• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Be sure to download the Hard Corps trial first. If you unlock it from the screen at the end of the trial you get 30m free credits to spend on upgrades. If you just buy it from the dash, you'll have to earn 'em yourself.
That's the best thing I've ever heard. Thanks a lot, will do!

(I'm 10 MSP short for buying all the games I don't already have! 10! Come on!)

Roland Deschain said:
Is the Castlevania DLC worth it? I enjoyed CV LOS but always thought 800 msp per dlc was a bit steep.
Looks like the DLC is on sale too! I'm not seeing anything for 800, highest is 400.

Vert boil

They seem to be all up now. Waiting on XBLDB to update to see if anything else pops up.

DOTW

Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale - 600msp (was 1200)
Torchlight - 600msp (was 1200)
The Baconing - 600msp (was 1200)
Warhammer 40k: Kill Team - 400msp (was 800)

Konami Sale

Battle: Los Angeles - 400msp (was 800)
BurgerTime HD - 400msp (was 800)
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - 600msp (was 1200)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 400msp (was 800)
Hard Corps: Uprising - 600msp (was 1200)
Leedmees - 400msp (was 800)
Puddle - 400msp (was 800)
X-Men - 400msp (was 800)
Zombie Apocalypse - 400msp (was 800)
Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone - 400msp (was 800)

Castlevania LoS DLC
--Castlevania Lord of Shadow: Resurrection - 400msp (was 800)
--Castlevania Lord of Shadow: Reverie - 400msp (was 800)

edit,
Fun Labs: Musical Feet is now free (was 240msp).

edit 2,
Choplifter HD - 800msp (was 1200)

Daigoro

Is the Castlevania DLC worth it? I enjoyed CV LOS but always thought 800 msp per dlc was a bit steep.

im wondering the same. from what ive read, it is short and not worth the original price. but it is on sale.

i only spent 11 bucks on the game, so i guess i can justify 10 for the DLC.

That's the best thing I've ever heard. Thanks a lot, will do!

(I'm 10 MSP short for buying all the games I don't already have! 10! Come on!)

that sucks.

to the other guy who asked, the CV DLC is only worth it if you really like the game and want to see the other levels, want more music, and the loot drops. oh the other characters too.

i only bought two stages and that was enough for me.

Gong

I really liked 40k Kill Team, pity it doesn't have co-op over live.

Avoid Zombie Apocalypse: NDA, the original is a much better game and luckily on sale as well.

Kinda disappointed in Castlevania so far. I know it's supposed to be "MMO light" but it still feels hollow. Hard Corps is kicking insane ass and those 30m points were a nice touch! Too bad there's like a million things to spend them on and I was just constantly confused when I scrolled through the list, lol. Better save the points until I have some idea what's going on.

Moving on to BurgerTime. Not expecting much.

Avoid Zombie Apocalypse: NDA, the original is a much better game and luckily on sale as well.
Neither of them are good and neither should be purchased by anyone, though. (Unless they're stupid enough to collect XBLA like I am.)

NDA does have pretty much the most obnoxious script on the entire console market right now, though. It gets enormous minus points for that. What the fuck is wrong with whoever wrote that main character? If I wanted to listen to 12-y/o-speak, I'd get on Call of Duty and turn my chat volume way up.

Gong

Neither of them are good and neither should be purchased by anyone, though. (Unless they're stupid enough to collect XBLA like I am.)

NDA does have pretty much the most obnoxious script on the entire console market right now, though. It gets enormous minus points for that. What the fuck is wrong with whoever wrote that main character? If I wanted to listen to 12-y/o-speak, I'd get on Call of Duty and turn my chat volume way up.

Oh for sure, but if people are tempted by either of them, go with the first one if they must. That way they won't have to tear their ears off and throw them at the screen when they hear Jeremy, the single worst character ever in a game. Truly awful.

BurgerTime was actually pretty good, but holy shit, is it hard! Feels like the "yeah we didn't really test this" kind of mistake difficulty more than it being intentionally hard too, which is the worst kind. :(

Did Choplifter get a permanent drop or is it on sale? I might get that one too.

