• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox is a family toast center" - Jarosh

Hanmik

xbhaskarx said:
The Xbox is set to automatically log into your profile.
The Xbox is set to automatically log into Xbox Live.
The Xbox can be set to automatically launch a game when you put it in.

So what are you talking about?

So when you said "adding all this stuff is not positive for me" what you meant is "anything they do is irrelevant to me as I do not own an Xbox."

My PS3 is also set to automatically log onto and start games.. but I still have to update games and FW alot (If I wish to be online).. it just was easier before.. when you had a gaming console not a "Family entertainment center" or a "Media Center" .. maybe it´s just me getting old and more of an idiot..

and about the "not positive for me" stuff.... the other consoles out there follow the same recipe. Facebook, videoservices etc.. they are also on the console I´m using at the moment..

but fuck it.. I´m obviously very wrong and fucked up in my head for having my own opinion. sorry for that.. just write down your opinion and I will adopt to it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hanmik said:
My PS3 is also set to automatically log onto and start games.. but I still have to update games and FW alot (If I wish to be online).. it just was easier before.. when you had a gaming console not a "Family entertainment center" or a "Media Center" .. maybe it´s just me getting old and more of an idiot..

But this isn't a problem with the 360. Game updates take <1 minute (their sizes are capped), and firmware updates (which come once every 3-6 months) take 1-3 minutes. Your complaint doesn't speak to a problem with anyone's emphasis on non-gaming features, it speaks to Sony's horrendous patching system.

but fuck it.. I´m obviously very wrong and fucked up in my head for having my own opinion. sorry for that.. just write down your opinion and I will adopt to it.

If you don't want to take part in conversations, don't post. You're welcome to your opinion, but if people disagree, they get to tell you why they disagree.

I am actually really pleased with ESPN 3 on the xbox now. I use it all the time to watch football (soccer) matches here in the US in HD. The amount of content they put up on it is pretty impressive.

TheOddOne

Hanmik said:
You kind of made your own point, everybody it entitled to their opinion. You put your message out there, so you should not be suprised if somebody goes in on it. No offense, but if you go the whole ''Its my opinion, deal with it'' route, you could have just made a blog post. This is for all intent purposes a discussion board.

Edit: Stumpokapow beat me too the punch <3

Shurs

the nightman cometh said:
I am actually really pleased with ESPN 3 on the xbox now. I use it all the time to watch football (soccer) matches here in the US in HD. The amount of content they put up on it is pretty impressive.

I like it too, as I don't have cable.

I do wish they'd archive the NBA games rather than removing them the next day. I want an "On-Demand" experience, I don't want to have to be home on a Friday night to watch a game.

Rad Agast

Hanmik said:

and about the "not positive for me" stuff.... the other consoles out there follow the same recipe. Facebook, videoservices etc.. they are also on the console I´m using at the moment..

You might want to check the PS3 CFW thread. There might be a way for you to disable all the other multimedia features which will solve your problem.

Hanmik

Stumpokapow said:
If you don't want to take part in conversations, don't post. You're welcome to your opinion, but if people disagree, they get to tell you why they disagree.

The problem here is that xbhaskarx isn´t trying to discuss or disagree.. he is only stating the he think I am trolling on the X360. I like to discuss stuff.. but not like that..

But this isn't a problem with the 360. Game updates take <1 minute (their sizes are capped), and firmware updates (which come once every 3-6 months) take 1-3 minutes. Your complaint doesn't speak to a problem with anyone's emphasis on non-gaming features, it speaks to Sony's horrendous patching system.

you are right here. Sorry for the confusion.. the X360 is updating MUCH faster. I just think it is a long process (like I think it is on the other consoles) to start a game, compared to last gen. All consoles today have some start up screen, sign in (can be automated), start game screen and more.. all this makes the process of gaming take more time than it used to.

xbhaskarx

Hanmik said:
it just was easier before.. when you had a gaming console not a "Family entertainment center" or a "Media Center" .. maybe it´s just me getting old and more of an idiot..

You should start a thread complaining about all the current gaming consoles.

Hanmik said:
My PS3 is also set to automatically log onto and start games.. but I still have to update games and FW alot (If I wish to be online)..

Or you should start a thread complaining about the PS3. Although I'm pretty sure that is against Killzone avatar club rules.

Shurs

Hanmik said:
The problem here is that xbhaskarx isn´t trying to discuss or disagree.. he is only stating the he think I am trolling on the X360. I like to discuss stuff.. but not like that..

you are right here. Sorry for the confusion.. the X360 is updating MUCH faster. I just think it is a long process (like I think it is on the other consoles) to start a game, compared to last gen. All consoles today have some start up screen, sign in (can be automated), start game screen and more.. all this makes the process of gaming take more time than it used to.

