• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Is Reportedly 'Heavily Involved' With Big Third Party Studios For Future Exclusives

Reindeer

if they are relegated to a single platform that is not even covering on third of the entire market , absolutely yes they are horribly bad. Whether it's Ms or Sony or Nintendo it doesn't matter.
Ms, as you can see in the image below has changed its paradigm and, releasing simultaneously on PC, console and mobile with xcloud, can reach +/-80% of the market. The three consoles together Sony Ninty and Ms cover only 28% of the video game market and this 28% must be divided with respect to the marketshare of each console. You will understand the difference between releasing one exclusive on a console (Playstation) that reaches 15% of the market and one platform (PC + Xbox + xcloud) where 80% of the market has the opportunity to play the "exclusive" game. The first case is bad for almost the whole market, the second for a very small part of the market.

Newzoo_Games_Market_Revenues_2020.png
I get what you're saying, although I would disagree about mobile market as mobile gamers prefer different experiences to console gaming and it's highly doubtful they will be playing traditional console games.

This is all besides point, my post isn't about which exclusives are good or bad for gamers in general, it was about Phil Spencer constantly lying and flip flopping. The man has lost all credibility at this point. I don't get all these Xbox fans acting like he can do no wrong, the man is the biggest liar and flip flopper in videogame industry. It does feel like he has some competition in Jim Ryan though.

Last edited by a moderator:

reksveks

I can name you plenty of companies that are clear with their messaging and are not known to be frequent liars. Nobody says companies don't lie, I'm not that naive, but lying and flip flopping all the time like Xbox (Phil) do isn't that common with everyone like you wanna make it out to be.
Trying to figure out if there is anyway to proof that especially in the case of factual (not subjective) statements he has made.

MonarchJT

Banned
I get what you're saying, although I would disagree about mobile market as mobile gamers prefer different experiences to console gaming and it's highly doubtful they will be playing traditional console games.

This is all besides point, my post isn't about which exclusives are good or bad for gamers in general, it was about Phil Spencer constantly lying and flip flopping. The man has lost all credibility at this point. I don't get all these Xbox fanboys acting like he can do no wrong, the man is the biggest liar and flip flopper in videogame industry. It does feel like he has some competition in Jim Ryan though.
Ms is a business and Spencer is payed by ms to do a job that brings money to Ms. If Ms could make money by slapping us tomorrow, Phil would try to convince us to get in line to receive the slaps.. Same thing goes for Jim Ryan and all the others.

And btw i still think that Spencer is by large the best head executive between the big 3, This doesn't mean I blindly believe him

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Wow this thread is full of salt.

Didn't see this in the Death Loop, Ghostwire, or Kena threads lol. Its the end of the world when Microsoft does the same shit as Sony apparently.

Because you guys are hypocrits, since you guys where the onces that said "exclusives are not important, everyone plays third party games. It's the majority of the games that people play". "They don't need exclusives, MS can do without them since people play third party games".

But when Phil was doing his buying spree, your minds turned damn quickly. You are all mined controlled by him...it's almost a scary cult. Xbox fans their obsession with Phil and buying up companies does go a little too far in general, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Concern

Because you guys are hypocrits, since you guys where the onces that said "exclusives are not important, everyone plays third party games. It's the majority of the games that people play". "They don't need exclusives, MS can do without them since people play third party games".

But when Phil was doing his buying spree, your minds turned damn quickly. You are all mined controlled by him...it's almost a scary cult. Xbox fans their obsession with Phil and buying up companies does go a little too far in general, in my opinion.

Please pull a quote where i said "exclusives are not important" lol. This tantrum is embarrassing even by fanboy standards.

Obsession with Phil? Wtf are you even on about? Where was this outrage for the Sony moneyhats?

Why would I want to waste money on second console and pay second set of services ?
Only you can answer that.

I intend on getting a PS5 down the road when they price drop and/or launch their revision, simply for their 1st party exclusives. Xbox Series X for Game Pass + multiplats, PS5 for Sony 1st party games. Seems MOST ideal to me.

Calls dude a fanboy, then proceeds to be a fanboy. You're literally bragging for one company against another based on how many products they sell you, it's hella cringe. Terrible post. 2021 and we STILL console warring.

jonah hill no GIF
Nah I just get tired of seeing delusional fanboys acting wild so all I did was lay out some facts and truth.

jakinov

Mate you're the one out of context _ first i was replying to manabyte, so maybe that's the reason you did not understand my remark;
second, and also regarding your wall of excuses text, read the tweeter chain _ he is objectively responding to people calling him out on tomb raider, dead rising 4, exclusive dlc, etc.
I know who you were replying to which is why I directly used an excerpt you referenced in the reply that Manabyte replied to.

How is it a wall of excuses? It's an explanation of how things work.

Those people are dumb. He didn't have ultimate power over the division when those deals happens. Notice how all the stuff you mention was were done or likely done before Phil Spencer got the reigns? Exclusive DLC was mostly a 360 era thing, Dead Rings 4 was under Mattrick and Spencer became the head 2 months before Tomb Raider was announced to be a timed exclusive. Either way just because his predecessors have done it in the past does not mean that he can't be against doing it. Also, the out of context part was that he was actually talking about DLC and even if it applied to games, it's nothing about never contracting a independently owned studio and funding their game.

Gatox

Banned
hopefully it not gonna be another Scalebound situation. such a shame we didnt get that game. since then, everything seems fall apart.
A situation like almost no one had a good thing to say about that game, pretty much everyone thought it looked generic and boring with an annoying main character while it was under development. Then when it got cancelled it suddenly looked like it was destined to be one of the best games ever and how everyone was really looking forward to it? That kind of situation?

Reallink

I wasn't referring to smartphones, but to consoles. Also, I'm not interested in which devices can stream the games. If it were up to that and what you say or believe in would be true, the market shares would be completely different and Sony, Nintendo or MS wouldn't be in the lead. And by the way: PS Now has been available on the PC for two years. Making it available for smartphones is not a question of "how", but "why".

But I'm sure all the 8 to 14 year old girls are already waiting to finally be able to play the Ultimate version of Gears of War 5 or to finally be able to secretly play Doom Eternal on their smartphones while eating at grandma's house.

So please, let's be realistic and consider the actual state of video games on consoles and not utopian fantasies that hardly anyone is interested in on the current market.

As already written, I'm absolutely not a fan of exclusive titles, no matter if you're talking about Sony or MS. But there are also approaches that are simply more innovative and based on creating value on their own and not simply taking something away from players of other systems. Just look at Nintendo.

There are always two ways to win customers in this business.

1. With own games and own innovation -> You create something new.
or
2. Buy exclusivity and take something away from others -> You do not create something new. You just decrease the current availability.

I think it's not hard to figure out what's better for players.

Personally, I don't give a shit. If I want to play a game that is included in the GP, then I just do it. But when you look at the bigger picture, what MS is doing isn't really good for the video game industry as a whole.It seems a bit like the rich bullied kid who could never keep up and is now throwing money around. Not very sympathetic, but everyone is happy when they get a present from this kid.

Nintendo just got done paying 6 million for MH Rise exclusivity.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

A situation like almost no one had a good thing to say about that game, pretty much everyone thought it looked generic and boring with an annoying main character while it was under development. Then when it got cancelled it suddenly looked like it was destined to be one of the best games ever and how everyone was really looking forward to it? That kind of situation?
the game quality is another matter, but the fact people hope for the game and it didnt going well and end up cancelled. hope no similliar situation again.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Ok, then what about the "falling apart" statement? What's falling apart exactly?
that time people hoping for MS exclusives and they promise for it. since begininng of the generation MS been promise for exclusives game and for the moment Scalebound seems to be their best bet for it. the 'success' of the ip might allow for more xbox exclusives coming. but then after the game cancelled, there seems to be no more another exclusives effort from MS. its like they not bother to try anymore. if i remember correctly since then they barely talk about promise of exclusives. people end up dissapointed. since then things not going well for xbox. Sony with more exclusives keep extending their sales gap while MS kind of 'stuck' there, only full of 3rd party game that also available on ps4.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I swear I read this exact same thread title a few months ago but it was about Sony money hatting for exclusives. I guess that ended up being Final Fantasy XVI and the pre-MS buyout Bethesda stuff?
My only hope is that Street Fighter doesnt go console exclusive again for a generation.

Batiman

Banned
I swear I read this exact same thread title a few months ago but it was about Sony money hatting for exclusives. I guess that ended up being Final Fantasy XVI and the pre-MS buyout Bethesda stuff?
My only hope is that Street Fighter doesnt go console exclusive again for a generation.
very different tone in that thread from certain ppl. I’m having a laugh reading through it

Megatron

Third party exclusives ARE bad, but if their competition is running around buying them MS kind of HAS to join in, don’t they?

sainraja

I never understood this.

We've all heard MS fanboys or marketing say "Next year's our year", but we always coupled that with our knowledge of the market and Microsofts investment. Or at least we should have.

Microsoft operated most of last generation with 7 game studios. They also were always primed to lag behind Sony in terms of marketshare.

Now they're operating with 23 studios and they're telling third parties "Sign a deal with us and you can release on PC+console day and date". That's waaaaaay more attractive to third parties than supporting a console that had half the user base of PS4.

No one ever took MS seriously when they were hyping the future of XBox. Now you can't help but take them seriously.
Those are good points. I guess what remains to be seen is how fast they can move now that they have acquired all these studios. All the games released from to date are available on almost every platform. I know they are trying to heavily push and expand Game Pass so until their studios are ready, they want to go after third parties. I am hopeful that Sony is able to compete and deliver us the good content they have been because I can't imagine how our gaming would be with just Microsoft alone.

sainraja

Third party exclusives ARE bad, but if their competition is running around buying them MS kind of HAS to join in, don’t they?
Buying or paying for exclusivity is something both companies have done. Microsoft was notorious for it during the X360 era. I guess looking back, it is a bit surprising that they (mostly - I know Rise of Tomb Raider) stayed away from it during the XONE generation.

Last edited:

Megatron

Buying or paying for exclusivity is something both companies have done. Microsoft was notorious for it during the X360 era. I guess looking back, it is a bit surprising that they (mostly - I know Rise of Tomb Raider) stayed away from it during the XONE generation.
Right, but reportedly Sony has been VERY aggressive in trying to get exclusives recently. We know about some and there are probably more. MS may have felt like they had to do the same to keep up.

Yet to see anything from this powerhouse though. That’s the issue.
Ive got no problem buying a series X once the exclusives start dropping.
LOL. We're less than 5 months into a new generation. You could swear the likes of Gears, Drakes, Killzone 2, God Of War were day 1

Zoro7

Banned
LOL. We're less than 5 months into a new generation. You could swear the likes of Gears, Drakes, Killzone 2, God Of War were day 1
I didn’t ask for the likes of any of those.
By June PS5 will have had quite a few exclusives. I’ve only seen the medium for series X.
LOL LOL LOL idiot.

Chessmate

Banned

In my experience, everybody who says this DOES have a problem with buying an Xbox. 😐 These are the same people who play the "better version" of Microsofts IPs on their high-end PC and hope Sony won't release any of their games on PC.

🤥

Last edited:

pasterpl

Wait, didn't Uncle Phil say third party exclusives are bad for the industry? The guy is the biggest flip flopper in gaming industry.
So what? He might believe it but then you see Jim Ryan running around buying exclusivity for godfather, project athia, Kena, deathloop, ghost wire, even wanted to get starfield , locking lots of gamers out of these games, you have to react to what your competitors are doing

MonarchJT

Banned

everything will be fine. now tell us how you really feel

kuncol02

Banned
Paying third party developers to not release games on competing console (FF7R) is bad. Paying third party developer to make game for you (Halo Wars, MS Flight Simulator, Bayonetta 2) is good.

