• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One’s Game DVR, SmartMatch, NFL, TV Guide Restricted To Xbox Live Gold Members

amnesiac

Sadly people will still defend this shit. I was already out when they showed that horrible launch event, but the Ps4 just keeps becoming the better console (consumer wise). I admit MS has some alright looking games, but no system sellers. At least for me, no system sellers.

None of the upcoming consoles have any system sellers, IMO. Biggest one is Titanfall.

TwistedMind

Neo Member
This is what I can not understand, on the 360 you can say what ever you want about how greedy Microsoft or whatever when they looked the streaming video services and that shit behind a pay wall. But with the xbox one and their philosophy of "all in one" you would think they would allow all the entertainment stuff for free so they can get bigger market of non gamers and establish their vision among bigger crowd.

Satchel

Banned
This is what I can not understand, on the 360 you can say what ever you want about how greedy Microsoft or whatever when they looked the streaming video services and that shit behind a pay wall. But with the xbox one and their philosophy of "all in one" you would think they would allow all the entertainment stuff for free so they can get bigger market of non gamers and establish their vision among bigger crowd.

Ssshhh, no logic, only profit now.

njean777

Just look at how MS has been the past 2 years, Logic is not in their minds right now.

I think they're trying to filter their crowd, not grow it. They probably see this always-connected vision as the savior of a troubled industry, though I'm sure they were banking on more support.

^ This. So.. we buy the hardware... and pay monthly to use services that hardware should do without need of monthly fee. Thats MS fair. This paywall for X1 features sounds as ridiculous and as much a scam as their online office packages.

IN&OUT

Banned
Cool, thanks.

Really?

Holy moly....I just noticed that my post attracted the....

901225.gif

Did I do anything wrong - (innocent face)

madmackem

Roku boxes aggregate content from all apps for no subscription fee. You search for something and it shows you which app has that particular piece of media.

Doesnt tvii on wii u do this too for free?. There is no way anyone can make a case for it being behind the paywall just the same as netflix youtube etc etc its ms trying to beef up why gold is worth your money nothing more nothing less.

Eusis

Eh, at the start of Netflix on Xbox he kind of has a point, it was still a novelty and perhaps if they kept that a one year Gold exclusive it'd have been OK. Problem is the justification quickly eroded as not only did other consoles get discs THEN apps but more and more devices do it. Meanwhile Microsoft acts like they live in an alternate reality where they were the only ones to do this and decided build on it by throwing more and more streaming services behind that paywall despite the fact MOST of them required subscriptions (those that didn't and actually are full exclusive to XBL I'll defend, but that's it) and as such were free elsewhere. It really is abhorrent to demand a subscription in addition to a subscription, and not because they're fundamentally tied together like HBO in a Cable package or Netflix along with Internet, especially given their intent with Live Silver was because they recognized how damn ridiculous that was with subscription games.

LCfiner

I’m a bit late to this news but, wow. The NFL and Live TV integration is tied to Gold? Two big items they had to push this box on mainstream, non-gaming focused users?

Oh MS. Such a greedy, unnecessary decision.

More and more, I hope the XO fails so MS will be forced to rethink their strategies. I don’t want their vision of online services to be the norm. They’re much worse than what the competition is offering.

The TV guide is more than just a listing of live tv shows. It aggregates content from all other apps. If Tivo an charge a monthly fee, why shouldn't Microsoft. IMO, The data Microsoft is providing is a lot more than Tivo's listings.
Here's where it gets crazy. The Xbox 360 functions as a Media Center Extender. A DVR.

Windows Media Center DOESN'T have a monthly fee. But a lot of the competitors do.

I'd just like to chime in once more, speaking to the "how could you own an Xbox without Gold?" crowd:

I don't play online much. Gold is a waste of money for me. I'm totally okay with them locking all online stuff (other than purchases) behind their silly paywall, because I don't go online on my Xbox for any reason other than buying XBLA games.

It's a game console. I play games on it. And I'm content to do so.

But the idea of locking an offline feature is absurd. I'm holding out hope that we can indeed capture, but just not share, without Gold. It would make more sense - and I would be fine with that. I'd just re-capture the "playback" with my own equipment. It's the eternal rolling 5 minutes that I'd love to have.

Estocolmo

Xbox One's TV Guide feature on Gold only? So I can watch TV through my Xbox One without gold but cant use the TV Guide feature?

Bsigg12

Xbox One's TV Guide feature on Gold only? So I can watch TV through my Xbox One without gold but cant use the TV Guide feature?

It requires an aggregation of data on Microsoft's part which I can't imagine being all too easy. The way it is set up is anything that requires the internet, and this requires the internet to pull listings from service providers based on your location, requires Gold.

So the XB1 is pretty gimped without a Gold sub huh. Guess that's one way to increase those subscription numbers.

I don't mind subscription models, but the way MS has always implemented Gold on the 360 (and now XB1) has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Yep. It's REALLY dumb.

At my most cynical I wondered if MS' original plan was to require Gold to even use the console. It seemed possible but very unlikely, but the more we hear about this machine, even after the 180 the more it seems like that might have been the original plan after all.

Required online, required Gold, easy.

The hard part for them seems to be opening things up, so their messaging is still confused.

At this point I'd love to read a behind-the-scenes/making of/gloves-off post-mortem of this whole fucking enterprise. It'd be fascinating.

At this point I'd love to read a behind-the-scenes/making of/gloves-off post-mortem of this whole fucking enterprise. It'd be fascinating.
If Dean Takahashi isn't already researching, interviewing people for, and writing his book on the subject I'd be very disappointed. It's going to be fascinating.

If they ask, all they're going to get are PR spin answers for all of them. "enhanced version on Xbox" or "a smooth experience you won't get anywhere else" (even if that's not the case) or "Gold provides much more value than the IGC because Cloud" etc.

Some of this was true for a while until apps started being released for every device under the sun. For example, until Windows 8 came out, the Xbox Hulu app was the only app I could use to watch Hulu on my big screen.

The desktop Hulu app was atrocious. Laughably bad. It was like spinning that wheel on The Price is Right just to watch a show.

It requires an aggregation of data on Microsoft's part which I can't imagine being all too easy. The way it is set up is anything that requires the internet, and this requires the internet to pull listings from service providers based on your location, requires Gold.
We can call bullshit on this then. You can do this for free with Windows Media Center. You just put in your ZIP code, your cable provider and it downloads the guide for you. This is publicly available data.

Top Bottom