG (SEGA again; since they're already doing PSO2 western release, why not a Phantasy Star 5?)

-Blinx 3 (don't laugh)

-A Lost Planet revival with Capcom

-Jet Force Gemini remake (original game had potential not realized due to N64 limitations)

..those are the main ones for me. Other stuff like Fable reboot, Perfect Dark etc. are practically a given so no need to mention them, though I look forward a lot to those as well.

Microsoft has been known for making very good PC gamepads and encarta. They didnt pioneer most of what you claim at all. Achievements are consumer friendly, how?

- kinect years
- kinect plays an intricate role in xbone, "you can not simply switch it off" - Nelson
- PAID F2P games
- more to come ...

;)
all in jest

Pathetic post; did you not read the ending sentence in their original post before getting triggered? Yes maybe saying "pioneered" was the wrong word but MS definitely iterated on a lot of those to a point where they became standards in the industry.

If you guys are this easily offended over that kind of stuff why do you even bother replying?

Microsoft is playing catch up, are they doing some things right, yes they are.
But make no mistake they need to prove themselves.

I don't think you can be in a position of strength when you fucked up the last generation so badly.

I hope they do well but they need to earn people's trust back.
Show the games, good games, end of story

Not to be "that guy" but they did last year and ranked #7 for best publisher in 2019. Sony WWS? #22, same year.

"Good games" doesn't mean simply single-player, story-driven, mature-themed cinematic games. I get people like those and MS could benefit from a few more of them, but there are good games of all types and it would help if more people kept that in mind before insinuating MS's had zero this gen or the only good games they had were Forza.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Spec-wise yes. However, even if XSX is $399 and PS5 is $499, xbox will still be outsold (worldwide).

We have witnessed similar things happening too many times, for example, Apple phones with inferior specs (before A9, A10 era).

Partially the explanation is due to herd mentality.
Xbone cost $100 more than PS4 at launch and was 40% weaker.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I knew this thread would deliver. Its pretty much bait and all the blue warriors came rushing in for lol.

OT: As per the article, they are in a good position but Sony still owns the majority of the market share.

But carry on guys team "13.3 tf" all the way ✊🏼

pr0cs

Microsoft messaging has been really good, they're definitely firing on all cylinders. They need to announce an aggressive price and they'll be in a great position.
At this point launch for both consoles will depend heavily on software.

Alphagear

Why?

Completely agree.

Halo isn't the Halo of old. First reason being the last few releases were fairly average and the second reason being the competition has caught up and producing superior shooters.

I doubt 343 are capable of bringing Halo back to its glory days. Just simply too many great shooters out there.

Reminds me abit of what happened to Gran Turismo. Competition caught up and it simply doesn't stand out anymore. Releasing it every 5 years doesn't help considering the output from the competition.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yeah. I believe Xbox is certainly on a long-term positive trend.

It's much harder for Sony for example, because the stakes are higher...

JTCx

- kinect years
- PAID F2P games
- more to come ...

;)
all in jest
you forgot Games for WIndows Live.

lmfao

Dodkrake

Banned
Spec-wise yes. However, even if XSX is $399 and PS5 is $499, xbox will still be outsold (worldwide).

We have witnessed similar things happening too many times, for example, Apple phones with inferior specs (before A9, A10 era).

Partially the explanation is due to herd mentality.

The other part is that I can play MS games in my computer with higher quality than a standard XBOX but can't play games like GOW. Exclusives matter, a lot.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It will be dependent on quality.

Everything will be based on quality, and the microscope is on Microsoft’s Xbox division. Not only must Halo be a grand slam, but so must those coming from studios Microsoft spend some much money on acquiring.

It wasn’t long ago investors wanted the Xbox division shuttered, yet Microsoft doubled down and was able to eek out a profit, mostly because of gamepass.

I like the term, ' Heading into Next Generation in a Position of Strength '
Anyone who does analysis (and who overseen console history), can just feel it in their bones Series X will be something big. :messenger_bicep:
Jim told me about you and your little past history with Sony during our daily Zoom lunch break.

It seems you were a very naughty boy.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
  • Xbox Live
  • XBLA
  • Party chat
  • Friends list
  • Built in hard drive
  • External hard drive support
  • Backward Compatability (and 4K upscaling)
  • Achievements
  • Xbox game pass
  • Games with gold
  • Xbox adaptive controller
  • Elite controller
  • Controller that is an inspiration for most gaming controllers
  • Wireless controller standard (first with Xbox 360)
  • Cloud saving
  • Cross-play supporters
  • Cross-buy games (PC-Xbox)
  • Cross-gen games enabled (no need to buy the same game twice for new generation console i.e Cyberpunk)
  • Xcloud gaming
  • Azure cloud services (even supports rival PlayStation Network)

This looks like a list from someone who started gaming a few years ago.

