• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The April 2011 Thread

2FsBn.gif

Not the best month, really. Dream.Build.Play is around the corner and everyone seems to either have a game they’re holding back for it, or they’re working very hard on getting something ready. That said, there have still been some great titles. It’s mainly been a month of conflict and stupidity. Mostly from FortressCraft’s PR person, but also with the whole ongoing situation with XBLIG ratings being abused. A huge problem, because the Top Rated list is the one place on the dashboard that really seems to drive sales.

You can buy any of these games via xbox.com by clicking the link associated with each game, or on the Games Marketplace on your Xbox 360. Simply enter the marketplace and scroll up to Indie Games, where you can check the top rated titles, the games that have just come out, or “browse” to find the games mentioned in this thread. Indie Game trials last eight minutes, which is often enough to establish what you think about it. Even if you don’t buy any of these games, at least trial them, tell people what you think, get more people trying them.

Go. Play. Enjoy. Tell us what you think! Tell all your friends! Get them to tell all their friends…

(Xbox LIVE Indie Games are available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States. If you’re outside those countries you can still play these games by setting up a Gamertag for free for one of those countries. It’s worth doing.)

eknpv.jpg

The Gold award, for the absolute best game that came out last month.

Solve It - Pack 1 is 30 levels of puzzling bliss, which is probably most closely related to Chu Chu Rocket. Chu Chu Rocket and someone asking you directions to the shops.

NZt2e.jpg

You’re placed somewhere in a level, and you have to reach the end by turning, jumping, climbing, and just, well, getting to the end. To do this, you have program instructions into your character so that they know where to move, then when you press go they’ll do it. It takes a certain amount of spatial awareness, but that’s not where the true difficulty lies.

You can always have another go if you fail, see, so accidentally sending the character right instead of left isn’t a terrible thing to happen.

NzqHK.jpg

No, the difficulty of the puzzles here is in how you only have a limited number of steps that you can take to get you to the exit. You have 12 moves you can make, which can be upgraded slightly by using LB and RB which allow you to add a few extra specific series’ of steps.

The game looks great, and is a really interesting puzzle, the kind of which I haven’t seen before. Only 80 Microsoft Points and so, totally recommended.

5x6gz6.jpg

The Silver award, for games that are incredible, but hey, only one game can be the Gold award winner. In any other month, any of these could have earned it!

Oozi: Earth Adventure Ep. 1 is an excellent platformer that only really misses out on the Gold Award by being so short. It feels thoroughly 16-bit in its execution, which is something that the world is lacking so much these days. 16-bit 2D platformers are probably the king of all genres.

SUtju.jpg

So, you run through huge levels hitting checkpoints, bouncing on enemies and collecting stars for extra lives, and it’s genius. Oozi feels a bit weird at first, he’s very very fast, but you’re used to it in seconds.

What’s most notable perhaps is how well it’s presented. Not only are the graphics amazing, but the whole front end is really professional looking.

It’s still short, though. There are just five levels and then some challenge levels to do after that. For only 80 Microsoft Points though, it’s an easy buy, and I’m totally there for episode 2 when that hits.

=================

TriLinea ReAct is a match-three game which is normally enough for me to yawn myself into a coma but this is actually really good.

yQnaQ.jpg

Where it succeeds is in breaking the gameplay down into really small chunks so you don’t get bored wishing you were playing Zookeeper on DS. The bits it breaks it down into are all really varied too, so even if you’re bored of one level the next will, while using the same mechanics, be totally different. There are fights, puzzles, challenges, and it’s all really nicely presented.

There were issues with controls initially, but these have been patched now and there’s a colourblind mode too! If you tried it before, give it another go.

=================

みみ いんざ すかい or, Mimi in the Sky, is a twin-stick shooter. I know, I know, you want to stop reading now. But carry on, it’s actually good.

WGOPW.jpg

I’m serious. It’s good.

It doesn’t make the mistake that most make, and assume the player isn’t going to wake up for the first five minutes and so start off really slowly. None of that here, it starts off crazy with screen filling points to collect and enemies to shoot and so there’s always something going on.

I particularly like the way that points are only attracted to you if you stop firing for a few seconds. It’s a nice risk/reward mechanic and makes the game much more interesting.

