Xbox October Update.

Jan 7, 2018
Dolby vision is very welcome. Hopefully games start offering options of which HDR you want to use. Also, my Amazon Prime Video app on my smart tv uses dolby vision. Great job MS.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jun 9, 2004
www.eurogamer.net
Ok, DV support isn’t what I’d hoped for. My TV’s apps already support this for Netflix and the like (and feature a faster, superior interface) so I was hoping the Blu-Ray app would also support DV. It doesn’t. :-(

I’m looking into getting a stand-alone UHD player now but they sure aren’t cheap if you’re looking for a good feature-set!

Mar 10, 2013
The Netherlands
Ok, DV support isn’t what I’d hoped for. My TV’s apps already support this for Netflix and the like (and feature a faster, superior interface) so I was hoping the Blu-Ray app would also support DV. It doesn’t. :-(

I’m looking into getting a stand-alone UHD player now but they sure aren’t cheap if you’re looking for a good feature-set!
Oohh, completely forgot about that. Now it somewhat makes sense that they only talked about Netflix when talking about DV. Still it's kind of strange that they haven't yet updated the blu-ray app to be DV compatible. Could it be coming in a future update as it's the one major advantage stand-alone players have left (well outside dedicated audio out)?

Feb 8, 2018
Germany
Well... the new avatars are ugly. The old ones are a bit better because they had less detail (sometimes less is more).
Dolby-Vision support is great, but on the other hand, every TV that supports Dolby-vision has e.g. a Netflix app, so without game support this feature is only good if you use the UHD BR player.

Voice control… really not something I want. I hate it to speak to electronic devices.

Jun 27, 2018
Well... the new avatars are ugly. The old ones are a bit better because they had less detail (sometimes less is more).
Dolby-Vision support is great, but on the other hand, every TV that supports Dolby-vision has e.g. a Netflix app, so without game support this feature is only good if you use the UHD BR player.

Voice control… really not something I want. I hate it to speak to electronic devices.
Absolutely. I much prefer a stability update.

Jul 7, 2018
The new avatars are horrendous. Laughably bad in places, particularly the male body shapes.

I think MS have lost the plot when it comes to software development. Public builds of Windows 10 and the Xbox One OS feel like perpetual unpolished betas designed by people whose only UI/UX design experience is "I once made a skin for Winamp 2". Ugly, unpolished, lacking performance, buggy. I would LOVE some stability/performance/polish updates instead of them piling on more features that I couldn't give a flying fuck about. Likewise with Windows 10.

On the old 360 days, the avatars actually had a point. They were there in your face when you booted the console on. You played with them. You had them in games.

Whats the point now? The xbox dash, while I do believe is better than the PS4 one for my own personal needs, is too bare bones for them. So... why?

Jan 24, 2015
No DV support for uhd discs.
Wtf is even the point streaming 4k is not even as high bandwidth wise as an old bluray