• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is still planning to drop Live Gold, it’s claimed

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The real reason "paying for multiplayer" could go away is the prevalence of separate F2P mods.

There’s no other reason at this point, IMO.
Ordinarily, I’d just toss up my hands and say that XBOX online gaming isn’t going to be free regardless of whether that’s Gold and/or Gamepass and that’s the end of it… but… then I pause when I realize MS is making Halo Infinite MP accessible online to everyone regardless of whether they have don’t pay for any of their online subs.

That makes me stop and wonder.

Shmunter

If online goes free on Xbox, barrier of getting it as a second system would be reduced significantly for me. But having it sitting there sucking up a sub just ain’t happening.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
imo microsoft should make one sub that ties in all their services. basically, gamepass ultimate should be the only subscription.

sony should do the same. playstation plus should include online gaming, the instant collection as well as ps now. put it all under the banner of plus.

If I had to guess, that is Microsoft's long term goal. Maybe the would-be price-hike for XBL at the beginning of the year was to test the water for people's acceptance of ten bucks a month.

And maybe Jeff Grub hears that Gold is going away and assumes that mean "free" when in actually it means it is getting transformed into Gamepass.

Jeff Grub: "Good guy Xbox is going to make XBL free for us all!!!!!"

MS: *doubles price of XBL*

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

Jeff Grub is the new Michael Pachter...

Thirty7ven

Banned
If online goes free on Xbox, barrier of getting it as a second system would be reduced significantly for me. But having it sitting there sucking up a sub just ain’t happening.

The play is to wait until end of 23’ at the earliest isn’t it? End of 24’ would be optimal. In 6 months you will be able to play every single Xbox exclusive for the price of one game. Then I’m either compelled to keep paying for the game coming in the 7th month or I’m not. Sure as hell won’t be financing the future of the service right now, that’s for sure, it has been 9 months and not a single next gen game on the service that would’ve made it worth it for me and I’m not in the business of funding trillion dollar company ventures.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox live carried the brand on its back since Halo 2 now since game pass is around its suddenly not great anymore.

Dr Bass

Wouldn't be surprised to see "Game Pass Ultimate" become basically the all in one, only thing you can buy, option. 20 bucks a month. Or a reduced fee if you pay annually. It is a bit silly to have basically three choices. Gold. Game Pass. or GPU.

But people thinking they are just going to make Gold "free" and eliminate one of their better sources of revenue as they are out there spending billions, don't seem too bright. Do these people literally just want everything for free from MS?

Banned
Feel like these guys only care because it's more ammo for their console warz.

are you talking about Klobrille? the Xbox fanboy guy? pretty sure he doesn't bring this up negative Xbox stuff for console wars lol

XBL Gold has to go, there's no argument here. you are playing on the same servers, using the same account, on the same service... but on PC you can play on it for free while you have to pay on Console.
Same Servers, Same Online Service, Same Features, SAME GAMES... with cross-play, often cross-progression AND cross-buy

XBL Gold makes zero sense with Microsoft's current ecosystem. and as more and more online focused games go free 2 play, and free 2 play being not affected by XBL Gold anymore either... like... how could anyone argue for it at this point? the monthly games get worse and worse as well

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
are you talking about Klobrille? the Xbox fanboy guy? pretty sure he doesn't bring this up negative Xbox stuff for console wars lol

XBL Gold has to go, there's no argument here. you are playing on the same servers, using the same account, on the same service... but on PC you can play on it for free while you have to pay on Console.
Same Servers, Same Online Service, Same Features, SAME GAMES... with cross-play, often cross-progression AND cross-buy

XBL Gold makes zero sense with Microsoft's current ecosystem. and as more and more online focused games go free 2 play, and free 2 play being not affected by XBL Gold anymore either... like... how could anyone argue for it at this point? the monthly games get worse and worse as well
No I mean toilet seat and the others are pushing for gold to go away as another “ball in Sony’s court” type move.

JLB

Banned
At this point I think MS is just waiting for a big event to ditch Gold.
Completely pointless service at this point.

Kagey K

Banned
I don't even know anyone on Gold at this point. Everyone has moved on to Gamepass and never looked back.

I always claim these games and never play them because there are better games on Gamepass. I dont know why but my mind thinks free shit I Gotta grab it.

Kagey K

Banned
I always claim these games and never play them because there are better games on Gamepass. I dont know why but my mind thinks free shit I Gotta grab it.
MYbe someday, when that game drought hits you'll go back to play them. (That game drought is never coming) there are just more and more great games hitting more often.

Soosa

Banned

It is opposite of pointless. (to customers / new customers)

Without this option, I would not have even bought series x when they started to be available on stores last december:
1) buy 36 months of gold (I got mine for about 91€ total)
2) activate gamepass trial for 1€
3) now have gamepass ultimate for 36 months, only 92-93€ total.

It would suck.

As service vs game pass, yes it is kind of pointless. But for customers to get cheap GPU == priceless.

I know I would never pay that ridiculous price of 16€/month for GPU, and I bet there are plenty of people like me. Maybe not statistically enough to make MS care, but still lost customers.

paying 93€ vs paying 576€ in 3 years is big difference for second system or multiple systems owner.

If they will remove gold, I guess this epic upgrade path will be also removed

Last edited:
Top Bottom