• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox live credit card removal

desa

bloodydrake said:
they lied call back and tell them your going to use the gold live 12month cards from now on and you want the credit card removed from the account due to it being cancelled.

I dealt with the exact samething and once I explained that I would be using point cards and 12month gold cards instead they backed off and removed the credit card..tho they said I'd lose the remainder of my gold access I was fine with that.

You shouldn't lose any of your gold months/access though. They should send you a prepaid card/code for the remainder of the months you bought. I wonder how many of these fuckers have been lying about this.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
fernoca said:
Yep, either the rep lied, or the OP misunderstood him,

They explicitly told me I'd lose remainder of my gold access. I'm not sure if its true since I Never tried to play online between that time and the expiry date of one year.

desa

bloodydrake said:
They explicitly told me I'd lose remainder of my gold access. I'm not sure if its true since I Never tried to play online between that time and the expiry date of one year.

Read my opening post. They said (lied) the same thing to me. I called later and confirmed that wasn't true.

fernoca

Yep. If they charged you already for the months you won't lose them, neither go back to Silver.

If they haven't charged for any pending offers, then they might just cancel that one pending, but not the current ones. For example, if they haven't charged yet for the $1-month offer; then you'll lose that since they haven't charged for that one yet.

And the rare cases they do cancel subscriptions for a mistake or something ,they send you codes with either points or months, that you can manually enter and reactivate the subscription.

ultron87

Guys, even if you get the card "out of their system" they still are going to have some record of it in the system.

https://billing.microsoft.com/helppane.aspx?helppagename=BILLING_CONC_AboutPaymentMethodStatus
Removed
The payment method has been removed from your account and the payment method is listed for historical purposes.

So just turn off auto-renewal and deal with it.

Your credit card number is going to be stored in some form somewhere at plenty of other companies besides Microsoft. That's just the reality of doing business with a credit card.

zychi

Banned
Not sure how many of you are aware of it, but the easy way to remove your credit card imo is to go to the zune.net website and remove it through there. It's setup similar to xbox.com, but it lets you remove the cards without any hassle.

zychi said:
Not sure how many of you are aware of it, but the easy way to remove your credit card imo is to go to the zune.net website and remove it through there. It's setup similar to xbox.com, but it lets you remove the cards without any hassle.

Just tried and it wouldn't let me.

fernoca

zychi said:
It's similar though. If the card is tied to a Zune Pass subscription, you can't remove it..even if the subscription is not active.

I had the same problem in January, I didn't want my CC info on their website anymore due to some horror stories over at the xbox.com forums. fortunately I called right on the cusp of a new billing cycle and was downgraded to silver with 0 months left on my account.

this stuff truly is bullshit on MS' behalf. banning people for lapsed CC isn't helping them at all, why piss off your customers? it should just revert back to silver accounts when the CC info expires or the bank puts a stop order on renewals.

they should take some notes from Blizzard, it's easy to stop subbing. in addition you get to use the time you paid for. much easier to resub knowing your not getting fucked over.

zychi

Banned
OdysseusVA said:
Just tried and it wouldn't let me.
You're doing something wrong then, because I literally just did it. Go to zune.com, login with your xbox.com account info, click your name, my account, and add/manage credit cards. Delete, it'll ask you to put a new card in, but you don't have to.

Go to xbox.com, try to buy something, your card should be gone.

Prologue

zychi said:
You're doing something wrong then, because I literally just did it. Go to zune.com, login with your xbox.com account info, click your name, my account, and add/manage credit cards. Delete, it'll ask you to put a new card in, but you don't have to.

Couldn't do it either. I do pay month by month tho if that matters.

zychi said:

It's a simple process, so I am not doing anything wrong. It gives me a message stating that the card cannot be removed.

lockload

If you have auto renewal ON you can remove cards but you must always have at least 1 on the account which makes sense because it will auto renew

If you turn auto renewal OFF (which could be done on xbox.com before the latest redesign) you should be able to remove your card, sometimes it seem that if you have an active subscription that was paid on the card you cannot remove it until that subscription ends

In my case i used a prepaid card as my active sub and could remove my card

Can anyone answer my question about what happens when your card expires if you have turned off auto-renew?

Do they start bullying you into putting a valid card on their system? Does that expired card remain on the marketplace or does it dissappear?

For the ppl that know thx.

Quixzlizx said:
You are already charged.
this.

FrancisH

Tried the Zune method as posted above but it didn't work for me. Calling them now to get it sorted out before I forget and leave it too late. 8 mins waiting time.

lockload

CadetMahoney said:
Can anyone answer my question about what happens when your card expires if you have turned off auto-renew?

Do they start bullying you into putting a valid card on their system? Does that expired card remain on the marketplace or does it dissappear?

this.

If auto renewal is OFF nothing happens it will go to silver (im in this position right now), if auto renew is ON then basically the renewal happens but it has not been paid so after two month you owe MS money so they ban the id

The the moral of the story is turn auto renewal OFF

Once you are silver you can remove the card through xbox.com

EDIT: Just removed my card on xbox.com this second worked fine

How do you turn auto-renewal OFF?

