• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is Building the Gaming Platform for the Next 20 Years

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
WNFG_Recap_HERO-0372222a21473ac784e7.jpg

With Xbox’s 20th anniversary recently behind us, it’s also important to let you know what to expect from Team Xbox, including our devices and services, as we build a platform for the next 20 years of gaming. Today, we’d like to share what we’re doing next to continue making Xbox the best value in gaming for players to enjoy the best games, across genres and across console, PC, and cloud, including new Xbox Game Studios titles with Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch.

We are:

• Bringing the Xbox app to Samsung 2022 Smart TVs
  • Expanding Xbox Cloud Gaming to more countries
  • Bringing new gaming experiences to Microsoft Edge and Windows 11
  • Rolling out updates for Xbox Game Pass members
  • Introducing more options to express yourself with Xbox Design Lab

As Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer sees it, “We’re building a platform that can reach billions of players—whether it’s on console, whether it’s on PC, whether it’s through Xbox cloud streaming – where players on any device they want to play on should be able to find the content they want to play.”

Bringing the Xbox app to Samsung 2022 Smart TVs​

• That means hundreds of games in our Game Pass Ultimate library, and Fortnite without a subscription.
  • Playing Xbox games on Samsung’s 2022 Smart TVs will be a seamless experience – it will be similar to using any other streaming app on your TV.
  • It’s simple, starting on June 30, access the Xbox app from the Samsung Gaming Hub or Media Hub and log into your existing Microsoft account, connect your favorite Bluetooth controller.
  • If you’re a Game Pass Ultimate member, you’ll have access to play loads of great cloud-enabled games, or you can jump into Fortnite without a subscription.

Samsung_Hero-aec5d61679d2722660c5.jpg

Continuing to expand Xbox Cloud Gaming​

• Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members in Argentina and New Zealand can play hundreds of games from the cloud on Apple and Android phones and tablets, Windows PCs, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One consoles, and soon on Smart TVs with our launch partner Samsung.
  • Like players in other countries, Argentina and New Zealand gamers can play Fortnite with Xbox Cloud Gaming for free and without any membership required.

Microsoft is Bringing New Gaming Experiences to Microsoft Edge and Windows 11​

• Optimizations for windowed games are currently being tested in the Windows Insider program. These are designed to significantly improve latency and unlock other exciting gaming features, including Auto HDR and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR).
  • A new HDR calibration app will enable players to improve color accuracy and consistency of their HDR displays.
  • The Game Pass Widget will allow players to browse and discover games from Game Pass and jump back into their recently played titles.
  • Controller bar features a list of most recent games, and shortcuts to popular game launchers, including the Xbox app. Controller bar enables players to jump back into their games or even access Xbox Cloud Gaming without the need for a mouse and keyboard. This is also currently being tested in the Windows Insider program.

New_Gaming_Exp-0a3b1b9615de6b9ce934.jpg

We’re also excited to share how Microsoft Edge is evolving, including some Xbox Cloud Gaming integrations:

• A new personalized gaming home page featuring news, game guides, live streams, game highlights, tournaments, upcoming and newly released games, and the Xbox Cloud Gaming library, including easy access to recently played games and related content.
  • Built-in Clarity Boost makes gameplay from the cloud look sharper and clearer when playing in the Microsoft Edge browser on Windows.
  • The new Games menu in Microsoft Edge offers easy access to free, popular games like Microsoft Solitaire, Atari Asteroids, Microsoft Jewel, and Microsoft Edge’s exclusive Surf game, plus helps players discover new ones.
  • Efficiency mode helps improve gaming performance on Windows 10 and 11 to keep them running fast and smooth by automatically reducing browser resource usage when a PC game is launched.

More_Game_Pass_Membership-0f880cdda61bf113972b.jpg

Get More Out of Your Xbox Game Pass Membership​

• The program will begin rolling out within the next year, beginning with a focus on providing independent developers from around the world more opportunities to build excitement for their games.
  • Participating developers will be able to see how their demos perform, and be compensated, enabling them to bring their creativity to Xbox and reach new audiences with Game Pass.

More Options to Express Yourself with Xbox Design Lab

• This includes new pastel colors – Soft Pink, Soft Orange, Soft Green, and Soft Purple. As well as new Camo Top cases with matching side caps – Mineral Camo, Arctic Camo, Forest Camo, Sandglow Camo and Blaze Camo.
  • Xbox Design Lab is also launching in 11 new countries, including Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Norway, Slovakia, Switzerland, and we’ll add Taiwan later this summer.

XboxDesignLab_Update-1-bf66f28cb5272ac2302b.jpg

Last edited:
Expanding cloud game catalog to games outside gamepass is great. Samsung TV cloud integration is also pretty good considering they are one of the biggest TV manufacturers in terms of market share.

K' Dash

I feel like if they would bring streaming to LATAM it would be HUGE, and when I say LATAM I mean other countries besides Mexico and Brasil.

I guess we'll wait for now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With Xbox’s 20th anniversary recently behind us, it’s also important to let you know what to expect from Team Xbox, including our devices and services, as we build a platform for the next 20 years of gaming. Today, we’d like to share what we’re doing next to continue making Xbox the best value in gaming for players to enjoy the best games, across genres and across console, PC, and cloud, including new Xbox Game Studios titles with Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch.

We are:

• Bringing the Xbox app to Samsung 2022 Smart TVs
  • Expanding Xbox Cloud Gaming to more countries
  • Bringing new gaming experiences to Microsoft Edge and Windows 11
  • Rolling out updates for Xbox Game Pass members
  • Introducing more options to express yourself with Xbox Design Lab

As Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer sees it, “We’re building a platform that can reach billions of players—whether it’s on console, whether it’s on PC, whether it’s through Xbox cloud streaming – where players on any device they want to play on should be able to find the content they want to play.”
Xbox gaming for another 20 years, sweet. So much for naysayers way back claiming MS was quitting gaming.

And with all the options to play games, it's great to see them expand to different platforms including direct on new Samsung TVs.

Just imagine how dumb it would be if Netflix buried their movie service behind a plastic box. Pretty sure every movie fans loves the app on everything from PCs, consoles, TVs, smartphones, streaming boxes etc. Even some projectors have the app built into their OS. More apps the better.

What Netflix could had done is force people to buy a NF branded box where they can maximize profits making money on the box and all the money spent making apps on other platforms could be saved.

But they realized it's better for the greater pool of movie lovers to make it available everywhere to generate more sales.

Xbox gaming for another 20 years, sweet. So much for naysayers way back claiming MS was quitting gaming.

And with all the options to play games, it's great to see them expand to different platforms including direct on new Samsung TVs.

Just imagine how dumb it would be if Netflix buried their movie service behind a plastic box. Pretty sure every movie fans loves the app on everything from PCs, consoles, TVs, smartphones, streaming boxes etc. Even some projectors have the app built into their OS. More apps the better.

What Netflix could had done is force people to buy a NF branded box where they can maximize profits making money on the box and all the money spent making apps on other platforms could be saved.

But they realized it's better for the greater pool of movie lovers to make it available everywhere to generate more sales.
You mean this Netflix and this Microsoft?

Papacheeks

Banned

Well they aint doing good compared to others and if they were doing better they would shout it from the roof tops.

Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert what do you mean?

They are not beating Nintendo, and Sony has proven even with shortages they outpace them, and whenever there's stock PS5 is the more bought system world wide.

So again please how are they not last anymore? They are doing better than last gen for sure, but last gen was such a shit show for them doing better is kind of a given knowing the people in charge now of Division.

Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert You can LOL all you want, until you can bring me numbers of them having insane sub numbers on PC and Xbox, then they are dead last. Having a number of 25 Million subscribers means nothing without any data behind it.

Last edited:
Well they aint doing good compared to others and if they were doing better they would shout it from the roof tops.

Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert what do you mean?

They are not beating Nintendo, and Sony has proven even with shortages they outpace them, and whenever there's stock PS5 is the more bought system world wide.

So again please how are they not last anymore? They are doing better than last gen for sure, but last gen was such a shit show for them doing better is kind of a given knowing the people in charge now of Division.
They outsold Nintendo for 2 years in a row now. It is what it is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You mean this Netflix and this Microsoft?

No, I meant if NF tried to do a walled off ecosystem where you could only use NF on a NF branded box (like a Roku box but it's their own).

NF said fuck it and that app is everywhere. It'll probably get a point you could watch it on one of those snazzy Samsung LCD screen fridges. Sit on a stool and stare at your fridge screen and pop it open for food!

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm too lazy to post links. Xbox has more revenue than Nintendo, and the gap will only further increase in the coming years.

Are you talking this:

Because they beat their "Revenue" by a little over a billion?

How much did they take home?

And honestly profitability is still with Nintendo.

Switch is going to go out with a bang. Lets see end Fiscal 2022 how well MS does with literally releasing nothing. I doubt they will have same numbers as last fiscal.

GhostOfTsu

Banned

Bringing the Xbox app to Samsung 2022 Smart TVs​

• That means hundreds of games in our Game Pass Ultimate library, and Fortnite without a subscription.
  • Playing Xbox games on Samsung’s 2022 Smart TVs will be a seamless experience – it will be similar to using any other streaming app on your TV.
  • It’s simple, starting on June 30, access the Xbox app from the Samsung Gaming Hub or Media Hub and log into your existing Microsoft account, connect your favorite Bluetooth controller.
  • If you’re a Game Pass Ultimate member, you’ll have access to play loads of great cloud-enabled games, or you can jump into Fortnite without a subscription.
The future is here! Oh wait! I'm having déjà vu

Samsung TVs 2015

Last edited:
Are you talking this:

Switch is going to go out with a bang. Lets see end Fiscal 2022 how well MS does with literally releasing nothing. I doubt they will have same numbers as last fiscal.

Yes, revenue is how you measure who the market leader is.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yes, revenue is how you measure who the market leader is.

And thats literally during honey moon launch period 2021 Fiscal. Where they actually had content, and Switch had a down year in terms of giant releases. Zelda is on the way and that will sell banana's. I dont think your going to see the same results for Fiscal 2022. unless they money hat everything for fall. WHich seeing Hogwarts, COD, among other titles still having marketing deals with Sony isn't happening.

Sony has Last of Us remake and God of war. Sorry 2022 aint a good year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The future is here! Oh wait! I'm having déjà vu

Of course it failed. PS Now had rip off prices, bad game selection and by the looks of that UI it looks terrible.

If they improved the service and game selection to get gamers to sign up, they wouldnt had needed to discontinue the app on TVs after only a few years.

You should watch the videos before you post them. Start at the 9:45 mark. He tests Bioshock and then RE. Bad latency and unplayable. No wonder people avoided PS Now. And Sony tried charging people $45/quarter for this hitchy service.

Last edited:
And thats literally during honey moon launch period 2021 Fiscal. Where they actually had content, and Switch had a down year in terms of giant releases. Zelda is on the way and that will sell banana's. I dont think your going to see the same results for Fiscal 2022. unless they money hat everything for fall. WHich seeing Hogwarts, COD, among other titles still having marketing deals with Sony isn't happening.

Q1 2022 was another record quarter. I think they'll do just fine.

12Dannu123

It's a solid vision of their ecosystem, buying a game and being able to play it on PC, Console or mobile via the Cloud is a solid vision that will appeal to many in the casual audience. Compared to Sony where they have to milk everything from their consumers and don't have any compelling vision of their ecosystem.

So, according to your logic, if Xbox has a userbase of 500M mostly from Cloud gaming and they have a lot more profit and revenue, they aren't the market leader because Sony consoles outsold Xbox consoles? Sorry, but your twisted logic doesn't work.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
20 years of losing isn't long enough I agree.

