• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Italy Instagram leaks FPS Boost for Dark Souls 3

Bartski

Gold Member
I'd love to see some tests and if that's a "raw" fps boost or perhaps, some problems that can result from framerate boosting are also addressed.

DS3 does run in 60fps on PS5 unpatched but unfortunately, the pop-in got so much worse and makes the game look terrible in larger open areas. I don't think PS5 has some issues with last-gen streaming tech, it's just that 60 fps makes pop-in way more noticeable than it is at 30. Same with TLOU2 60fps patch.

This subject got very little traction earlier here and on Reddit but it's true. Launch Dark Souls 3 on PS5 go run around Road of Sacrifices swamp and see for yourself.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If they're forcing a fps unlock it'll drop the resolution further, like the other games that do this.
Sadly there is no granularity, it's either X1X version or X1S, they don't can't do much about resolution, because it's integer based scaling.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

RoboFu

One of the green rats
giphy.gif

Thief1987

This looked like ass on Xbox when it was released was like 900p ,it can easily do 120 fps
From's games capped at 60 even on PC, you can go higher with mods, but i doubt that some high level hacks can make the same without interfering with game's code.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
System wars trash post. Go crawl back into the hole you came from.
So insecure. Maybe you should follow the conversation next time. The person said Xbox is better when the fps boost is already available on PS5 since Day 1 lol

I kinda see his point though. At least MS isn’t putting next gen upgrades behind paywalls like Spider-Man remastered or GoT’s PS5 features (like rumble) exclusive to the DC
? This is just fps boost. MS is not giving a full DS3 remaster for free.

FPS boost on GOW, DS3, GOT, Days Gone etc are also free on PS5.

Nicely done team Green keep it up I will take all the FPS boosts they can manage
This is the ONE thing I was hoping next gen consoles would offer us. FPS boosts to all previous gen games at no cost.

To say Xbox is doing an amazing job in this department is a gross understatement. I've enjoyed FPS boosts in Fallout 4 on Series S.

Made the game so much smoother to play and then I threw some mods on it too. Was like I was gaming on a PC again. Crazy shit.

Thief1987

Fiiiiiinally. Only if bloodborne was on Xbox we could have it with FPS. boost. Lend you tech to Sony for this one game please.
Nope, Bloodborne is developed for 30 fps, it has physics and game logic tied to it. Lance McDonald made plenty of hacks to make it works as intended at 60 fps, just doubling framerate without interfering with game's code doesn't make it.

SkylineRKR

DS3 was about 45-50fps on Pro, and in some areas 60. It should be 60 on PS5 as any unlocked game does but never tried it.

TLZ

Banned
Because both Series consoles are more than twice as powerful as Xbox One.
That's not the answer I'm looking for dude.

https://majornelson.com/fpsboost/

List shows what is off by default.

There's only one version of the game, it'll stay 900p.
This still confuses me. So if a game has a One X version, it'll use that and look better. But if it only has a S version, it'll use that one obviously.

So when FPS boost is turned on, it has to lower the resolution from what that quote is saying, right? That's what happens when I play the Sniper game.

elliot5

That's not the answer I'm looking for dude.

This still confuses me. So if a game has a One X version, it'll use that and look better. But if it only has a S version, it'll use that one obviously.

So when FPS boost is turned on, it has to lower the resolution from what that quote is saying, right? That's what happens when I play the Sniper game.
If the game has an X in the "Off by default on Series X" that means it drops the graphics profile to the One S version from the One X version while boosting fps. Otherwise it will use the One X enhanced version and boost fps.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
This says Sniper plays at 1080p on Xbox One. But when I played on SX with fps boost it looked like it's 720. I'm really confused.

TLZ

Banned
If the game has an X in the "Off by default on Series X" that means it drops the graphics profile to the One S version from the One X version while boosting fps. Otherwise it will use the One X enhanced version and boost fps.
This is what I've understood as well. And Sniper doesn't have it off by default, but somehow it doesn't look good. It defo doesn't look like a 1080p game to me. Or is it just bad AA?

elliot5

This is what I've understood as well. And Sniper doesn't have it off by default, but somehow it doesn't look good. It defo doesn't look like a 1080p game to me. Or is it just bad AA?
Well it's less than 1920x1080 (1440x1080) so maybe it's just ugly lol

• Triggered

TLZ

Banned
Well it's less than 1920x1080 (1440x1080) so maybe it's just ugly lol
I've checked Eurogamer and no mention of 1440x1080. Just says native 1080p. BUT.... They did say this:

Xbox One features less impressive texture and shadow filtering, while object rendering takes a small hit too

Maybe coming from the Pro to this is what made it jarring to me.

Anyway. Now I understand. So I just have to see whether the fps boost setting is off or on by default to know if a game got a res drop or not.

Thanks.

elliot5

I've checked Eurogamer and no mention of 1440x1080. Just says native 1080p. BUT.... They did say this:

Maybe coming from the Pro to this is what made it jarring to me.

Anyway. Now I understand. So I just have to see whether the fps boost setting is off or on by default to know if a game got a res drop or not.

Thanks.
Oh woops I mixed it up with far cry 4 resolution

• LOL

Banned
I hope a new big batch will come soon. or they start having a steady stream up FPS boost updates.

and I wonder when we will finally see a 360 or og Xbox game get boosted

elliot5

Just one game this time?
Either they blew their load on getting DS3 to work or they just announced this because it leaked earlier in the day.

My guess is there will be more added soon, because they just link to the BC games list in that URL rather than a unique article or the Major Nelson list of FPS boosted titles that typically come in a drop like this.

Top Bottom