=================

Infinity Danger is another twin-stick, but it’s totally different to Mimi. There are no enemies here, as such, it’s all about boss-rush.

coTNh.jpg

There’s one boss, at first. Kill it, and you’ll get a time bonus and it’ll come back stronger. Kill it. Time bonus. Stronger. Kill it again and again and again and it’s filling the screen in a very very short time which makes it not only harder to kill, but harder to avoid too. There are no lives to speak of, just a time limit. You get extra time when you kill a boss, and time is taken away when it kills you.

There are online leaderboards, something milkstone are great at, and there’s a sort of achievement system in place too for accomplishing various tasks. One level and one boss, yet such great value for money.

If you like it, check out Warning Forever, the game it’s based on.

27yn4nr.jpg

The Bronze Award, not the best games out this month, but every one of these is still either great, or has a really unique aspect to it that more than makes it worth trying.

Love Hurts is a side scrolling beat-em-up. I'm not sure it's that good, really, but it kept me playing it. It looks pretty cool, the music is good, and there's a decent amount of moves. Mainly I played on because it was funny, though. The gameplay itself feels pretty slow and difficult, but I don't play this kinda game so I'm not sure how good it is compared to its peers.

Snake Man is, well, Snake. It's good though. It's pretty lenient with hitting walls and stuff so you'll die usually from blocking yourself in. There are levels to play, awardments to get, and it's playable. It'd be a much better game if it included an endless mode as well though, which it doesn't appear to.

The Hearts of Men is a decent Gauntlet kinda game. It looks nice, save for the dodgy animation, and plays pretty well. Search for keys, go through gates, kill bosses.

Solar System 4D. You've basically got the solar system and can speed up/slow down time to see how planets rotate/orbit. It's interesting. Then you can click on planets to get basic information and some photos, which are really cool. Stuff I didn't know before, Mercury's orbit is all askew, Venus is much bigger and closer than to us than I had any idea of. Obviously the software can be slightly limited, and stuff like the above might be common knowledge (I'm no expert) but it was a really cool, interesting way to learn about stuff like that and I spent an unexpected amount of time messing around with it.

Mute Crimson is a 2D platformer. It doesn’t look great, but it’s fun to play and has some interesting mechanics like wind, etc, that makes it quite timing based in places. It’s funny, and has some very well concealed collectables too which is always fun if you’re afflicted with OCD about such things.

Bureau - Agent Kendall is notable mainly for what it attempts. A text adventure, almost, but with a good attempt at CGI graphics and certainly the best attempt at them we’ve seen in XBLIGs so far.

The sum of Hello Rocket’s parts is better than the whole, really. I love the idea, a lander kind of game where you have to manipulate the world around you to destroy enemies and collect stars. I love the rating system which awards you up to three stars based on your time and your performance. What I couldn’t get on with is the collision detection and the controls. Rather than the thrust button thrusting, as you’d expect, it pulls the tip of your ship upwards as if it’s attached to the top of the screen with a piece of string. It doesn’t feel very natural, really.

CEPINAS would be pretty nice if the controls were better. You have to take over planets by orbiting them with LT held down while your opponent does the same. Take over all the planets to win. Movement is weird though, it's digital rather than analogue and combined with dodgy collision detection, means you'll often collide with stuff by mistake. It’s a nice idea, though

Shoot Your Self is funner than I was expecting. You're in a gun in the middle and you have to adjust your trajectory/power to shoot your avatar at structures to destroy them. You only have a certain amount of shots, and there's a combo that builds if you don't miss. Pretty playable, actually.

Duodecad is a card game. You place your cards on a 3x4 grid, then your opponent does, and if the number on the side of the card that he plays is higher than the adjacent number on your card, it’s a point for him. Whoever has the most points when the grid is full, wins. There are tons of rules you can change, including trade rules that determine how many of your opponents cards you get when you win, to build a stronger and stronger deck. Online multiplayer, or play the (pretty good) AI. There’s also loads of ways to upgrade the power of your cards, like placing them on special squares, etc. Rules like this are all customisable so play with or without ‘em. If this was an XBLA title, it’d be as popular as UNO.

160yng3.jpg

Some games are bad. Really bad. So bad that they don’t even deserve a functioning link to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. But if you’re in the mood for some punishment, or just want to be reminded how much better the games above are, check these out, last month’s most terrible games.

Gyroball doesn’t appear to make much sense at all. It doesn’t tell you how to play and as a result, you won’t know how to play. Funny how things work out like that, isn’t it?

Fortune Cookies in Bed is ridiculous, of course. You press a combination of buttons, it gives you a fortune like "hey man, you're excellent" and then you can change the ending between in bed, on drugs, something else, and "at farting." Yes, that is genuinely an option. Silver Dollar Games have done it again.

BugO StinkO is a ridiculous platformer that isn’t in any way fun to play, and isn’t in any way funny unless you are very, very simple.

ETMD. You know when you first start making games the first thing you do is make a scrolling shooter 'cause they're relatively simple to do? That's what this feels like.

Crisis: North Korea could almost be good but it’s like the dev got bored half way through making it and released it unfinished. It plays music for the first five seconds then that stops and it's kinda plain after that. When you die, the game just... waits. And waits. Hopefully clicking this link won’t get you put on some sort of list.

A tricky game with a cookie is The Impossible Game done badly. Again. This one is done particularly badly though, with unresponsive controls and terrible collision detection and checkpointing.

Abronium Tournament disappoints. It's a series of top-down different multiplayer events. The first one I played was a Mario Kart style race with powerups. You can't see your ship half the time, I have no idea what any of the powerups I deployed actually did, and you can't see the ones that you're being hit with so you just end up losing all momentum and being flung around for no apparent reason. Then there was a capture the flag game that proceeded in much the same manner until I just gave up on it.

Bouncing Avatars is the game that Doodle Jump would have been if when they were making it, Lima Sky said "hey, you know what'd be fun? Having almost no control over the character at all!" Your avatar moves so slowly it's almost impossible to enjoy. It's better than Avatar Ragdolls, but most stuff is.

Strategic Warfare: Conflict has about 10 walls of text that explain how to play the game and then when the game starts you realise that they haven't actually told you how to play the game and you've got no idea what you're doing. In a way, it's like RISK but in real-time. You have to send troops from your towers to enemy castles to take over them, while they do the same. Then they take them back and destroy you because it's stupidly hard. On the first level you start with four towers with 20 troops each, the enemy starts with six that have 30-40 each, and they refresh a lot quicker, their troops move quicker, and there's literally no introduction to the mechanics at all. Difficulty curves are not present, here. The way to win is to replay the battle over and over and over until you get lucky. Not really fun.

Conquest of the planet earth. Absolutely do not download this if you're in any way epileptic. I think it might actually have given me epilepsy just from playing it. It's an FPS, but for some reason the screen is constantly flashing so you can't even play the thing.

Avatar Snake is a nice idea but it's been done so, so badly here. A decent dev could have some fun with the idea. This just... exists.

ilxgyd.jpg

And to end on an awesome note…

Every month, we’ll revisit a couple of games that you may have missed from months gone by. For no real reason at all, this month it’s an Echoes special! Played a really awesome Indie Game in the past? Tweet me @toythatkills and we’ll see about getting it in here in the future.

Echoes+ is probably what the guy who made Asteroids was thinking when he was making his game. In his head, this is what it was. Basically, the best version of Asteroids I’ve ever played, as a twin-stick (with a classic Asteroids control scheme if you prefer).

HkWQN.jpg

The controls are quick and responsive, there are bombs, powerups, four difficulty levels, and everything looks awesome.

The best part is the amount of modes there are to play with. There’s the normal mode, a classic Asteroids mode that removes the new enemies, and among others, there’s a couple of modes that just focus on those new enemies. These are probably my two favourite modes, particularly the one you see in the screenshot above. Waves of meteors just come constantly from any of the four walls, and you have to blast through. Blast the yellow meteor for a multiplier bonus. It starts off slowly but soon you’re trying to evade 2, 3, 4 waves all at the same time and it’s total chaos, and awesome with it.

The leaderboards aren’t online, which is disappointing, but it’s still a great game with a ton to do, and a sort of achievement system too. There are 25 achievements to go for, and you get more points depending on the difficulty level you achieve them on. Get to 100% and you’re clearly some sort of robot.

=================

Halfbrick Echoes is part of the very, very short-lived “Halfbrick Fridays” series of games, which Halfbrick released before going on to uber-success with Fruit Ninja on iOS.

e1UPD.jpg

In the game you have to collect gems in top-down levels such as the one above. Sounds simple enough, but every time you collect a gem it creates an “echo” of yourself which follows in your footsteps. Soon you’re collecting gems while trying to avoid tons of the different versions of yourself, collecting powerups to freeze or destroy them to give yourself a breather and generally taking part in a hectic game.

