• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Home UI 2023 info and screenshot

Bullet Club

HsZuc9a.jpg

Key updates in this first round of preview updates:
  • The new “Jump back in” row gives you quick access to your most recently played games and apps.
  • Easily access important system apps like Settings, Store, Search and My Games & Apps with their own dedicated tiles on Xbox Home.
  • Consistent design and visual identifiers with updated layouts to keep the experience familiar.
  • When you scroll down, you’ll see curated categories and recommendations tailored to your gaming preferences.
sJjActq.png

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Rectangular are not in fashion, right? Just add some damn border-radius, shadows, opacity/blur and it will look more "modern".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't have any issue with the current UI.

As long as this one isn't slow and unresponsive, I'm OK.
Agreed. The Xbox Windows 10 kind of dashboard is fine enough for years.

Just dont bog it down like years back on One and X where sifting through the store could take a while as it loads up all the game box pics.

As crazy as it seems the old 360 Blades are still the fastest Xbox dashboard I ever used (never had an OG so not sure about that system). It may not have had the functionality of modern dashboards with all these boxes and apps, but man was it fast.

reinking

Gold Member
I don't mind tiles but how about letting me decide which ones to use and where they go. I don't know, they could basically copy windows 11 at this point and allow the task bar to be used for easy access to settings, friends list and stuff like that.

Jaybe

I wish they would remove the ‘SPONSORED’ tile. They shouldn’t need to resort to likes of banner ads. Any revenue on this has the be a rounding error on the billions they make in the Xbox division. Maybe a Game Pass Ultimate subscription should unlock an ad-free experience just like NeoGAF Gold 😄

Last edited:

sainraja

Glad that’s not final as it is horrific. They should make it like this:
MtkTYQX.jpg
The designer behind that must have been inspired by the PS5 UI. I am waiting and expecting Sony to implement pinned 'gamelists' like shown in the example above (that is similar to how iOS does folders).

Last edited:

CeeJay

Not a massive difference and not necessarily a step in the right direction either but you cant say the Xbox UI team aren't active when it comes to moving shit around. 🤷‍♂️

RoadHazard

Gold Member
iOS, MacOS, Windows 11, PlayStation 5 and many more user. Name those flat design UIs that supposedly are setting new trends.

Pretty much all of those except the Apple stuff are pretty flat. Android (Material Design) DID have a lot of shaded layers etc, but that's not nearly as present in the latest iteration of that design language (but instead they have gone way up on corner radius).

The PS5 UI is a bit of a mix, but mostly flat with sharp corners, just like Windows/Xbox.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I wish they would move to side to side navigation between sections rather than this up and down stuff. Just doesn't jive with me. I do like they are adding a top of row of recently played. Not sure I like system functions as tiled apps though.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Never liked the UI, but luckily I only spend about 0.1% of my time there.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I really thought the corners were sharp lol. I remembered wrong. I haven't used my PS5 in about two days after all.

But it's still pretty flat, which was my main point.

Log in to YouTube. That's pretty flat. PS5 UI is full of shadows / vignette, crazy effects, colourful gradient animated outlines, rounded animated cards and so on. If PS5's UI is flat, the Earth is flat.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Log in to YouTube. That's pretty flat. PS5 UI is full of shadows / vignette, crazy effects, colourful gradient animated outlines, rounded animated cards and so on. If PS5's UI is flat, the Earth is flat.

Rounded doesn't mean not flat. Gradients and outlines don't mean not flat, unless it's the kind of "3D" gradients that iOS used to have on everything (thank god that's gone).

But I also don't think the PS5 UI is the best example of modern UI design. It works well in a gaming context, but I'm talking about UI design trends in general. The Xbox UI is more in line with that, but that doesn't mean it's a better gaming console UI (I don't think it is).

Top Bottom