It's the price we pay for post-release improvements. Now I know we could have a discussion about the value of shipping a complete game rather than a work in progress, but that's another topic.

If you don't like the way things currently are handled you can disconnect your console from the internet and set up auto-play disc in the options menu.

Rad Agast

Hanmik said:

It's been pointed to you before, you can setup the console to load the game right away bypassing the dash so it shouldn't bother you at all.

Hanmik said:

If they could just find a way to background patch during unskippable platform/publisher/developer/middleware/ESRB/epilepsy/TOS displays ...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Winterblink said:
If they could just find a way to background patch during unskippable platform/publisher/developer/middleware/ESRB/epilepsy/TOS displays ...

To be fair to all the console manufacturers on this one, silent patching still has a ways to go for PC applications. Chrome is probably the first and only program that truly gets silent patching right.

XTERC

I would actually welcome educational games being brought at a low cost to the major consoles (via online services). Surely interactive media lends itself to 'edutainment' more than Nick Jr. and similar channels?

Firewire

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Although I'm pretty sure that is against Killzone avatar club rules.

So he can't state anything negative about a console he clearly owns because he has an avatar from a game that is exclusive to another console? Console warrior indeed.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Firewire said:
So he can't state anything negative about a console he clearly owns because he has an avatar from a game that is exclusive to another console? Console warrior indeed.
Well, to be fair he did say "mock if old."

Rad Agast

Firewire said:

Did you follow the thread?

Hanmik said:
And no I do NOT own an X360. I had one but it got RROD, and because I live in a very small country it is/was not so easy to get a new one under waranty. In fact X360 is only sold through one shop up here. Because of the troubles (and the price) shops has to go through to, to get the console repaired, most shops stopped selling X360. For 2 years NOT one single shop sold X360, just last year one shop began selling them again (when the Slim was released). ... ahh damn, I could have spared myself this text, you made up your mind the minute you saw my avatar anyway-.-

Either way, his problem is not really a problem since there are multiple solutions available to him any ways (provided by the manufacturers).

jred2k

He really should have said it isn't JUST a gaming console. I never realized people such as Hanmik could be so against having options. I suppose a lot of it is regional, but I have several people on my friends list that use their console just as much, if not more, for Netflix as they do for movies.

Hanmik

jred2k said:
He really should have said it isn't JUST a gaming console. I never realized people such as Hanmik could be so against having options. I suppose a lot of it is regional, but I have several people on my friends list that use their console just as much, if not more, for Netflix as they do for movies.

I´m not 100% against it... but living in a country as I do (The Faroe islands..) we do not have any of options available.. Most of the services are not available in our region. Sometimes you get the button for the Service, and when you press it, it says "not available in your region".. so we just have stuff on our XMB or Dashboard, that takes up space but we cannot use. I can understand that for people living in the US or UK that the thing is living up to be an entertainment center, but for people in (most) other countries, it does not live up to that.

He's right to an extent I suppose with the ability to stream movies from netflix and coming soon hulu.

But I look at the ps3 as more of an entertainment system than my xbox. I have access to netflix, hulu plus, as well as bluray all without the need to pay extra for a online subscription. Honestly if my son and I hadn't already started our lego gaming collection on the xbox and if I didn't have this insatiable obsession with the gears franchise I'd sell my xbox/kinect box.

jjasper

Darklord said:
I don't know anyone who uses their xbox for anything other than games. All that TV and zune and other shit...never once heard about someone using it.

Really? Shit I use mine for ESPN 3 and Netflix almost daily. Now the facebook and twitter just, yeah I never touch that.

Rad Agast

Hanmik said:
I´m not 100% against it... but living in a country as I do (The Faroe islands..) we do not have any of options available.. Most of the services are not available in our region. Sometimes you get the button for the Service, and when you press it, it says "not available in your region".. so we just have stuff on our XMB or Dashboard, that takes up space but we cannot use. I can understand that for people living in the US or UK that the thing is living up to be an entertainment center, but for people in (most) other countries, it does not live up to that.

Hey dude, I know what you mean. We don't get all the extra services here either but I still use my 360 as a media extender and PS3 for physical media player. They're already hooked up to the TV, why should I add a third device just to play multimedia?

Sydle

Well, the capabilities are certainly there and I know a few people who play with their kids and stuff. Not sure what else we're supposed to think on this one.