It’s pretty unique. About the closest thing it can be compared to is Pac-Man or radiangames Fluid (which came later) and neither is really that similar at all.

toythatkills said:
I wanted to do a Silver Dollar special for the "you might have missed" part, but it's taking slightly longer than I thought it would to play through them all!
Posted on April 1st, guys. C’mon, nobody got it? :p

(Blow will be here eventually, though.)

===========================

So, what did you think of these games? What do you think of what you’re playing this month?

Enjoy your Indie Games.

Previous threads, where all the older stuff lives:

The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of February 2011 | Ninja360°
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of January 2011 | Bonded Realities
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of December 2010 | Score Rush
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of November 2010 | The TEMPURA of the DEAD
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of October 2010 | radiangames Fluid
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of September 2010 | Hypership Out of Control
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of August 2010 | Gravitron 360
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of July 2010 | PLATFORMANCE: Castle Pain
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of June 2010 | Old School Racer
The (old) XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Releases this month by date:

March 1st

Gyroball

March 2nd

Office Affairs

March 3rd

Toddler Tantrum
iCandy
Xortron - The Emergence
Love Hurts

March 4th

Snake Man
The Hearts of Men
TrickOrTreat
Laser Logic
Are You Smart Enough?
Fortune Cookies in Bed
TriLinea ReAct
Guitar Tuner 360

March 5th

Solar System 4D

March 8th

ドキドキ☆コスプレせんせい
The Sugar Killerz

March 9th

BugO StinkO

March 10th

ETMD
Marksman: Long Range
みみ いんざ すかい

March 12th

LOAD

March 14th

Black Jack Card Counter
Blockhead

March 15th

I Accidentally...In Space! Ep1
Mute Crimson

March 16th

Solve It - Pack 1
Crisis: North Korea
Bureau - Agent Kendall
A tricky game with a cookie

March 17th

Hello Rocket

March 18th

Cute Pets

March 19th

Spacecraft
MoonLander
Abronium Tournament

March 20th

Bouncing Avatars
Dude, Where's My Avatar?

March 21st

Allied Assault Squadron
Lazy Gamer

March 22nd

Pioneerz
Infinity Danger
Strategic Warfare: Conflict

March 23rd

Satellite
AardBloxX
CTG

March 24th

Lil' Demons: Splatter
CEPINAS

March 25th

Can You Handle 2 At Once?
Oozi: Earth Adventure Ep. 1

March 27th

Conquest of the planet earth

March 28th

PuzzleLights
Shoot Your Self
Hoardzz
City Condemned
Inflamous

March 29th

March 30th

Insane Bash
Knights of Jadora
Duodecad

March 31st

Barnstormer

Kafel

Banned
Yeah, Solve It is great. It's a slow-paced logic game.

If you want to see if you have software development in you, you can try the game and get an idea for example.

I don't have a twitter account but I DEMAND ( while making an angry face >: | ) a spot for Slingstar next month.

Dr Zhivago said:
What happened to Zombie Game of the Month? :p

And I liked Hello Rocket. It's Lander crossed with Angry Birds.
There was one game with zombies in, and it just wasn't worth mentioning :p

And yeah, that's exactly how I'd describe Hello Rocket, if it wasn't for the peculiar controls it'd be brilliant :(

mclem

I'm always quite pleased when Eurogamer goes to the trouble to single out Indie games, they're the only 'big' site I can think of that's covered more than a couple titles.

This week's Download Roundup includes Oozi; they say similar things to you (Although they specifically cite Superfrog as a game it feels a lot like).

Yeah, it's nice that they bother to cover them, although I'm not convinced they play them for a great deal of time. There was a Bonded Realities review (7/10) and it just read like the reviewer had played no further than the first battle.

I've never heard of Superfrog, might have to look into that!

giggas

toythatkills, I'd just like to say that I always love these threads and that they usually leave me clicking links and buying at least one game a month off of it. Though I never got around to last month's game. Oozi is really tempting, and I like that it's short because it means I could probably just blow through it in a night. Time is hard to come by these days.

Great work as always.

edit: and purchased Oozi

Crosse Studio considering legal action against Zeboyd Games

They're really coming off like douche bags threating to sue people for calling you out on things they are still actively doing on their facebook page.

