• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One’s Game DVR, SmartMatch, NFL, TV Guide Restricted To Xbox Live Gold Members

Flai

Why do people keep saying that even though Sony continues to demonstrate that they lockout less things behind their Paywall than MS?

Well, MS is confirming that features are behind paywall, while Sony sits silent and not confirm anything :)

Of course it will. These things are server-intensive, and that's been the big reasoning for why players should pay for Gold. This is a chance for Sony to differentiate, but we'll see. On one hand they've built the box from the ground up to be social, per Cerny. On the other, you've got to toss a lot if resources at the back end to make it work, and PSN still isn't on par with Live.

Tamanon

Banned
Wait, would that mean it would require an internet connection for the DVR feature? I thought it would be done locally, not over the internet. I've not kept up with the precise implementation though.

BigDug13

Well, MS is confirming that features are behind paywall, while Sony sits silent and not confirm anything :)

Do you have your ears plugged? They've come out and said media features are not behind Paywall. They came out and said group chat is not behind Paywall. So because they're not rushing to the microphone everytime MS says something in order to keep pace, that is remaining silent?

Barzul

Makes sense, Microsoft is trying to incentivize people to sign up for Gold. Locking some of these features has clearly worked for them this Gen. I would however like subscription apps like Netflix get in front of the paywall.

Well since the 360 already has pretty much every worthwhile feature behind a paywall, it was to be expected that the Xbone would be the same.

Microsoft doesn't want customers with little disposable money, be glad they allow you to play offline I guess.

Novak

Is this only for real-time streaming to twich tv or everything (event triggered videos, 5 minute local saves, etc).

Kyon

Banned

huh I guess Yosp and other Sony execs confirming things like

F2P games and Subscription based MMOs not being behind a paywall as well as all media apps like Netflix and Hulu didnt happen.

Oh and Party/Cross game chat being free too
i4lBmK5EcvI1t.gif

Guymelef

Sony shouldn't charge for that, at least as far as we know how Share works.

Microsoft's word on DVR is that the videos are stored in his cloud.
With PS4 if you stream you use Ustream servers, if you share you use Facebook/Youtube servers.
They shouldn't charge.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe recording is free but to upload you need to be a Gold member.

That would make more sense. Still sucky, but makes sense since all the online stuff other than the marketplace has been behind the paywall for a long time.

Wizman23

Banned
The Xbox One is built from the ground up intended to be used with Xbox Live. Do people really plan on buying this thing without using LIVE? This is a non issue

NHale

Microsoft doesn't want customers with little disposable money, be glad they allow you to play offline I guess.

Well it's not like they initiatially allowed it...

And to be quite honest, there is nothing that makes me believe that they will not return to the Xbone initial plan. It's what they really want to do.

Pillville

It's not like you can do anything with the video other than upload it to the Internet.

Do we know this for sure?
I was kind of hoping that you could copy the video to an external drive and edit it on a computer.

I guess MS wouldn't allow this because you'd be able to upload it elsewhere for free then.
But if Sony allows uploads for free, then why not allow copying?

chemicals

Let it be said that if anybody has plans to get an Xbox One without a gold subscription needs to get their head checked.

VariantX

It shouldn't even be disappointing for any one. We can't even use our free apps as it is without paying them first. You can put discs in and play games and thats it, all other functionality is blocked off except demo downloads and store purchases. Its the way its always will be if you're dealing with Microsoft

farisr

The Xbox One is built from the ground up intended to be used with Xbox Live. Do people really plan on buying this thing without using LIVE? This is a non issue

Xbox 360 was intended to be used with Xbox Live as well. 50+ million owners do use it without a gold subscription.

Haunted

I'm baffled that they manage to make the XB1 appear even less appealing to me after all that's happened.

oh Microsoft

No surprise there.
Customers need XBL Gold to view Youtube.
Gold needed for game recording and sharing features? Of course!

Pillville

I let my Gold membership expire this year and I've been playing games just fine with Silver.

NHale

It's not like you can do anything with the video other than upload it to the Internet.

And since when you can't use the internet without Gold? You can download demos, games, videos without Gold, so it's not like Requires Internet = Gold feature.

Hoo-doo

Banned

More than half of 360 owners don't have Xbox Live Gold, right?
So there's your answer.

Steroyd

Not surprising given that this is what Microsoft does, but at the same time they should be focusing on adding value to the box, not the subscription, heck can I even call this adding value to XBL Gold.

Top Bottom