• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox live credit card removal

desa

Holy shit. So I gave them a call just a minute ago to remove my credit card info. I used it to purchase a 12.50 for 4 months and those 1 dollar for a month within the last month. So the guy was like ok that's fine, no problem. Then he tried to offer me 40% for another year. Ok, standard shit. I declined and told him I'll think about that when the time comes. So he then tells me that when I remove my card for my file, I will no longer be an Xbox Gold member.

What??

So you mean to tell me those 9 months I paid for will be for nothing? I won't get a refund? If I remove my card and then proceed to log in tomorrow, I will be a silver member? WTF? How is this fucking right? He told me it was in the terms of agreement. Oh really? So I told him to take me to the specific paragraph that details this. He also gave me the page to look with him. I couldn't find it. After 10 minutes, he couldn't find it either but he assured me it was there. I told him I'll call back.

I've read many horror stories about removing your credit card but I have never heard anything like this. It's the reason why I even opted to use my card. Was this guy just fucking with me or is this really true?

Oh wow, now that I didn't know.

I almost want to call MS and just cancel my one year that's only two months old. That is fucking ridiculous.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The guy is lying through his teeth and trying to keep his performance at a decent level. Shame you didn't escalate the call and get his supervisor breathing down his neck.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lyphen said:
The guy is lying through his teeth and trying to keep his performance at a decent level. Shame you didn't escalate the call and get his supervisor breathing down his neck.

ayup.

ultron87

I feel like he was bullshitting you. If you turn auto-renewal off I thought you could remove the card. But then I don't know for sure.

As long as you have auto-renewal off is it really an issue?

desa

Lyphen said:

Yeah I figured, but aren't these calls monitored and recorded? How is this guy able to keep his job with bullshit like this.

LiK

Lyphen said:
This. That is some uber BS from the CS rep.

I recommend simply changing your CC info in your account to a fake number so renewals don't go through. It should work.

desa said:
Yeah I figured, but aren't these calls monitored and recorded? How is this guy able to keep his job with bullshit like this.
Because he is trained to do just that, bullshit you.

LiK said:
This. That is some uber BS from the CS rep.

I recommend simply changing your CC info in your account to a fake number so renewals don't go through. It should work.
You get banned for doing that, if they can't bill you they cancel your account fully after about 2 months of trying, then they ask you to pay for those bonus months.

Tobor

Having to call in the first place is absurd in 2011. Well, it was absurd in 2005 as well, now it's extra absurd.

brentech

When they say monitored it's usually a random check. Not every call can be listened to. If you want to raise shit, call back and try to get it corrected - or just call and directly ask for a supervisor to listen to your call around X time.

There is no way that policy is legit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tobor said:
Having to call in the first place is absurd in 2011. Well, it was absurd in 2005 as well, now it's extra absurd.

I was able to remove my CC online just a week or two ago, but I did it after adding my Paypal account.

Dunan

If these customer service phone operators are rewarded for getting people to extend their memberhsips, are they also penalized when people call and cancel?

That must be a truly miserable and stressful job.

FHIZ

It's literally easier to tell your card company your card was stolen and have THAT cancelled. Annoying, but true.

Majine

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I was able to remove my CC online just a week or two ago, but I did it after adding my Paypal account.
It all depends on where in the world you live I think. I can't, some can.

LiK

Diablohead said:
Because he is trained to do just that, bullshit you.

You get banned for doing that, if they can't bill you they cancel your account fully after about 2 months of trying, then they ask you to pay for those bonus months.
Oh really? That sucks. I guess just go Paypal.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Tobor said:
There was a brief period of time where I was doing a thing where I got paid an "hourly wage" check for going through a bunch of bullshit service signups, and I guarantee you that any and every online service (especially casual flash game portals and stuff like Real's Rhapsody music service) pulls this bullshit on you. You go to the cancellation page, and it requires that you call the damn customer service line, where they promptly offer all sorts of ways to try and keep you. Frankly, I think anyone who's frugal about subscriptions should make it a part of their routine to call CS to cancel whatever so that they get a better deal or free shit.

desa

Yeah, so I called again. What that lying fucker meant to say was I would get a prepaid code to redeem for the months I've paid for. I would be without access to xbox live gold for a couple of days until I receive the code. I just opted to have auto renewal off and remove my card later. It's just a phone call but what a hassle. Prepaid card from now on. Learned my lesson even if those dashboards were magnificent deals.

Tobor

Stumpokapow said:
But you can't turn off auto-renewal without calling in, right? I got the email about my account renewing and tried to do that last night, and could only find a phone number.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have never had problems removing my credit/debit cards from xbox.com. All you have to do is log into xbox.com, then go to: My Xbox > Account > Manage Payment Options

Press the remove button next to the card, then press the yes on the pop up and then BAM card removed.

Has it not been like this for ages? Because I have been able to remove and add my cards easily for months.

Curufinwe

In March I put in a preloaded card with $6.50 left on it to just to buy $5 worth of points, but I do have the option of removing it if I go to log in to the Xbox website and go to My Xbox -> Account -> Manage Payment Options.

I'm in America, and I've always just had Xbox Live Silver/Free.

Darklord

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Where do you do it online? I wanna check if I can. Such a mistake to use my card.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I had to threaten a MS call centre with my Solicitor in the end to get them to refund me money that they owed me and on top of that I had to cancel my CC becuase they kept billing me, I really don't get why it's so problematic trying to remove your CC from the Live service, I wonder if it's MS's fault or the call centre?

FHIZ said:
It's literally easier to tell your card company your card was stolen and have THAT cancelled. Annoying, but true.
You can't do that, they will try to bill the broken card then ban you from 100% of the online features until you pay them the months they tried to bill you for.

NEVER EVER use your card on xbox live :|

Label said:
I have never had problems removing my credit/debit cards from xbox.com. All you have to do is log into xbox.com, then go to: My Xbox > Account > Manage Payment Options

Press the remove button next to the card, then press the yes on the pop up and then BAM card removed.

Has it not been like this for ages? Because I have been able to remove and add my cards easily for months.
Different regions have different rules, not everyone can do that and get a page saying to phone up instead.

surly

Banned
joaomgcd said:
Can't you just remove the credit card on Xbox.com? I removed mine yesterday...
Yeah, you can, but not if you used that card to pay for an Xbox Live Gold sub and that sub has not expired and that's the situation the OP is in.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Darklord said:
Where do you do it online? I wanna check if I can. Such a mistake to use my card.

Label said:
All you have to do is log into xbox.com, then go to: My Xbox > Account > Manage Payment Options

Diablohead said:
Different regions have different rules, not everyone can do that and get a page saying to phone up instead.

Ah well that is fucking stupid, I guess that a benefit for living in the UK.

Xena

At least you can take your card off. I just called them, and for some weird reason, I can't until mine expires on the 9th of next month. Then I'll have to call back and ask to have it removed. They better not try to charge it (I did ask them to put on auto renew off) because that card is the one I already canceled due to PSN fiasco. From now on, I will never use credit cards again for those services, only pre-paid ones.

Yeah, I realized this too this week, when I cancelled my own auto-renew. Good thing my term's almost up, I'll just remove the card then and start working with pre-paid codes.

Darklord

Banned
Label said:
Ah well that is fucking stupid, I guess that a benefit for living in the UK.

This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Go to the Payment method information page to view services associated with this payment option. :|

lowrider007

surly said:
Yeah, you can, but not if you used that card to pay for an Xbox Live Gold sub and that sub has not expired and that's the situation the OP is in.

But if you can't remove the card while you have a active SUB then chances are your going to get re-billed again before you can remove the card and then once your re-billed you can't remove the card again, plus in the UK you don't even have an online option to turn off auto-renew so you have to rely on the call centre and twice they billed me after I rang up to cancel the auto-renew, it really is madness.

bengraven

Can't you just add a prepaid card? The time stacks, so get a one-month card (or even a free 48 hour card) and use that.

desa

SteelAttack said:
Hmm. Now I want to give them a call to get a discount for my next year. I'm going to act extremely pissed off.

It should work. It wasn't that long until he shot me with that discount to keep my CC info.

LiK

HMmm, I just checked my account and Auto-Renewal is back ON. I swear after the intial Xbox.com redesign, they allowed me to turn it off in my account.

Now I see it's ON again and there's this message in the site at the bottom of the Manage Accounts page.

"Account Help or Cancellation
To cancel your Xbox LIVE membership or to change your auto renewal status, please call Xbox Support. "

What a hassle. People can't simply decide to turn off auto-renewal on their own?

desa

LiK said:
HMmm, I just checked my account and Auto-Renewal is back ON. I swear after the intial Xbox.com redesign, they allowed me to turn it off in my account.

Now I see it's ON again and there's this message in the site at the bottom of the Manage Accounts page.

To cancel your Xbox LIVE membership or to change your auto renewal status, please call Xbox Support. "

What a hassle. People can't simply decide to turn off auto-renewal on their own?

If I remember correctly, when the did some changes to the website, everyone's auto renewal was turned back on.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Darklord said:
This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Go to the Payment method information page to view services associated with this payment option. :|

Haha holy shit, what a cluster-fuck..

bengraven

LiK said:

I know, I said it in the other thread about how they kept turning it back on for me.

So why is the option on the website if you need to call and get it "truly" changed?

Curufinwe

lowrider007 said:
But if you can't remove the card while you have a active SUB then chances are your going to get re-billed again before you can remove the card and then once your re-billed you can't remove the card again, plus in the UK you don't even have an online option to turn off auto-renew so you have to rely on the call centre and twice they billed me after I rang up to cancel the auto-renew, it really is madness.

Has the BBC show Watchdog ever done a story about this stuff?

lowrider007

Curufinwe said:
Has the BBC show Watchdog ever done a story about this stuff?

No I don't think so, actually I think I'm going to email them, I'd also suggest other UK based consumers on here to do the same.

surly

Banned
lowrider007 said:
But if you can't remove the card while you have a active SUB then chances are your going to get re-billed again before you can remove the card.....
No, cos you call up and cancel the auto-renewal first. Or you can just redeem a pre-paid card before your sub expires as you can stack up to 3 years of Live. Then once the time period that you'd paid for using the credit/debit card has ended, you can remove the card through Xbox.com.

Top Bottom