• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox launches "Black History Month" promotional campaign for the month of February.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacho

Gold Member
Hmmmm.....great question. I would say it is, but slightly. Because social media really really screws up my feels about race relations at this point. 20 years ago, I didn't know that many people's thought on race. Now?......I know too much lol.
I dunno man. Feels like we’re regressing. Lol

I agree with you about social media. Back in the 80s and 90s race wasn’t a big thing where I was. Sure you had a few dumbasses but that’s always been the case. For the most part people got along. I had friends of all backgrounds that I’d chill and play video games with. But that was in the real world.

I think race is something people tend to focus on mostly when they get on the internet. Same with all the gender stuff. And that warps everyone’s perspective.

Don’t your pilots apologise over the PA before landing? Lmao
No.
There is a political push at every single event to recognise what local aboriginal tribe lived on that land. It's kinda cringe
So the pilot may say something about traditional land owners or something. I've never heard it but corporations do weird shit to try an virtue signal.

We had an Australian cheese brand called "Coon". It was the last name of the person who started the company.
It was bought out by a Canadian company.
There was this aboriginal guy who was campaigning to get the name changed because it was racist. They eventually changed it to "Cheer" cheese to make it more inclusive.
The backlash has been massive and the term "go woke, go broke" is apt here.
Their sales have plummeted. They recently had to close one of their cheese factories because they demand fell off big time.
It's always on special and I can guarantee you they are thinking it was their worst buisness decision ever.

We've got our own challenges with indigenous / First Nations people, so we also have own race dynamic happening here (and over many decades).

The campaigns around the Voice to Parliament referendum, and the ongoing Aboriginal crisis up in the NT are current big issues at the moment.
Not to the same level as the situation in the US. Most likely because there is 15% of the population in the US being black while Aboriginals account for only about 3%.

No.
There is a political push at every single event to recognise what local aboriginal tribe lived on that land. It's kinda cringe
So the pilot may say something about traditional land owners or something. I've never heard it but corporations do weird shit to try an virtue signal.

We had an Australian cheese brand called "Coon". It was the last name of the person who started the company.
There was this aboriginal guy who was campaigning to get the name changed because it was racist. They eventually changed it to "Cheer" cheese to make it more inclusive.
Their sales have plummeted. They recently had to close one of their cheese factories because they demand fell off big time.
It's always on special and I can guarantee you they are thinking it was their worst buisness decision ever.
thats what I meant. That land acknowledgment thing. It’s so lame that Aussies went from the global alphas to these weird apologetic cringelords in like a decade.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I dunno man. Feels like we’re regressing. Lol

I agree with you about social media. Back in the 80s and 90s race wasn’t a big thing where I was. Sure you had a few dumbasses but that’s always been the case. For the most part people got along. I had friends of all backgrounds that I’d chill and play video games with. But that was in the real world.

I think race is something people tend to focus on mostly when they get on the internet. Same with all the gender stuff. And that warps everyone’s perspective.

Yep. And in the real world, people that get so upset about a simple "Black History Month promo campaign" don't voice their opinion to others about it in person. Not unless they are only saying it to like-minded individuals. The fact that this thread is showing me people being bothered by it makes me feel uneasy.

In the 90s, I wouldn't even know any of them felt this way. It was a simpler time back then lol. Ignorance is truly bliss.

mckmas8808

No.

LOL! This is wild to me. Does the word "Coon" mean the same thing in Australia, that it means here in America or something?

OZ9000

Banned
I'll celebrate black history month by reading the autobiography of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. These two books have been collecting dust in my office for a long, long time.

thats what I meant. That land acknowledgment thing. It’s so lame that Aussies went from the global alphas to these weird apologetic cringelords in like a decade.
Yeah, it's the politicians who push that shit.

Australians are very apathetic. We know our government sucks. We hate our government. There was a saying for a while that said "Love my country, hate my government "
I guess it's deep.rooted from our convict days.
So Australians accept that our government sucks, accept that they do what's in their interests and so they just ignore the government.
The overwhelming majority are anti PC woke.
If you read Australian news stories about something like this the comments section will be 99% laughing and making fun of them.

There are distinct ussue that surround our aboriginal population. Most Australians repect them, want the best for them, but also expect there has to be an effort both ways.
There was some crazy stat where if the goverments held back all the money they spent on Aboriginals, every two years they could make a one off payment of 1 million dollars to every single aboriginal.
It's a crazy amount of money and resources.

Unfortunately there are certain things at the world and UN level that keep getting thrown our way.like health outcomes for them. On paper it's looks really bad the difference between white and black health outcomes. But there are realities to it. The amount of substance abuse is off the charts. Alcohol, drugs, petrol sniffing, it's bad. So how.do you stop that? Do.you make a law that says no Aboriginals can drink alcohol? Do you single them out for draconian laws? No, that's racist. Their children are not looked after as well as white kids, that's a fact. There's alot of child abuse and domestic violence in their communities. Our country made the terrible mistake of taking aboriginal children away from their poor conditions and adopted them out to white parents to try and give them better outcomes. That was an obvious mistake and caused no end of hurt and division in the community. It is known as the stolen generation.

Another factor is that a number live in isolated remote communities. These might be 1000kms away from a major town with Doctors and hospitals. There might be 50 people in that local aboriginal community. So how do you provide health resources to them? You can build a hospital for 50 people, and the nature of their life is they could all move 50km to another area. What do you do? Build another one? So they fly doctors in every So often to do check ups. They have diabetes, but don't loom after their health. What do you do? Force them by law to do their insulin?

There is no easy solution. The overwhelming majority of white Australians want the best outcomes for them. They are the traditional inhabitants of this country.

And of course, there is always t small minority of white activists who are using their name to create problems.

LOL! This is wild to me. Does the word "Coon" mean the same thing in Australia, that it means here in America or something?
I think the word coon in the US is what blacks call other blacks who they think are sucking up to white people?
Here it used to call Aboriginals. No one has used the word for decades.
The common word for them is "Abos", which is just an abbreviation for Aboriginal. Australians love to abbreviate everything MacDonalds is Maccas for instance.
However the do gooders started to say that the word Abo is racist.
So there was a political move to refer to them as Indigenous instead of Aboriginals. I guess that wasn't good enough either so they are now starting to follow Canada and call them "First Nations". And it was bizarre. Out of nowhere, every single news outlet and government rolled out the term First Nations at the exact same time. No doubt this was planned and rolled out by the government. They would have sent out releases to the news outlets saying from this particular date they should refer to them as this.

NikuNashi

Excited Lets Go GIF

also not to mention the fact they took our own continent and segregated it, making it friendlier to whites than the natives (cough cough apartheid cough cough)

Personally i don't really care about this whole Xbox black history celebration thing but to dismiss the actual black history month as racist is just ridiculous & insensitive. The truth of the matter is that racism isn't this solved issue since the 1960s, its far more than just that. If it truly were finished for good it simply wouldn't be discussed outside of white supremacist circles, you can even see this in other countries that werent as racist to blacks as america was, its never even brought up in those areas because they never had those issues to begin with.

personally i'd like a latino history month as well because they seem to always be forgotten when it comes to discussions of racism in the west

A month to discuss the invasion and replacement of indigenous people of South America by Spanish and Portuguese invaders?. Would you have collective guilt as a descendant of said colonists?

Half joke but a bit serious, seems that the historical actions of non white colonists gain little attention these days.

You forgot the Micheal Jackson games, Moonwalker on the Mega Drive was pretty good.
The DefJam fighting games were good also, but they're sad to play when you consider the state of hiphop today.

The state of hip hop today was caused by the deterioration of hip hop back when those Def Jam games were relevant.

mckmas8808

I think the word coon in the US is what blacks call other blacks who they think are sucking up to white people?
Here it used to call Aboriginals. No one has used the word for decades.
The common word for them is "Abos", which is just an abbreviation for Aboriginal. Australians love to abbreviate everything MacDonalds is Maccas for instance.
However the do gooders started to say that the word Abo is racist.
So there was a political move to refer to them as Indigenous instead of Aboriginals. I guess that wasn't good enough either so they are now starting to follow Canada and call them "First Nations". And it was bizarre. Out of nowhere, every single news outlet and government rolled out the term First Nations at the exact same time. No doubt this was planned and rolled out by the government. They would have sent out releases to the news outlets saying from this particular date they should refer to them as this.

That's insane lol.

You talking about the southern rap scene?