Ummm....I use mine for Netflix daily.

Rad Agast

Firewire said:
So if you sold the console or it broke down, you can't post anything negative about said console?

How is a gaming console being a multimedia device a negative? Really now.

You just jumped in saying:

Firewire said:

I was pointing out that he doesn't own one and probably for a while now (at least that's what I understand from the post I quoted).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Darklord said:
I don't know anyone who uses their xbox for anything other than games. All that TV and zune and other shit...never once heard about someone using it.

I see lots of my friends list using Netflix from time to time, or stream media from their PCs to their consoles. Personally, I have no use for the multimedia capabilities, I mostly just use 360 to play XBLA/Indie games.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't think anything he said was wrong, controversial, or should be considered wrong/controversial.

I welcome an all-inclusive attitude.

TheOddOne

Azelover said:
They are the ones that can get away with it. Believe me, their viral marketing teams have the gaming communities totally controlled.
This whole viral argument thing is really getting out of hand. By your definition everybody on this board is some kind of viral marketeer.

It's not a farfetched idea, considering all the stuff you can do with it...

...but it's still a game console.

Probably the closest I've come to accepting the idea of game console as "set-top box" is the PS3, because it literally performs every function a media device can do...but even then, the illusion is lost the second I'm playing Street Fighter on it.

PaNaMa

Banned
Board won't let me post more than a couple words. Have a big reply written but it won't post. Yet it will let me type this much =p

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
TheOddOne said:
This whole viral argument thing is really getting out of hand. By your definition everybody on this board is some kind of viral marketeer.

They're usually involved with Microsoft.

theBishop

Banned
You could read anything out of that. But with only one mega exclusive blockbuster gamers-game on the horizon, I wonder if MS execs realize how statements like these will be interpreted. I'm guessing Ballmer is somewhat removed from the regular operations at MS Game Studios.

There shouldn't be some crazy overanalysis of the statement, either.

He was talking to USA Today, and he wanted to make sure to illustrate that his product was more than just a toy - and managed to do so in an intelligent, corporate-jargon/buzzwordy way and simultaneously namedrop all the bulletpoints/features you'd want to advertise the machine with in that one phrase. The old people or stupid people or uninterested people reading this article on a whim may have had their eyes glaze over if this was some discussion about a "game system"...that sort of thing is old news. But a family social entertainment center may be a little more novel to those who don't know better.

Actually, people should study that shit so they know how to speak more effectively.

Malio

This is called "wishful thinking". Which, unfortunately for $teve, has nothing to do with reality.

dude

dude
I'm glad he said it. It makes sense and it means the Xbox will be even better at multimedia in the future.

Gaming is a type entertainment, so why is calling the Xbox an entertainment center a bad thing? It just means it'll support more forms of entertainment.

MrBig

Lots of people use the movie renting feature apparently. I used it for netflix all the time when I still subscribed to it. It used to be my only DVD player (laptop w/ bluray to TV via HDMI now.)
Only game that ever gets put in it is reach now.

coopolon

It is a terrible media center for enthusiasts, it's file comparability is awful, even worse than the ps3's. But I could see it being pretty good for average family except the need for overpriced gold subscriptions to get it's best features and it's lack of built in wireless n in older models or the ability to add it cheaply (for the price of a wireless n dongle you can get a much better media device.) also no blu ray but maybe most families don't care about that.

-PXG-

...And this is why I'm not looking forward to the next generation of consoles....

It's more than likely that both the PS4 and the next Xbox will focus more on being multimedia entertainment boxes than actual gaming consoles. This generation is merely a litmus test, and so far, I guess the results are quite good. However, I have plenty of other devices (read: PC) where I can check Facebook, watch sports and stream online radio. There's nothing wrong with having these extra features. But when the gaming aspect is undermined on a console, then you've got a problem. I want to play games first, everything else comes second.

I don't want to waste 300 or 400 bucks on a device with mediocre games, but has two tons of useless features. I want a gaming console to play games. I don't care if I can go on Facebook or watch shit with Hulu. I'm not interested.

Perhaps its finally a good time to make my transition to PC gaming.

_Bro

Banned
Well, my 360 has been:

a DVD player
a Netflix streaming device
a iPod player
a game console

I also rarely did any of these alone in the past 1-2 years so forever alone GAF can deal with rich people being right.

edit: And if anything, this should be a positive look at the 'gaming consoles.' Instead of a game console can do this, it is adopted into an entertain center. It's actually normal to have one of these in your house.

Top Bottom