• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox live credit card removal

Suairyu

Banned
Seriously, everyone being told that you'll lose membership months already being paid for: that is illegal.

You paid for a product so now they are legally bound to provide you with that product, no matter what the terms of service say - terms of service cannot be used as exemption by companies to break the law.

Pumpkins said:
A Redditor found a way to cancel auto-renewal without calling Microsoft: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/hm19n/how_to_cancel_xbox_live_auto_renew_without/

I tried it and it worked (doesn't bump you down to silver either, you keep the amount of service you paid for until the expiration date... Like you should). Apparently it only works in the US.

Also be sure not to use a prepaid card before the subscription expires. Let it expire completely. It says if you use a prepaid card before the expiration, it'll turn auto-renewal back on. You guys aren't kidding when you say death grip.

Unfortunately still can't remove my payment option yet, but I'm guessing it will let me when my subscription expires fully (since my active subscription is currently tied to the card I used).

Awesome, did it, fuck this shit. If I want to renew I will just get the prepaid cards from now on.

malfcn

Their ToS says you forfeit Gold status if remove credit card.

Do they have a ToS that tells you that before purchasing?
I don't remember. Because that would be quite the trap.

P90

darthbob said:
That sucks.

Did they ever take down any contact information or anything? They're supposed to 'escalate' it to some Billing/Tier 3 thing.

Not that I know of. :/

malfcn said:
Their ToS says you forfeit Gold status if remove credit card.

Do they have a ToS that tells you that before purchasing?
I don't remember. Because that would be quite the trap.

I don't see where that is stated. Which part are you reading from the ToS?

Pumpkins said:
A Redditor found a way to cancel auto-renewal without calling Microsoft: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/hm19n/how_to_cancel_xbox_live_auto_renew_without/

I tried it and it worked (doesn't bump you down to silver either, you keep the amount of service you paid for until the expiration date... Like you should). Apparently it only works in the US.

Also be sure not to use a prepaid card before the subscription expires. Let it expire completely. It says if you use a prepaid card before the expiration, it'll turn auto-renewal back on. You guys aren't kidding when you say death grip.

Unfortunately still can't remove my payment option yet, but I'm guessing it will let me when my subscription expires fully (since my active subscription is currently tied to the card I used).

I am getting an error message when I tried to turn off auto-renewal.

Though, I just realized the primary card was canceled and reactivated because of something my mother did.

Dynedom

My friend removed his CC from his account after he bought a discounted XBL subscription with it and they cancelled his Live. He called back and gave them hell and they simply restored it.

Solution: Call and give hell.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
If i ever get my hands on a 360 i'm going prepaid all the way but i'm curious about something, what if you only want to use your credit card to buy MS points? Does MS gives you trouble if you want to remove your card later on?

P90

Gexecuter said:
If i ever get my hands on a 360 i'm going prepaid all the way but i'm curious about something, what if you only want to use your credit card to buy MS points? Does MS gives you trouble if you want to remove your card later on?

From my experience, don't tempt the fickle finger of fate as meted out by ms.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I removed my credit card info without it ending my gold membership. They told me that it would not renew again which is what I wanted. It took an hour to get them to do it though.

matmanx1

Mwahaha I just used the Illinois trick to turn off my auto renewal. I grabbed the 3 month 12.49 deal they had going a couple of weeks back but I absolutely detest dealing with them over auto renewal and removal of CC info. Great trick!

BattleMonkey said:
Awesome, did it, fuck this shit. If I want to renew I will just get the prepaid cards from now on.

Same here, fuck. Quite a weight off my shoulders. Almost missed it and would have been charged. Can't believe they are allowed to do this...Bless the Illinois trick.

Now I'm curious if they will discover this and find a loophole?

Fuck them.

Ballistik

I have a question.. although I sort of understand in certain situations where you guys wouldn't want Microsoft to hold YOUR credit card information, what is really bad about it? I acknowledge Microsoft is being dirty by making it impossible to remove, but still, it's not like the card is going to start getting charged for no reason.

I do have mine on there, but auto-renewal is off so I don't see why I would be desperate to remove my credit card.

P90

Ballistik said:
I have a question.. although I sort of understand in certain situations where you guys wouldn't want Microsoft to hold YOUR credit card information, what is really bad about it? I acknowledge Microsoft is being dirty by making it impossible to remove, but still, it's not like the card is going to start getting charged for no reason.

I do have mine on there, but auto-renewal is off so I don't see why I would be desperate to remove my credit card.

I couldn't get auto- renewal off independently. Igot a message I had to call ms. Then i got unwittingly screwed over.

Ballistik

P90 said:
I couldn't get auto- renewal off independently. Igot a message I had to call ms. Then i got unwittingly screwed over.

:/ That's really odd how you guys can't even do that anymore, I was able to do it online a couple of months ago just fine and my card IS tied to my gold subscription which expires in two months.

P90

Ballistik said:
:/ That's really odd how you guys can't even do that anymore, I was able to do it online a couple of months ago just fine and my card IS tied to my gold subscription which expires in two months.

After the psn incident, i decided to get my cc info off of xbl for safety's sake. Then the poop slid down the hill...

Shadow780

Pumpkins said:

Sweet, thanks!

fernoca

Yep, the Reddit info worked 100%.
Just received the confirmation e-mail:
Your subscription to Gold – 50% off 3 Months will expire on Wednesday, August 31, 2011. To avoid a possible interruption of your subscription service, please renew your subscription by Wednesday, August 31, 2011.
So, no need to worry about waking up tomorrow to find out I'm Silver..or something. :p

mandiller

If I pay for MS points using my paypal account will they attach my paypal account to my Xbox account and do an auto-renewal of Live all the time?

I have so far managed to keep my credit card off live because its so ridiculous. I hope paypal isn't treated the same way because I'd like to use something other than points cards.

I do find it weird that after logging into live, saying no to the questing asking me if I want to renew my subscription, it says on the site that auto renewal is back on.

Cruzader

Banned
I added my CC on GFW and could never find a place to remove it, anyone know what I can do? Now that the site is mixed with Xbox.com, I should be able to?

Top Bottom