Oh for sure, but if people are tempted by either of them, go with the first one if they must. That way they won't have to tear their ears off and throw them at the screen when they hear Jeremy, the single worst character ever in a game. Truly awful.
Oh yes! I've played the first level two times now and I'm about ready to pay 800 for DLC that rips that motherfucker out of the game. I swear if I hear him say "LOL" one more time...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'd be all over Hard Corps if the DLC was on sale as well. But when I consider that it'd be 1000MSP for the full package, it's a skip.

Same with Harmony of Despair, wow. Talk about nickle and diming.

So I think it'll just be Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team for me. I can do local co-op, so lack of online is not as much of a negative. Plus, I can finally use a power sword in Space Marine - hooray!

Man, the actual gameplay in Zombie Apocalypse NDA isn't bad... If only there was a "mute annoying motherfucker" option.

Puddle was really cool but the level designer is kind of a sadistic bastard. Hate games that start to get hard on level 3 out of like 100. Otherwise, really cool and interesting.

Caving on Choplifter too... Fuck it!

I'd be all over Hard Corps if the DLC was on sale as well. But when I consider that it'd be 1000MSP for the full package, it's a skip.
Why do you need the additional characters, though? I always skip DLC like that, it's such an obvious money grub. I don't disagree that it's clear that Konami are ripoff artists but I don't see why you care.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, it comes with 4 characters out of a possible 7. So it definitely feels like I'm missing out on some important and possibly fun content (Sayuri looks a lot different from the rest, from what I can tell).

Kill Team is fun. It's very...lacking in its presentation and I'm not surprised they were closed down after this effort, given that they were essentially importing a whole bunch of resources from Relic (music, models, textures straight out of Dawn of War 2) but still managed to make it seem like it's slightly rushed. Should've copied Dawn of War 2 wholesale and brought over the loot mechanics too.

But yeah, extraeneous fluff aside, it's a decent twin-stick shooter with easy achievements for 5$. Whatever.

Jhoan

Personally, I didn't like Torchlight and I bought it for 600 MSP when it was on sale so I would not recommend it. It has frame rate issues all over the place, and the combat is ridiculously button mashy; mash X to win, rinse and repeat. Not to mention that the side quests are either fetch quests or kill x thing in x place. I plugged in a few hours before I threw in the towel and quit playing it.

I'll definitely be checking out the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow add-ons even if they are on the short side (and over 1GB!). 800 MSP was too much for it, so for 400 MSP, nobody can't go wrong. I got the game for 20 bucks any way, so I have nothing to lose.

The other deals are pretty o.k. but most people should already have those games (e.g. Symphony of the Night). I would recommend people check out X-Men for sure. I'm tempted to bite on Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (I played a little bit of the PS1 game but my bros hogged the hell out of that game and I have the Saturn one the form of Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for PSP)

Personally, I didn't like Torchlight and I bought it for 600 MSP when it was on sale so I would not recommend it. It has frame rate issues all over the place, and the combat is ridiculously button mashy; mash X to win, rinse and repeat. Not to mention that the side quests are either fetch quests or kill x thing in x place. I plugged in a few hours before I threw in the towel and quit playing it.

Yeah, Torchlight is really dull. You go do a few quests, then you get some new quests which are exactly the same quests but two floors lower in the dungeon. Then you do it again. And again. And again. It makes no effort at all to keep it interesting.

MadmanUK

Yeah, Torchlight is really dull. You go do a few quests, then you get some new quests which are exactly the same quests but two floors lower in the dungeon. Then you do it again. And again. And again. It makes no effort at all to keep it interesting.

I'd have to kinda agree, but i made the mistake on playing it on medium difficulty.
Play on hard as medium was a cakewalk, i never felt like i was anywhere near death and that ruined it for me.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The thing about Torchlight is that you have to make hurdles for yourself, because the game never tries.

Very Hard is the baseline. And after that, only pick 2 active talent abilities and stick with survivability passives, because it will get difficult and start to feel like a real game.

Aw, shit. The whole XBL disaster today means I have to start over on... Yeah, pretty much all of the games I bought today. That's really pretty crappy. :(

Choplifter is great though! Not really sure why you can choose to use a super-chopper to go for medals right off the bat starting from the first training mission, but whatever. Also, it has the best achievement ever created: "Make 100 goats faint." Am I right or am I right on that one?

The thing about Torchlight is that you have to make hurdles for yourself, because the game never tries.

Very Hard is the baseline. And after that, only pick 2 active talent abilities and stick with survivability passives, because it will get difficult and start to feel like a real game.
I don't really think any game should ever ask that of you. Games are supposed to be entertainment, especially that kind of game.

I accidentally retired my character in Torchlight and after that I removed the game from the hard disc. I was glad because I was spending too much time on it.

Misfits

Neo Member
i got some cheap points from game today, i spent 1600 of those points on hitman and i have 3200 left. which of the games should i download? i only have 2gb left in my download allowance after downloading hitman so i can't download all the trials.

Battle: Los Angeles - 400msp (was 800)
BurgerTime HD - 400msp (was 800)
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - 600msp (was 1200)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 400msp (was 800)
Hard Corps: Uprising - 600msp (was 1200)
Leedmees - 400msp (was 800)
Puddle - 400msp (was 800)
X-Men - 400msp (was 800)
Zombie Apocalypse - 400msp (was 800)
Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone - 400msp (was 800)

thanks! picked up torchlight, I love the pc version and I've been waiting for another sale so I could justify picking up the 360 version.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
With the 500 points i got from joining the Xbox rewards program i'm gonna get Castlevania: Symphony of the Night , man the timing couldn't be better :D Too bad the points don't get deposited until the 15.

Of those I can't tell you what you should buy. But I'd cross Battle: LA and both Zombie Apocalypse games off.
This is objective truth. Battle: LA is an utter joke (it's 30 minutes long, no hyperbole) and there are far better games in the genre than Zombie Apoc. Hell, there are tons of better indie twinsticks.

Hard Corps is fucking amazing if you like challenging side-scrolling action. Castlevania is good if you like Castlevania, probably not so much if you don't. Same thing with BurgerTime - only get it if you liked the original way back in the 80's. I thought Puddle was really cool and stylish, but it might be an acquired taste.

Xbox.com reveals Monster World compilation:
hzYRn.jpg

Bring peace back to Monster World in these three classic action RPG titles: Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy in Monster World, and for the first time outside of Japan, Monster World IV! Now available for download on Xbox LIVE, the Monster World saga features all new achievements, challenging new trial modes, Xbox LIVE Leaderboards, and recordable and downloadable game sessions!

ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE: 4/25/2012
DEVELOPER: M2
PUBLISHER: SEGA

screenlg10.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

screenlg1.jpg

The Walking Dead also has an Xbox marketplace page:

taTWH.jpg

Episode one of a five-part game series set in the same universe as Robert Kirkman’s award-winning series. Play as Lee Everett, a convicted criminal, who has been given a second chance at life in a world devastated by the undead. Experience events, meet people and visit locations that foreshadow the story of Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes. A tailored game experience – actions, choices and decisions you make will affect how your story plays out across the entire series. Additional episodes available as downloadable content.

ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE: 4/25/2012
DEVELOPER: Telltale Games
PUBLISHER: Telltale Games

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

Have to pick that up just for Wonder Boy in Monster World, was one of my favourite games growing up.

Edit: Nevermind, just seen the other thread.

PopfulMail

Too many games I'm looking forward to.

Updated list..

Today - 800 - Shoot Many Robots
Today - 1200 - Defenders of Ardania
March 21st - 1200 - Sine Mora
March 21st - ? - Rayman 3 HD
March 21st - ? - Dungeon Fighter Online
March 28th - ? - Kung Fu Strike
March 28th - ? - The Pinball Arcade
April 4th - 800 - Diabolical Pitch
April 11th - 800 - The Splatters
April 25th - ? - Monster World Compilation
April 25th - ? - The Walking Dead

Too many games I'm looking forward to.

Updated list..

Today - 800 - Shoot Many Robots
Today - 1200 - Defenders of Ardania
March 21st - 1200 - Sine Mora
March 21st - ? - Rayman 3 HD
March 21st - ? - Dungeon Fighter Online
March 28th - ? - Kung Fu Strike
March 28th - ? - The Pinball Arcade
April 4th - 800 - Diabolical Pitch
April 15th - 800 - The Splatters
April 25th - ? - Monster World Compilation
April 25th - ? - The Walking Dead

Just remember some of these Xbox.com dates could be wrong. Happened to Fez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom