• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaspode_T

I thought you were French for some reason.

Oh well, I'm bilingual. My translation:

The French guys around here are Kafel and Blim (what happened to Blim anyway?)

Sounds like Wednesday was confirmed to be Scarygirl and Haunt for XBLA

Kotaku has positive impression of Scarygirl up: http://kotaku.com/scarygirl/
What if I told you I've played it and it was a ton of fun? What if I told you it reminded me of one of my favorite PS1 platformers of all time? Would you be as curious as I am as to why nobody has been talking about this game? Of course you possibly might!

Gaspode_T

Also the Keflings voting seems to be up: http://playxbla.com/which-keflings-theme-should-win/

I am a certified Ninja Bee fanboy, Akimi Village was the first game I 100% cleared on my PS3 I just got last year :p They could make the theme about nearly anything and I would still play through it...it's the style of catharsis that makes social games fun but with enough thinking involved that it doesn't make me feel bad to play them

any news on the new Trials? I know they were aiming for a late 2011 release and then haven't heard anything since Ubi bought redlynx

any news on the new Trials? I know they were aiming for a late 2011 release and then haven't heard anything since Ubi bought redlynx

Quick update on the Trials Evolution release date – obviously we did not make 2011, we are sorry about that.

We have been very busy with the game, but 2012 is the year. We can’t say when yet, but we are super busy, so that’s a clue. We hope to have a big announcement with a more solid release date within the the near future.

Thanks for your patience!

https://www.facebook.com/RedLynxGamer/posts/301495616554487

Z_Y

Somebody is going to hate me for the bump because they are waiting just like me but...

Shouldn't the new deals of the week be posted by now? Any hints as to what they are?

Somebody is going to hate me for the bump because they are waiting just like me but...

Shouldn't the new deals of the week be posted by now? Any hints as to what they are?

Because it is already know since last week:

GTA IV
1/17 – 1/23
25% off

GTA IV – The Ballad of Gay Tony
1/17 – 1/23
800 (50% off)

GTA IV – The Lost and Damned JP
1/17 – 1/23
800 (50% off)

GTA IV – The Lost and Damned
1/17 – 1/23
400 (50% off)

GTA San Andreas
1/17 – 1/23
800 (33% off)

Foob

fuuuck i was just about to buy orcs must die, didnt realize they do weekly sales

looking to get an xbla game since i'm snowed in.. sucks shadow complex is still full price; how is dungeon defenders?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dungeon Defenders was kind of worth it at sale price, but now that it's a new sale week...meh. It's more of a PC game - the console versions have been left in the dust in terms of free content and patch fixes.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Very nice to see! The list of features sounds like a nice beginning:

4-Player Co-op, Offline or via Xbox LIVE!
That’s right, now you can team up to clear dungeons with 3 other players on the same console or via Xbox LIVE.

Unique Dungeons and Legions of Monsters
Each dungeon you explore offers unique challenges and requires a different strategy.
The deeper you delve into the dungeons, the more monsters you’ll have to defeat.

Hundreds of Items
Create and enchant items to defeat stronger enemies and collect even more items!
Trade items with other players for more customization options, and to help a fellow fighter, of course.

Story-Based Campaign
Delivered in dynamic comic style, this dramatic storyline will drive your Dungeon Fighter to the limit!

New HD Graphics
See the world of the Dungeon Fighter like you never have before.

So, from seeing the trailer, here's what it looks like to me:

- Obviously remade control and item system. Alot less screen clutter.
- 720 proper widescreen (The PC game stretches unless you use a hack of some sort)
- Looks like filtered character sprites, though the fine outline around them says there may be more touchups.
- Redrawn backgrounds (From the dungeons to the town areas)
- New Comic Art, and New character art (AGAIN! It's changed on PC a few times too), but seems to keep pretty much all the personality (so probably drawn by in-house artist)
- YAY! SAME CONSOLE CO-OP! Sounds like you can mix on and offline players to, I'll always love this feature! Brawlers are best played with local friends, no exceptions.

I wonder if the game will be Episodic like the PC version, however? We only see 3 of the primary classes at this point, and the "Fall of Hendon Myre" subtitle could aim towards annual releases or something. REALLY intrigued by how this will turn out.

Dust, Spelunky, Retro City Rampage, and this are some of the XBLA games I'm looking most forward to at the moment.... Wish I could look forward to some of them before the mostly samey-looking House Party promo games start...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
did anyone ever play that mech game by double fine?

It's fun. I mean, I only played the demo, but I got a good sense of the game and I liked it a lot. Slick presentation.

It has DLC coming up soon and it's likely to get a PC release so if you're cost conscious I'd grab the PC version in a Steam sale this summer or next Christmas rather than going ahead on XBLA.

PlayXBLA posted up that there will be some info coming from TequilaWorks tomorrow. Looks to be Deadlight. I haven't seen anything on this yet... could be interesting.

Also.. I believe this is a new Sine Mora trailer

The Deadlight description onsite sounds like it could be cool, will be nice to see something of it.

"In an apocalyptic world where existence is futile, a solitary man treks the American west coast. The year is 1986 and a mysterious disease has decimated mankind, transforming people into killer automatons. Survival is the measure of all in this original cinematic puzzle platformer. Deadlight is the frightening odyssey of an ordinary man fighting extinction like a flame in the desert. Hopeless and unable to escape the horrors of a dying world, Randall Wayne will reveal himself as a natural born survivor.

Deadlight is to be released as an XBLA exclusive title in summer 2012."

Jhoan

haha okay, guess I should finally grab it

did anyone ever play that mech game by double fine?

You're talking about Iron Brigade (which was formely known as Trenched). I bought the game at full price. It's basically Armored Core/Front Mission (mecha customizations/operator customizations) mixed with a tower defense game and a little bit of Diablo (loot). It's pretty damn good; very colorful, interesting enemy designs, good character models, extremely high production values (because it was published by Microsoft). Like Stumpokapow said, there is an add-on that in the works (a trailer was released yesterday I think) there's no release date for it, but it has a new campaign new weapons, and chasis parts. Oh and it takes place after the end of the game; an epilogue campaign.

The story isn't as prominent as the game makes it seem (which itself is very good), so it would have been nice if there were more story elements. This is the only game that has a salute button which is hilarious. It's so much more enjoyable when you're playing it with 3 other players online.

Speaking of the multiplayer, the game does have connection issues, so some sessions that I've gotten into were extremely laggy, others were decent; it's probably because I get paired with a lot of European players, instead of U.S. players.

It takes at least 2 minutes to find another player. If you get a party of 4, you'd be even lucky if they don't end up bailing out (which is why you should play it with friends/GAFers). Plus players tend to switch the mission you want to do to another one (which is annoying).

I'd love for more GAFers to check this game out because it's one of Double Fine's best games to date and one of my favorite XBLA games from last year. If you anyone does check it out (at least the 360 version), let's get a party of 4 and kick some ass.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Any news about the Joe & Mac remake?

Golgoth still hasn't released Toki. Since then, they've announced three or four titles. The most recent, Magical Drop V, was announced with a publisher (Ignition), due to be released last summer, and is still not out. I am not convinced Golgoth is a real software developer. If they are, I am not convinced they are a competent software developer. If they are, I am still not convinced they'll get their released titles out this generation.

They feel to me like a DD version of Nibris.

Teknoman

You're talking about Iron Brigade (which was formely known as Trenched). I bought the game at full price. It's basically Armored Core/Front Mission (mecha customizations/operator customizations) mixed with a tower defense game and a little bit of Diablo (loot). It's pretty damn good; very colorful, interesting enemy designs, good character models, extremely high production values (because it was published by Microsoft). Like Stumpokapow said, there is an add-on that in the works (a trailer was released yesterday I think) there's no release date for it, but it has a new campaign new weapons, and chasis parts. Oh and it takes place after the end of the game; an epilogue campaign.

The story isn't as prominent as the game makes it seem (which itself is very good), so it would have been nice if there were more story elements. This is the only game that has a salute button which is hilarious. It's so much more enjoyable when you're playing it with 3 other players online.

Speaking of the multiplayer, the game does have connection issues, so some sessions that I've gotten into were extremely laggy, others were decent; it's probably because I get paired with a lot of European players, instead of U.S. players.

It takes at least 2 minutes to find another player. If you get a party of 4, you'd be even lucky if they don't end up bailing out (which is why you should play it with friends/GAFers). Plus players tend to switch the mission you want to do to another one (which is annoying).

I'd love for more GAFers to check this game out because it's one of Double Fine's best games to date and one of my favorite XBLA games from last year. If you anyone does check it out (at least the 360 version), let's get a party of 4 and kick some ass.

I think there is a GAF metatag for it, but not sure how many still play. Kinda dialed back abit myself after beating the game. Isnt the DLC supposed to have some sort of survival mode?

I think there is a GAF metatag for it, but not sure how many still play. Kinda dialed back abit myself after beating the game. Isnt the DLC supposed to have some sort of survival mode?

The update that renamed the game from Trenched to Iron Brigade also gave the game a survival mode and a bit more new loot. Not sure how much new loot, though.

The DLC is apparently the eqivalent of a Europe or Africa. Hopefully double that, but unlikely.

Fantastic game.

Gaspode_T

Wow, searching for Dungeon Fighter Live brings up tons of pages selling 'cheap gold' ...

The game looks great, I wonder how the pricing will be set up...I hope it is either cheap or free if the game has lots of unlocking like Crimson alliance did.

Jhoan

That's good to know then. I suppose I'll dig up the OT and see if anyone's down to play it or add the meta tag because I haven't beaten yet.

The survival mode that you're talking about came with the free Iron Brigade so it's available as soon you boot up the game. It's cool I suppose. I think it has some kind of timer so that the longer you survive, the better stuff you get or something like that. The trailer for the up coming add on is called Rise of the Martian Bear; it's a brief teaser.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Deadlight coming exclusively to XBLA this Summer. Bottom shot reminds me of Shadow Complex.

7ye2f.jpg

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...-Rights-to-Indie-Survive-Em-Up-Deadlight.html

Indie studio Tequila Works has announced that its debut game, Deadlight, will be published by Microsoft Studios exclusively on Xbox Live.

Taking place on the American west coast in 1986, Deadlight is a post-apocalyptic survival horror puzzle platformer (that's a mouthful), with you taking control of the wonderfully-named Randall Wayne. You won't find many heroes called that!

"Being published by Microsoft Studios, one of the world's largest publishers, is a true reward for all the team's hard work," said Raúl Rubio, CEO and Creative Director at Tequila Works. "The opportunity to work with first-party publisher Microsoft Studios is a dream come true, and shows their commitment in the talent of small independent studios."

Tequila Works is a Madrid-based studio comprised of veterans from such titles as Commandos, Motorstorm, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Diablo III, Heavy Rain, and Overlord II.

yV4Gl.jpg

F0lfl.jpg

mKVG7.jpg

Indie studio Tequila Works has announced that its debut game, Deadlight, will be published by Microsoft Studios exclusively on Xbox Live.

Taking place on the American west coast in 1986, Deadlight is a post-apocalyptic survival horror puzzle platformer (that's a mouthful), with you taking control of the wonderfully-named Randall Wayne. You won't find many heroes called that!

Considering that I was living in the west coast in 1986 I'm pretty sure it wasn't Post-Appocalyptic there...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DL looks great, as does Dungeon Fighter.

Anyway, anyone bother downloading Scarygirl? Good/bad/

Yeah, I have a soft spot for "Artist gets work turned into games!" situations, lol.

A pretty solid, fun feeling game. The trial lets you explore a few different areas, so it's decently lengthy.

The combo mechanic feel nice, there's blocking like in Smash Bros. (Hold a trigger, get a bubble shield!), she an grapple, float enemies, throw them around... Theres also upgrades available, additional moves to buy for her, and (Offline only) Co-Op through the game. (But the Co-Op can't be experiences in trial, from what I can tell.)

It's vocally narrated, runs pretty smoothly, and does remind one of some of the early PS1 platformers that tried to meld 2D gameplay with some flourishes of 3D, like Pandemonium.

It has nice little tricks in there to keep things interesting, enemies with their own gimmicks, and never seems to really run out of something new or different to do, from what I saw.

Definitely worth a look!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I was really up for Scarygirls until I saw 1200. I hate to be that guy, but so many games go on sale so quick and I knew if I even just hit up the demo I'd probably kill any enthusiasm for buying it when it goes on sale.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I was really up for Scarygirls until I saw 1200. I hate to be that guy, but so many games go on sale so quick and I knew if I even just hit up the demo I'd probably kill any enthusiasm for buying it when it goes on sale.

I can understand that way of thinking, but I have to say, to me, when a game seems to go the extra mile (Narration, well drawn and minimally-animated cinematics, characters with growth potential, etc), it does feel more "worth the money".

I don't know how quickly we can expect this one to go on sale, either. Square Enix published games don't go on sale THAT often, and THe game doesn't come out on PSN till the 24th, and then "later in the year" for PC. Maybe they'd do a sale when it comes out to PC (Like Gattling Gears stealth drop)...

If nothing cames out big between now and House Party, I might be more willing to get Scarygirl, lol. The HP weeks seem like some of the worse on XBLA for me in a good while, as none of those game "naturally" appeal to me, though I could learn to like one or 2...

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Checked the new release list on my 360, show Doom on there, wondered if my 360 had broke. Why did they ever take it down to begin with? As far as I'm concerned the console should come with the game installed...

Checked the new release list on my 360, show Doom on there, wondered if my 360 had broke. Why did they ever take it down to begin with? As far as I'm concerned the console should come with the game installed...

Licensing issues when Bethesda bought id Software. It was originally published by Activision.

PopfulMail

Haunt is pretty cool. I like the look and the voice work is great.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started up Haunt but I was quick to buy it once the trial ended. The game has a fun style to it and it reminds me Luigi's Mansion mixed with Disney's Haunted Mansion. Tim Schaffer does a great job voicing Benjamin and the controls respond really well. I'm thinking there won't really be anything in terms of replayability other than trying to better your score for leaderboards... but for 800 points this seems like a great little ride!!!

bjork

Probably old info I've just missed, but: whatever happened to RBI Baseball? It had an achievement list and everything at one point.

mujun

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started up Haunt but I was quick to buy it once the trial ended. The game has a fun style to it and it reminds me Luigi's Mansion mixed with Disney's Haunted Mansion. Tim Schaffer does a great job voicing Benjamin and the controls respond really well. I'm thinking there won't really be anything in terms of replayability other than trying to better your score for leaderboards... but for 800 points this seems like a great little ride!!!

That's Tim Schafer's voice? Wow, cool. I was taken by surprise at how funny the writing is and loved what I heard of his character's voice. I'm not going to pick it up for now, I'm shy of pulling the trigger on XBLA stuff at the moment (tend to favor retail games these days) but it's definitely a goto if I'm bored one day and looking for something to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom