• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Next /Xbox 720 / Durango Patent?

onQ123

Edit: somehow the link to the patent changed but here is a link to the PDF of the patent http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...T=D&ND=3&date=20120621&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

SCALABLE MULTIMEDIA COMPUTER SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE WITH QOS GUARANTEES

Versions of a multimedia computer system architecture are described which satisfy quality of service (QoS) guarantees for multimedia applications such as game applications while allowing platform resources, hardware resources in particular, to scale up or down over time. Computing resources of the computer system are partitioned into a platform partition and an application partition, each including its own central processing unit (CPU) and, optionally, graphics processing unit (GPU). To enhance scalability of resources up or down, the platform partition includes one or more hardware resources which are only accessible by the multimedia application via a software interface. Additionally, outside the partitions may be other resources shared by the partitions or which provide general purpose computing resources.

BACKGROUND

[0001] A multimedia software application executing on a multimedia computer system often is provided certain quality of service (QoS) guarantees with respect to allocation of computing resources such as hardware, firmware or software components of the computer system. This is especially true for games. For example, there may be an assigned memory allocation size available to every game. A multimedia computer system may also guarantee that previous versions of an application such as a game will still run, so the QoS guarantees can exist for quite a number of years.

[0002] A multimedia computer system, particularly a gaming console, now typically provides common functions as part of the services of its platform. Examples of platforms are XBOX.RTM., the Sony Playstation 3.RTM., or Nintendo Wii.RTM.. Common functions are services which many types of games or other applications use or with which they are compatible. Some examples of common platform functions are display plane blending, display output recording, audio codec encoding, user device music decode and mixing, automatic camera based player identification, etc. Additionally, platform services may include functions which are independent of, but which run concurrently with, the multimedia application. As many games and other multimedia applications are interactive over the Internet now, the platform services may process the Internet protocol messages, provide online chat, friend invites, e-mail and support for social networking services. Both the platform and the application may use common resources for performing their respective functions.

[0003] As the forms of network connectivity supporting interactive gaming and other multimedia content keep evolving and certain processing aspects of applications become standard, the platforms provide more and more services over time for various applications while still being subject to the same QoS guarantees for these multimedia applications, thus increasing shared resource contention.

SUMMARY

[0004] The technology provides various embodiments of a multimedia computer system architecture satisfying quality of service (QoS) guarantees for multimedia applications while allowing platform services to scale over time. The scaling over time may permit new services or enhanced current services. Platform services may scale down over time as well.

[0005] In an embodiment of a multimedia computer system for providing consistent performance for an executing multimedia application in accordance with one or more quality of service (QoS) guarantees, the system comprises a platform partition of computing resources, an application partition of computing resources, and at least one shared resource. The platform partition comprises computing resources including a platform central processing unit (CPU) and a platform graphics processing unit (GPU). The application partition comprises computing resources including an application CPU and an application GPU. In some embodiments, the application processing units perform processing exclusive of executing instructions of a platform service application.

[0006] In some embodiments, the system further comprises a shared resource accessible by a platform partition resource and an application partition resource.

[0007] In some embodiments of the multimedia computer system, to enhance scalability of resources up or down, the platform partition includes one or more resources which perform processing for one or more platform service applications and the multimedia application but which are only accessible by the multimedia application via a software interface.

[0008] Additionally, one or more shared computing resources may comprise an additional CPU which may execute instructions for a platform service application or the multimedia software application to provide consistent performance for the multimedia application based on the one or more QoS guarantees for the multimedia application. In some embodiments, an additional CPU may execute a general purpose operating system.

[0009] Embodiments of one or more computer readable storage media having encoded thereon software which when executed by a processor causes the processor to perform a method for allocating a computing resource between a multimedia application executing concurrently with one or more platform service applications to provide consistent performance of the multimedia application based on one or more QoS guarantees are also provided.

[0010] This Summary is provided to introduce a selection of concepts in a simplified form that are further described below in the Detailed Description. This Summary is not intended to identify key features or essential features of the claimed subject matter, nor is it intended to be used as an aid in determining the scope of the claimed subject matter.

