• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Music Details

Just got this email from a distributor of mine:

The time has come... Microsoft is winding down its Zune brand and turning a new leaf as Xbox Music. This global relaunch represents Microsoft's move to make the games console the entertainment hub of the home, similar to what Sony Playstation did with their Music Unlimited service. The revamped service will offer free-to-user advertising-funded streaming, a single tier dual subscription streaming service, a scan-and-match locker service and ALC downloads.

First time I'm hearing that bit.

Ultimately, does anyone use their game console as a jukebox? It was something I tried back in 2006 but at this point aren't people pretty locked into using a phone/iPod and either wirelessly or physically connecting it to speakers?

I get that Windows Phones will use this, but the Xbox branding doesn't make much sense to me compared to video streaming services on a game console.

Mesoian

Ultimately, does anyone use their game console as a jukebox? It was something I tried back in 2006 but at this point aren't people pretty locked into using a phone/iPod and either wirelessly or physically connecting it to speakers?

I get that Windows Phones will use this, but the Xbox branding doesn't make much sense to me compared to video streaming services on a game console.

When I had parties at my old apartment, with my surround sound hooked up to my TV and consoles and such, I would put on Last.FM to entertain. It has it's place.

But now I'm in a new place with all my gear in my room, and the last party we had just consisted of us using my ghetto blaster while watching football. That worked just as well.

I'm not up on the latest in streaming music services - what is a "scan and match locker service?" And "ALC downloads?"

Edit: Google would have helped - it scans your library and shows matches on the service catalog. Still not sure what ALC downloads are though...

Honestly, I used to do that pretty often since my computer was in a separate room and you wouldn't be able to hear it as well. I don't have any wireless speakers and hooking it up physically to any speakers I do own would be more of a hassle then just turning the Xbox on.

In other words, in some situations it's pretty useful.

I use Last FM on the 360 to stream Christmas music during the holidays. That's pretty much it.

Bleepey

No, Zune required an external subscription fee for streaming of music. This is more like Spotify for consoles, which sounds awesome.

You can get Spotify on PS3?

There is an ad-supported music streaming service on PS3 and Vevo on XBL is behind Gold.

Dabanton

I do.

Last.FM works pretty well on 360 as I have my account linked to it so all my artist radios are up there plus I can change songs with my voice a simple thing but when you're washing up or in my case at the moment painting it's great.

But I would not say no to Spotify coming over seeing as I have a premium account with them.

I'm not up on the latest in streaming music services - what is a "scan and match locker service?" And "ALC downloads?"

Edit: Google would have helped - it scans your library and shows matches on the service catalog. Still not sure what ALC downloads are though...

ALC is referring to the distributor. It's just stating that Xbox Music will carry the music titles the distributor manages.

I would assume for anyone who has experience with them, it would be very similar to iTunes Match or Amazon's cloud music service.

krazen

Until they let you store existing digital content on the harddrive, its a moot point. 'Ripping' music in 2012 is passe, any customer planning on digitizing their collection has done so years ago. To go through all that work again because Microsoft wants to keep a worthless deterrant in place in the hopes that Xbox music can match it, lol.

JaggedSac

Until they let you store existing digital content on the harddrive, its a moot point. 'Ripping' music in 2012 is passe, any customer planning on digitizing their collection has done so years ago. To go through all that work again because Microsoft wants to keep a worthless deterrant in place in the hopes that Xbox music can match it, lol.

This isn't just for XBox.

Also, this is just Zune with a free streaming option.

Every once in a blue moon I run Pandora off my PS3's browser. That's about it.

NOW if you could stream in this service while playing games on the 360- that would be awesome. But I doubt that'll happen.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I do. More and more of the stuff I used to do on media server - I now do straight off the box.

Zune is great. I proably use it at least 3-4 times per week. It is basically the largest catalog of music I've ever had (And I've got about 2000 c.d.'s plus all my Vinyl), for only $10 a month. In my younger days, I used to easily spend $100 per month on c.d.'s, so this was a huge revelation to me.

Anyway, what I'm hoping is that it does not go the route of Spotify or Last.FM, meaning that it will no longer be available in Canada. I bet that will happen though. I think if it is going to be "free" that means in Canada they will have to follow CRTC regulations which means a certain amount of the music on there has to be Canadian, which MS will not ever agree to. Anyway, hopefully I'm wrong, because this is the only service like this available in Canada right now.

How does this service end up being "free-to-user" as well as"dual subscription"? Are the subscriptions free? What does the Dual refer to? Also what ALC bit mean? I'm more confused now than I was before I read this. I assumed they were just rebranding Zune as XBOX Music, but turns out I'm wrong.

see5harp

I use my PS3 to stream music all of the time. Last.FM is great if you scrobble. Once the next XBOX comes out with custom soundtracks including xbox music, this service will be pretty awesome. I don't use last.fm all of the time but it's what Apple tried to do with Ping.

watership

This isn't just for XBox.

Also, this is just Zune with a free streaming option.

I was just going to post this. Zune's music pass service was already pretty awesome. It's funny how people are saying it's just a copy of Spotify or Rdio, when it was like this already, before those services even existed. The problem Zune had before was that it was bound to a brand name already dismissed by the public and locked to MS only devices. There is nothing concrete yet, but a few analysts say it will be cross platform.

see5harp

I was just going to post this. Zune's music pass service was already pretty awesome. It's funny how people are saying it's just a copy of Spotify or Rdio, when it was like this already, before those services even existed. The problem Zune had before was that it was bound to a brand name already dismissed by the public and locked to MS only devices. There is nothing concrete yet, but a few analysts say it will be cross platform.

Actually I agree. I tried the free Zune pass thing after the new dash came out and it was a very good product. It was Rdio with a lot better looking interface for use in the living room. My only issue right now is that it's a separate thing from the custom soundtracks in game (besides that custom soundtracks have become really really slow).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Since this is a rebranding of the Zune Music Pass I'm going to assume it works like it does in my Zune software. In Zune it's called Smart DJ and basically I can click on a song in my library or on the marketplace and it will play a mix of similar music. Some of it is songs from my collection and then it mixes in streamed songs from the marketplace. It's a great feature and it helps me to find new music that is similar to stuff I like.

see5harp

Putting digital music on your actual hard drive is the silliest solution possible. You should be streaming from your network attached storage, PC, or the cloud.

PG2G

Since this is a rebranding of the Zune Music Pass I'm going to assume it works like it does in my Zune software. In Zune it's called Smart DJ and basically I can click on a song in my library or on the marketplace and it will play a mix of similar music. Some of it is songs from my collection and then it mixes in streamed songs from the marketplace. It's a great feature and it helps me to find new music that is similar to stuff I like.

Scan and match suggests something like iTunes match IMO

watership

Actually I agree. I tried the free Zune pass thing after the new dash came out and it was a very good product. It was Rdio with a lot better looking interface for use in the living room. My only issue right now is that it's a separate thing from the custom soundtracks in game (besides that custom soundtracks have become really really slow).

This the golden triangle: Streaming music service, while using the new Skype powered Xbox chat, while playing a Xbox game.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
this news has been known for probably half a year now (or more). but yeah they are rebranding zune as Xbox Music and Xbox Video. Music will still have the zune pass service (now called xbox pass), although this is the first I have heard of a free streaming option. Right now I think the confirmed platforms are just Microsoft ones, not sure if they will have streaming options to iOS and Andriod. And not much is known about Xbox Video besides the rebranding. Hopefully they create a subscription type service.

edit: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/xbox-360/xbox-music-preview-143344

they are also going to enable you to stream your music from your skydrive account at somepoint, ala google music.

PG2G

I wouldn't expect it to stream in the background until Xbox 8 comes out. It sounded like they were putting a fair amount of emphasis on multitasking based on the leaks.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Scan and match suggests something like iTunes match IMO

Well maybe I'm completely wrong :p

I had iTunes installed a few years ago but it was such a bloated piece of crap I had to stop using it.

see5harp

I never liked the fact that the Zune software for Windows was separate from the default media player. I'm not sure I like the XBOX rebranding unless XBOX is somehow super integrated into Windows 8.

Top Bottom