• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The October 2010 Thread

do2893.jpg

Kind of an odd month. It didn’t feel like there was much being released, and the stuff that did come out was mostly average. The good stuff, though, was of a ridiculously high quality, especially Hypership which I still can’t stop going back to. Having seen some sales figures for it though, I’ve become somewhat dismayed at the state of humanity as a whole.

You can buy any of these games via xbox.com by clicking the link associated with each game, or on the Games Marketplace on your Xbox 360. Simply enter the marketplace and scroll up to Indie Games, where you can check the top rated titles, the games that have just come out, or “browse” to find the games mentioned in this thread. Indie Game trials last eight minutes, which is often enough to establish what you think about it. Even if you don’t buy any of these games, at least trial them, tell people what you think, get more people trying them.

Go. Play. Enjoy. Tell us what you think!

(Xbox LIVE Indie Games are available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States. If you’re outside those countries you can still play these games by setting up a Gamertag for free for one of those countries. It’s worth doing.)

eknpv.jpg

The Gold award, for the absolute best game that came out last month.

I was slightly worried this month. The first two games to come out were Treasure Treasure and radiangames Inferno and I loved them both, I was already wondering what to pick as the game of the month. Then Hypership Out of Control came along and just blew everything else away.

sfqle.png

You’re piloting a ship but the space brakes are out. This’d be OK but the accelerator is jammed. This is not a recipe for a successful voyage. It’s up to the player to manoeuvre the ship through asteroids and walls and mines and space bees and just survive as long as possible. In the normal mode, you get three lives and each “wave,” basically a set of obstacles, increases your max speed until you’re going so fast you can barely keep up so you die and then play again and again and again because the game is like crack.

That’d be enough for a dollar, but it doesn’t stop there. Hardcore mode reduces the number of lives to one. Another mode removes the maximum speed limit and so you go much faster, much quicker. Aside from a practice mode which you can use to play any of the game’s ten waves that you’ve reached through normal play, the final mode is coindown. This gives you a number of coins to begin with and they gradually tick down, you have to collect more because you’ll lose when they reach zero.

In the other modes, coins are collected for points and to add to your multiplier, 99 coins is worth X2, X3, up to X5. Your points also rack up quicker as you increase speed. The coin mechanic is a simple one but it means that the longer you survive, the quicker your points shoot up. Points can be tracked on global leaderboards which you can access if you’ve got a gold account.

IJ8dl.png

Surely that’s enough as content goes, but no! There’s co-op gameplay, and the game also comes with 20 “awardments” for you to earn based on things like completing waves, earning points and collecting the games many power-ups. Things to slow you down, speed you up, give you a more powerful gun or a shield, or more.

It’s a ridiculously simple concept at heart, but so much effort has gone into the presentation, the brilliant music (which I’m still humming) and the wonderful humour that it’s impossible not to love it and just play it over and over again. This is the cheapest game you’ll buy all year at only 80 Microsoft Points, and is my second favourite game on the whole service. It was a really easy choice for game of the month.

5x6gz6.jpg

The Silver award, for games that are incredible, but hey, only one game can be the Gold award winner. In any other month, any of these could have earned it!

Treasure Treasure: FFEE is a one or two player 2D platformer in which the player has to explore a huge single level looking for treasure. Don’t let the fact that there’s one level put you off, there’s loads to do here. There are 21 treasure chests dotted around the fortress, and a boy and girl are searching for them. Each one is a test for the player in how to reach and then open it; they can only be opened from the side so clearing obstructions or simply getting to each chest is a self-contained puzzle.

kmIH7.png

The game can be played on your own by pressing Y to switch between the pair, or is even better when you’ve got two players with one person controlling each character. The characters have different skillsets so it’s essential to keep them together where possible, though the splitscreen effect is excellent. The boy can push huge blocks and carry smaller ones, as well as carrying bombs. The girl has a much higher jump, and using their skills effectively is key to reaching and opening all 21 chests.

And then, of course, the style. Set in a GameBoy-like window, with the palette reminiscent of that system. The animation is brilliant, and the idle animations especially so. Sound, also, is top class. The whole package is a steal at 80 Microsoft Points.

=================

radiangames Inferno is Gauntlet for the 21st century; albeit less excruciatingly difficult. It’s probably the least stylish of the radiangames series, but it doesn’t suffer for it, and by no means does it not look great. So, the gameplay then. At its most basic level it’s a twin-stick, You move with the left, and shoot with the right. Rather than being a score attack game, though, you have to explore levels looking for gold and keys, and kill any enemy that stands between you and the exit to the next level.

GIjjD.png

Getting through the levels is your goal, here. This is made easier by upgrades which you can buy using upgrade points you’re awarded now and then, and they’re unlocked by spending the gold you’ve found. These range from health upgrades to better shields or weapons. Gold can also be spent on bombs, or on keys to stop you needing to get through that heavily guarded passage and get the key that’s behind there.

There’s a lot to do and see, there’s a wealth of different enemies with different attack patterns and different methods to kill them. There’s secret passages to find, and there’s a new game plus. All for 80 Microsoft Points.

=================

The trial of Neighbourhood is GANG INFESTED has the most horrible 8-minute limit because it's never quite enough to finish a game, and it always seems to kick in just when it gets interesting! You're a gang, and you have to take over adjacent territories of other gangs by rolling dice. However many gangsters you have in your section is how many dice you get to roll, so you have to be careful. Win, and you take over the opponent’s section, lose and all but one of the gangsters dies. Your goal: take over the entire board. It's really interesting, balancing attack and defence. I made the mistake first of going all out attack and ended up with loads of weak territories which were soon picked off. Then I tried to balance attack and defence and did much better, until the bloody time ran out!

SdkuM.png

Every few turns you get special cards to weaken your opponents or strengthen yourself which you can use whenever and wherever you want.

The only problem is that it seems a bit lacking in content. I guess there's an unlimited supply of games as they're randomised but a multiplayer mode, or even a silly little campaign would've been nice. Easily worth 80 Microsoft Points.

=================

Mama & Son - Clean House is great. It's funny, which is easy enough to tell from the plot. The son notices a UFO and being an ex-commando figures I'ma shoot this shit up. Mama, poor Mama, has to clean up all his mess. You can control either him or her, with the AI controlling the other and you can switch between them with Y if you want to. You can also play hardcore mode and control them together using different halves of the control pad. It's as hardcore as it says.

The gameplay is pretty simple and set in small one-screen levels. With the son (who’s named “Really”) you just run and jump and shoot aliens until your ammo runs out. With Mama you run and jump and automatically sweep up spent bullets and bits of alien into the rubbish bins. You can also clean the walls if you stop near those, that's automatic too.

c7bSD.png

What's nice is the balance between the two characters. Really can die an unlimited number of times but if Mama runs out of health, it's game over. So you have to use Really to defend Mama as she cleans. Really will run out of ammo though, and the only way to get more is for Mama to clean up after him, so both players have essential roles.

The AI didn't seem great so far better with two players, but it can be played online (or of course, in hardcore mode).

There's a story mode, or an endless survival mode. 80 Points, bargain.

27yn4nr.jpg

The Bronze Award, not the best games out this month, but every one of these is still either great, or has a really unique aspect to it that more than makes it worth trying.

Jewel Dervish is here for having an interesting twist (you’ll see) on the now-really-boring match-three concept. Think Bust-a-Move/Puzzle Bobble but the jewels are in the middle around a special jewel, and depending on where you hit the jewels, it rotates. So every shot is under slightly different conditions. It's pretty unique. You have to clear all the jewels around the special one to win. The presentation is horrible though, especially the help screen, and it can be quite difficult to get shots aimed precisely. Still, worth a go.

VEXIS (Buckshot Games) is a very nice puzzle game. You have to make a white block get to a black block by rotating the level 90degrees left and right and using gravity to weave a path through. There are some special blocks that keep disappearing, and others that will fall after three seconds in whatever direction is down at the time. I like it a lot, not stuffed with content but I certainly don’t begrudge paying 80 points for it.

Denki’s Juggle! is fun, notable mainly for having probably my favourite avatar support of any game I've played. I'm not gonna say what it does, but it's brilliant and really made me smile. The game is kind of like Pong with one paddle, balls bounce up and you just keep bouncing them. It looks great and sounds better, but it's not the easiest thing to control with an analogue stick, and D-Pad support is absent. I think I prefer it on iPhone (and it's a third of the price) but it's certainly worth checking out the trial. Full game includes multiplayer too, which the iPhone doesn't have.

360 Megapack HD Remix probably shouldn’t be good, but it is. I launched it thinking these exact words: "might as well get it out of the way, I suppose." Then it turned out to be not bad at all. There's massage crap and other pointless apps, but there are some games as well. The first one is a bit like The Impossible Game but you can press X to flip gravity and ride on the ceiling. Regardless of the rest of the package, that little mini-game is worth the entry fee on its own, then you get some other games too. Great stuff.

Old School Adventure is another one to buy. The level design seems to be pretty excellent and it feels grand and MetroidVania-like to me which is easily enough to warrant your 80 Points. The gameplay I'm gonna have to just deal with. It plays fine apart from the jumping which isn't nice at all. If you press jump while running, you kinda jump too far in that direction too fast, and it doesn't feel natural. Then there's a second or so where you can't adjust the jump in mid air and you're in the spikes so many times because of it. With checkpoints being so regular though, it's never really that frustrating because you'll hardly ever lose any major progress. Just a learning curve, really.

Jungle (Animal Chess) is like chess with animals in the jungle. Well, it's not that much like chess. The tutorial makes it sound really confusing but it's actually very simple, and kinda nice. You've got animals numbered one to eight and a higher numbered animal can take a lower numbered animal, except a rat (1) which can take an elephant (8). Certain animals can swim and jump water. You just have to make it to the other players fort. It's cool, but if you capture the other player's elephant before they capture yours you're near invincible which kinda spoils it. Worth a look though, just, well, don't expect anything anywhere near as deep as chess.

Tank Battles is good but my God, THE LOADING. I think a good half of the time I played was watching a loading screen tick up ohsosloooowly. The game's a lot of fun though. Not sure how good the online play will ever be but there's some decent offline modes too, you can play a normal battle or there's a campaign. The battles are for four players, you just wander around the top-down arena in your tank shooting, trying not to get shot. Controls are excellent, responsive, and it plays really great. When it's loaded.

RAID. Well, there's not much that can send a chill down my spine more than seeing a game by Silver Dollar Games. I actually quite enjoyed this though! It's basically a series of QTEs where you burst into a top-down room and have to press the corresponding button to an enemy, and leave civilians alone. It's pretty mindless but at the same time, it's quite satisfying as you explore a whole building bursting into rooms and shooting people. I'm surprised.

rjjf2e.jpg

More surprised. This month’s best zombie game is actually a good game.

Ninja VS. Zombie should blatantly be terrible, it should be the worst game ever, but I love it. It's a platform game where you have small levels in which to kill all the zombies, or get to an exit. Zombies can't be killed by your attack, and as the game says: "When you apply a strong attack to the enemy, the enemy is blown off." Erm. Yeah, so you have to hold X to do really powerful punches to smash zombies into walls of spikes, I cannot stress enough how satisfying that is. Seriously, it’s amazing. You can also trigger switches to shoot knives into zombies heads, also brilliant.

73mY5.png

What I loved is the variation though, you get six levels in the trial and every one uses the same basic mechanics in different ways. Level six in particular was brilliant, it's one of the best timing-based platform levels I've ever played. Granted, I can't think of another one specifically, but getting the timing right for this level and making it to the exit felt awesome.

(Note: don't try and play this with an analogue stick, you'll drift left and it's impossible.)

160yng3.jpg

Some games are bad. Really bad. So bad that they don’t even deserve a functioning link to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. But if you just want to be reminded how much better the games above are, check these out, last month’s most terrible games.

アバター アップ オンライン is a rubbish Japanese game that makes very little sense. You just shoot boxes to knock the opponents avatar off the screen while they do the same to you. Then there's a horrific noise and a counter goes up to about 362 and you try again but harder. Then after a while something happens and your avatar stands there for a bit. Huh.

Avatar Crate Crusaders is made by dicks. Knowing full well that people use A to select things on options screens, they've made that the "buy" button which is totally cynical and screw 'em. You have to play a number of small games at once, each using one button to jump over crates or avoid them somehow. It's rubbish, but then they could have made Alundra and I still wouldn't buy it from them.

Snailien Invasion is Worms, I s'pose, but without the turn-based aspect of it. Two big issues here. The controls I couldn't get on with at all. You have to aim with the right stick and then fire with the right trigger, all the while aiming with the right stick to use your ninja rope(tm) with the left trigger, and it's just too much to deal with at once, to say nothing of all the other controls. Then there's the ninja rope. In the trailer, this looks awesome, swinging around firing on stuff. In the game, you're zoomed in so much that you can't actually see anything at all to grapple on to, and you just have to keep firing the rope off-screen in the hope that you connect with something. I just didn't enjoy a single second of playing it.

Cattle Crashers is boring. You just have to stick to the left of the screen to make sure that cattle don't drop off it. You can also throw dynamite to destroy enemies that don't seem to do anything anyway. It's so slow, and it feels like you can't even do anything to stop cattle disappearing to the left half the time as they just slowly drift off. Then you slowly drift off, into a deep deep sleep.

Notebook Shooter is the worst kind of twin-stick. It's slow, it's boring, it's ugly. You don't even need to move for about five minutes because the enemies come so slowly. Horrible.

I played Walketh. I say "played," but what actually happened was I pressed some buttons at random before going "what the hell am I doing?" and turning it off. It's an RPG where the screen is black and you have to use sound to navigate, it says, but beyond hitting a wall there didn't seem to be any hints as to where you can or should move. Am I supposed to be drawing a map as I go, or something? Don't see the point at all.

Aurelia. From the people behind Zombie Shotgun Massacre, it's a 2D platformer, kind of. The first thing that happens is you talk to God and then ROLL YOUR EYES at the properly horrendous attempt at humour. Properly. Horrendous. Then you have to move right attacking enemies and such, which wasn't terrible... Then, however, you get put in a vertically scrolling level where a spiked floor trails you. The floor moves too fast, the view is too zoomed in so you can't see the next safe platform, and the controls don't make it easy to get there even if you can. Your health depletes, and then you have to start again from the very beginning of the game. No checkpoints here, buddy.

Anti-Aircraft Warfare confused me. The more I shot enemies, the more a health bar went down. I assumed it was their health, but then when it ran out the game just stopped. It's really not very good, and when a dev doesn't know left and right you're kinda expecting the worst before you've even started. Gameplay: move an anti-aircraft gun around shooting planes down.

The Tribes of Ursea. There's nothing fun about this game at all. It just plays horribly. You have to fly around over-the-shoulder with really weird controls and then shoot at something or other, it's not clear what, and it's impossible to keep locked on and honestly, it's not playable.

ilxgyd.jpg

And to end on an awesome note…

Every month, we’ll revisit a couple of games that you may have missed from months gone by. These games are lost in the depths of the Games Marketplace, pull them out of there!

Prismatic is a puzzle game with great presentation, and an excellent core mechanic. Set in a fairytale world with all the characters and style you’d expect from that, you’re tasked with bringing light to a number of orbs, bring light to all the orbs to complete the level.

Basically how it works is that you get a grid, and a beam of light. A set number of mirrors are at your disposal and you use them to reflect the beam of light so that it hits ever orb in the level. You also have prisms which refract light in all three directions. You’ve got a set number of pieces to complete each level which is where the puzzling comes in! A guide beam is available to see where light is being reflected but you can turn this off for an expert score bonus at the end of each level.

2XWeS.png

Special mention has to go to the sound. From its Peggle-like increasing pitch the longer you chain orbs, to the absolutely wonderful music that plays when you complete a level, it just sounds brilliant and makes solving a puzzle ridiculously satisfying.

=================

Pixel Boarder is stunning. It looks completely gorgeous, as you can see, but the music is absolutely astounding and it’s worth a trial just to hear it. I’d argue that it’s worth buying just to hear it more, but the game itself is excellent too.

But in no way easy.

Tc8UK.png

It’s a 2D snowboarding game, which you control with both thumbsticks. The left stick controls the left side of your body, and the right the right. You can either lean up, or down and the controls are analogue so get used to doing it in degrees. It takes ages to get used to, and even longer to get good at it. When you are though, it’s easily one of the most rewarding games on the service. And easily the nicest sounding.

Try not to let the trial put you off!

Previous threads, where all the older stuff lives:

The best Xbox LIVE Indie games of August 2010 | Gravitron 360
The best Xbox LIVE Indie games of July 2010 | PLATFORMANCE: Castle Pain
The best Xbox LIVE Indie games of June 2010 | Old School Racer
The (old) XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Releases this month by date:

September 1st

Treasure Treasure: FFEE
radiangames Inferno

September 2nd

Ninja VS. Zombie
Trapped

September 4th

Human Invasion

September 5th

Jewel Dervish

September 6th

Techno Kitten Adventure

September 7th

Pure Carnage
VEXIS (Buckshot Games)
Juggle!
Divided Combat
イグニッションフォース
Evacuation
アバター アップ オ
That Orange Guy
Madam Zhen's Tent of MYSTERY!

September 8th

Neighbourhood is GANG INFESTED
Jimbo Vs Legion of Darkness
Holy Moley

September 9th

Blockey
Angry Robot Rampage
360 Megapack HD Remix
Abaddon: Retribution
Old School Adventure

September 11th

Action Arcade Wrestling
Snailien Invasion!
Autospira

September 13th

Mama & Son - Clean House
へっぽこ騎士
Cattle Crashers

September 14th

September 15th

Hypership Out of Control
Ricochet Assassin

September 16th

FS Racing

September 17th

Notebook Shooter

September 18th

Figment
Dossun World
Isagoras

September 19th

Jungle (Animal Chess)
Walketh

September 21st

ArchRobo, Robotic Annihilation

September 22nd

Didgery
Demo Durb

September 23rd

Aurelia
Ant Mission
Anti-aircraft Warfare
Nuclear Wasteland

September 24th

A Shooter
xTreme Surfer x

September 25th

Extreme Jigsaw Madness

September 26th

Starchon

September 27th

Storm

September 28th

Jungle Friendzy

September 29th

FUNNY MINI GOLF
HakoSekai

September 30th

Break the Invaders
Tank Battles
RAID
The Tribes of Ursea

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm having a weird problem, none of the assets from download.xbox.com. If it's not just me and other people are having it true, mind considering rehosting the screenshots? I know it's unwanted extra work. :/

Stumpokapow said:
I'm having a weird problem, none of the assets from download.xbox.com. If it's not just me and other people are having it true, mind considering rehosting the screenshots? I know it's unwanted extra work. :/
That is very weird, I see them fine!

Peff said:
I rehosted the images in imgur if you want to use them
Replaced them with these anyway, thanks for rehosting them :D

Rlan

Gameloft's Tank Battles is now available on XBLIG. It was a PSN exclusive title released back in September 2009, and now is on XBLIG for 400MSP. Has online multiplayer and everything.

It's a nice little game based on Atari 2600's Combat, and has online multiplayer for up to 4 players.

xboxboxart.jpg

screen1_Web.jpg

screen4_Web.jpg

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550674

It's great to see a company like Gameloft actually supporting XBLIG (though I guess it's because Microsoft passed on it). It'd be awesome if Gameloft starts supporting Windows Mobile 7, and therefore start quickly porting some of their games back to XBLIG, and become big players in that market.

Aight, I'll weigh in on the demos I downloaded.

Ninja VS. Zombie: OP is right, punching zombies into a wall of spikes is fun. In fact, I'd be happier if the game had less puzzles and more of punching zombies into walls of spikes. I bought it anyway and rated it at 3 stars.

Old School Adventure: What the fuck is this shit. First impression: With the big-headed protagonist and shadowy opening scene, this is a shitty Braid wannabe. Second impression: Jumping/falling controls are terrible, and there are insta-death spikes everywhere. Sure, I more or less learned the weird jumping physics pretty quickly, but this game reeks of someone not knowing how to program a platformer worth a damn. Third impression: More spikes, doors leading all over the place. I've had enough already. I rated this at 2 stars and I feel like I'm being generous. Did not buy.

Juggle!: OP is correct, this makes a very clever user of avatars. Cool audio. Nice retro feel. Fortunately, I happen to enjoy gameplay involving juggling lots of shit with a paddle. 240 points seems a little steep when there are plenty of better games for 80, but I bought it anyway. 3 stars.

radiangames Inferno: This game is sexy. OP was right again about this one, but I'll paraphrase him: this has all the stuff that made Gauntlet fun, and doesn't have any of the stuff that made Gauntlet annoying. Great upgrade system, great shooting action, great shield sytem, great health system, great drone system. Great graphics, great audio. THIS IS A GOOD GAME. Bought. 5 stars.

Treasure Treasure: FFEE: I love the aesthetic. I'm saving this one for when I'm in the mood for this sort of puzzle action. I gave the trial 4 stars in the meantime.

Hypership Out of Control: Seems pretty rad. I bought it but haven't played it that much yet. Gave it 4 stars.

sciplore

Not going to lie wrote Hypership off the first time I saw it because I thought it would be just some "old little shooter" but it is actually awesome. Shame it will not get the sells it deserve the game is ace.

Seph13

Neo Member
Another great XBLIG thread. I'm really happy about Remix's bronze award!

Also, the Hypership sales are apparently awful. The developer posted them on the creators club site: less than 300 sales in the first ten days. I know Reach just came out, but those numbers are really sad. Supposedly this new dashboard update does some good things for the XBLIG channel, so hopefully we'll see improvements come November.

Seph13 said:
Another great XBLIG thread. I'm really happy about Remix's bronze award!

Also, the Hypership sales are apparently awful. The developer posted them on the creators club site: less than 300 sales in the first ten days. I know Reach just came out, but those numbers are really sad. Supposedly this new dashboard update does some good things for the XBLIG channel, so hopefully we'll see improvements come November.

Hmm.. Well he should update Hypership with the following:

A) Farting
B) Zombies
C) Maybe some hints about how to pick up a hot date.
D) Avatars

Anyway I'll throw in my $1 next time I'm on the 360. The game sounds cool and hey gotta support quality.

Feep

Banned
Wow! Some great stuff this month.

As always, the great thread is appreciated. I'll be picking up a few of these gems. :D

gunstarhero

Purchased Treasure Treasure FF, Hypership Out of Control and that crazy japanese game where you jump down a hot spring, and use your rabbit Bionic Commando style.

All awesome! Thanks toythatkills.

Hypership is going to make an awesome drinking game on gamenight.

Nert

Does anyone have any advice on how to purchase or find the soundtracks for some of these games? Based on the praise it's getting, I'd really like to check out Hypership Out of Control's soundtrack.

Nert said:
Does anyone have any advice on how to purchase or find the soundtracks for some of these games? Based on the praise it's getting, I'd really like to check out Hypership Out of Control's soundtrack.

Some developers release them free. Radiangames and Milkstone Studios do, for example.

So look for the developers official website/twitter/facebook/whatever. See if they've released it or mentioned who made it. Ask them about it if not.

Hypership's developer is on twitter if you' want to ask him: http://twitter.com/FunInfused

AzBat

Rlan said:
Gameloft's Tank Battles is now available on XBLIG. It was a PSN exclusive title released back in September 2009, and now is on XBLIG for 400MSP. Has online multiplayer and everything.

It's a nice little game based on Atari 2600's Combat, and has online multiplayer for up to 4 players.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550674

It's great to see a company like Gameloft actually supporting XBLIG (though I guess it's because Microsoft passed on it). It'd be awesome if Gameloft starts supporting Windows Mobile 7, and therefore start quickly porting some of their games back to XBLIG, and become big players in that market.

And to think it almost didn't get out of peer review. From not having enough reviewers for the multiple languages it supported to all the holier than thou attitudes from reviewers who wouldn't support GameLoft because of their lack of community involvement. I'm glad it finally passed just to give those reviewers the middle finger for choosing not to review the game.

Ventron

I'm making a turn-based RPG in XNA called Bonded Realities. It's going OK so far and I hope to get it out in a month or two.

nn07k4.png

2mdf0op.png

I discuss it on my blog and make regular posts to Twitter.

Hi all,
our game Excruciating Guitar Voyage came out today. I hope you don't mind me posting about my own game.....

Anyway, I hope people like it 'coz I think there's a lot more to it than the majority of the XBLI games out there... it's got storyline, a fully voiced cast, cutscenes, lots of puzzles, a choreographed ballad, stealth, action, adventure, and other stuff... even a nurse who loves watersports (like surfing, 'n stuff)
Here are some screenshots:
smallss1.png

smallss2.png

smallss3.png

oh, and there's a trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG40aGY_NpQ
:)

EDIT:
and the marketplace link!!!

floatstarpx said:
Excruciating Guitar Voyage came out today. I hope you don't mind me posting about my own game.....

Anyway, I hope people like it 'coz I think there's a lot more to it than the majority of the XBLI games out there... it's got storyline, a fully voiced cast, cutscenes, lots of puzzles, a choreographed ballad, stealth, action, adventure, and other stuff... even a nurse who loves watersports (like surfing, 'n stuff)

and the marketplace link!!!
I really liked it. It looks totally unique (photorealistic graphics!) and looks great in motion, with the colours and stuff just creating an awesome mood.

I would say though, that the trial doesn't show an awful lot, it feels like it's over before it's even got started. The promise of lots of puzzles is enough to get me to want to play more though, and I did get through the sewer at least though and really enjoyed even that much :D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ventron said:
I'm making a turn-based RPG in XNA called Bonded Realities. It's going OK so far and I hope to get it out in a month or two.

2mdf0op.png

I discuss it on my blog and make regular posts to Twitter.
This is good evidence for my theory that googly eyes make everything funnier.

With all the GAF XNA devs it might make sense to make a thread just for development tips. I made a shooter way back when with help from a tutorial and I've been thinking about picking back up with the latest version of XNA.

toythatkills said:
I really liked it. It looks totally unique (photorealistic graphics!) and looks great in motion, with the colours and stuff just creating an awesome mood.

I would say though, that the trial doesn't show an awful lot, it feels like it's over before it's even got started. The promise of lots of puzzles is enough to get me to want to play more though, and I did get through the sewer at least though and really enjoyed even that much :D

Cool! Thankyou, really nice to read feedback like this! :D

Yeah, it's a shame there isn't any control over the default trial time limit (at least its gone up from the original 4 minutes it was when the service launched!)... and we were pretty happy with the pacing of the opening in the context of the whole game, so we didn't really want to mess with it too much..

Really pleased that you enjoyed it!!

Coral's Curse, oh, I REALLY want to like this. It looks great and has a great idea behind it, you've been transformed into a snake thing and can control either end of your body with the left and right sticks. This probably opens up thousands of possibilities but it was just horrible to control and I didn't feel like I was getting any better. I'm disappointed. The game itself looks great and there's a map which implies that it's massive, I just couldn't get on with the controls at all. Should be brilliant, and will be if you can make it work for yourself.

U Want Cookie? is... good. It's a top down game where you have to navigate your guy from the start point to, obviously, a cookie. There are crumbs along the way to pick up and collecting all these gives you a load of extra points. Guns, fans, mines to avoid, it feels a bit like a top-down N+, in a way. Nice little score attack game that could really have benefited from online leaderboards, but is enjoyable nonetheless. I think it comes with some kind of achievements system too, but can't be sure.

Angry Brainless Bovines is a similar thing, albeit worse, in 3D, with avatars, and with sticky scenery. You have to navigate a maze collecting milk and avoiding cows. They don't appear to have a line of sight, and just chase you when you get nearby, so the stealth gameplay doesn't work so much.

Superspace 2 is Thrust, I guess. You pilot a ship and have to collect crates with your grappling hook, then carry them back to your base. I'd have liked to have seen more emphasis on bigger crates and how they affect your ship's flight, etc, as as far as I got in the trial the crates didn't have much effect on that. There's some narrow passageways to navigate though so even a small amount of sway like that can cause problems later. It's worth a try, but Gravitron 360 is better.

Sniper Defense is horrendous. Move a crosshair around and shoot slow moving mutants. Looks rubbish, and plays so so boringly. There's no substance at all.

In Summer Breeze you move a little thing around to stop leaves hitting the floor, hovering underneath them pushes them up a bit. It's literally impossible to play well because the cursor moves too erratically, and there's far too many leaves to deal with, too far apart. Just can't be done.

GO is a game I don't know how to play. I think I got the basics but then I filled the board up with black tiles and the game didn't end, so I don't know what I'm meant to do. I can only assume that it's competent enough as a GO game because why would it not be? Analogue controls are useless though, so D-Pad for this one.

Snake Eyes is an interesting but ultimately broken take on Puzzloop. You can fire balls from anywhere in the chain to anywhere else in the chain, and have to match three. I tried to play it properly and failed miserably. I just started hammering the fire button from the same place over and over again and I did brilliantly. Oops.

In Hypership news, it's 14th top rated in the UK. Probably only needs a few more decent ratings to make it into the top ten now, if you've got a UK account and you enjoyed the game (which you will have done!) go rate it!

toythatkills said:
Coral's Curse, oh, I REALLY want to like this. It looks great and has a great idea behind it, you've been transformed into a snake thing and can control either end of your body with the left and right sticks. This probably opens up thousands of possibilities but it was just horrible to control and I didn't feel like I was getting any better. I'm disappointed. The game itself looks great and there's a map which implies that it's massive, I just couldn't get on with the controls at all. Should be brilliant, and will be if you can make it work for yourself.

I found the controls very good, for movement at least. Felt very snake like and I could climb and slither up things with ease.

The projectile seemed troublesome to aim, but for the most part I could just avoid enemies or ram them with the spike tail.

Gowans

Great post by Mommy's Best Games about waiting to launch Explosionade.
Really looking forward to it, hope MS get there shit together.

Great news--Explosionade is finished and ready for you to play! The bad news--I'm not going to release it till the Xbox Marketplace is less broken. Sorry, but I want the best launch possible, and when the Top Downloads list isn't up to date, it's a crappy time to release a game to Xbox Live Indie Games.

http://mommysbest.blogspot.com/2010/10/top-downloads-is-broken-delaying.html

gunstarhero

Really got hooked on Treasure Treasure FF last night! Remind me of Milans Secret Castle for some odd reason. Discovering new parts of the castle, what you can climb, push and carry, and the aesthetic all make up for a really awesome game.

I got 16 of the 21 treasures last night and had to call it quits - no save is brutal, but understandable since it only has one level.

I really hope the dev releases more castles - would be a shame to see it end after only one.

Thanks again for the recommend toythatkills!

HadesGigas said:
I found the controls very good, for movement at least. Felt very snake like and I could climb and slither up things with ease.

The projectile seemed troublesome to aim, but for the most part I could just avoid enemies or ram them with the spike tail.
I could move around OK, but I never felt comfortable doing it, if you get what I mean.

A definite one to buy if you get on with the controls, though :D

I think I might try to make a game for a quick buck. All you have to do is name a game "Call of Doody: Zombie Fart" and it can be awful and it will sell for months just based on that name alone.

Hey Neogaf, I was wondering if youd be interested in checking out the PC demo for our upcoming XBLIG "Doc Logic".

We really just wanted to make a classic platforming arcade game, something that would have been a fun game to play at arcades, similar to games like Donkey Kong and Bubble Bobble.

The most unique aspect about the Doc Logic Universe is the plot, which focuses on a theme not really explored in the game industry, and which I cant reveal! I can tell you that the sequel, Doc Logic 2, will be a metroidvania type game, which involves Doc adventuring through an 8bit and 16bit world.

We decided to release a demo now so we could get some feedback from the community, with the objective of simply making the best game we can. Meanwhile, we are working on the final boss fight, which is really a prelude to Doc Logic 2.

Doc_comparison.jpg

The PC Demo: http://bit.ly/doclogicdemo
How To Play Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOZR21Es_84
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYi21mVE5Kk
Dev Blog: http://doclogicdevblog.blogspot.com
www.cosmiclogic.ca

What do you guys think? Any feedback you can give us would be much appreciated!

Parallax Scroll said:
Imposter! That's not 16 bit!

haha...good point! We had a 16bit style originally, and decided to scrap it for a full-blown hand-drawn style....guess we need to call it something else!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Host Samurai said:
I think I might try to make a game for a quick buck. All you have to do is name a game "Call of Doody: Zombie Fart" and it can be awful and it will sell for months just based on that name alone.
Pretty much.

Gowans007 said:
Great post by Mommy's Best Games about waiting to launch Explosionade.
Really looking forward to it, hope MS get there shit together.

People keep buying the top 10 games because they have greater visibility. How would you fix this? Some sort of artificial weighting that makes older games sink down the rankings?

Dr Zhivago said:
People keep buying the top 10 games because they have greater visibility. How would you fix this? Some sort of artificial weighting that makes older games sink down the rankings?

That's not really a problem, or what the complaint is.

The problem is the list doesn't update at all right now.

Top Bottom