• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is Building the Gaming Platform for the Next 20 Years

Leyasu

Banned
Thread derailed with style on the first page.

Don't you lot get bored of this?

monsters amp GIF

Kagey K

Banned
Businesss doesnt work like that . Activision doesnt suddenly become worthkless once its bought, its still a multi billion dollar asset, as oppose to money sitting in a bank.

EDIT. Beaten to it.
I always thought it was a joke about people being financially illiterate, but over the last couple days I've seen how clueless some ppl are.

It's depressing.

A lot of this is basic 2+2 stuff, but they don't even understand that.

How can they be expected to manage thier own finances?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I've always seen that reaching 2 billion gamers thing as a pipedream. I do wish Sony and MS could get something like 300-500 million console owners the traditional way. That would be incredible :(

Kagey K

Banned
I've always seen that reaching 2 billion gamers thing as a pipedream. I do wish Sony and MS could get something like 300-500 million console owners the traditional way. That would be incredible :(
Traditional consoles have yet to break 200M

Everyone says there's more gamers than ever, but they hit that ceiling every time

Only the distribution changes each gen.

Last edited:
Well they aint doing good compared to others and if they were doing better they would shout it from the roof tops.

@Bernd Lauert what do you mean?

They are not beating Nintendo, and Sony has proven even with shortages they outpace them, and whenever there's stock PS5 is the more bought system world wide.

So again please how are they not last anymore? They are doing better than last gen for sure, but last gen was such a shit show for them doing better is kind of a given knowing the people in charge now of Division.

@Bernd Lauert You can LOL all you want, until you can bring me numbers of them having insane sub numbers on PC and Xbox, then they are dead last. Having a number of 25 Million subscribers means nothing without any data behind it.
Haven't you ever heard of Google Stadia and Amazon Luna? Thats why Microsoft isn't in last place. 😂

Stuart360

Gold Member
I wish they would just focus on AAA gaming instead of trying to get my grandma to play Halo, she only wants to play her Candy Crush on her cell phone

Swipe Up Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek
I know some of you like to use it as a meme, but the games are going to come. Unles you think their 30+ studios are sat at their desks playing Candy Crush.
Fact is, anyway its twisted, the second half of this generation is going to be flooded with Xbox games.

Q1 2022 was another record quarter. I think they'll do just fine.
It must be boring being this deluded when it comes to console warring. How many times do you post made up fiction and try to pass it off as fact?

Out of the 3 console companies, they are last. They Have been last for a long time now and will be last for that next five years at least.
You seem to disagree and won't post a single fact to say otherwise.
It's not even trolling at this point..you should save your strength for when am xbox game has higher FPS than a ps5 game next oh green clown.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It must be boring being this deluded when it comes to console warring. How many times do you post made up fiction and try to pass it off as fact?

Out of the 3 console companies, they are last. They Have been last for a long time now and will be last for that next five years at least.
You seem to disagree and won't post a single fact to say otherwise.
It's not even trolling at this point..you should save your strength for when am xbox game has higher FPS than a ps5 game next oh green clown.
Last how? Console sales? Revenue?

For a last place company thier revenue seems pretty healthy.

They seem to be generating money at a much higher value when compared to console sales.

Comparatively it seems like your runaway success 1st place is doing a poor job of converting sales into revenue.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even before smartphones took off, which surely took some traditional console gamers away, some reason console sales barely budged. And make note, Switch is acting double duty as a console and handheld for all Nintendo gamers who enjoy their portables. If Switch was a console only system like a Wii U v2 it'd be a fraction of their sales. That gen messed up too because Nintendo released two systems.

I'm going to ballpark some numbers:

PS1 (100) + N64 (33) + Saturn (10) = 143
PS2 (150) + GC (22) + Xbox (24) + DC (10) = 206
PS3 (85) + Wii (102) + 360 (85) = 272
PS4 (120) + Switch (110) + Wii U (13) + Xbox (50) = 293

It might look impressive growing, but that's going all the way back to the 90s. And with gaming revenue off the charts, you'd think video game hardware sales would skyrocket too. They haven't. Big sales boosts in the industry seem to come from the mobile segment which kicked into high gear the past 10 years, and traditional gamers simply buying more shit (backlog games + mtx + sub plans revenue etc...).

Either smartphones ate into console sales, or the world as a whole already hit a saturation point of console sales where growth wont budge a lot from new users, but from existing gamers' bigger wallets.

Hobbygaming

I know some of you like to use it as a meme, but the games are going to come. Unles you think their 30+ studios are sat at their desks playing Candy Crush.
Fact is, anyway its twisted, the second half of this generation is going to be flooded with Xbox games.
That's not what I'm saying I know games are coming I just wish they weren't so focused on cloud stuff, that future is a long time from now imo. People have to want it

Kagey K

Banned
That's not what I'm saying I know games are coming I just wish they weren't so focused on cloud stuff, that future is a long time from now imo. People have to want it
So being ready for the future now is a bad thing? Even though it's all entirely optional at this time?

Hobbygaming

So being ready for the future now is a bad thing? Even though it's all entirely optional at this time?
The cloud in itself is a bad thing imo. Stream everything and own nothing, no offline gaming, publishers get more control, why should we just accept it

Cloud is the Future.... And MS know this... So this time there is a Chance to get the Market leader... I personally think in 10 Years MS is the Biggest Gaming Company outside🤷‍♂️ they have a Plan and (the Money) to realize this.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The cloud in itself is a bad thing imo. Stream everything and own nothing, no offline gaming, publishers get more control, why should we just accept it
You don't have to. It's not the only way to play now, and if it ever does become the only way, you can just up and leave.

Making up problems in your mind today, does nothing for anyone though.

Kagey K

Banned
Cloud is the Future.... And MS know this... So this time there is a Chance to get the Market leader... I personally think in 10 Years MS is the Biggest Gaming Company outside🤷‍♂️ they have a Plan and (the Money) to realize this.
Even in 10 years they are still going to offer hardware for those that want to own it.

Cloud might be popular for some, not for others. They will continue to honor both.

I will say if I wanted a PS5 or a Series X and couldn't get one, if a game I really wanted to play came out, I would investigate the Cloud option until I could get the console I wanted.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Depends on the gamer and how much they really care about owning games whether it's a stream or a digital copy they can always yank from you or disable it from their servers. Or they shut down online modes.

Some care, some dont.

Given how many people have music and movie sub plans, it seems most people in the world dont care about owning media content now. After they are done with it, they dont care if it gets pulled from service. I dont know anyone still hoarding music or movie discs for safekeeping a physical copy.

Even in 10 years they are still going to offer hardware for those that want to own it.

Cloud might be popular for some, not for others. They will continue to honor both.
MS says this last year... This is not the last Hardware... But with Cloud Gaming on TV they reach so many people. In 2 years the App is almost on every TV like Samsung, LG, Philips and I think not on Sonys TVs🙈

Hobbygaming

Depends on the gamer and how much they really care about owning games whether it's a stream or a digital copy they can always yank from you or disable it from their servers. Or they shut down online modes.

Some care, some dont.

Given how many people have music and movie sub plans, it seems most people in the world dont care about owning media content now. After they are done with it, they dont care if it gets pulled from service. I dont know anyone still hoarding music or movie discs for safekeeping a physical copy.
Me lol I still own my movies and games at least

pasterpl

it is horrible that I can play my console games on my mobile or on tablet when traveling (played hours of psychonauts 2 on my surface pro X recently when travelling and experience was almost flawless), or that I don’t have to move my console between rooms if I own multiple Samsung tvs (probably soon we will see streaming stick and android tv app). I hate that my saves sync between games cross platform (native version of game on windows and native version of game on xbox). That horrible streaming and cloud.

Kagey K

Banned

Some care, some dont.

That's the whole thing.

What good is your disc when they shut down Avengers? Or The Division, or GT7?

It's literally more useless than a digital copy, because it either takes up space or you have to get rid of it.

Kagey K

Banned
MS says this last year... This is not the last Hardware... But with Cloud Gaming on TV they reach so many people. In 2 years the App is almost on every TV like Samsung, LG, Philips and I think not on Sonys TVs🙈
Like I said in another thread, if I really wanted an X but couldn't get one, I would explore the cloud options until I could find one, if a game I really wanted to play came out.

Papacheeks

Banned
Last how? Console sales? Revenue?

For a last place company thier revenue seems pretty healthy.

They seem to be generating money at a much higher value when compared to console sales.

Comparatively it seems like your runaway success 1st place is doing a poor job of converting sales into revenue.
Revenue means nothing if your literally spend 3-4 years worth of fiscal revenue in the span of a year.

Papacheeks

Banned
Means nothing, why?

Also technically MS bought ABK and their revenue is alot larger.
Once the deal goes through….. next year. Take Activision/Blizzard out of it look at after they bought Bethesda.

You can spin this how ever you like. The fact is servers for azure. Xbox blade servers for xcloud, data centers, exclusive game pass deals costs a fuckton on top of paying every studio budget.

They currently spend more than they make. If Going by Sonys fiscal which has them at 24 billion and only a couple billion comes back as banked profit, how well do you think that equates to Xbox’s?

And Sony still is WW market leader.

Jimmy_liv

I always thought it was a joke about people being financially illiterate, but over the last couple days I've seen how clueless some ppl are.

It's depressing.

A lot of this is basic 2+2 stuff, but they don't even understand that.

How can they be expected to manage thier own finances?
They do understand it but they chose to ignore it as the reality doesn't suit their narrative of 'my plastic box is better than yours.'

reksveks

Once the deal goes through….. next year. Take Activision/Blizzard out of it look at after they bought Bethesda.
You can spin this how ever you like. The fact is servers for azure. Xbox blade servers for xcloud, data centers, exclusive game pass deals costs a fuckton on top of paying every studio budget.
They currently spend more than they make. If Going by Sonys fiscal which has them at 24 billion and only a couple billion comes back as banked profit, how well do you think that equates to Xbox’s?

MS fortunately is able to do shit that favours themselves regarding the running cost of servers aka re-use but I am not talking about the profitability of Xbox (because we don't know what it is and any guesses will just be guesses).

I was wondering what you are saying 'revenue means nothing' relative to? profitability? profit margins? market share?

And Sony still is WW market leader.
I didn't argue any differently

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Sure if you look at it dollar for dollar with game sales maybe.

When you start looking at the assets (desks workstations, cubicles) and start depreciating them against profitable earnings, you will find they can make that money back much faster in tax savings.

Better to spend the money yourself than hand it over to someone else.
It’s 67 billion dollars. I don’t know what desks you have where you work but mine are about £50….

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm sure my mom and aunts can't wait to play gears of war once they can stream it directly from the TV or their phones.

No but I'm sure they'll love playing something like 1 vs 100 though.

Imagine a social game like that without a hardware barrier of entry, just the native TV app.

Games are for everyone, not every game will be for everyone There's a difference in those two scenarios.

GrayDock

I just think that this '1 billion' paying gamepass/xloud gamers is really a pipe dream, even in 20 years.
Most of those 1B just play free cellphone gaas, like fortnite, and rarely pay for anything. There are exceptions, some huge 'whales' even, but those are just that, exceptions. These hyper casual cellphone gamers aren't following brands. If Candy Crush 2 goes behind a Xcloud paywall, people will play Donut Crush or whatever for free in a heartbeat. Gears of War/Halo in cellphone for free with mtx? Sing me (and maybe 900M players) up. Behind a paywall? Forget it.
What I think it will happen is that 50%+ Xbox players will pay for gamepass (until it start to rise it's price) and use it's options like Xcloud and what not and that's it, just like some PSN+ players will pay for PSN++ and that's it.

reksveks

I just think that this '1 billion' paying gamepass/xloud gamers is really a pipe dream, even in 20 years.
Most of those 1B just play free cellphone gaas, like fortnite, and rarely pay for anything. There are exceptions, some huge 'whales' even, but those are just that, exceptions. These hyper casual cellphone gamers aren't following brands. If Candy Crush 2 goes behind a Xcloud paywall, people will play Donut Crush or whatever for free in a heartbeat. Gears of War/Halo in cellphone for free with mtx? Sing me (and maybe 900M players) up. Behind a paywall? Forget it.
What I think it will happen is that 50%+ Xbox players will pay for gamepass (until it start to rise it's price) and use it's options like Xcloud and what not and that's it, just like some PSN+ players will pay for PSN++ and that's it.
Don't think Xbox is expecting 1bn gamepass subscribers, they just want the MAU's for the xbox/MS store. Gamepass is a way to get them into the store.

If the open app market act passes, you will probably see a MS store where you are buying your candy crush mtx. MS makes it money from there and if they have a big enough storefront, you will get other mobile devs in that store.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I thought it a while ago and ill just reaffirm my thoughts here, I give it x2 years and Game Pass Ultimate will be on PS5

Markio128

I thought it a while ago and ill just reaffirm my thoughts here, I give it x2 years and Game Pass Ultimate will be on PS5
I respectfully (though wholeheartedly) disagree. I guess you are talking about the cloud based service, which will be on the TV anyway.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It really is. Just like everyone else, COVID has impacted the game industry hard and they have to adjust and find more effective ways to produce like everyone else. And I believe each studio has at least more than two projects in the works as we speak. That's a shit ton of games.

Top Bottom