• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The August 2010 Thread

33uu713.jpg

Bear with me.

The thread’s called August, the banner’s all “August and shit,” what’s with all this July shenanigans? This post will highlight the best stuff that came out in July and is for discussion of all that stuff, plus the new stuff that comes out in August. Then I’ll compile the best of August’s games into a thread for September. Easy peasy. It means the demise of the official XNA thread and hopefully more exposure for the awesome stuff that continues to be released on Xbox LIVE Indie Games and continues to not get the exposure it deserves.

July in Indie Games started very slowly, with barely anything out by July 5th. It then sped up a bit but nearly everything turned out to be plain, boring, or just rubbish. June was a goldmine of a month and we were spoilt, I struggled to fill the thread with good stuff this month. Luckily, the good stuff that there is is still really good and you should of course try it all!

You can buy any of these games via xbox.com by clicking the link associated with each game, or on the Games Marketplace on your Xbox 360. Simply enter the marketplace and scroll up to Indie Games, where you can check the top rated titles, the games that have just come out, or “browse” to find the games mentioned in this thread. Indie Game trials last eight minutes, which is often enough to establish what you think about it. Even if you don’t buy any of these games, at least trial them, tell people what you think, get more people trying them.

Go. Play. Enjoy. Tell us what you think! Tell all your friends! Get them to tell all their friends…

(Xbox LIVE Indie Games are available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States. If you’re outside those countries you can still play these games by setting up a Gamertag for free for one of those countries. It’s worth doing.)

eknpv.jpg

The Gold award, for the absolute best game that came out last month.

PLATFORMANCE: Castle Pain is pretty clearly the best thing this month, for entirely different reasons than Old School Racer was the best thing last month.

screen2_Web.jpg

I loved Old School Racer for the amazing amount of content it offered for your 80 Microsoft Points. I love PLATFORMANCE precisely for how little it appears to offer. The game has one single level and you can see the whole thing in the screenshot above. It’s a wonderful level, though, and it’s sort of the point.

While it’s a platform game, obviously, it’s more of a speed run game than a game where you simply try to rescue the princess. The controls allow for this excellently, and the graphics are clearly awesome and the hazards are always really clear.

One level though, that’s too short, surely? Well, yeah, you can do it in under five minutes too. But that’s in easy mode, play in normal or hardcore modes and the hazards are multiplied and there’s no way you’ll be getting through in five minutes. It’s not about getting to the end, it’s about getting to the end without dying and as quickly as you can, and there’s tons of gameplay when that’s your goal because the level is so fun that you have no issue with playing it over and over again.

screen3_Web.jpg

There’s one huge problem with the game, a lack of leaderboards. For something that’s so focussed on speed runs and getting through without dying, a leaderboard should be a no-brainer. As it is, we’re stuck comparing times in this thread or elsewhere. So, what’s your best time?

5x6gz6.jpg

The Silver award, for games that are incredible, but hey, only one game can be the Gold award winner. In any other month, any of these could have earned it!

Wordsearch Rush I entered expecting to roll my eyes and exit, but it kept my attention for the entire game. You do a simple wordsearch based on a category: animals, elements, loads of others. It doesn't tell you what words to look for but you can use a hint to find out if you’re stuck. You choose whether you want to find 3, 5, or 7 words based on the category you’ve been given and then you're thrown into the grid with a time limit, and you find what you can.

screen3_Web.jpg

If you find them all you get a points bonus depending on how long each word took and how many you chose to find. You then get a wordsearch minigame to win more time or a hint back. Then you move onto another grid.

It's the most bizarrely compelling score-attack game ever, seriously, and I know you’re looking at it thinking “wordsearches? Really?” because that’s what I did, but you should really give it a go. Let it surprise you.

=================

Lumi is certainly the prettiest game of the month, and comes from Kydos who also released the very pretty Soul earlier in the year. It’s a platform game where you jump between light rings to collect fireflys and bring light to the world.

screen1_Web.jpg

Now, there have been complaints. The first is that the game doesn’t make it clear how to jump longer distances. It does, though. If you’re on a blue light ring, you hold LT to spin around it and can jump off at any point – if you jump off holding RT though, you’re repelled far further and can cover great distances. Launch from red light rings in a similar way. It’s second nature within minutes

The other complaint comes from instant-death gameplay and how hard the game suddenly becomes but let me ask you this; when did we, as gamers, become such wusses? The game is hard, so what, we used to practice and get better! When did we start giving up so easily?

It’s 400 Microsoft Points, but for a Dream.Build.Play winner, and a game this good, that’s a small investment.

=================

Ophidian Wars: Opac's Journey is a platformer from SmallCaveGames, who may even pop by to say hello, being on ‘GAF and all! Essentially, and most importantly, it gets jumping right and so feels lovely to play.

screen1_Web.jpg

There’s no enemies and it’s purely about exploring and gaining new skills, upgrading them and exploring some more. As a result, it’s a beautifully stress free platforming experience and if you’re looking to chill out and haven’t read as far as Pocoro yet, it’s a great game to relax with.

At present you can’t save a game in progress and must finish it in one sitting, but that’s doable with the game taking around 60-90 minutes to explore. Just make sure you’ve got the time beforehand – or wait for a patch with saves turned on!

=================

Aphelion is an excellent attempt at an RPG which we’re actually getting pretty well catered for on Xbox LIVE Indie Games, despite the long development time and small prices which you’d expect to make them impossible to justify.

screen4_Web.jpg

You’re in space, shit’s gone down. Okay, it’s not the newest experience but there’s a lot to do with customising items and such like, which can take a five hour experience beyond that if you let it. The battle system is basic but balanced and fun and fun is all you can ask for.

=================

Avaglide is that rarest of beasts, an avatar game that isn’t shit. The dev has previous experience though, they’re responsible for Crate Expectations which looks a lot like Sokoban but is actually a competitive crate pushing game, so hopes were higher that this wouldn’t be rubbish

screen3_Web.jpg

You hang glide. It controls really nicely but has far more depth to it than you’d expect. It requires a lot of balance in when to drop and ascend because if you lose your momentum on the way up, the only other way is down. There’s some different game modes, you can race through rings and collect stars, or drop stuff on targets. Every mode scores you differently and it’ll take a decent level of skill and expertise to maximise those scores, but it’s good enough that you want to do it.

It’s probably the only avatar game that feels like a game rather than a five second experience that should be in WarioWare.

=================

radiangames Crossfire is a bit like Pixel Whirled, an older Xbox LIVE Indie Game. It's Space Invaders but you can flip your ship from the top to the bottom of the screen to avoid fire and catch enemies from behind. You can also collect bonus ammo and points which powers up a stronger gun for more desperate times.

screen2_Web.jpg

Later on, different enemy types mix things up a bit and can react faster to you flipping, etc, which is good 'cause it might seem fairly easy from the trial experience where it's quite simple to avoid fire. Not so! There's a lot to think about and it's a really interesting, really nice looking take on what's a fairly stale experience ordinarily.

27yn4nr.jpg

The Bronze Award, not the best games out this month, but every one of these is still either great, or has a really unique aspect to it that more than makes it worth trying.

Sleepwalker is a really interesting puzzle game. You're a guy who is sleepwalking and your only control is to make him face left or right, he always goes forward. You use this to get him over obstacles or solve puzzles. It's a brilliant idea, and it's been really well executed here. The only problem is the length, it's a very short game. Definitely needs to be trialled though.

Decay - Part 2 is, obviously, the sequel to Decay - Part 1. There's more content than the original game but it very much requires the purchase of that first part to get as much out of it as you could. That first part costs $3 for about ten minutes of content and is terrible value for money, however brilliantly atmospheric it is. If you were burned by it before though, you're much safer with Part 2.

Spaceship Game for Kids, you've seen the title and thought, "no." Actually though, it's at least worth a trial. It looks quite nice flying around but mainly, it made me laugh. Give it a couple of minutes play and I can near guarantee that you'll chuckle too. Not enough to buy it probably, unless you have a kid, but it'll raise a smile. It's a nice attempt at a kid game.

This Way That Way is a quite interesting puzzle game, but it looks horrible which will affect its take-up, no doubt. You can move up/down/left/right and have to make it across a grid to the exit. The thing is though, once you've moved left you're not allowed to move left again until you've moved right, up, and down. Could use an undo feature, too. Lots of issues then, yeah, but a very interesting idea at its core, and worth having a go with.

Air Forte is actually pretty awesome, the presentation is top notch, menus and everything look lovely. The game itself gives you a number of floating orbs and a task, "multiple of xx" and you have to fly through all the orbs that fit the bill. It's simple, and would be excellent for kids learning math(s), but it's worth a look just to see how nice it all looks. Quite enjoyed playing it, and the full version contains loads of extra modes including vocabulary. Try it.

Opposites. You only need to look at the screenshots to realise that this is the most genius idea for multiplayer Tetris ever. A black side shooting white blocks, and a white side shooting black blocks, both aiming to the same point in the middle. So the more they shoot, the bigger the white side gets, etc. Turns out it's sort of hard to follow. It also suffers from the same problems every Tetris clone does, it thinks that Tetris isn't perfect and can be improved upon. So it adds new block shapes and sizes. Ruins it. Doesn't control the best on the 360 pad either, unfortunately. Still, an awesome concept.

Avatar Pinball. I clicked the "play game" button, filled to the brim with dread. Turns out though, it's not that bad. It's massively creepy, seeing your avatar with their neck totally snapped, but the game itself is much better than I was expecting. Unfortunately all the sensible modes are locked in the trial so all you can play is the one where you use your avatar as the ball and left/right to move the avatar around which makes the game pretty easy, you'll never fall down the middle, for example. The physics seem OK to me, though there's an option to play with a ball which would make it easier to judge, not available in the trial. The big problem, I guess, is that there's only one table and it's fairly basic and you'll tire of it pretty quickly. It's not a bad pinball game though.

Gumzoobo! - COMIC SANS WARNING. Okay, stop me if you've heard this one before. You're in a single-screen 2D level and you have to shoot bubbles at enemies at which point they float up and you jump at them to make them die. Then they turn into fruit which you collect for pointages. Defeat all the enemies to progress. Familiar? There's a few annoyances with the controls and the collision detection but for only 80 points it's not bad and it comes loaded with power-ups and stuff. The trial time-limit ran out which is always a good sign 'cause it held my attention for at least that long!

rjjf2e.jpg

Startlingly, there was only one game about zombies released this month and so it wins this award by default. It’s like winning the “sexiest leper” award where you were the only contestant. And your mum was on the judging panel. And it still took weeks and three recounts before you were declared the winner. I shouldn’t have committed to this section!

Crazy Ride with Zombies, despite being here, is rubbish. Like all the other zombies games, frankly.

screen1_Web.jpg

You ride a rollercoaster and press A to punch which has some random timing and you’ll never be quite sure whether you’ll punch a zombie in the face or just miss, because it seems to be different every time. You can also unconvincingly jump with X to avoid other stuff. Not much fun.

160yng3.jpg

Some games are bad. Really bad. So bad that they don’t even deserve a functioning link to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. But if you’re in the mood for some punishment, or just want to be reminded how much better the games above are, check these out, last month’s most terrible games.

Super Avatar World is awful. I pressed "play" on the dashboard and then the next day when the game actually loaded, I found it was awful. The jumping is crap, the enemies don't fit into the world whatsoever because they're of a completely different style. It's kinda funny, the dev clearly couldn't do 3D animation so all the moving stuff is 2D, which completely jars with the ready-made avatars they had at their disposal. Unplayable.

Avatar Bowling is actually hilarious, I played it for exactly one shot. I rolled the ball, and got a seven-ten split. I waited for twenty seconds while one of the pins very slowly hovered further and further left, and then the scorecard awarded me a strike. Trial exited at that point.

Superboise, who are Silver Dollar Games with avatars, release the pointless Avatar High Five in which you press A to hi-five, and then you, no, wait, that's literally it.

The Quest for Freshness is tower defence. I didn't kill a single enemy though, because it's SO FUCKING SLOW that the trial would have expired before the first enemy reached my defences.

Killa Hurtz is hands down the worst game of the month. It's a kart racer but the tracks (or at least the track in the trial) are near impossible to navigate because you just can't see where the track goes. There's an arrow to point you in the right direction but it's so slow to react, it doesn't actually tell you where to go until you've already gone the wrong way and got lost. Even with the arrow pointing the right way it's not that obvious where to go half the time. Weapons are shit. Cars handle like shit, and there appears to be an area where controls are randomly inverted which makes them handle even shittier. I can't find a single good word to say about this game. A ridiculously frustrating experience.

Flight Adventure could be the best flight simulator in the world, if you're already a pilot and know how to fly a plane. There are no tutorials, no hints at how to fly, nothing at all to make the game accessible to newcomers. When you eventually take off, you'll find that the sky is a solid shade of blue so it's impossible to actually tell where you're going unless you understand all the dials which, of course, the game doesn't explain to you.

Obesity Epidemic, or to give it a better title "I MAED A GAM3 W1TH FAT PE0PLE!!!1" – but not very well.

ilxgyd.jpg

And to end on an awesome note…

Every month, we’ll revisit a couple of games that you may have missed from months gone by. These games are lost in the depths of the Games Marketplace, pull them out of there! Played a really awesome Indie Game in the past? PM me and we’ll see about getting it in here in the future.

Ladybird Galaxy has an awesome risk/reward scoring mechanic that really makes it much more exciting than the screenshot might suggest it is.

You control a spaceship that moves ever forward, and you can rotate it left or right. You have to collect gems which you get a few points for. If you collect stars though, you speed riiiiight up and it’s becomes harder to control but at the same time your multiplier goes up and you’ll get higher and higher scores. It’s a lovely mechanic.

screen3_Web.jpg

There’s some nice balance too, see that laser in the screenshot? Occasionally it sweeps across the screen and kills you unless you get off the side of the screen before it, so if you’ve been sloooowly accumulating your score one gem at a time, then you probably won’t have the speed you need to avoid it.

Charming, well-balanced, amazing risk/reward gameplay. What’s your high score?

=================

Pocoro was the first Xbox LIVE Indie Game I ever bought. I’d given up on them, see, the early onslaught of shit was too much for me to deal with and every box art was more hideous than the next. Then Pocoro appeared with its gorgeous box art and I was compelled to try it.

screen2_Web.jpg

Gorgeous is what the game is. Maybe not in looks, but in atmosphere. It has the most chilled soundtrack and appearance, and the whole thing is incredibly relaxing. I once described it as being “like playing a dream,” which if you try it, hopefully you can understand.

The game itself doesn’t disappoint either, it’s a really cool puzzler. You have a set of numbers and you have to step on each square that number of times and then get to the exit. It’s simple to play, but gets tougher later on as the layouts get more complex.

It still has the best box art on the Indie Games service, in my opinion.

===========================

So, what did you think of these games? What do you think of what you’re playing this month?

Enjoy your Indie Games!

(Also hosted at Console-Arcade.com)

Releases this month by date:

July 1st

The American Hot Dog Race
Stop The Woodcutter!

July 5th

My Band

July 7th

radiangames Crossfire

July 8th

Aphelion

July 9th

Stack of Bricks

July 10th

Helico Hero
Metaelectric Guitar

July 11th

Leximo
Bombs Away
Sleepwalker
UFO Commando

July 12th

Decay - Part 2
7strains - The Infectious
Lumi
Comet!
MusicNow!

July 13th

Jurassic
Jet Pack Wars *Removed
Ballern2D

July 14th

Spaceship Game for Kids
StarField Battle 2

July 15th

This Way That Way

July 16th

The Quest for Freshness
*Removed
Air Forte
B-A-Maze'd

July 17th

Immunogen
Ophidian Wars: Opac's Journey

July 18th

Cerebral Arena

July 19th

Super Avatar World
Avaglide
Four Corners

July 20th

Phat Fly!
SudokuGeek
Bubble Buster
Classic Minesweeper
WordWise
Wordsearch Rush

July 21st

D.O.T.S.
Fly, Butterfly, Fly!
Operation Old Spice
Opposites

July 22nd

Hive Attack
How Smart Are You? IQ Test
Runic 3D
Blox
Chemical Chaos

July 23rd

CoreDase
Overkill

July 24th

PLATFORMANCE: Castle Pain
The war of the end of the days

July 25th

SketchBox 360
Seaside Racing

July 26th

Killa Hurtz
Spring Up Harmony
Basketball Machine
Cyber Lander: Mission Space

July 27th

Rock Blocks
Gumzoobo!

July 29th

Relative Space
Junior Street Ninja
Flight Adventure
Crazy Ride with Zombies

July 30th

The Impossible Avatar Getaway2
Obesity Epidemic
Spin
Space Swine

Previous threads, where all the older stuff lives:

The best Xbox LIVE Indie games of June 2010 | Old School Racer
The (old) XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Very cool thread idea, I somehow missed last month's.

But... do you not like shooters or something? I would have figured Vampire Rage and Radiangames Crossfire were shoo-ins for at least Silvers, I'm a bit taken aback to see them both end up on the very ass-end of the Bronze list.

fernoca

Super Avatar World, does suck.
But; as a multiplayer game is kinda fun, since it's a race to see who can collect the most stars. :lol
We had a blast with the demo, and my friends asked me to buy the game since is only $1 (80 MS Points).

But I won't. :p

Shig said:
But... do you not like shooters or something? I would have figured Vampire Rage and Radiangames Crossfire were shoo-ins for at least Silvers, I'm a bit taken aback to see them both end up on the very ass-end of the Bronze list.
Vampire Rage still needed patching last month, for Arcade Stick support and various other things so it wasn't the best it could have been, still very good though.

Crossfire I enjoyed - those games aren't in any specific order, just the order I happened to paste them into Notepad while I was making this thread, I think it's actually more likely to get noticed at the bottom than in the middle somewhere though :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The fact that "Try not to Fart" and "Babymaker Extreme" are still at the top of the charts pretty much kills all hope I have for humanity.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
thetrin said:
The fact that "Try not to Fart" and "Babymaker Extreme" are still at the top of the charts pretty much kills all hope I have for humanity.
:lol

Some of these games are just mind blowing for the price.

JesseZao

thetrin said:

I would say the problem is indeed that fact that people buy trash games that can be completely enjoyed in the trial period. That said, BME was pretty fun to play, but the trial was enough for me. Try not to Fart is just getting sales from people who think it's a funny name, the trial is plenty of time to experience everything it can do.

Sydle

Excellent thread, I'll have to check out Lumi and Avaglide.. I second that everyone needs to try Pocoro, it's still one of my favorite Indie games.

xbhaskarx

Great idea for a thread, I hope you do this every month.

Thanks for sifting through the junk so the rest of us don't have to.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Protect Me Knight is still the best Indie game I've played on XBL. Are the picks this month that good?

OnPoint

I picked up Platformance the other day (because of the July thread) and was fairly impressed. It was only a dollar -- how could I say no? Regardless, I had a lot of fun with it while it lasted.

OnPoint

k0ji-wd said:
Thanks for these really informative threads, I will make my first forays into the XBLi on your advice :D

From my experience, I'd suggest Johnny Platform's Buscuit Romp, Arkedo series 01 JUMP, and Arkedo Series 03 Pixel to start. All so fun.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
OnPoint said:
From my experience, I'd suggest Johnny Platform's Buscuit Romp, Arkedo series 01 JUMP, and Arkedo Series 03 Pixel to start. All so fun.
Johnny Platform Saves Xmas > Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
TTK - you da man, seriously. Appreciate the shout out.

Crossfire is solid. Not for me personally, but it's a tight little package for shooter fans.

I'll go ahead and say it: your monthly thread is interesting, funny to read, and informative. I especially enjoy your approach to the worst games of the month. Avatar Pinball made me lol in real life.

OnPoint

Shig said:
Johnny Platform Saves Xmas > Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp

In all aspects but price, maybe. I haven't played it yet, but honestly, Xmas is on my list of games to get next

nocode

Tried out the demo for Platformance, and it seemed like a lot of fun. Definitely going to drop a dollar for that one. Plus, the level when pulled back reminds me of when I used to draw out platformers on big sheets of paper when I was little. :D

Reposts from other thread:

HadesGigas said:
Alpha Squad reveal trailer

And PC demo! (Which I can't get to run even though I have all the framework and other junk it needs)

Alpha Squad is a hybrid Shooter/Adventure/RPG game. Think if Smash TV and Zelda had a love child.

A team of mercenaries become unlikely heroes when a simple contract turns into betrayal. Play the role of Alpha Squad: Clint, Jin, Lynx and their disposable sidekick, Lackey as they hunt who betrayed them.

This is a limited contest only version of Alpha Squad. A number of features are locked and details on the stages are still being worked on. Look for the final version of Alpha Squad on the Xbox 360 this fall.

This demo features the entire first stage of the game (some objects still being worked on) and an Arena Mode, where you try to rack up as many points as possible before dying.

The final version will also feature up to four players (local or online) in the Story Mode and Arena Mode for complete networked integration.

For more information you can visit the studio website at www.dragondivide.com

This is the game with music by Metroid Metal's Stemage.

HadesGigas said:
And here's a screen of the Xbox version of Treasure Treasure:
Preview-Screenie.png

HadesGigas said:
The No Button Game is out, and they're giving away copies on twitter, still a couple left. You have to follow them then retweet a message. (Edit: looks like they're all gone now)

http://twitter.com/RunningPixel/

screen1_Web.jpg

Gowans

Crossfire & AvaGlide were my faves last month.

Still need to grab platformance for when I'm in the mood to be punished.

Lumi really didn't click with me at all.

That Alpha squad games sounds a little like the Zelda/GeoWars game that was teased to be the next Arkedo game (that didn't come :( ).

Looks great.

Oh isn't this month time for the channel 4 sex education game to release if it gets through cert. From what we've seen I can see why it wouldn't.

Just found out that Denki are releasing Juggle, the excellent iPhone game, sometime soon: it's been submitted!

Denki Blocks is probably too much to hope for but this is good news, I wonder what it means for Quarrel though.

Kafel

Banned
toythatkills said:
Just found out that Denki are releasing Juggle, the excellent iPhone game, sometime soon: it's been submitted!

Denki Blocks is probably too much to hope for but this is good news, I wonder what it means for Quarrel though.

: /

Let's hope Denki Blocks gets released on the Indie service. Quarrel is/was a XBLA game, it looked good so I hope it's not in limbo.

Love what you are doing mate, quality work! Going 2 have to agree with whoever said Crossfire should have got a Silver award though, second best game of the month for me after Platformance.

Seriously though, this is much appreciated

V_Ben

Banned
This thread is always great. Love these threads man, keep it up. These games deserve the recognition.

Great job with the thread and thanks for the hard work. It is always a chore to find the few good games that are worth playing with the cesspool of crap that is on the Indie games channel. There are some good looking games that I am going to give a shot.

Does anyone know why the "Most Popular" or "Top Downloaded" games are usually the shittiest throwaway shit? The lame avatar games are always featured on the channel and it takes away from some of the really good stuff that is out there. Are ambitious aspiring developers pissing in the wind when all it takes to get a ton of downloads is to make a zombie farting game?

....that gives me an idea...

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
FirstInHell said:
Great job with the thread and thanks for the hard work. It is always a chore to find the few good games that are worth playing with the cesspool of crap that is on the Indie games channel. There are some good looking games that I am going to give a shot.

Does anyone know why the "Most Popular" or "Top Downloaded" games are usually the shittiest throwaway shit? The lame avatar games are always featured on the channel and it takes away from some of the really good stuff that is out there. Are ambitious aspiring developers pissing in the wind when all it takes to get a ton of downloads is to make a zombie farting game?

....that gives me an idea...

It's a bit of a mystery but the most accepted reasoning is that there is a sizable portion of Avatar junkies who really like those games. And at the very least, they peak enough curiosity to warrant a boatload of trial downloads, which counts toward the top downloads list.

I can actually live with that. But what I don't like is that:

Being on that list means tons more exposure which means they will reap those cicular rewards.

Some good developers are searching for gimmics and making Avatar games rather than creating original content.

PS - that girl looks about 9 years old and it's disturbing.

Top Bottom