• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, so all of the old mega-threads have been declared too unwieldy for continued use so it is time for for a fresh start after 5 years. Moreover, it has been suggested that consolidation be enacted like with the other services, so now this thread is merging the game services together like the Nintendo Downloads and Playstation Store.

Xbox Live Arcade Overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live_Arcade

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) is a type of video game available primarily in a section of the Xbox Live Marketplace, Microsoft's digital distribution network for Xbox 360. As of August 11, 2010, there have been 318 Xbox Live Arcade titles released for the Xbox 360.

Prior to the Xbox 360, "Xbox Live Arcade" was the name for an online distribution network on the original Xbox, which was replaced by the Xbox Live Marketplace.
Contents

The Xbox Live Arcade service was officially announced on May 12, 2004 at Microsoft's E3 press conference and launched on November 3, 2004 for the original Xbox game console.

The XBLA software was obtained by ordering it on Microsoft's website. It was sent by mail on a disc that also contained a free version of the Ms. Pac-Man video game. To generate greater publicity for the service, the disc was also distributed with special issues of the Official Xbox Magazine and as part of the Forza Motorsport Xbox console bundle.

The service launched with six titles and expanded its library to twelve titles by the end of the year. Once connected to Xbox Live, customers could purchase additional titles by using a credit card, or download a limited trial version of a game.[4] Prices for the games range from USD $4.99 to $14.99.

On November 22, 2005, XBLA was relaunched on the Xbox 360. The service was integrated into the main Dashboard user interface, and the Xbox 360 hard drives were bundled with a free copy of Hexic HD.[7] Every Arcade title on the Xbox 360 supports leaderboards, has 200 Achievement points, and high-definition 720p graphics. They also have a trial version available for free download. These demos are playable and most of them offer only a fraction of the levels, modes, and content of the full game. A full version of the game must be purchased to allow the user to upload scores to the leaderboards, unlock achievements, play online multiplayer, and download bonus content.

Several new features and enhancements have been added through software updates including a friends leaderboard, additional sorting options, faster enumeration of games, an auto-download feature for newly released trial games, and "Tell a Friend" messages.

On July 12, 2006, Microsoft launched the "Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays" program, which promised a new Arcade game to be launched every Wednesday for the rest of that Summer. When that summer ended, Microsoft announced that new titles for XBLA would also be released on Wednesdays.

In order to promote the service in retail, Microsoft released Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged Volume 1 as a compilation disc of six games. On October 18, 2007, Microsoft announced the Xbox 360 Arcade console SKU which includes full versions of Boom Boom Rocket, Feeding Frenzy, Luxor 2, Pac-Man Championship Edition, and Uno.

On May 22, 2008 Microsoft's general manager of Xbox Live, Marc Whitten, detailed changes for the service that included increasing the size limit of the games to 350MB and improving the way digital rights management is handled. Furthermore, Microsoft created an internal games studio to create "high quality digital content" for XBLA.

On July 30, 2008, Microsoft announced the XBLA Summer of Arcade. Anyone who downloaded one of the titles released over August, (Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2, Braid, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Galaga Legions and Castle Crashers) would be entered into a prize draw with a grand prize of 100,000 Microsoft Points, 12 Month Xbox Live Gold subscription, and an Xbox 360 Elite console. Another Summer of Arcade began the next year on July 22, 2009. Anyone who purchases all the titles released, ('Splosion Man, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled, Trials HD and Shadow Complex,) will receive an 800 point reward. The next Summer of Arcade began on July 21, 2010, and features Limbo, Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, Monday Night Combat and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

The original size limit imposed by Microsoft for Xbox Live Arcade games was 50MB, in order to ensure any downloaded game could fit on a 64MB Xbox memory unit. As the service became more popular, the limit was increased to 150MB. Further along the line this restriction was removed entirely and now the top limit is 2GB, which is a technical restriction of the system rather than an arbitrary limit imposed by Microsoft.

Game Room Overview
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Room

Game Room is a gaming service for the Xbox 360 video game system and Microsoft Windows PCs. Launched on March 24, 2010, Game Room lets players download classic video games and compete against each other for high scores.[1] Players on both Xbox 360 and Windows PCs access Game Room through their respective versions of Microsoft's Live online services (Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live).
Contents
[hide]

The Game Room front end can be downloaded at no charge from Microsoft's Marketplace online storefront. When launched, players are presented with a three-story virtual video arcade, each story containing four separate rooms. These rooms may be decorated however the player wishes, using the included themes and set pieces. Ultimately, the player will fill the rooms with virtual game cabinets that are used to play arcade and console games downloaded through the service, with each room holding a maximum of eight cabinets.

Games for Game Room are made available through downloadable "game packs" released from time to time. While the game packs are free to download, individual games must be purchased in order to be played fully. Players may play each game in the game pack once without charge, limited to ten minutes of game time. Games may be purchased for unlimited use on one platform of the player's choosing (either Xbox 360 or Windows PC) or on both platforms. Players who purchase games for use on a single platform may upgrade them later to add the other platform. When a game is purchased, the player may stock their arcade with copies of the cabinets, which are then used to launch the games themselves.
[edit] Gameplay

Games in Game Room are launched by selecting them while players browse through their arcade. Each game offers a number of gameplay options, dependent on its format. Arcade games have DIP switches that may be changed in order to increase difficulty or offer additional lives to the player, while console games have their original gameplay variations. Both are accessible using Game Room's on-screen interfaces. Also, most games can be played in "ranked mode," which allows scores to be posted to online leaderboards while limiting gameplay options to a single variation common to all players.

While browsing their arcades, players will see avatars of themselves and their online friends wandering around and playing the games; Xbox 360 players will see their console avatars, while PC players see generic avatars instead. Similarly, players may visit the arcades of their online friends as well as play the games found there. If a friend's arcade has a game that the player does not own, the player may purchase plays or may use their in-game "tokens." However, the player may play copies of a game they already own for free. Players may also challenge their friends at various games in both score-based and skill-based contests.

During gameplay, players win medals based on their score or how long they have played the game (both for that individual play and all-time on that game). Medals are offered in gold, silver and bronze, with each being worth a certain number of points. As players earn medals, they can advance in levels, which will unlock new themes and set pieces to be used in their arcades. Like other LIVE titles, players also earn achievements based on their gameplay.

Coming soon to Xbox Live Marketplace:
http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/31/coming-soon-to-the-xbox-live-marketplace-aug-31.aspx

Coming soon to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace

Xbox LIVE Arcade:

November 4: King Of Fighters 2002, 800 Microsoft Points

November 4: Undergarden, 800 Microsoft Points

November 10: Guwange, 800 Microsoft Points

November 10: Faery : Legends of Avalon, ???? Microsoft Points

November 17: Alien Breed 3: Descent, 800 Microsoft Points

November 24: Crazy Taxi, 800 Microsoft Points

December 1: Unbound Saga, 800 Microsoft Points

December 8: Bomberman Live: Battlefest, ??? Microsoft Points

December 22: A World of Keflings, 800 Microsoft Points and available worldwide

December 27: Dead Rising 2: Case West, 800 Microsoft Points

December 29: Raskulls, 800 Microsoft Points

January 5: ilomilo, 800 Microsoft Points

Parham

Banned
With the amount of games released on XBLA and Indie Games, wouldn't it be better to have separate official threads?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
azentium said:
With the amount of games released on XBLA and Indie Games, wouldn't it be better to have separate official threads for each one?

Think of this as the equivalent of the Steam thread.

Rlan

I'd prefer a weekly thread similar to PSN -- it would allow more Indie games and Game Room updates to get more attention than the single threads, and this too will get bloated like before.

Oreoleo

Rlan said:
I'd prefer a weekly thread similar to PSN -- it would allow more Indie games and Game Room updates to get more attention than the single threads, and this too will get bloated like before.

If there were a significant enough update to Game Room or a particularly cool game coming out on Indie Games there's no reason why you couldn't start a new thread for those events.

I mean, right?

fernoca

Yeah, there is a month Xbox Indie Games thread, but has only been done 2 months (June and August). But still nice. Made a few purchases because of the August thread.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
HadesGigas said:
There is already a monthly thread for Indie Games.

There were those in favor of consolidation, time was short and a new thread was needed. Now that the issue has been belayed for a time we can discuss things further.

UraMallas

Rlan said:
Agreed. Since we're starting over we might as well do it right.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
As mentioned, weekly thread is fine, but someone needs to be willing to actually do it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rlan said:
It would make sense, XBLA gets as much or even more content than PSN but it didn't work out before. I'd do it myself but I probably don't have the resources to pull it off.
If someone has recommendations for good news resources and shit I'd play the kassatsu role for XBL. I have nothing better to do with my time.

Rlan

Major Nelson is the place to go for the "this week in XBLA" list.

The official LIve Game Room Twitter is the best spot for Game Room updates, they tell you a week in advance:

http://twitter.com/LIVEGameRoom

This week is (Atari 2600) Freeway, Maze Craze, Seaquest (Intellivision) Snafu, Chip Shot Golf.

Avatar Clothing and Indie Games would be just based on others inclusions, or if we know a XBLIG game is in submission it shouldn't take too long to find out.

Kafel

Banned
errrr, XBLA + XLIG + Game Room + Netflix + Avatar clothes + Themes + DOTW + DLC + Live activity charts all go here ?

In order to increase the info visibility ?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rlan said:
Major Nelson is the place to go for the "this week in XBLA" list.

The official LIve Game Room Twitter is the best spot for Game Room updates, they tell you a week in advance:

http://twitter.com/LIVEGameRoom

This week is (Atari 2600) Freeway, Maze Craze, Seaquest (Intellivision) Snafu, Chip Shot Golf.

Avatar Clothing and Indie Games would be just based on others inclusions, or if we know a XBLIG game is in submission it shouldn't take too long to find out.

Cool. The only thing I would need help with is banners, if we were to use them. I'd probably stay close to the PSN template since kass does such an awesome job. If no one else wants to do a weekly I'll give it a shot, I might not be ready this week but next for sure. Sounds fun : )

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kafel said:
errrr, XBLA + XLIG + Game Room + Netflix + Avatar clothes + Themes + DOTW + DLC + Live activity charts all go here ?

In order to increase the info visibility ?

We are still trying to figure that sort of thing, except indie games, indie games already have a separate keeper who does monthly threads. Moreover, there is talk of making XBLA threads a weekly thing, though somebody insane enough to keep track of all that week after week has yet to be found.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Shard said:
We are still trying to figure that sort of thing, except indie games, indie games already have a separate keeper who does monthly threads. Moreover, there is talk of making XBLA threads a weekly thing, though somebody insane enough to keep track of all that week after week has yet to be found.
I want to try but your all encompassing thread will still be valuable since it'll be the place for announcements and updates. A weekly thread will be for informing on just the current releases.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Snuggler said:
Cool. The only thing I would need help with is banners, if we were to use them. I'd probably stay close to the PSN template since kass does such an awesome job. If no one else wants to do a weekly I'll give it a shot, I might not be ready this week but next for sure. Sounds fun : )

You are welcome to it, I do enough for this division without having to keep track of that insane amount of info and my time is limited. Good luck.

PSGames

Yeah a weekly thread would be awesome. It doesn't have to be the same person every week right? People could alternate to help.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Shard said:
You are welcome to it, I do enough for this division without having to keep track of that insane amount of info and my time is limited. Good luck.
Thanks, you're like the no. 1 source of XBLA news here so I can only hope to keep up but I'm here everyday and I'd like to think I can hold it down as long as a few informed gaffers help me out if I miss info or whatev.

Someone should get paid to do weekly threads
I'll do it for free avatar accessories.

Kafel

Banned
I take the advantage that EviLore is not reading : why not continue on the same model and just start over again whenever he needs to put stuff as archive ?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
But the weekly threads should exist. GAF has more browsers than posters, people come here for info. I made the Rock Band DLC thread because that info wasn't available anywhere else on here aside from being buried in the PSN threads.

Meh, we'll see.

Nasreddin

But the weekly threads should exist. GAF has more browsers than posters, people come here for info.
This. The mega threads were the best and most complete information sources about Xbox Live's downloadable games on the internet. I hope this news stream will continue in this thread. It is nice to have unique threads for significant announcements, but this threads should be linked here.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Flying Hamster Soaring To PSP, PlayStation 3, And Xbox 360

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/15/the-flying-hamster-soaring-to-psp-playstation-3-and-xbox-360/

When The Game Atelier announced The Flying Hamster it was only announced for PSP and maybe mobile phones. It appears that the Paris based developer has bigger plans for their cute ‘em up.

The ESRB rated the game, warning parents about vomiting cats and beer drinking, and leaked other platforms for the game. According to the rating board, The Flying Hamster is also coming to PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Those versions have not been announced at this time.

V_Ben

Banned
Weekly thread is a pretty good idea. All you really need is a template similar to Kassatsu's PSN threads, and you should be good to go.

I had lost all interest in XBLA, but then LIMBO came along and brought it all back!

My frustration is that the games I'm interested in take an eternity to actually release, or never release.

V_Ben said:
Weekly thread is a pretty good idea. All you really need is a template similar to Kassatsu's PSN threads, and you should be good to go.
Yep, definitely think it's time to do a weekly XBL Marketplace update thread.

TheOddOne

Monty Mole said:
I had lost all interest in XBLA, but then LIMBO came along and brought it all back!

My frustration is that the games I'm interested in take an eternity to actually release, or never release.

Yep, definitely think it's time to do a weekly XBL Marketplace update thread.
Fez :/

Shard said:
Just the way the system works. Yea, it is bullshit, but it is up to Microsoft to change things.

I haven't read anything at all about the game being done or anything so what does it have to do with Microsoft?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
HadesGigas said:
I haven't read anything at all about the game being done or anything so what does it have to do with Microsoft?

Nothing in specific to Fez, that game is probably legitimately unfinished. The thing is many, many, many other games do reach completion well before they are actually released. For example, The Wallace and Grommit episodes past part one were held up by the Summer of Arcade and then eventually just dumped onto the service one week to burn them off accordingly.

xbhaskarx

Rlan said:

This is what I suggested in the Official XBLA Thread like six months ago...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
xbhaskarx said:
This is what I suggested in the Official XBLA Thread like six months ago...

The central conceit was missed, if such a thing is to be done, then it has to actually be done, only now do we see somebody actually attempt to do a weekly all-encompassing XBLM thread.

Gowans

Yeah a weekly thread would seem like work, plus having to wait for it to be made etc. This should be just fine for everything I think.

If shard wasn't so on the ball with OTs for games it might be a diff story.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gowans007 said:
Yeah a weekly thread would seem like work, plus having to wait for it to be made etc. This should be just fine for everything I think.

If shard wasn't so on the ball with OTs for games it might be a diff story.

Another reason why I would not want to do the massive weekly thread, the OTs would suffer for it.

xbhaskarx said:
Well if this is the new XBLA thread at least someone who is active made the OP and it can be updated. The previous one was five years out of date.

I love how Hoopworld is on that list of "launch window games". A game that just came out like 3 weeks ago (and not even on Xbox).

xbhaskarx

HadesGigas said:
I love how Hoopworld is on that list of "launch window games". A game that just came out like 3 weeks ago (and not even on Xbox).

I didn't know that finally came out... it looks like a basketball version of Sega Soccer Slam.

Rlan said:

Sorry, I think the oposite. This way is just a single thread to track, and when using different threads each week/month there is always someone who just bump the wrong thread (see the monthly covers threads).

But I will miss the old mega-thread.

Oh, let's start with a question: which is the deal of the weel today?

Rlan

Chiaroscuro said:
Sorry, I think the oposite. This way is just a single thread to track, and when using different threads each week/month there is always someone who just bump the wrong thread (see the monthly covers threads).

But I will miss the old mega-thread.

Oh, let's start with a question: which is the deal of the weel today?

It's the Dragon Age DLC... again.

glaurung

Kinda meh news I suppose.

But has there been any talk about updating NXE and finally bringing it into the world of clear text and not the blurry awfulness that exists today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom