• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One/360 original TV shows coming in Q1/Q2 2014

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's way more at the link if you're interested in their TV ambitions.

Variety said:
Developing original series for Microsoft has taken a little longer than veteran TV executive Nancy Tellem had hoped, but her first slate of shows will launch on the Xbox videogame consoles early next year.

“We’re hoping we will be able to put something up in the first quarter, at minimum second quarter,” said Tellem, president of entertainment and digital for Microsoft, at Variety’s Dealmakers Breakfast at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. The shows will be available on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One through Xbox Live.

“I’m incredibly ambitious and impatient,” said Tellem, who took the job to produce original content for the Xbox platform in 2012. Because of that, the time it’s taken to develop the first slate of series, including a high-profile project based around “Halo,” with Steven Spielberg producing, has been “slower,” but “reflecting on what we’ve done and what lies ahead, it’s been pretty good.”

Tellem was attracted to joining Microsoft after spending years at CBS and the CW, closely monitoring how content was changing websites and how millennials interact with it. “I was always looking for the next thing,” she says. “Technology and the transition that was taking place was incredibly interesting to me. It’s very exciting for me to be in this position right now and see how the business model evolves and how content evolves.”
Source: http://variety.com/2013/digital/new...ginal-shows-on-xbox-in-early-2014-1200953110/

Isn't Quantum Break sort of a TV show/Video game hybrid ? I am curious of where they take that too since it's not mentioned in the article.

Bsigg12

I will be shocked if that Halo project actually gets off the ground.

Since Microsoft actually has their own studio doing it, its going to happen. The Halo movie got lost in movie studio limbo and never took off. Here, they don't have to worry about that.

Isn't Quantum Break sort of a TV show/Video game hybrid ? I am curious of where they take that too since it's not mentioned in the article.

It's self contained on the disc. Think Alan Wake in that the game will be presented as episodes with live action episodes adding to the game content.

You Tell 'em Nancy!

I remember saying this exact same thing about that Peter Jackson Halo project all those years and look how that ended u... ooooh... wait.

Yep, I just don't think anybody's willing to put up the budget to make it work properly, any decent Halo project is going to be very effects heavy and its a big ask to green light something that expensive if it might flop.

Sydle

This can't be only for Xbox, can it? Do they mean the Xbox service, like how you can get Xbox Music and Video on pretty much anything?

In any case, I hope a 1 vs. 100 relaunch, as well as other interactive game shows, and an Alan Wake series are in there somewhere (I liked the live action shorts released before AW).

Alx

The hard part for her has been to explain to Hollywood just where Xbox fits into the new world of digital platforms.

That's no surprise, I'm not sure I understand their plan either.
It will be interesting if they manage to create another way to fund and broadcast shows, especially with the current situation that is far from clear on the direction it is going (Netflix or Amazon are hurting TV channels by broadcasting shows that were created and funded by the same TV channels... so if they kill them, they die too)

Opiate

I suspect that I will not be compelled by their original productions. I do not suspect they will be seeking esoteric fair.

satam55

Banned
Probably some crappy reality TV show that they already announced.

I keep up with TV & Movie news everyday. I also follow A LOT of the media who covers/reviews TV & film on twitter. If it anything substantial was about to come out in early 2014, we'd be hearing shit about castings, writer/producers being hired, a pilot, & etc.

We haven't heard shit expect about some reality shows, so it's probably 1 of those reality shows that were announced.

PROTONONE

Neo Member
I personally am pretty excited for what we might see come out of this. I just keep imagining an ODST sequel where the missions are released every week like Halo 4's Spartan Ops, but instead of cut scenes every week you get a half hour show featuring the same characters.

You could even even do things like branching story lines, so if you kill off a character in the game they are now dead in the version of the show you watch.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yep, I just don't think anybody's willing to put up the budget to make it work properly, any decent Halo project is going to be very effects heavy and its a big ask to green light something that expensive if it might flop.

it wouldn't flop

microsoft wanted creative control and a sizable cut (10-15% iirc) from the box office receipts.

studio would have still made money, for sure. but asking both means taking too much risk even when there's little at all. dedicating a $200m budget towards a film they don't have control over is too much.

If i were MS, I'd have bankrolled the film my self... then partnered with a distributor ...

$200 million to MS is basically nothing.

Alx

...what's a Millennial?

Currently, that would be teens and young adults.

Millennials, or the Millennial Generation,[1] also known as Generation Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends. Commentators use beginning birth years from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.

watership

I'm excited about the Halo series. I really enjoyed Forward unto Dawn and that was just a web series with a limited budget.

I'm frankly not expecting much from both Sony or MS on this.

With the exception of Halo that we've heard nothing of since the original announcement, MS seems to be doing the whole reality TV angle, which is meh to me.

Sony is apparently planning some Playstation programming as well, but I'm pessimistic that anything more than the B-grade team from STP being involved in it. The best of STP are going to do actual TV-shows, no way are we getting stuff at the caliber of Blacklist/BB.

I'm surprised they're choosing a TV show over a feature film.

A TV-show tied to Xbox makes sense.

Not so much a feature film. :/

Omega

Banned
Since Microsoft actually has their own studio doing it, its going to happen. The Halo movie got lost in movie studio limbo and never took off. Here, they don't have to worry about that.

he's talking about a game

Peter Jackson had some studio that was supposed to make a Halo game and never did. Wingnut or something I think

I remember back when I was on GameSpot, "Peter Jacksons AAA Halo project" was listed every year in the "Next year 360s lineup is better than PS3!" thread

Everyone is jumping on the "exclusive media movie/show" hook these days. Funny fact is at the moment they are working for Amazon and Netflix.

Sony was looking at the Order for "external media" too correct? Might be a next gen idea of having certain IPs go beyond the game. Have to see it works though as the audience may not be broad enough.

Now if MSFT makes media not connected to games at all, that would be interesting in its own right.

flkraven

Are these programs going to be part of owning an XB1 and paying for XBLG, or am I going to have to pay for these programs as well? I assumed that these programs were going to be the 'gravy' to an XB1 buyer, and function like Netflix but with your XBLG membership. However, I haven't seen anyone discuss how it will be distributed. Getting a little worried...

I'm really wondering just what kind of quality Sony and Microsoft bring to gamers. I suspect I will feel insulted by the effort (or lack thereof) later.

satam55

Banned
I'm frankly not expecting much from both Sony or MS on this.

With the exception of Halo that we've heard nothing of since the original announcement, MS seems to be doing the whole reality TV angle, which is meh to me.

Sony is apparently planning some Playstation programming as well, but I'm pessimistic that anything more than the B-grade team from STP being involved in it. The best of STP are going to do actual TV-shows, no way are we getting stuff at the caliber of Blacklist/BB.

Yeah when it comes down to it, it makes more sense for Sony Entertainment to make original programming it's own "Sony Movie Channel" network or some other 3rd-party network than for PSN.

Deku Tree

I hate this continued move toward fractured subscription based "exclusive" TV content. Give me pay as you go ala carte non walled programming please.

Top Bottom