More like everything after the ideology and control switch over in the mid 90s. Southern Rap was consequence of that, which the ringtone stuff was consequence from that, and the internet/Souljaboy stuff form that, leading to what we have now.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I used to hunt A LOT when I was younger and we always said 'Coon huntin" when going out at night hunting raccoons so its a word I still use to this day

In all honesty there is only one word I wont say and thats the N word

So many people (not saying you by any means) look for words or saying to get offended by and I am just one that puts a lot of thought into words like Coon for example.

If words like that offend someone thats a them problem imo

Nydius

In the 90s, I wouldn't even know any of them felt this way. It was a simpler time back then lol. Ignorance is truly bliss.
Back in the early 90's I was in high school and the only person I knew who took offense to Black History Month was my choir director, who was an older black lady from South Carolina who lived through Jim Crow and loved to tell the class about her involvement in the civil rights movement. She hated Black History Month and I made the mistake of asking why. She spent the entire class period ranting about how it was "stolen" from the NAACP's original Negro History Week and turned into a month long event by white people in order to feel better about themselves.

I never brought up any racial topic in her classroom again.

I used to hunt A LOT when I was younger and we always said 'Coon huntin" when going out at night hunting raccoons so its a word I still use to this day

In all honesty there is only one word I wont say and thats the N word

So many people (not saying you by any means) look for words or saying to get offended by and I am just one that puts a lot of thought into words like Coon for example.

If words like that offend someone thats a them problem imo
I think they went the wrong way with the n word.
It's become the word you can't say.
All that has done is made it sooo much more powerful.
I liked how black people took ownership of it and started calling each other it. That disarmed it. Made it less important.
Then they did the whole "it ends in a, not er" thing to try and say it was two different words.
It's like the word cunt. In Australia the word gets thrown around so much. We call our friends cunt. So when you hear it it isn't shocking.

So what is next, white pride month? :D

Just weird from non-US viewpoint. These are consoles for gaming, we are all faceless and have no color, unless you stream half naked to twitch etc.

Good game is a good game, no matter whom made it
I certainly wish it were like that here in the US too. Every damn thing is about race here.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
For those outside of the US wondering why there is this celebratory month for blacks here:

This nation subjugated them as chattel for nearly three hundred years, then freed them but still subjugated them in numerous other ways, finally gave them some of the same freedoms as everyone else. Things were fine for a time, but as identity politics became larger and larger, companies and dipshits who can't see past their own skin colour and victimhood wanted to further divide the nation.

Companies, looking for a quick buck joined in to pretend they actually care to trick retards into giving up their money while further dividing people and promoting racism.

Fixed that for you.

Is there a reason why these gestures by big companies during events like these always appear painfully convoluted and insincere? Obviously they want to keep their ESG score high but it just reeks of unearned, cheap moral virtue.
It's money and also location. Most tech companies are in the California region or thereabouts which is the most (American) left wing state in the country by far. People often makes jokes that California isn't America.

Personally I think it's fine but the problem is 1 of the many different cultures in the U.S is policing all other cultures since they control the flow of information (social media, search engines etc). I think left wing people wouldn't be happy if it was centrists or right wing people doing this(imagine if big tech was located in the deep south) or religious people or people with Latino values etc.

mckmas8808

Back in the early 90's I was in high school and the only person I knew who took offense to Black History Month was my choir director, who was an older black lady from South Carolina who lived through Jim Crow and loved to tell the class about her involvement in the civil rights movement. She hated Black History Month and I made the mistake of asking why. She spent the entire class period ranting about how it was "stolen" from the NAACP's original Negro History Week and turned into a month long event by white people in order to feel better about themselves.

I never brought up any racial topic in her classroom again.

LOL!!! She sounds like an old black Uncle at a BBQ. I can almost see her face explaining that to your class lol

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm hoping you understand that it isn't just one side that sees themselves as victims in your "fixed that for you" change. This thread alone demonstrates a side that totally sees themselves as the victims. And it ain't the people of color.

Your projection game is strong, mckmas. Given how much you like to play the victim and the race card, you need a dose of reality.

There are "two" sides to this. One side, yours, who can't even dream of thinking about a colourblind society and constantly has to remind everyone about ethnicity. Then there are the others that just want to treat everyone as *people*. See how fucked your view point is?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'd rather hear updates throughout the year of bringing minorities into gaming. This corporate month celebrations feel like company masterbating for a month. It would be better to have small updates every month or so with maybe a running video blog of a select few working in the business would be better to show diversity in game production. I've no issue with people celebraring things, it just feels hollow. It feels like you celebrate in one month and after we can ignore you for 11 months. This is not an anti MS thing, every company does it, it is more about companies behaviours in general.

mckmas8808

Your projection game is strong, mckmas. Given how much you like to play the victim and the race card, you need a dose of reality.

There are "two" sides to this. One side, yours, who can't even dream of thinking about a colourblind society and constantly has to remind everyone about ethnicity. Then there are the others that just want to treat everyone as *people*. See how fucked your view point is?

It's funny how speaking on reality equals "playing the victim and race card". Simply talking about race means, "playing the race card". Some of yall are sick. Ethnicity is reality. Trying to act as if it's not is stupid. Wake up. You can treat everyone equally and still respect and acknowledge our cultures. It's fine.
Stop being so emotionally weak.

Now how is that a fucked up viewpoint?

Last edited:

Oof85

I'm black. I'd rather this not be the spectacle that it is.

Black History is American History. I long for a time when there won't be a need to put any minority on a pedestal for a designated amount of time as a token gesture just to say "We know you're here".

I don't celebrate Black History Month because it shows people see a need to elevate black people when we should all be equal in the first damn place.

It's the same problem I have with Pride Month and any other "month". These groups are supposed to Strive for equality. What better way to do that than for us all to be considered "normal".

These special months don't bring us together, it separates us as a society...for one stupid month at a time.
Really?

Look up the word marginalized and then rethink this whole post.

And I'm not speaking about games because tbh, idc about toy media for kids/adults.

What you and Morgan Freeman clearly haven't comprehended is that it became a THING because there was a great deal of silence on AA contributions to the American experience.

If there wasn't intentional silence than there was no need for intentional noise in turn.

People not keyed in always have opinions and surprise 🙄 they're almost always embarrassing.

"Oh I don't see color" type circus employees.

Ancestors with the chagrined facepalm right now.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Really?

And I'm not speaking about games because tbh, idc about toy media for kids/adults.

What you and Morgan Freeman clearly haven't comprehended is that it became a THING because there was a great deal of silence on AA contributions to the American experience.

If there wasn't intentional silence than there was no need for intentional noise in turn.

People not keyed in always have opinions and surprise 🙄 they're almost always embarrassing.

I'm not going to turn this into a debate. I'll just say that recognition of AA accomplishments should not have to be relegated to a certain month. Is there a month to celebrate Edison's discoveries? How about George Washington? Yes I agree there was good deal of silence about it, and probably by design. I don't have a problem with the action as much as I do how it was commissioned.

If Black history is American history then it should be noteworthy year round, not just in February, the shortest month...by the way. Your problem is that you're happy being put on a pedestal for a limited amount of time rather than being ingrained in the norm of society as we all should be.

If what AA's really want is equality, then why do we push to be specialized at any given time? We should strive to be just regular joe shmoes like the rest of us.

Last edited:

Oof85

I'm not going to turn this into a debate. I'll just say that recognition of AA accomplishments should not have to be relegated to a certain month. Is there a month to celebrate Edison's discoveries? How about George Washington? Yes I agree there was good deal of silence about it, and probably by design. I don't have a problem with the action as much as I do how it was commissioned.

If Black history is American history then it should be noteworthy year round, not just in February, the shortest month...by the way. Your problem is that you're happy being put on a pedestal for a limited amount of time rather than being ingrained in the norm of society as we all should be.

If what AA's really want is equality, then why do we push to be specialized at any given time? We should strive to be just regular joe shmoes like the rest of us.
All you've written here is milquetoast pie in the sky nonsense.

The fact that it shouldn't need a special month is fundamental comprehension.

The fact that it should be mixed into the underlying fabric of American education is yet more baseline comprehension.

I'm not happy that we've got just a month of acknowledgement.

There's no pedestals here and it says alot that you think that's what BHM is.

The reality of the American educational experience is that there was intentional silence about African American contributions to the greatness that is America's story and so if the choice is continued intended silence vs a time set aside to acknowledge, I'll take the latter every time.

