• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Most played NA Charts (3/6- 3/13)

VertigoOA

Banned
Player engagement is one of the most important stats today. These charts are an accurate metric of what is being played. These charts are updated daily and show a game’s positioning after a week’s worth of data.

Link data will change daily.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox

Ranking as of this morning:

1. Fortnite. (F2p)
2. Apex Legends (f2p)
3. NBA 2k19
4. Black Ops 4
5. Rainbow Six
6. GTAV
7. Roblox (f2p)
8. The Division 2
9. Minecraft (gamespass)
10. Ark: Survival Evolved (gamespass)
11. Destiny 2
12. Rocket League (gamespass)
13. RDR2
14. PUBG (gamespass)
15. Madden 19

Observations.

Division 2 did not make a huge splash on its debut. Did not crack the top 5. It would be interesting to see if the raid will do anything — it’s taking a bit too long for it to launch.

What’s more impressive is destiny holding strong. Remove the free to play and gamespass games it would be the 6th most popular paid for game being played on console even during a quieter content period.

How about it’s other competitors? Anthem dropped like a rock. It’s currently ranked 32nd with fallout 76 at 29th. Fallout has begun climbing upwards (deserves it too - don’t sleep on it).

Borderlands 2 also has risen to 20th right behind the struggling battlefield v.

Last edited:
Based on how this is measured, this really doesn't tell us anything, and "most played" is a slightly misleading term. The trueachivements list actually gives us more info and that's just as lacking.

Fbh

That’s some pretty shitty taste right there. I mean, you have Ori on the Xbox, which fucking poops on all those games except for GTA

The list is crap.
But Ori is like 4 years old and you can beat it in less than 10 hours. A game like that will never be able to compete with multiplayer games that you can't "beat". There's probably thousands of people spending more time in COD or Fortnite every week than how long it takes to beat Ori

Shin

Banned
PUBG at 14 is interesting, the whole BR craze is unpredictable.
One moment you're on top the other you're on your way out.

DiscoJer

Game lists like that make you realize we're living in a cyperpunk style dystopia, ruled by megacorps and people just consume whatever pap given to them

HeresJohnny

The list is crap.
But Ori is like 4 years old and you can beat it in less than 10 hours. A game like that will never be able to compete with multiplayer games that you can't "beat". There's probably thousands of people spending more time in COD or Fortnite every week than how long it takes to beat Ori
Yeah, I guess that's true. The platform needs more content like Ori and less of the BR flavor of the month stuff.

Klayzer

I love basketball it’s my main sport. Unfortunately every new 2k is worse than the previous
2k has sacrificed the game for a bunch of My Player micros. Fifa, Madden, and NBA2k are nothing but madden card slot machine bullshit.

HeresJohnny

Does Ori have multiplayer?
Nope, that's why it's awesome. Every turd that gets shat out of development hell has multiplayer these days, it's nice to see a game rely on good old fashioned design to make a mark. In 10 years, no one will give a flying fuck about 90 percent of those games on the list, and none of them will be around because they're only potent for a short period of time, like a good fart in the wind. I feel old saying this, but multiplayer is a fucking toilet bowl.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
it's awesome seeing an incredibly high skill ceiling game at the number 2 spot

congrats to respawn, it's a crying shame titanfall never took off

fuck fortnite, what a piece of shit

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Looking at that list do you think it’s fair to say Xbox appeals to a much younger demographic than PS4 does? Free to play games strike me as something someone who doesn’t have a lot of disposable in come would play regularly. It might explain why even western third party games get significantly outsold compared the PS4. The audience isn’t old enough to care, parents won’t buy it for them, and only play games that their friends would play, which would be free to play.

Klayzer

Looking at that list do you think it’s fair to say Xbox appeals to a much younger demographic than PS4 does? Free to play games strike me as something someone who doesn’t have a lot of disposable in come would play regularly. It might explain why even western third party games get significantly outsold compared the PS4. The audience isn’t old enough to care, parents won’t buy it for them, and only play games that their friends would play, which would be free to play.
I don't know. Wasn't there a report on how the Xbox community spent more money on their platform compared to the others?

Foxbat

Banned
I don't know. Wasn't there a report on how the Xbox community spent more money on their platform compared to the others?

Yeah, Ubisoft has stated that Xbox users spend more money vs PS4 users.

As for the age disparity, does anyone know the most played games on PS4? I would imagine Fortnite and Apex would be right up there at the top as well. For Dabaus to suggest that this indicates a younger age for Xbox users, first he would need to know what the most played games on other consoles are.

People talk exclusives but apparently that's all it is, talk.
It's no different on PlayStation, talk, talk, talk. Sure the games sell well but their retention is nill. One might crack the top ten here or there but the reality is it's a multiplatform market and they're the most played and popular games.

PlayStation

31AwI2m.png

Xbox

tMMzJrp.jpg

demigod

It's no different on PlayStation, talk, talk, talk. Sure the games sell well but their retention is nill. One might crack the top ten here or there but the reality is it's a multiplatform market and they're the most played and popular games.

PlayStation

31AwI2m.png

Xbox

tMMzJrp.jpg

Exclusives matter, just because Xbox exclusives doesn't sell well isn't Sony's fault. Why you're trying to compare single player Sony games vs multiplat multiplayer games is beyond me. Single player games are one and done. Sony exclusives are normally frontloaded because people that want to play the game most likely already bought it, that's why sales stomps the other games. The only multiplat games on that list that even crossed 5mil on PS4 are GTA V, Minecraft, RDR2 and Fifa 19. By next year Sekiro will fall off that list. Six months from now Far Cry will. You're just jelly Sony exclusives sell over 8million.

Havoc2049

Nope, that's why it's awesome. Every turd that gets shat out of development hell has multiplayer these days, it's nice to see a game rely on good old fashioned design to make a mark. In 10 years, no one will give a flying fuck about 90 percent of those games on the list, and none of them will be around because they're only potent for a short period of time, like a good fart in the wind. I feel old saying this, but multiplayer is a fucking toilet bowl.
Well this is a chart that focuses on multiplayer games. Popular single player games will only show up on this chart in their launch window.

Ori has been a success and profitable for Microsoft. A sequel will be coming out soon.

There are multiplayer games that have a long shelf life and are fondly remembered by fans many years, even decades after release. The Master Chief Collection is still being played and fans have set up their own servers to play Phantasy Star Online. Ultima Online is still being enjoyed by fans. Fans are still updating Tecmo Bowl rosters and holding tournaments. I could go on and on about fans enjoying older multiplayer games.

Last edited:

theHFIC

could be mostly holiday buyers that couldn't get a PS4 due to availability or the past couple holiday sales where MS was practically giving Xbone bundles away.

VertigoOA

Banned
could be mostly holiday buyers that couldn't get a PS4 due to availability or the past couple holiday sales where MS was practically giving Xbone bundles away.

Since when does sony publish most popular charts?

(Edit: checked... they do not... it’s a loose ranking organized by bs filters like newest releases etc )

Sales charts vs popularity charts have a huge discrepancy. Both kingdom hearts and re2 sold well but they fucking tanked on most played lists. So it’s quite important to distinguish.

Any games in the top 40 are successful depending on the metric they’re measured. It’s fun tho

Ps - sekiro has held better than both re2, kingdom hearts and dmc (i don’t think dmc charted). Deservingly so too.

LONG LIVE SOULS

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned

You obviously haven’t played Apex Legends. That game’s appeal has nothing to do with its price. Game is just incredibly fun and addicting. Could’ve sold for $60 easy.

Top Bottom