There's a weird fascination with 'wins' and 'losses' on this forum. Who cares when they're focusing on giving people in their eco system (game pass) incredible value for money and content. They're hungry to increase user base for the service and it doesn't matter to them if it comes from console, PC, mobile and now even TV apps.

Stuart360

Gold Member
They outsold Nintendo for 2 years in a row now. It is what it is.
Plus they sold 26mil of the orig Xbox compared to 23mil Gamecube, although nothing to be that proud of when PS2 went on to sell 140mil, but still they werent last that gen.
Plus i find it a bit cringy to say they came last in the 360/PS3 gen when PS3 sold 87mil, while 360 sold 84mil, but Microsoft stopped giving numbers in early 2014. I find it hard to believe they wont of sold at least another 3 mil consoles over the next few years.

Not that any of this actually matters that much, as long as all of them are successful enough to keep in the game then that should be good enough for all of us. We are not major stockholders, most of us anyway.

just deliver great games. i dont care about microsofts or sonys grand plans to deliver gaming to billions of people and make it more accessible. dont these suits ever learn anything? focus on your core audience! why try to bring console gaming to people who dont and never will care about console gaming? if they did they would be here already!

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Are you talking this:

They have already reported 3 quarters and all of them show growth.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ms-xbox-earnings-call-for-q1-2022-calendar-year.1635650/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/microsoft-q2-2022-earnings-are-out.1628618/

Can't find the q3 gaf thread.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/investor/earnings/fy-2022-q3/press-release-webcast

How much do you expect them to lose in this last quarter to report less than last year?

spons

Gold Member
just deliver great games. i dont care about microsofts or sonys grand plans to deliver gaming to billions of people and make it more accessible. dont these suits ever learn anything? focus on your core audience!
What's a 'core' audience anyway. Aim for the sky and you'll reach great heights regardless of where you end up.

Plus they sold 26mil of the orig Xbox compared to 23mil Gamecube, although nothing to be that proud of when PS2 went on to sell 140mil, but still they werent last that gen.
Plus i find it a bit cringy to say they came last in the 360/PS3 gen when PS3 sold 87mil, while 360 sold 84mil, but Microsoft stopped giving numbers in early 2014. I find it hard to believe they wont of sold at least another 3 mil consoles over the next few years.

Not that any of this actually matters that much, as long as all of them are successful enough to keep in the game then that should be good enough for all of us. We are not major stockholders, most of us anyway.
I'm a stockholder, but strictly from the stockholder POV I don't care that much about Xbox :messenger_beaming:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
There's a weird fascination with 'wins' and 'losses' on this forum. Who cares when they're focusing on giving people in their eco system (game pass) incredible value for money and content. They're hungry to increase user base for the service and it doesn't matter to them if it comes from console, PC, mobile and now even TV apps.
More like desperate to increase their userbase. Spending 10 times as much as anyone else and still failing. They want to win and make money. They aren't in the business to give you a good value.

Papacheeks

Banned
So according to your logic, if Xbox has a userbase of 500M mostly from Cloud gaming and they have a lot more profit and revenue, they aren't the market leader because Sony consoles outsold Xbox consoles?

Show me a reality currently where that is the case?

Thats pie in the sky. Thats the goal, but not even netflix has gone beyond 200+ million and it's dropped a lot over the course of the past 12 months. You have to have content people want. And unless every single game they release hits 100% with critics and gamers your never going to achieve those goals. they might get over the span of 10 years maybe they get 100 Million gamepass subs. But even that is reaching.

This year seriously is a down year. If it was so great you would see more numbers coming from Xbox.

What's a 'core' audience anyway. Aim for the sky and you'll reach great heights regardless of where you end up.

180m - 200m console install base that is there every generation. not the non existant "2b gamers" we keep hearing about from these suits.

Top Bottom