This matches the leaked Xbox 720 Documents & most of what we have heard.

Credit to Sonic on Beyond3D http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1655414&postcount=13360

axXYi.png

credit to phosphor112 for the images

IqM5L.jpg

jDFh6.png

qzfSg.png

FCBLm.png

PJ16b.jpg

7E0xN.png

dLooC.jpg

iPr19.png

XzUYj.jpg

U813S.jpg

Mact4.png

Grakl

A multimedia computer system, particularly a gaming console, now typically provides common functions as part of the services of its platform. Examples of platforms are XBOX.RTM., the Sony Playstation 3.RTM., or Nintendo Wii.

Huh.

Arkam

"[0008] Additionally, one or more shared computing resources may comprise an additional CPU which may execute instructions for a platform service application or the multimedia software application to provide consistent performance for the multimedia application based on the one or more QoS guarantees for the multimedia application. In some embodiments, an additional CPU may execute a general purpose operating system. "

That part sounds interesting. Makes it sound like there will be separate CPU (or just dedicated threads) for running applications parallel with games. Or at least that's how i read it. If its talking about thread(s) its just like the Xbox360... but if its an entirely separate CPU (prolly MUCH weaker) for System apps... that would be dope.

This second CPU could be something that runs always so a user can run Netflix or what ever app with out the whole box turning on. This way the box is "always running" like a cable box or NAS.

USC-fan

Banned
Anyway get the images to load?

Notice the talk about kinect.

[0031] The system 10 further includes one or more capture devices 20 for capturing image data relating to one or more users and/or objects sensed by the capture device. In embodiments, the capture device 20 may be used to capture information relating to movements and gestures of one or more users, which information is received by the computing environment and used to render, interact with and/or control aspects of a gaming or other application. Examples of the console computing environment 12 and capture device 20 are explained in greater detail below

[0036] As shown in FIG. 2, capture device 20 may include a camera component 423. According to an example embodiment, camera component 423 may be or may include a depth camera that may capture a depth image of a scene. The depth image may include a two-dimensional (2-D) pixel area of the captured scene where each pixel in the 2-D pixel area may represent a depth value such as a distance in, for example, centimeters, millimeters, or the like of an object in the captured scene from the camera.

[0037] Camera component 423 may include an infra-red (IR) light component 425, a three-dimensional (3-D) camera 426, and an RGB (visual image) camera 428 that may be used to capture the depth image of a scene. For example, in time-of-flight analysis, the IR light component 425 of the capture device 20 may emit an infrared light onto the scene and may then use sensors (in some embodiments, including sensors not shown) to detect the backscattered light from the surface of one or more targets and objects in the scene using, for example, the 3-D camera 326 and/or the RGB camera 428. In some embodiments, pulsed infrared light may be used such that the time or a phase shift between an outgoing light pulse and a corresponding incoming light pulse may be measured and used to determine a physical distance from the capture device 20 to a particular location on the targets or objects in the scene. According to another embodiment, the capture device 20 may include two or more physically separated cameras that may view a scene from different angles to obtain visual stereo data that may be resolved to generate depth information. Other types of depth image sensors can also be used to create a depth image.

[0038] The capture device 20 may further include a microphone 430, which includes a transducer or sensor that may receive and convert sound into an electrical signal. Microphone 430 may be used to receive audio signals that may also be provided to console computing system 12.

[0039] In an example embodiment, the capture device 20 may further include a processor 432 that may be in communication with the image camera component 423. Processor 432 may include a standardized processor, a specialized processor, a microprocessor, or the like that may execute instructions including, for example, instructions for receiving a depth image, generating the appropriate data format (e.g., frame) and transmitting the data to console computing system 12.

[0040] Capture device 20 may further include a memory 434 that may store the instructions that are executed by processor 432, images or frames of images captured by the 3-D camera and/or RGB camera, or any other suitable information, images, or the like. According to an example embodiment, memory 434 may include random access memory (RAM), read only memory (ROM), cache, flash memory, a hard disk, or any other suitable storage component. As shown in FIG. 2, in one embodiment, memory 434 may be a separate component in communication with the image capture component 423 and processor 432. According to another embodiment, the memory 434 may be integrated into processor 432 and/or the image capture component 422.

[0041] Capture device 20 is in communication with console computing system 12 via a communication link 436. The communication link 436 may be a wired connection including, for example, a USB connection, a Firewire connection, an Ethernet cable connection, or the like and/or a wireless connection such as a wireless 802.11b, g, a, or n connection. According to one embodiment, console computing system 12 may provide a clock to capture device 20 that may be used to determine when to capture, for example, a scene via the communication link 436. Additionally, the capture device 20 provides the depth information and visual (e.g., RGB) images captured by, for example, the 3-D camera 426 and/or the RGB camera 428 to console computing system 12 via the communication link 436. In one embodiment, the depth images and visual images are transmitted at 30 frames per second; however, other frame rates can be used. Console computing system 12 may then create and use a model, depth information, and captured images to, for example, control an application such as a game or word processor and/or animate an avatar or on-screen character.

Rhindle

Sounds more like an architecture for a server farm for streaming media and cloud servcies. You're obviously not going to have multiple CPUs and GPUs to re-partition in a single game console.

onQ123

Sounds more like an architecture for a server farm for streaming media and cloud servcies. You're obviously not going to have multiple CPUs and GPUs to re-partition in a single game console.

Where have you been?

Slide9.jpg

"[0008] Additionally, one or more shared computing resources may comprise an additional CPU which may execute instructions for a platform service application or the multimedia software application to provide consistent performance for the multimedia application based on the one or more QoS guarantees for the multimedia application. In some embodiments, an additional CPU may execute a general purpose operating system. "

That part sounds interesting. Makes it sound like there will be separate CPU (or just dedicated threads) for running applications parallel with games. Or at least that's how i read it. If its talking about thread(s) its just like the Xbox360... but if its an entirely separate CPU (prolly MUCH weaker) for System apps... that would be dope.

This second CPU could be something that runs always so a user can run Netflix or what ever app with out the whole box turning on. This way the box is "always running" like a cable box or NAS.

Slide36.jpg

it will be a Game Server, Media Server & More

onQ123

It seems this is why they're dedicating more transistor budget to CPU rather than GPU

yep but it seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel, I think they will release more powerful Xbox's that will play the games better than the cheaper systems like having a more powerful PC.

StevieP

Banned
I was just thinking the same thing lol

we need someone to dig deeper into this.

How bout a little insight from someone who works at MS (on their consoles)?
bkilian from beyond3d said:
No, see, when 360 launched, the XBox org was a "strategic bet" (Microsoft dumps tons of money into strategic bets - not all of them pan out). Now it's a profit center. It would be infeasible to reduce year over year profit growth. So selling hugely underpriced hardware now is going to be a tough sell.

But I wasn't referring to ancillary revenue. I was referring to direct hardware profits. The 360 launched with a roadmap to profitability using process shrinks and volume discounts. It's successor won't be so lucky. Process shrinks are getting harder to execute and energy efficiency is not linear with process size (much more leakage at smaller sizes).
Also, the customer focus has changed. People spend more time on 360 now consuming media than playing games. Sure, games are good, but what keeps that ancillary revenue coming in now is evenly split. You don't need a monster, power hungry, money losing superbox to provide streaming movies, and the games will adapt to the resources they have. A modest increase could be workable. Quadruple the memory, and even with no changes in CPU and GPU, the games would be significantly better.

If the rumors have any truth in them, both sides are aiming a lot lower this next generation that the previous.

So I was not saying MS is not currently making money on it's games business, I was just pointing out that your original statement overlooked the fact that the company may not be as willing to dump money into the ecosystem as it was last time around.

Izick

I am ready to hear what they have to offer. Not sure if I want to go with Xbox brand this time after picking up a PS3 late this gen.

abadguy

Banned
So...wonder if they are going to announce this at E3 or do another show like the MTV special they did for the 360. Guess CES is out of the question...

onQ123

How bout a little insight from someone who works at MS (on their consoles)?

that's nothing that I haven't already said. MS used the games as a way to get into the living room because a Sony all in one box for the living room was a threat to Windows as consoles became more powerful & internet connected, the threat to PC is that people would see the consoles as good enough & all the extra stuff that PC's have wouldn't make much of a difference to them. & now they are going to use the same thing against the Consoles by giving people games that are good enough so the extra power that another console has won't matter to people who see the Next Box as good enough.

which is also what GoogleTV & AppleTV\Console can use to take over the living room especially GoogleTV because they can make there way into the living room through the TV & now cloud gaming can give people games that are good enough so that makes the TV the next big threat to MS so I'll expect them to make their way into the TVs like Google or start making their own TVs in the near future.

Before I read the whole thing... is this why they have so many damn cores? Just put a core and memory into groups? Need to scale up? Unlock this little fella here! So the code can work pretty much anywhere?... is that what this thing is getting at?

EDIT: I'm probably wrong as hell... I'll keep reading.

yep but it seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel, I think they will release more powerful Xbox's that will play the games better than the cheaper systems like having a more powerful PC.

So... they're going into the incremental hardware market? Is this what I'm reading? Get perfectly scalable (lol) hardware and increase better hardware over time that still does the same old shit?

I'm not too sure if I'm getting this right...

By the way... Jeff Rigby is going to go nuts over this.
He did point out that the future is "building blocks" in hardware.

USC-fan

Banned
I guess it's too many words or people don't realize what they are seeing.

Should have put xbox 720 > PS4 in the title or something.

BTW this is what most developing are putting out there so x720 is going to be a beast going by leak PS4 specs. Hope sony steps it up....

onQ123

Before I read the whole thing... is this why they have so many damn cores? Just put a core and memory into groups? Need to scale up? Unlock this little fella here! So the code can work pretty much anywhere?... is that what this thing is getting at?

EDIT: I'm probably wrong as hell... I'll keep reading.

So... they're going into the incremental hardware market? Is this what I'm reading? Get perfectly scalable (lol) hardware and increase better hardware over time that still does the same old shit?

I'm not too sure if I'm getting this right...

By the way... Jeff Rigby is going to go nuts over this.
He did point out that the future is "building blocks" in hardware.

DesignCon Keynote Speaker AMDs Joe Macri on Heterogeneous Computing

???

I guess it's too many words or people don't realize what they are seeing.

Well usually someone more technical or in the industry would have come in here to break all this stuff down for us normal folk....no such luck so far.

From what I have skimmed it looks like the neXtBox will be a video game streaming NAS media powerhouse.

onQ123

Dumb it down for us dude

the new Xbox will be a full time entertainment center with a GPU/CPU for gaming & another GPU/CPU for media center stuff like DVR & streaming movies to other devices in your home or even on the go over the internet & even if you are using the TV to watch something that you DVRed with the Next Box someone else can be steaming a Xbox game from the console to their tablet & none of this should interfere with the other because they will be using different GPUs\CPUs .

& because they have different CPUs\GPUs Microsoft can release a newer model with a better CPU/GPU for the media\Computer stuff without breaking any games.

it's like a Computer duct taped to a Console.

the new Xbox will be a full time entertainment center with a GPU/CPU for gaming & another GPU/CPU for media center stuff like DVR & streaming movies to other devices in your home or even on the go over the internet & even if you are using the TV to watch something that you DVRed with the Next Box someone else can be steaming a Xbox game from the console to their tablet & none of this should interfere with the other because they will be using different GPUsCPUs .

& because they have different CPUsGPUs Microsoft can release a newer model with a better CPU/GPU for the mediaComputer stuff without breaking any games.

it's like a Computer duct taped to a Console.
How many gamecubes duct taped together is that?
Sounds neat.. But that would severally limit the game hardware =\

adelante

So...my take away from all this is that they're gonna be following a business model not unlike what Apple has done with their iphone/ipad, and therefore release a new version of the console every couple years? Games will be made with the original spec in mind, but will also benefit from any new hardware resources thrown into the next upgraded console? I'd understand why they're not willing to make such a big leap into next-gen if that's the case because for this model to be sustainable each console version that they put out there needs to be relatively affordable...

I think it will really depends on what the secondary hardware will even be.... For all we know they could be throwing the Corona APU in there as the second CPU/ GPU. That would allow XBox360 backwards comparability, as well as additional processing for media center stuff. But then again, everything would have to be made for power PC architecture... so perhaps not.

Anyway... sounds like a confirmation for the so called "Xbox 8" console rumor.

Proelite

Doesn't make sense for them to have two sets of CPU/GPUs. It would be much cheaper to have the more powerful CPU/GPU partially reserved to do the multimedia stuff.

The only way this would make sense is if they're also releasing standalone machines, aka tablets, with only the weaker CPU/GPU set.

saunderez

So...my take away from all this is that they're gonna be following a business model not unlike what Apple has done with their iphone/ipad, and therefore release a new version of the console every couple years? Games will be made with the original spec in mind, but will also benefit from any new hardware resources thrown into the next upgraded console? I'd understand why they're not willing to make such a big leap into next-gen if that's the case because for this model to be sustainable each console version that they put out there needs to be relatively affordable...

That's not what they mean by scaling. In this case they're using the term scaling to mean allocation of resources. Specifically it's talking about a segregated OS and Application design, each running on their own hardware (possibly sharing a RAM pool). The OS hardware will be low power and always on, the Application hardware will be significantly more powerful and only "scale up" when needed.

onQ123

people don't seem to be getting what me ,StevieP & BG have been saying for the last month or so.

The Next box is powerful but all that power will not be for games & they plan for it to be about 4X to 6X to Xbox360 when it come to games while being the best media device you will have in your home.

at 1st sight when you see the Next Box specs you will be saying "holy shit!" but the more you learn about it your realize that the 2 CPUs \ GPUs & 8GB of ram are not just there for Video Games.

saunderez

Doesn't make sense for them to have two sets of CPU/GPUs. It would be much cheaper to have the more powerful CPU/GPU partially reserved to do the multimedia stuff.

It's not like it's going to be 2 sets of PC spec CPUs/GPUs. The OS partition will likely be a low power SoC similar to mobile phones. These parts are extremely cheap as evidenced by the existence of Raspberry Pi and other low power ARM based devices.

Valnen

people don't seem to be getting what me StevenP & BG have been saying for the last month or so.

The Next box is powerful but all that power will not be for games & they plan for it to be about 4X to 6X to Xbox360 when it come to games while being the best media device you will have in your home.

at 1st sight when you see the Next Box specs you will be saying "holy shit!" but the more you learn about it your realize that the 2 CPUs \ GPUs & 8GB of ram are not just there for Video Games.

That's...horrible. The main purpose of a game console is first and foremost to play games. As much resources as possible in the system should be dedicated to making the gaming experience better, everything else should be secondary.

saunderez

That's...horrible. The main purpose of a game console is first and foremost to play games. As much resources as possible in the system should be dedicated to making the gaming experience better, everything else should be secondary.

Running the OS on it's on hardware partition means the rest of the hardware is dedicated to playing the game. As it is now the 360 OS uses some CPU and some RAM even while you're playing a game. How is the partitioned hardware setup not an advantage?

welcome to the FUTUREUEURUERUERUERE. Srs though this was always MS goal.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.

While I do agree with your point, anecdotally; me and my partner spend far more time watching Netflix on the PS3 than playing games on it, not that we don't play a lot of games on it.

USC-fan

Banned
people don't seem to be getting what me StevenP & BG have been saying for the last month or so.

That goes against what devs are saying. Lherre said ps4 will be 10x ps3 and Xbox will be even More powerful.

Valnen

Running the OS on it's on hardware partition means the rest of the hardware is dedicated to playing the game. As it is now the 360 OS uses some CPU and some RAM even while you're playing a game. How is the partitioned hardware setup not an advantage?

Because if you used all that hardware for the games you could have even more impressive games. Which is the entire point =/.

Top Bottom