Microsoft wasn't the pioneer for most of these features.

- PS Now and OnLive were cloud services before MS.
- Sony supported Cross-play with PS2\PC with Final Fantasy 7
- Most controllers are inspired from Nintendo
- PlayStation supported Backward Compatibility before Sony, and there was BC on Genesis and Atari consoles.
- PlayStation supported Cross-buy with some PS3\PS4
- PS2 had external Harddrive support through USB
- I notice you said built in HDD. But PS2 had HDD before Xbox
- First List\Part Charts were adopted from PC gaming.. Things such as Gamespy were a thing.
- I wouldn't call paying for gaming consumer friendly features since we're playing to play these games online

- PlayStation supported Backward Compatibility before Sony, and there was BC on Genesis and Atari consoles.
- First List\Part Charts were adopted from PC gaming.. Things such as Gamespy were a thing.
- I wouldn't call paying for gaming consumer friendly features since we're playing to play these games online

You conveniently forget Game Pass was a huge innovation. What about Xbox Design Labs, Adaptive controller? These are all totally unique from Microsoft.

Barakov

Gold Member

:messenger_confused:
.......You mean FF11, right?

Sosokrates

Everything will be based on quality, and the microscope is on Microsoft’s Xbox division. Not only must Halo be a grand slam, but so must those coming from studios Microsoft spend some much money on acquiring.

It wasn’t long ago investors wanted the Xbox division shuttered, yet Microsoft doubled down and was able to eek out a profit, mostly because of gamepass.

Indeed, people expect a 90+ halo.
However obsidian have always been hovering in that 80-85 meta and ninja theorys hellblade scored 81, despite these scores there games have been positively received.
So i dont think it would be bad if there next games scored similary

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You conveniently forget Game Pass was a huge innovation. What about Xbox Design Labs, Adaptive controller? These are all totally unique from Microsoft.
PS Now and Game Pass have a lot of similarities. They both offer a big catalog of games you can play for a monthly fee. MS allowed you to download games on to your console before Sony, but Sega offered Sega Channel back in the 90's

Saying MS offered wireless controllers first at launch is just list padding.Wireless controllers were a thing well before the 360. If Bluetooth was standard, many companies would've started offering bluetooth controllers from the start.

I'm not saying MS were not pioneers some things in the gaming industry.

nosseman

Most powerful hardware CHECK. Lol
As if that was ever the barometer of success for any successful console or handheld in the history of this industry.

You guys really need to let go of that 🤣

It was (and will always be) about the GAMES. The quicker you guys get it through your thick skulls the better.

Did you see this:

Better resolution and Faster Processing Power came in first and third in the factors deciding what console they bought.

I think you are underestimating just how important power is when you are choosing between two similar systems.

To be in a position of power, you have to have shown something that will put you in that place. MS is going against a Sony that has sold 110+ million units and a surging Nintendo that just outsold MS’s LTD Xbone sales in a few years with Switch. Where in all of this is MS supposed to be showing this position of strength?

TBiddy

To be in a position of power, you have to have shown something that will put you in that place. MS is going against a Sony that has sold 110+ million units and a surging Nintendo that just outsold MS’s LTD Xbone sales in a few years with Switch. Where in all of this is MS supposed to be showing this position of strength?

You could start by reading the article instead of just the headline.

farmerboy

We can argue semantics all night long, but I'll say this - XBOX have definitely put themselves in the best position they can. So far they've hit the right notes, they've built a quality console and made inroads into the negative perceptions about 1st party content.

What's not to like about that?

As a Sony guy, it just makes me all the more impatient to see the PS5 in full.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Anyone who does analysis (and who overseen console history), can just feel it in their bones Series X will be something big. :messenger_bicep:
I can feel it in my pants.

Dabaus

Banned

Its hard to tell whats sarcasm or who the true believers are anymore, but if this is an elaborate troll, phil avatar and all, Bravo to you sir.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Among their faithful, sure. Not sure if that counts as a position of a strength when relating to the overall market. Under-performing in the generation that was the break out season for Digital Libraries will leave long term consequences.

Mr Hyde

Very excited to see how Microsoft performs next generation. Series X seems like a force to be reckoned with and Sony needs a run for their money so they don´t lose their edge.

Flintty

I’m feeling positive and excited about the Series X. Don’t give a fuck about the shite being said by the PS4 fanboys. Hoping for a decent gen with way better first party output than the One had, and all the signs so far are positive for me.

Top Bottom