Encouraging people who have never played the game to rate it is pretty inarguably manipulation. Nothing illegal of course, but other developers calling you out on your BS is hardly illegal either.

Don't one of the developers post here? I'd be interested to see how they could possibly justify this kind of shit. Really disappointing considering I was looking forward to NLL 2011 but now I'm unsure if I should support this kind of behavior.

HadesGigas said:
Crosse Studio considering legal action against Zeboyd Games

They're really coming off like douche bags threating to sue people for calling you out on things they are still actively doing on their facebook page.

Encouraging people who have never played the game to rate it is pretty inarguably manipulation. Nothing illegal of course, but other developers calling you out on your BS is hardly illegal either.

Don't one of the developers post here? I'd be interested to see how they could possibly justify this kind of shit. Really disappointing considering I was looking forward to NLL 2011 but now I'm unsure if I should support this kind of behavior.

Absolutely disgusting. The Lacross developer should be penalized for this type of behavior. They can pretend that they did nothing wrong, but asking people to rate your game who do not even own the system is pretty despicable.

How many people are going to troll the ratings now that this exploit is back in the open?

FirstInHell said:
Absolutely disgusting. The Lacross developer should be penalized for this type of behavior. They can pretend that they did nothing wrong, but asking people to rate your game who do not even own the system is pretty despicable.

How many people are going to troll the ratings now that this exploit is back in the open?
Why would anyone allow people to rate a game in an environment where they can't prove they have ever played it?

Ratings should be only allowed to be done on a 360 and after the game is demoed or purchased on that system.

How hard would that be to do?

Feep

Banned
What a douchebag.

On the plus side, maybe all this media will be the impetus for Microsoft to alter the ratings system. From what I've seen, they tend to alter things only when they get bad press about it.

Trumpets

I felt a bit sorry for the Lacrosse devs until I read this:

The scuttlebutt began when Sunseri posted a video on Crosse Studio’s Facebook page – which has more than 175,000 followers – that instructed fans on how to create a free Microsoft account and rate its game

I didn't realise they'd explicitly asked people to game the system by creating false accounts. Idiots.

I thought (hoped) that this was an April Fool's Day joke, to be honest.

HadesGigas said:
Yeah, but aside from making the game for Crosse Studio I don't think he's anything to do with it. The Facebook page is all Crosse Studio's doing. A different dev is making the NLL 2011 game, too.

Trumpets said:
I didn't realise they'd explicitly asked people to game the system by creating false accounts. Idiots.
Careful! They'll sue!

I dunno how different US libel law is to UK libel law, but in the UK they wouldn't even be able to bring a case, such is the lack of actual defamation on display. Is US law that rubbish?

toythatkills said:
I thought (hoped) that this was an April Fool's Day joke, to be honest.

Yeah, but aside from making the game for Crosse Studio I don't think he's anything to do with it. The Facebook page is all Crosse Studio's doing. A different dev is making the NLL 2011 game, too.

Ah, I see that now.

But yeah, we should all be getting served papers by the end of the day today. I'm going to hire that Fortress Craft PR guy to be my representation.

HadesGigas said:
Ah, I see that now.

But yeah, we should all be getting served papers by the end of the day today. I'm going to hire that Fortress Craft PR guy to be my representation.
You'll get 30 seconds of him defending you, and six hours of him trying to sell something to the judge.

"I've sold hundreds of thousands of copies! You should WANT to buy this shit! (Your honour)"

Kafel

Banned
Maybe we should let this intestine war stuff outside of the thread. Same with the FortressCraft PR disaster and devs whining. Just give it a mention and it's enough.

I think about people willing to discover new Indie Games and who have to read through shit like that everytime they enter the thread.

We talked about the nice Kotaku XBLIG favorites but the German magazine GamePro has good selections as well :

* Platformance: Castle Pain
* Arkedo: Pixel
* Your Doodles Are Bugged!
* Obesity Epidemic
* radiangames Fluid
* Explosionade
* Treasure Treasure: FFEE
* Jackpot Stadium
* Unplugged
* Qoccer
* Monsters (probably) stole my Princess
* Beat Hazard

The game selections now seem more mature about how actual games are chosen and not cheap idiot efforts. Perhaps it's time for devs to evolve as well.