MonarchJT

Banned
Yet to see anything from this powerhouse though. That’s the issue.
Everyone knows that exclusives will come like a raging river. In fact, the only ones concerned are those who, like you, don't even have an Xbox. Certainly not Xbox or gamepass users

nemiroff

Gold Member
There is also chance that MS initially just tried to play catch up with Sony but recognized during it's efforts that it not only had the chance to catch up but actually to become the new no1. Of course there are real risks in this plan and I personally do think, that this was an opportunity for MS that came by chance and therefore wasn't planned out completely.

For me these are their biggest risks:
  • Getting the new Messaging across all new Studio's
  • Inefficiencies during the transition phase, for at least the first one or two years
  • Exaggerated expectations from XBox fans
  • Rejection/Reluctance from a big part of the gaming community
  • Perceived market dominance without having the power of being the market leader (at least yet) stirs up the competitors an may force them into alliances the would otherwise never have considered.
I do expect high likelihood of some enhanced cooperation's from EPIC / SONY and to a lesser degree maybe Steam.
Nintendo on the other hand may as well partner with Microsoft, but we will see..

Watch the video session and you'll understand that it wasn't quite at random. Several heads and leads between the companies, including Spencer and Todd already had a speed dial relationship.

I don't mind MS or Sony giving money to help with the development of a game, in return for an exclusive/timed exclusive.

I didn't mind the insomniac purchase. The developer had a track record of partnering with Sony.

I don't mind the purchase of bathesda. The company has a track record of partnering with MS. I don't mind company purchases at all.

What I don't like is MS or Sony paying a developer to keep it off the other platform, the latest being Sony giving money to SE to keep Final fantasy also being on Xbox. MS did it back with one of the tomb raider games and I didn't like it then too.

Reindeer

So what? He might believe it but then you see Jim Ryan running around buying exclusivity for godfather, project athia, Kena, deathloop, ghost wire, even wanted to get starfield , locking lots of gamers out of these games, you have to react to what your competitors are doing
Only problem here is that Phil said that when Sony were buying third party exclusives before, so that argument doesn't really hold place.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Paying third party developers to not release games on competing console (FF7R) is bad. Paying third party developer to make game for you (Halo Wars, MS Flight Simulator, Bayonetta 2) is good.
Yes timed exclusives are a complete waste of money and just a dick move. That money should go towards funding new games and studios. I am happy Microsoft has brought studios instead of wasting money on expensive timed exclusives.

Shmunter

Yes timed exclusives are a complete waste of money and just a dick move. That money should go towards funding new games and studios. I am happy Microsoft has brought studios instead of wasting money on expensive timed exclusives.
I disagree in some cases. Timed exclusivity can be a way of injecting money into the endeavour while not ring fencing the game from other platforms forever. All gamers benefit, just at different times.

I would suggest games like Deathloop got a next gen focus thanks to Sony subsidising its development and offsetting sale losses on last gen and Xbox. Most 3rd party would not cut off millions of sales by going next gen only unless compensated for it.

There are benefits. But of course a basic money bag to keep it from others is dickering.

Last edited:

reksveks

I disagree in some cases. Timed exclusivity can be a way of injecting money into the endeavour while not ring fencing the game from other platforms forever. All gamers benefit, just at different times.

I would suggest games like Deathloop got a next gen focus thanks to Sony subsidising its development and offsetting sale losses on last gen and Xbox. Most 3rd party would not cut off millions of sales by going next gen only unless compensated for it.

There are benefits. But of course a basic money bag to keep it from others is dickering.
As I said a couple of pages ago, unless you know the internal financial situation of the devs/publishers and what the money leads to then you cant really determine the value of that exclusivity to end consumers.

Last edited:

Shmunter

As I said a couple of pages ago, unless you know the internal financial situation of the devs/publishers and what the money leads then you cant really determine the value of that exclusivity to end consumers.
It’s not a zero sum game. Logical conclusions can be drawn based on obvious outcomes.

Top Bottom