• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade - Announcements and News 2011 Edition

Kafel

Banned
Monster World IV has been spotted in a ESRB listing. The Wonder Boy game is listed for Xbox 360 and that certainly means XBLA.

Kweh

Kafel said:
Monster World IV has been spotted in a ESRB listing. The Wonder Boy game is listed for Xbox 360 and that certainly means XBLA.

Any hope of WB In Monsterland or Dragon's Trap turning up?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Kweh said:
Those are both up (and actually, every Wonder Boy/Monster World game but MW IV, including TG-16 variants) on Virtual Console.

Odds are, (and even if this rating is accurate), this will probably be a one off, though I would totally grab all the Monster World games on XBLA again (if they chose the arcade version of Monster Land, not the garbage SMS version).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Kafel said:

That's... really weird. Never had a worldwide release, either, so that'd be pretty odd to see come to XBLA.

Could this hint at a new round of Megadrive / Genesis re-releases for downloadable services?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SAB CA said:
Could this hint at a new round of Megadrive / Genesis re-releases for downloadable services?
That's what I'm thinking (maybe Phantasy Star III and IV or Street of Rage I and III).

But it's odd because Microsoft has pretty much stopped these straight up emulations on XBLA with exception for something like X-Men (because people will buy that in blind droves just for the characters).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Princess Skittles said:
That's what I'm thinking (maybe Phantasy Star III and IV or Street of Rage I and III).

But it's odd because Microsoft has pretty much stopped these straight up emulations on XBLA with exception for something like X-Men (because people will buy that in blind droves just for the characters).

-nod- Aye. I'd also kinda hope it could be a new direction for Gameroom content (now THAT would be suprising), though that might be even less likely.

Not even possible that it'd be a Toki-style HD remake! (Speaking of that, I hope to hear news on that sometime soon, as well...)

Decado

Noogy said:
Ska Studios has put up a sweet little studio tour to promote next week's release of The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY0rnRzp6y8&hd=1

I think the game most definitely deserves an OT. I even did a little fan art piece (here).

Edit: OXM just scored the game with a glowing
!
Holy shit! Didn't know this was so close to release. Need to call M$ to see if I can get my account info then buy a new 360 (kinda sad that the games I care most about on the 360 are on XBLA...but that's just the way it is, I guess).

TheOddOne

Decado said:
Holy shit! Didn't know this was so close to release. Need to call M$ to see if I can get my account info then buy a new 360 (kinda sad that the games I care most about on the 360 are on XBLA...but that's just the way it is, I guess).
...wat?

Kafel

Banned
Decado said:
...wat?

besiktas1

Decado said:
...wat?

Decado said:

...wat?

OnPoint

Decado said:

...wat?

Struct09

Decado said:

...wat?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Princess Skittles said:
Best guess I'd make is that all those classic games are creeping up in Marketplace sales as the market widens and that's forcing MS to reevaluate their stance on it. I could see a lot of new 360 owners who haven't kept up with XBLA finding the amount of stuff on it daunting, and ultimately just landing their finger on some cheap classic to try it out. It's like how MKII was still doing beaucoup sales on PSN long after release simply by virtue of low price.

400 point initial releases have pretty much been off-limits for the past few years, and look how Case Zero did when it brought it back, sold like mad. It certainly seems like they're having a lot more sales on 800+ point games recently too, which they probably wouldn't if they weren't proving to be successful. There definitely seems to be a demand they're addressing, and bringing back quick & dirty ports could be another step.

Decado

...um...I've long since forgotten my username/pswd and my 360 died a while back....?

Pretty sure if I have my account info I can redownload the titles I bought and recover my points.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Shig said:
Best guess I'd make is that all those classic games are creeping up in Marketplace sales as the market widens and that's forcing MS to reevaluate their stance on it. I could see a lot of new 360 owners who haven't kept up with XBLA finding the amount of stuff on it daunting, and ultimately just landing their finger on some cheap classic to try it out. It's like how MKII was still doing beaucoup sales on PSN long after release simply by virtue of low price.

400 point initial releases have pretty much been off-limits for the past few years, and look how Case Zero did when it brought it back, sold like mad. It certainly seems like they're having a lot more sales on 800+ point games recently too, which they probably wouldn't if they weren't proving to be successful. There definitely seems to be a demand they're addressing, and bringing back quick & dirty ports could be another step.
Well Case Zero was basically a paid (extra large) demo (or a DLC mission that didn't need the disc, whatever), it's impossible to compare that to original content on XBLA that doesn't have a hugely budgeted and marketed retail disc game to piggyback on.

I dunno, Microsoft has a huge lineup for XBLA lately and three games a week seems to be popping up more often. I think they will want to keep their focus on original content. It's possible that they may do another "Classic Sega" week like the last time they dropped five or six Genesis games on XBLA at once (which was also after their supposed move away from emulated classics).

burgerdog

Decado said:
...um...I've long since forgotten my username/pswd and my 360 died a while back....?

Pretty sure if I have my account info I can redownload the titles I bought and recover my points.
Call "M$", cool kid.

Kweh said:
Princess Skittles said:
Those are both up on Virtual Console.

Odds are, this will probably be a one off, though I would totally grab all the Monster World games on XBLA again (if they chose the arcade version of Monster Land, not the garbage SMS version).
My nostalgia bone is tickling me. . . I will buy definitely. Hopefully it will be the arcade version too.

Monster World IV deserves to make an appearance on every videogame console.
It is so good.

Either XBLA or a Sega Genesis Collection volume 2 I will buy them both no question.

Some XBLA reviews in OXM:

Yar's Revenge - 6.0 (varied enemies, offline co-op, only six stages, no branching paths)
Moon Diver - 4.5 (online co-op, cool bosses, single player "a hopeless grind")
The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile - 9.0 (well balanced difficulty, fulfilling co-op, "rockin" soundtrack)

steveovig said:
Says you! I played the demo and I was hooked. Nothing groundbreaking but it feels like it'll be a good romp!
I guess it's cool for $10, but I was expecting something that did a little more justice to Rush N' Attack.

The things that disappointed me was the stiff animations, the ugly/generic characters and models (PS1 era hands are awesome), getting mobbed by 20 guys (probably encouragement to sneak so I'll let that pass) and I have no idea why I was expecting the story to be at least half way decent.

And I don't mind the Splinter Cell sneak mechanic or Metroidvania level design, but I do kind of wish it was a straight forward arcade style action title like the old game was.

Like I said, for $10 it may be cool, but after being spoiled by games like Hard Corpse, and Shadow Complex (yes I know they were a whopping $5 more, big deal), it's hard to accept this.

My problem was that I was expecting too much from a game with the classic "Rush N' Attack" name.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
HadesGigas said:
Some XBLA reviews in OXM:

Yar's Revenge - 6.0 (varied enemies, offline co-op, only six stages, no branching paths)
Moon Diver - 4.5 (online co-op, cool bosses, single player "a hopeless grind")
The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile - 9.0 (well balanced difficulty, fulfilling co-op, "rockin" soundtrack)
Any word on Red Faction: Battlegrounds?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Monster World IV deserves to make an appearance on every videogame console.
It is so good.

Either XBLA or a Sega Genesis Collection volume 2 I will buy them both no question.

It just better be translated, otherwise it is all for naught.

besiktas1

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Apparently I've been tapped to review Rush'N'Attack: Ex-Patriot.
Wish me the best. =/
I think I'm the exception, I put it on easy, skipped all cutscenes and enjoyed the trial. I'm buying it when I get my new batch of points in. Then again I buy almost everything on XBLA (which is strange that I don't have REZ...)

edit; I'm bored at work so I'm going to look through the wiki list and see which ones I have...
I'll post in a bit (I won't go through the PSN list, though I have a shit ton of those too.)

e2: List wars! (some of these games I bought on PSN)
Splosion Man
3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures
Aegis Wing
Assault Heroes
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
Braid
Castle Crashers
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
Comic Jumper
Dead Rising: Case West
Dead Rising: Case Zero
DeathSpank
Feeding Frenzy
Feeding Frenzy 2
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
Hydrophobia
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lazy Raiders
Marble Blast Ultra
Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond
Mega Man 10
Monday Night Combat
N+
Plants vs. Zombies
Rocket Knight
Rocket Riot
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
Shadow Complex
Shank
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1
South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!
Stacking
Super Meat Boy
Switchball
The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai
The Maw
TotemBall
Toy Soldiers
Trials HD
Undertow
Zombie Apocalypse
Deadliest Warrior: The Game
Pinball FX
Pinball FX 2
Carcassonne
Gin Rummy
Hardwood Backgammon
Hardwood Hearts
Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers
Risk: Factions
Texas Hold 'em
Uno
Uno Rush
Altered Beast
Galaga
Gauntlet
Golden Axe
Joust
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Ms. Pac-Man
Shinobi
Smash TV
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled
Banjo-Kazooie
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Comix Zone
Earthworm Jim HD
Ecco the Dolphin
Final Fight: Double Impact
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition
Perfect Dark
Phantasy Star II
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage 2
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Raskulls
AstroPop
Bejeweled 2
Diner Dash
Exit
Hexic HD
Hexic 2
Ilomilo
Jewel Quest
Limbo
Luxor 2
Peggle
Portal: Still Alive
Puzzle Quest 2 I
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Tower Bloxx Deluxe
Zuma
Dash of Destruction
Doritos Crash Course
GripShift
Hydro Thunder Hurricane
OutRun Online Arcade
TNT Racers
Yaris
Costume Quest
Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode One
Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode Two
After Burner Climax
Snoopy Flying Ace
3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures
3 on 3 NHL Arcade
Madden NFL Arcade
NBA 2K10 Draft Combine
Tecmo Bowl Throwback
A Kingdom for Keflings
A World of Keflings
Band of Bugs
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Commander's Challenge
Crystal Defenders
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Outpost Kaloki X
Swarm
Torchlight
Worms
Worms 2: Armageddon

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Apparently I've been tapped to review Rush'N'Attack: Ex-Patriot.
Wish me the best. =/
Game's got a fair amount of jank, but taken as a new take on 8- or 16-bit sidesview action gaming, like Shadow Complex before it, it's not terrible. (And it's obviously not anywhere near as polished as SC, though that game has a bit of its own wonkiness in places.) I've had fun with this new Rush 'N Attack so far even despite some brutally vicious instant deaths from water hazards and when enemies pile up on you. I have to say, I like it mostly because of the exploration and the simple melee combat. More standard sideview action fare than something being specifically influenced by Metroid, anyway.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
besiktas1 said:
I think I'm the exception, I put it on easy, skipped all cutscenes and enjoyed the trial. I'm buying it when I get my new batch of points in. Then again I buy almost everything on XBLA (which is strange that I don't have REZ...)

I did the same now I feel bad..

'Splosion Man
1942: Joint Strike
After Burner Climax
Alien Hominid HD
Altered Beast
Assault Heroes
Assault Heroes 2
Battlefield 1943
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Bomberman Live
Bomberman Live: Battlefest
Boom Boom Rocket
Braid
Bubble Bobble Neo!
Bust-A-Move Live!
Castle Crashers
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Cloning Clyde
Comic Jumper
Contra
Crazy Taxi
Crystal Quest
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
Dash of Destruction
Darwinia+ (Steam though)
Deadliest Warrior: The Game
Dead Rising: Case Zero
DeathSpank (Steam)
Death Tank
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Doom
Doom II: Hell on Earth
Double Dragon
Duke Nukem 3D
Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project
Earthworm Jim HD
Every Extend Extra Extreme
Feeding Frenzy
Frogger
Full House Poker
Galaga
Gauntlet
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
Greed Corp
Gunstar Heroes
Hard Corps: Uprising
Heavy Weapon
Hexic HD
Ikaruga
Ilomilo
Jetpac Refuelled
Joust
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lumines Live!
Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers (Game I worked on, so free)
Marble Blast Ultra
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond
Mega Man 9
Metal Slug 3
Mr. Driller Online
Mutant Storm Reloaded
N+
Novadrome
Omega Five
Outpost Kaloki X
OutRun Online Arcade
Pac-Man Championship Edition
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
Paperboy
Peggle
Perfect Dark
Pinball FX
Pinball FX 2
Plants vs. Zombies
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
Rez HD
Risk: Factions (Game I worked on, so free)
Robotron: 2084
Rocket Riot
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
Sensible World of Soccer
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
Shadow Complex
Small Arms
Smash TV
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Space Ark
Space Giraffe
Space Invaders Extreme
Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
Streets of Rage 2
Super Meat Boy
TotemBall
Trials HD
Trigger Heart Exelica
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Undertow
Uno
Vigilante 8 Arcade
Wolfenstein 3D
Worms
Worms 2: Armageddon
Zombie Apocalypse

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
besiktas1 said:
Feel bad :mad: You do not have switchball.

Weird, I had no idea that game existed until this post, I must have missed it when it released but it looks like something I will enjoy, so I will try it out when I get home!

besiktas1

Label said:
Weird, I had no idea that game existed until this post, I must have missed it when it released but it looks like something I will enjoy, so I will try it out when I get home!

It's one of my favourite games but has my biggest gripe in a game too.

After taking soo long past the final level I was awarded with jack shit. No fireworks. Not even a congratulations credits with song that would piss me off because I can't skip it. Nothing. I was so disappointed lol I don't know why. Maybe because I was so happy I passed the hardest level ever, and enjoyed the game so much but I got nothing... :(

Switchball is one game that I pushed myself so damned hard to complete despite not having any fun at all. I absolutely hated the game. My roommate at the time actually enjoyed watching me play it because of how much turmoil I put myself through just to beat it. My only (sad) excuse is that I got it fairly early on and was still playing stuff for needless achievement points. And there wasn't a ton of other Arcade games worth my money, either.

But now I own something like 80+ Arcade titles (maybe even 100? No idea since I deleted a bunch sometime ago back when I only had the 20GB drive). Since this is a news thread I won't spend the time now to list all of mine but if someone made a thread that just celebrates all the released Xbox Live Arcade games for us to just ramble about what we own and suggest games to one another I'd do so there. Just saying.

see5harp

Decado said:
?????? Who else would I call?

Or you could probably just login to xbox.com and click "forgot your password" like any other website on the planet. From here you can queue everything back up and/or transfer licenses to your new console (if you want to).

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Kafel said:
For the record, every other region's ratings are listing this for Wii, so it appears to be an ESRB snafu.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
besiktas1 said:
Feel bad :mad: You do not have switchball.
I'm bristling with a lot of emotions here over someone that doesn't have Pac-man CE or CE DX lambasting someone over not having Switchball.

PS: The 3DS game that you're waiting for only has CE, not CE DX.
PPS: The timing in Namco's PSP conversion of CE was totally off and pretty much ruined the game.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, it is time to play that game again, everybody's favorite game, yes it is time once again for "Grab That Code" The rules are simple, I have 6 Torchlight Codes, 6 Islands of Wakfu and 6 Full House Poker codes to give away, As always first come, first serve, and if I happen to run out of codes for one game, well, you might be getting a code for one of the others. I'll be posting updates while this commences and until all the codes are gone in which I will be ignoring your PMs. Oh boy, let the floodgates open.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shard said:
Right, it is time to play that game again, everybody's favorite game, yes it is time once again for "Grab That Code" The rules are simple, I have 6 Torchlight Codes, 6 Islands of Wakfu and 6 Full House Poker codes to give away, As always first come, first serve, and if I happen to run out of codes for one game, well, you might be getting a code for one of the others. I'll be posting updates while this commences and until all the codes are gone in which I will be ignoring your PMs. Oh boy, let the floodgates open.

I wouldn't mind trying the console version of Torchlight.

Edit: Wow, thanks man.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Shard said:
I'll take Wakfu

Thanks very much Shard ^_^

Top Bottom