Kafel said:
Maybe we should let this intestine war stuff outside of the thread. Same with the FortressCraft PR disaster and devs whining. Just give it a mention and it's enough.
Nah, if there's interesting stuff to talk about, it's only right to talk about it.

Kafel said:
I think about people willing to discover new Indie Games and who have to read through shit like that everytime they enter the thread.
That's what the OP's for. Then the games we're discussing this month will be in next month's OP, so nobody misses out.

You'd love any list with Qoccer in it :p

Trumpets

Yeah, but aside from making the game for Crosse Studio I don't think he's anything to do with it. The Facebook page is all Crosse Studio's doing.

Ahh, I didn't realise that, M'lud. I humbly retract my earlier statement The dev is blameless.

HadesGigas said:
Ah, I see that now.

He is going to get some BIG YOUTUBERS on the case.

Kafel said:

There is no need for a bunch of Indie game threads. Having a one stop shop for everything makes sense. I am interested in indie games and love these threads. It is a great place to catalog the info instead of a thread about one random incident that will be pushed to the bottom of the forum in less than a day.

RetroHelix

Neo Member
I just recently decided to check out the indie games. Wow, I've been missing out. There's a ton of little gems, all for 80 points. I can't even get a pair of shoes for my avatar for 80 points.

Kafel

Banned
FirstInHell said:
There is no need for a bunch of Indie game threads. Having a one stop shop for everything makes sense. I am interested in indie games and love these threads. It is a great place to catalog the info instead of a thread about one random incident that will be pushed to the bottom of the forum in less than a day.

I wasn't suggesting to create new threads. Just to leave that shit out of these threads.

I'd rather read people talk about games.

RetroHelix said:
I just recently decided to check out the indie games. Wow, I've been missing out. There's a ton of little gems, all for 80 points. I can't even get a pair of shoes for my avatar for 80 points.
And this is exactly why I believe the 80 points ($1) model is so fucked up.

A game is much more difficult and time consuming to create than a mesh fitted on an avatar. It sucks because with $1 being the bottom, everyone expects every game to be $1. Devs know this, race to the bottom and validates everyone's expectations.

Now titles with higher quality (yeah I know that some of you don't think they should exist on XBLIG) either have to sell themselves short or come out one stage at a time in episodic form, in order to compete with the guy who used MS paint, an avatar, stock music and sfx from some free site and put a half naked girl on the cover with the words "ZOMBIES!" above her.

/rant. Steam let off: 15%

Kafel

Banned
I've just tried Duodecad, a competent card-game.

The concept is simple enough so the game doesn't need a tutorial and entertaining enough for you to keep playing and buy new cards with points. The menus are a bit rough and I'm not sure the game notices I play on an HDTV despite mentioning it.

At 80 points it was instabuy, at 240 I'll wait for an update.

MTMBStudios >>

NOBODY-LIKES-MY-GAME-FUCKING-CONSPIRACY.jpg

I wasn't really talking about my games. I bet most avatar items sell more than the majority of the stuff in the top rated lists. I'm not a particularly optimistic person.

Also
wwnm79.gif

szaromir

Banned
80MSP is the most popular pricepoint because it's an impulse buy. At 240MSP I'll think twice about buying the game and will try to find out first how much content it offers etc. It might not be reasonable since 240MSP is also a very low price, but that's how human brain works.

Kafel

Banned
MTMBStudios said:
I wasn't really talking about my games. I bet most avatar items sell more than the majority of the stuff in the top rated lists. I'm not a particularly optimistic person.

I wasn't particularly talking about your games (that I didn't try because they don't appeal to me), but about that attitude often met among indie devs.

There's no point in being envious about other items in the marketplace, would they be avatar items -you don't even have a clue about how they sell- or other devs' games in different genres. Do your best in what you do and let others do the same.

When I see conversion rates of most XBLIG I can't say I'm surprised.

szaromir >> yes 240 points is a low price but everyone fights for my money. Though I don't expect indie devs to assume I also own an iDevice, that I happen to buy songs at $1 etc.

I've always been opposed to cosmetic purchases in any game and I just never understood why anyone would ever purchase them when you can buy something with real content. Especially in like TF2 when you could quite literally go onto the steampage and buy a real game with the money you would spend on a hat or whatever.

What was XBLIG GAME OF THE YEAR last year?

szaromir said:
80MSP is the most popular pricepoint because it's an impulse buy. At 240MSP I'll think twice about buying the game and will try to find out first how much content it offers etc. It might not be reasonable since 240MSP is also a very low price, but that's how human brain works.
80MSP is the most popular price point because it's the lowest price point available for the service. People are always crying about how XBLA titles that are $15 are too expensive while stating that $10 is an impulse buy for them ($5 doesn't really exist anymore/rare).

MS could have easily set the ground at 240MSP ($3) and the higher one at $5 and another at $7 and that $3 would have been an impulse buy equivalent to $1 in the minds of consumers. That's how the human brain works.

Dark Octave said:
80MSP is the most popular price point because it's the lowest price point available for the service. People are always crying about how XBLA titles that are $15 are too expensive while stating that $10 is an impulse buy for them ($5 doesn't really exist anymore/rare).

MS could have easily set the ground at 240MSP ($3) and the higher one at $5 and another at $7 and that $3 would have been an impulse buy equivalent to $1 in the minds of consumers. That's how the human brain works.

They already did that. It was 200, 400 and 800 points and sales were even more dismal than they are now. Indie games didn't see any kind of boost until the new price points hit.

Most of the garbage on the service isn't even worth a dollar, anyhow. I feel like $3 is pretty fair for the higher quality stuff. It's not like these games have huge budgets or anything, most of it is pure profit, minus the time invested.

Trying to make a living on the service is a dead end, IMO.

What's up with the PewPewPew demo? I couldn't get the game to start. It just seems like they just gave you a title screen to mess with and that's it.

riceandbeans said:
What's up with the PewPewPew demo? I couldn't get the game to start. It just seems like they just gave you a title screen to mess with and that's it.
I haven't tried it yet, but did you have two headsets attached and try talking to it?

Maid-San's Caving Adventure has just had an update which I'm calling "the sensible update." Now when you complete a level the next one unlocks, regardless of the rank you achieve. It also seems muuuuch clearer about how ranks are calculated, and there's some tutorial screens at the start.

toythatkills said:
I haven't tried it yet, but did you have two headsets attached and try talking to it?

Maid-San's Caving Adventure has just had an update which I'm calling "the sensible update." Now when you complete a level the next one unlocks, regardless of the rank you achieve. It also seems muuuuch clearer about how ranks are calculated, and there's some tutorial screens at the start.

I needed two? Hmmm... I'll give it another shot then. I did sort of have two. Connected my Guitar Hero mic and I have a Kinect. That probably means the Kinect mic isn't supported.

riceandbeans said:
I needed two? Hmmm... I'll give it another shot then. I did sort of have two. Connected my Guitar Hero mic and I have a Kinect. That probably means the Kinect mic isn't supported.
I'm not sure what it supports, but yeah, it's a two-player only game.

"Requires two microphones or headsets."

I guess everything but Kinect :p

toythatkills said:

Thanks, got it to work. It was fun for a little while, but the "pew" sounds didn't always register which sucked when you're tight spot.

toythatkills said:

Haha I was actually making quite a bit of progress on the game in the earlier version.

Hm, looks like Duodecad has a bug that somehow went unnoticed in their testing and peer review where you can never find a game on XBL in the lobby. But they can't submit the patch that fixes it until a week after it launched. That is a pretty unfortunate thing to happen to a game that the main draw is pretty much playing against other people.

RetroGreg

Thanks for the excellent thread again, toythatkills. I missed out on Oozi: Earth Adventure Ep. 1 so I'll have to give it a try next time I get on Live.

RetroGreg said:
Thanks for the excellent thread again, toythatkills. I missed out on Oozi: Earth Adventure Ep. 1 so I'll have to give it a try next time I get on Live.
The game is cool. It starts off easy and starts to get a little difficult with enemies positioned just at the perfect spots for you to fall on a pit or for a few of them to wear you down. Never too hard though.

OnPoint

toythatkills said:

... which kind of sort of sucks. I don't have two headsets so I couldn't play the game.

I'll have a friend bring one over at some point, but this will certainly limit people's interest.

Mute Crimson update should be out sometime today, it passed review.
-Has deadzone options (default is 15% deadzone).
-Fixed custom music playback (game will now not crash with custom music!)
-Small fixes.

Kafel

Banned
I've tried Ninja360° this evening, an original game I've missed at its release.

It's a timing-based platformer with a sweet background. The game plays well but the trial already seemed repetitive enough for me to keep my points.

Top Bottom