People in this very thread have admitted to a dearth of AA history in their very own educational pasts and you come with this.

And what's craziest is that now there's a bunch of different months that take time to acknowledge and reference different marginalized groups and their place in the American tapestry, and that happened because of what BHM did and forced America to confront.

A rising tide lifts all boats but crabs still happy to sleep on the floor.

Last edited:
The reality of the American educational experience is that there was intentional silence about African American contributions to the greatness that is America's story and so if the choice is continued intended silence vs a time set aside to acknowledge, I'll take the latter every time.

This isn’t true now and wasn’t true back when most of us went to school in the 80s and 90s

Oof85

All you've written here is milquetoast pie in the sky nonsense.

The fact that it shouldn't need a special month is fundamental comprehension.

The fact that it should be mixed into the underlying fabric of American education is yet more baseline comprehension.

I'm not happy that we've got just a month of acknowledgement.

There's no pedestals here and it says alot that you think that's what BHM is.

People in this very thread have admitted to a dearth of AA history in their very own educational pasts and you come with this.

And what's craziest is that now there's a bunch of different months that take time to acknowledge and reference certain marginalized groups and their place in the American tapestry, and that happened because of what BHM did and forced America to confront.

A rising tide lifts all boats but crabs still happy tosleep on the floor.
This isn’t true now and wasn’t true back when most of us went to school in the 80s and 90s
Ok. Not like people haven't come forward(not even talking about people in this thread) and admitted that their education was lacking in certain areas.

Especially in a country where the lack of nationally standardized textbooks and the very information teachers and educators are allowed to put in their curriculums can be decided by zealots of either wing is a global embarrassment.

Sure you know best, guy from Lost, I presume?

Holidays/Celebrations in America lost all real meaning and just a way for corporations to push products on to us. I bet most kids don't even know what Christmas is really all about.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's funny how speaking on reality equals "playing the victim and race card". Simply talking about race means, "playing the race card". Some of yall are sick. Ethnicity is reality. Trying to act as if it's not is stupid. Wake up. You can treat everyone equally and still respect and acknowledge our cultures. It's fine.
Stop being so emotionally weak.

Now how is that a fucked up viewpoint?
Really?

Requoting myself for posterity's sake:
I just find it hard to connect to or discuss with folks who make immutable characteristics their defining trait/personality. I have yet to see someone who does this that isn't a complete buffoon or miserable personality-lacking jackass.

No. Ancestors are facepalming at your pathetic attempt at disregarding decades of progress by further highlighting immutable characteristics instead of what they fought tooth and nail for - being treated as normal individuals. This is why your viewpoints are fucked up.

Dont you guys have a mountain called St.Ni**er?
There is a place N Heads, N Mountain, N Creek and a few others.
I'm not sure the origins of the names. They are changing them I think.
The n word wasn't really used here as a slur so I'm not sure why they came about.

ByWatterson

Black History Month is legit great. Our country was built on an ideal it intentionally violated for most of its history. Talking about it, to the extent it inspires us to live up to that ideal going forward, is great and deserves a month.

BUT

Corporations making white people feel good about carrying the correct guilt is cringy bullshit.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Requoting myself for posterity's sake:

No. Ancestors are facepalming at your pathetic attempt at disregarding decades of progress by further highlighting immutable characteristics instead of what they fought tooth and nail for - being treated as normal individuals. This is why your viewpoints are fucked up.

There's this new push to devolve race into just "immutable characteristics". And it's weird to me. I wonder if that Jordan Peterson guy started this new push, because I never heard people using this phrase until a few years ago.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There's this new push to devolve race into just "immutable characteristics". And it's weird to me. I wonder if that Jordan Peterson guy started this new push, because I never heard people using this phrase until a few years ago.

Because you never bothered to talk to educated Indvidual's. Immutable characteristics has been around for literal centuries. Educate yourself and stop with the idiotic views.

ByWatterson

It's common in legal discourse. Those characteristics that are immutable are more likely to receive special protection against discrimination - race, sex, disability.

But in the American legal context, ESPECIALLY race.

ByWatterson

A colorblind society means that you don't ever notice things that happen to certain races over others. And that's not good.

Not really. The opposite, actually. You'll notice people being treated as members of a group rather than as individuals. If I try to be colorblind, I'm more likely to notice derogations from that ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom