• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - July 2012 and onwards

celsowmbr

Banned
I don't know if this the best topic to ask this, but what XBOX INDIES games for four players (local) do you recommend me?

OnPoint

I don't know if this the best topic to ask this, but what XBOX INDIES games for four players (local) do you recommend me?

Yup.

The best XBLIG multiplayer game ever: Hidden in Plain Sight.

xboxboxart.jpg

Hidden in Plain Sight is a tense game of subtlety and intrigue... try out what some are calling the best local multiplayer game to hit the Xbox Indie platform!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Hidden-in-Plain-Sight/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585509e7

celsowmbr

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try all games! I.
if anyone else can suggest other games, I still accept suggestions for 4 players local indies games

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try all games! I.
if anyone else can suggest other games, I still accept suggestions for 4 players local indies games

Chu's Dynasty is a pretty solid Smash-A-Like:

Ninja War: Stole Scrolls is like a $1 version of Castle Crashers... take that as you will!

Never got into Kobold Quest much, but it might be worth a try:

Our Trivia or Die and Trivia or Die: Movie Edition games are four players. Hypership Out of Control is a fun four player game too (the original runs better for some odd reason with four players than the semi-sequel does).

Our game Nasty is four players as well. Some people like it but it's flawed (it was our first release).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
xboxboxart.jpg

400 points... sheesh. Well, it's a quality release at least.

Hasn't been a bad XBLIG week, really.

WOHOO! Yeah, if it has all the content that is has in the Steam Version, additionally funded by it's crowdfunding stuff, then that's a STEAL. One of the few things on XBLIG I'll not hesitate buying at a "high" price.

Glad to see it made it out! I thought they'd forget about it, which was pretty disappointing, as I haven't heard ANYONE say a thing about it since it released on Steam (except for the Adult Swim Commericials for it...)

I think I'll get a lot more fun, and quality out of THIS, than the money I spent on Cloudberry Kingdom...
(thankfully on PSN, so all the discounts bring it to 6.50 or so for me in the end... which is probably more money than the quality and fun I'll personally feel from it :/)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, Ok, I purchased Fist Puncher!

From what's been said, it has all the content of the Steam Release, except Robot Unicorn, as he's steam Exclusive.

The game itself is fun, but lets get an issue our of the way, first.

It loads CLUNKY. The first load is fine, but after that, everything loads as if what you're seeing on screen is being shown to you before you should be able to interact / move any of it. This happens during saving, stage loading, switching options on the level-up screen, cinematic loads... it's a mess.

It's not gamebreaking, but it's a small bit frustrating, especially in stages where enemies run up and attack you immediately.

HOPEFULLY, THIS WILL BE PATCHED. I've seen little talk about the game so far though, so I hope they know!

BUT, if you can deal with that, you have a very solid Indie BEU on your hands, especially for a measly 5 bucks. There hasn't been an XBLIG BEU as fun as this since "Streets of Fury", and this is probably more polished, game-wise...

I've only unlocked 3 characters, have played 2P local throughout all of that, and have only played 3 of the 7 myself. They seem to all vary nicely, with unique special moves, their own intro videos, and personal stat bias.

One thing I'm a bit "meh" about, control wise, is that actions have an odd queue to them, and tapping X twice produces something like a 5 hit combo. The first punch is 1 to 1, but the second press starts a hit flurry. You can cancel into grapples, jumps, dodges, and kicks at any time, so it's not horrible, but if, along with the overly-long action queue, makes you feel out-of-control at times, which isn't something you want to happen in a BEU.

Even though it's very River City-inspired, I have to say, I think the game has a strong, personal vibe, that's a good mix of retro and original. Grapples are actually important (so many modern BEU's lessen their significance), gameplay has it's own rhythm (A few parts from "punch and grapple" double dragon, mixed with a few parts Flying Warriors style "DIVEKICKS FOR THE WIN!", with a helping of TMNT punch-sponge boss battles, but with the dodges and movability of Dishwasher?!?), and the item catalog & special abilities list are well fleshed out, along with the achievement-like Trading card system, and stat-tracking.

There's also a lot of stage-variety, even early on. From Dojo's to Biker Bars, graveyards and Yachts. Even on-truck-back fights similar to Game Gear Shinobi, or Bike Riding Stages like Battletoads / Streets of Rage Remake. And a lot of this comes with their own enemies remixes, keeping things surprisingly fresh. (I hear some of the Kickstarter-added characters even got their own custom stages with unique enemy types...)

I hope to see it patched to improve performance, but beyond that, I quite look forward to getting back to it, and exploring it even more!

moai

So what's the best fps avatar game?
Some of them look fun and at 1 usd it can't hurt. Any recomendations?

Tikipod

Neo Member
Hi - if anyone is looking for a solid shooter, we are having a summer sale for Aqua Kitty at the moment on XBLIG - reduced to 80 points:

summersale_xblig.png

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hi - if anyone is looking for a solid shooter, we are having a summer sale for Aqua Kitty at the moment on XBLIG - reduced to 80 points:

summersale_xblig.png

The perfect excuse for me to double dip (have on PSM too!) Thanks for letting us know! Added 2 Player was reason enough to get at 240, but been low on points, thanks to SOA, DLC, and gaming between multiple systems.

How long is the sale suppose to last, btw?

summersale_xblig.png

Definitely buying this when I get home. Crazy, this will make the fourth indie title I've picked up in the last month after I had totally given up on XBLIG.

Tikipod

Neo Member
The perfect excuse for me to double dip (have on PSM too!) Thanks for letting us know! Added 2 Player was reason enough to get at 240, but been low on points, thanks to SOA, DLC, and gaming between multiple systems.

How long is the sale suppose to last, btw?

Hi, there is a fair bit new on the Xbox version:
New optional easy mode campaign.
2 player optional local coop.
New enemies added.
Some new levels and plants/scenery added to all levels.

Its been quite hard to get press attention for the game, I think most don't touch XBLIG :/
However the few reviews we do get are good, which makes it all the more frustrating.

So thank you very much for buying the game! The sale is currently planned to last till the end of August.

We also have the game on Greenlight - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93326437

Tried to purchase Aqua Kitty but can't - just goes to a white screen in the marketplace when I pick the purchase option. Thought maybe it was because I am in the dashboard beta but it's not happening for other indie games.

Tikipod

Neo Member
Tried to purchase Aqua Kitty but can't - just goes to a white screen in the marketplace when I pick the purchase option. Thought maybe it was because I am in the dashboard beta but it's not happening for other indie games.

Hi - thats worrying to hear.
Are you trying to buy from within the game when its running - or direct from the dashboard?

EDIT - i asked on the xna creators forums, and apparently its a known issue with the "(November) dashboard update beta" - and they advise trying to report it as a BETA bug to be be fixed.

EDIT2 - Someone else had the same problem, they tried on US and JAPAN accounts to try to buy the game with no luck - so I brought up the problem with xboxsupport.
Not sure if they did anything to fix it or not, but the other person who couldnt buy the game now is able - so hopefully its fixed for you too.
Let me know if it isn't and I can look into hassling xbox support again - thanks!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think it bears Mention that Downtown Smash Dodgeball / ダウンタウン激凸ドッジボール! has FINALLY received a 50% price-cut to $4.99 / 400 MSP.

xboxboxart.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen4.jpg

Remember that it's actually made by the developers of the NES Super Dodge Ball / 熱血高校ドッジボール部, so it's quite the quality product:) I always wanted to get this, but $10 was just a bit too much compared to so many other XBL games and content. but $4.99 is perfect for a game with the original devs behind it!

Wasn't there some controversy when that came out? I really can't remember the details now :/

Wasn't the drama centered on the fact that it was priced at ten dollars? At five, it's a good deal if you like your dodgeball styled after the old 8-bit games. Wish they would have followed up with a spiritual Renegade remake.

OnPoint

How long do you guys think before people stop making games for XBLIG?

Also, what happens when we can no longer check in with Live... can we still play our games?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Been working on something for a bit, I will release it for free soon:

http://i.imgur.com/yzR6UA4.png

http://i.imgur.com/omDgJQC.png

Very cool to hear, I got a free code for the original on GAF a long time ago and I'm really glad that a lot of the XBLIG that I own are making PC ports available. Even if you don't release it for free, you might try getting it put in a PC bundle--even one of the lower end bundles might get you a couple hundred bucks.

Very cool to hear, I got a free code for the original on GAF a long time ago and I'm really glad that a lot of the XBLIG that I own are making PC ports available. Even if you don't release it for free, you might try getting it put in a PC bundle--even one of the lower end bundles might get you a couple hundred bucks.

Eh I don't think I am going to bother. I was going to throw it up on the web too.

http://i.imgur.com/oX4jpft.png

OnPoint

Hi all,
My game, Killer Crypt, was released on XBLIG earlier this month (but patched to fix a bug earlier this week).

Its a 2D platformer that is a little Castlevania and a little Mario. Check it out.

Box:
webboxart.jpg

Killer Crypt Marketplace link

Youtube gameplay link

Also, if anyone is interested, I can provide cheats to add lives, hearts, and skip levels.

I'm going to give this a shot soon, looks like it could be fun. I will say, based on the video, that the sound effects (the coin in particular) seem loud and jarring.

jumper

I'm going to give this a shot soon, looks like it could be fun. I will say, based on the video, that the sound effects (the coin in particular) seem loud and jarring.

Cool, definitely post your impressions.

Also, one piece of advice (because I've seen a couple of people struggle with this on youtube) - spiders can be jumped on (to kill them). :)

wwm0nkey

Avatar Legends 2360 from BarkersCrest is out and looks fantastic!

Also speaking of BarkersCrest his account here messed up and can't reset his password, so if a mod reads this please help.

OnPoint

Jumper, I tried your game out. I actually found it to be a good first effort. The controls feel really solid, which is a HUGE undertaking on XBLIG for most devs, based on what I've played. I'm not honestly huge on the level design itself, it feels a little... I think unfocused is the word I want... it reminds me of what I would expect from a DOS platformer back in the day. However, keep it up! I like the path you're on.

I think it bears Mention that Downtown Smash Dodgeball / ダウンタウン激凸ドッジボール! has FINALLY received a 50% price-cut to $4.99 / 400 MSP.

xboxboxart.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen4.jpg

Remember that it's actually made by the developers of the NES Super Dodge Ball / 熱血高校ドッジボール部, so it's quite the quality product:) I always wanted to get this, but $10 was just a bit too much compared to so many other XBL games and content. but $4.99 is perfect for a game with the original devs behind it!

This reminds me (I think it's different devs though), but I would so buy a Super Spike V'Ball remake with online play.

jumper

Jumper, I tried your game out. I actually found it to be a good first effort. The controls feel really solid, which is a HUGE undertaking on XBLIG for most devs, based on what I've played. I'm not honestly huge on the level design itself, it feels a little... I think unfocused is the word I want... it reminds me of what I would expect from a DOS platformer back in the day. However, keep it up! I like the path you're on.

I know what you mean about the level design feeling unfocused. This is especially true for the first stage, where you have some branching paths, and optional rooms to enter. As I went along, I made subsequent stages are more linear, which I think worked better as a result. (Except for stage 5 which is intentionally maze-like, but also not my favorite for that reason)

Originally I wanted the game to have a big exploration element to it, with secrets to find, etc., but ultimately what worked are just the parts focused on timing, jumps, etc. (i.e. challenges). Which is why I also think the 6th (last) stage, while the most linear (and also the hardest), works the best. (If you want to easily check out what I mean - you can use the skip level cheat (on gamefaqs.com))

In hindsight, I think it would have been worth re-designing stage 1 considering its the introductory stage that is also the weakest stage in the game.

Btw, thanks for checking it out.

OnPoint

*stuff*

Btw, thanks for checking it out.

Sounds like you have a good handle on what direction you might want to take your next game :)

I'm always willing to check people's games out. I hope the fine people in this thread check out mine, which should see a release in under a month.

Top Bottom