If you only have one card on file, and it's defaulted to ON, from what I am seeing you can't change it unless you call MS.

FrancisH

captmcblack said:

If you only have one card on file, and it's defaulted to ON, from what I am seeing you can't change it unless you call MS.

I emailed them about this and they said only by calling can you change it. Not sure about multiple cards though. (UK)

fernoca

zychi said:

f9UhN.png

CadetMahoney said:

Yep. They start sending emails, the card remains in the billing.microsoft.com. I remember that my (old) account was closed too for that...Was able to reactivate it again, when the "NXE" was released. ;p

captmcblack said:

If there's only one credit card attached and you've used that card to buy Gold, you can't turn-off auto renewal.

You''ll only have a message telling to you contact support (by phone).

kBhCn.png

lockload

captmcblack said:

Yeh call them its a free call, in the last version of xbox.com you could do it online but not anymore

@fernoca The only resean you account would be closed is if you have auto renewal ON and the card was invalid, if auto renew is OFF it doesnt matter and it wil go silver

Basically if you owe MS money they will cut you off not really suprising

fernoca

lockload said:
@fernoca The only resean you account would be closed is if you have auto renewal ON and the card was invalid, if auto renew is OFF it doesnt matter and it wil go silver

Basically if you owe MS money they will cut you off not really suprising
Back then, it wasn't (from what I was told). Which is why they told me to create a new account (I was going to anyway :p). Some glitch or something back then, that was solved (to many) when the NXE was released and how we could all sign-in again with old accounts, since the accounts were reverted to Silver with that update.

FrancisH

All sorted, card is removed/being removed.

I had 7 months of Gold left so they are going to email me that time in codes which will take 5 days since they are short on 1 month codes which is fine by me. Didn't take too long, no hassle just asking the basic security questions, quick reason why to not remove it (Loyalty program is happening, removing card sets your time loyalty back to 0 apparently, ie for things like 33% off 12 months sub which is what tempted me to buy in the first place.) and it was all done.

As someone said before your account goes back to Sliver and they send you the remaining time via codes.

clo1_2000

Banned
desa said:
Yeah I figured, but aren't these calls monitored and recorded? How is this guy able to keep his job with bullshit like this.

As a Director of Customer Support, I can tell you that at best 5% of the calls are screened when doing Quality Checks.

Jackl

Prepaid.

Accept no substitutes.

MS sometimes acts like a shady infomercial service. Weird charges, bullshit policies, and really really bad customer service loops.

So only pre-paid from me ever since I had to twist arms to get my expired CC off .

Edit: Finally. Image host have gotten silly.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
captmcblack said:

You have to call M$ customer service. It was a fucking pain in the ass to have my CC# removed, but thank God I did. From now on it's all prepurchased Xbox Live membership & MS points cards for me.

Hey You

Label said:
I have never had problems removing my credit/debit cards from xbox.com. All you have to do is log into xbox.com, then go to: My Xbox > Account > Manage Payment Options

Press the remove button next to the card, then press the yes on the pop up and then BAM card removed.

Has it not been like this for ages? Because I have been able to remove and add my cards easily for months.
I'm pretty sure to do it via the website, you have to have another payment source attached to the account.

Edit: Yeah, since I have paypal now, I just clicked remove on the credit card attached to my account.

thetechkid

So I'm gonna ask again because I got no response last time, what happens if you get a gift card with the exact amount of money for one of those deals for live on the Xbox? Will it work?

bangai-o

Banned
zychi said:
false. Zune.net pulls the same crap.

fernoca said:
Yep. They start sending emails, the card remains in the billing.microsoft.com. I remember that my (old) account was closed too for that...Was able to reactivate it again, when the "NXE" was released. ;p

Just curious. What happens if you don't put a valid card on their system despite being a free Silver member who has turned off auto-renewal.

Also what happens if your a gold member who has turned off auto-renewal and the card reaches it's expiry date. What happens if they ask you to put a valid card on the system and you don't.

It's kind of funny. I have an expired card from 2009 on the account. I thought they wouldn't be able to do anything once my Xbox Live ran out. They sent me emails mentioning that it was expired and to change it but I didn't. So what does Microsoft do? Charges my bank account directly for another year of Xbox Live. When I go to remove the card on the website it says there is a problem and to follow a link. The link goes to page that doesn't exist.

So if I use add my Paypal to my account then remove my current CC#, is there any way to block it so MS can't charge me through paypal? I'd like to just stick to pre-paid but don't want to fucking call these chumps.

darthbob

Just in case anyone doesn't know, in order to remove the CC from your account, the sub needs to be cancelled and you'll get a 'replacement' token from a call back or email.

Sucks, but oh well. Turning off auto renewal does nothing to allow for the CC to be removed either.

P90

I lost 15 months of gold due to the same system. The rep on the phone didn't tell me that was gonna happen. I had taken advantage of amazon's xbl gold voucher cards for like $25 each. It isn't worth my time and aggravation to contest it for hours with xbl customer service for, effectively, $30. I just made a note that the next 360 game I get an impulse for, iwill pass up on it and be ahead, overall. Like no Catherine or dragon age 2. Atlus and ea can get further than I can with ms.

darthbob

P90 said:
I lost 15 months of gold due to the same system. The rep on the phone didn't tell me that was gonna happen. I had taken advantage of amazon's xbl gold voucher cards for like $25 each. It isn't worth my time and aggravation to contest it for hours with xbl customer service for, effectively, $30. I just made a note that the next 360 game I get an impulse for, iwill pass up on it and be ahead, overall. Like no Catherine or dragon age 2. Atlus and ea can get further than I can with ms.

That sucks.

Did they ever take down any contact information or anything? They're supposed to 'escalate' it to some Billing/Tier 3 thing.

DanielJr82

I used to have a card on file with them on the original Xbox. Never again; I learned from that experience. The fact that I have to call and not be able to do it online should've been a hint at their shady practices. I have absolutely NO CARDS on file with anybody anymore, it's all prepaid cards now.

RustyO

captmcblack said:

I gave up trying to figure out / contact someone, so just constantly spammed them a few times a day for a week or so, eventually someone got the message and turned it off on mine.

If I was to ever get Gold again (not very likely) then I'd only ever do prepay.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess at best, and shady business practices at worst.

bangai-o

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
It's kind of funny. I have an expired card from 2009 on the account. I thought they wouldn't be able to do anything once my Xbox Live ran out. They sent me emails mentioning that it was expired and to change it but I didn't. So what does Microsoft do? Charges my bank account directly for another year of Xbox Live. When I go to remove the card on the website it says there is a problem and to follow a link. The link goes to page that doesn't exist.
ya, mine is from a cc that i had closed because of the psn hack. 3 weeks later i get an email from my identity theft that i am getting suspicious activity.
I am figuring it is Microsoft whom could not charge the card and decides to attack my credit score.
If they cannot charge for the premium service, than cancel the premium service. I dont understand why that is so hard for Microsoft to understand.

malfcn

Found another page:

To remove a payment option

Go to www.xbox.com/accounts and sign in with your Windows Live ID.
Select Manage Payment Options.
Select the payment option you want to remove, and then click Remove.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

The payment option will no longer appear on your Xbox 360 console or your account on Xbox.com. However, for historical reference, the payment option will remain visible with a Removed status on http://billing.microsoft.com. After a payment option has been removed, it may be used again by re-adding it to your account.

Note You cannot remove a credit card that is associated with an active Xbox LIVE subscription. When you try to remove the credit card, you will see the following error:
This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Please contact Xbox LIVE Customer Support.
Before you can remove your credit card, you need to do one of the following:

Add a new payment option to your Xbox LIVE Gold account.
Cancel your Xbox LIVE Gold subscription.
You can do this by contacting Xbox support or by turning off auto-renewal on your Xbox LIVE Gold membership and waiting for the membership to expire.

Once you’ve done one of these two things, you can remove the credit card.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934510

Pumpkins

A Redditor found a way to cancel auto-renewal without calling Microsoft: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/hm19n/how_to_cancel_xbox_live_auto_renew_without/

Just_A_Dinosaur said:
First off, thanks to eltacodeldiablo for pointing me in the right direction. A few days ago there was a deal to get 5 months of Xbox live for $5 which is all well and good except that it turned on automatic renewal for your account which is a pain to turn off. As it turns out, Illinois passed a law that requires internet gaming service providers to have an online method to cancel the service. So here are the steps to turn off auto renewal for Xbox live:

Go to the account page
Go to Billing Account Information and change the address to somewhere in Illinois
Back on the account page, go to Manage Payment Options
Edit the credit card's billing info to be somewhere in Chicago
Back on the account page, click Upgrade/Manage Account
Under your avatar where it says Automatic Renewal: On, the On should be a link, click it.
You are going to have to click next quite a few times but eventually it will give you the option to turn auto renewal off.
Profit

It takes a few minutes, but is far less painful than calling support and having them potentially cancel your account instead of turning off auto renewal.

I tried it and it worked (doesn't bump you down to silver either, you keep the amount of service you paid for until the expiration date... Like you should). Apparently it only works in the US.

Also be sure not to use a prepaid card before the subscription expires. Let it expire completely. It says if you use a prepaid card before the expiration, it'll turn auto-renewal back on. You guys aren't kidding when you say death grip.

Unfortunately still can't remove my payment option yet, but I'm guessing it will let me when my subscription expires fully (since my active subscription is currently tied to the card I used).

Pumpkins said:
Also be sure not to use a prepaid card before the subscription expires. Let it expire completely. It says if you use a prepaid card before the expiration, it'll turn auto-renewal back on. You guys aren't kidding when you say death grip.
That is fucked.

I'm just thinking, someone goes through the trouble of phoning them and giving some explanation, listening to their plugs and it still using pre-paid cards reverses auto-renew off.

Zeal

Banned
Shit like this needs to be brought into the light, circulated, and exposed.

Even this new policy of having to call to cancel auto renewal is a complete scam.

Top Bottom