• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

So, if you own a physical copy of the games and you then download a digital version of the game when you put the disc in can we get rid of the disc after that?

It's not the same as the XB1 where the game is installed from the disc and is then verified every time the game is started right? So, in theory we shouldn't need the disc anymore.

Microsoft is using DRM to prevent that, which comes in the form of a shiny plastic object that you have to annoyingly insert every time you want to play. Why do they inconvenience paying customers and tream them like criminals?? The data is on the hard drive, so there's no valid technical reason it needs to be inserted just to play my legally bought games!

ShogunX

New backwards compatibility games being added tonight
Halo 3
Halo Reach
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Wars
Fable II
Borderlands
Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Alan Wake
Shadow Complex

Your first post for a year is this? What the fuck?

Seems a bit too good to be true.

Hawk269

Microsoft is using DRM to prevent that, which comes in the form of a shiny plastic object that you have to annoyingly insert every time you want to play. Why do they inconvenience paying customers and tream them like criminals?? The data is on the hard drive, so there's no valid technical reason it needs to be inserted just to play my legally bought games!

Joke post??

Every PS4 and Every Xbox One has the data on the Hard Drive, you going to say that you should not need the disk for those? Would you not just need to rent a game, copy it to the HDD and never buy games EVER?

bndadm

Between the Rare collection and this, Microsoft finally got my attention to get a One. All I need is the Mass Effect DLC to be bc and I can make the transition.

Joke post??

Every PS4 and Every Xbox One has the data on the Hard Drive, you going to say that you should not need the disk for those? Would you not just need to rent a game, copy it to the HDD and never buy games EVER?

lol, yes it's a joke post. I just like poking fun at extreme "DRM is always evil!" positions (we just happen to be comfortable with the "shiny plastic disc" type of "DRM", even if the goal of it is the same: preventing illegally copied games).

This better be a joke post. All those #nodrm people killed that idea.

Defect

Bad-ass.

... but when is DLC coming? I mean, if I were to transfer my Borderlands saves over they'd become corrupted without the DLC... Sooooo... Surely it's coming, right?

I hope they get DLC install discs working too, because that's where my Borderlands DLC came from...
Yeah I'm sure dlc will be added soon.

Also, nice avatar ;)

Amazing if that list is true.

It just made me realise though, is Halo Wars available digital?

You can buy Halo Wars digitally.

ShogunX

2884825-2639320673-CHjkw.png

I imagine that list has been formed from this.

robotrock

Banned
If that list is legit, dope. I'll finally give Shadow Complex a playthrough.

Anyone manage to get Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts working? I can't even download it yet.

So, if you own a physical copy of the games and you then download a digital version of the game when you put the disc in can we get rid of the disc after that?

It's not the same as the XB1 where the game is installed from the disc and is then verified every time the game is started right? So, in theory we shouldn't need the disc anymore.
because Redbox and Gamefly need the revenue increase.

Halo Wars has a bit of a cult following. MS have left hints that they might do a sequel or something also.

Good point, I have heard about that before. So I assume this means the franchise is in Microsoft's hands and not the remnants of Ensemble? Because like I said, it seems that as soon as a company dies, Microsoft quickly sweeps up behind them because of any unresolved licencing stuff.

chemicals

This is a huge thing. In my humble opinion, This and the Rare collection were the two best things to come from e3 2015. And no I dont have an xbone.

FyreWulff

Good point, I have heard about that before. So I assume this means the franchise is in Microsoft's hands and not the remnants of Ensemble? Because like I said, it seems that as soon as a company dies, Microsoft quickly sweeps up behind them because of any unresolved licencing stuff.

Microsoft owns Halo Wars 100%

After Ensemble dissolved, Halo Wars updates were done by Robot Entertainment

The Flash

Banned

Well MS own Halo. Ensemble was just a studio they set up to make a RTS based on Halo. When Ensemble got shut down, Halo Wars status remained unchanged.

Maybe I should've said digital content instead of exclusively games. It mainly seems to be the case with old racing titles, because of car licencing stuff. Examples would be Forza 2/3 DLC, PGR 4 and its DLC (not sure if PGR 4 was ever downloadable though), Sega's online arcade titles come to mind.

Well MS own Halo. Ensemble was just a studio they set up to make a RTS based on Halo. When Ensemble got shut down, Halo Wars status remained unchanged.

Microsoft owns Halo Wars 100%

After Ensemble dissolved, Halo Wars updates were done by Robot Entertainment

Thanks for the clarification both of you. I knew Microsoft was the owner of Halo, but I wasn't sure if there was any sort of licencing over the RTS Halo, or something to do with the pre-Bungie-split-Halo titles.

Maybe I should've said digital content instead of exclusively games. It mainly seems to be the case with old racing titles, because of car licencing stuff. Examples would be Forza 2/3 DLC, PGR 4 and its DLC (not sure if PGR 4 was ever downloadable though), Sega's online arcade titles come to mind.

Ah, gotcha.

Thanks for the clarification both of you. I knew Microsoft was the owner of Halo, but I wasn't sure if there was any sort of licencing over the RTS Halo, or something to do with the pre-Bungie-split-Halo titles.

There actually wouldn't have been issues either way anyway. Ensemble was a wholly owned subsidiary of MS, so they owned everything they worked on, and there was no licensing involved. Just an internal property moving around internal studios.

I'm showing my stupidity by saying this but I didn't know xbox 360 DVD's worked in the Blu-ray drive. I just kind of assumed the discs were different sizes or something.

Excited to put Mass Effect in there.

SirKhalid

He probably saw that here.

http://thisgengaming.com/2015/06/17/future-titles-revealed-for-xbox-ones-backwards-compatibility/

As you can see some of the games on this image are already playable on Xbox One like Mass Effect, but some of the titles aren’t, but if Microsoft are promoting them it must mean they will be coming in the future. Here are the games on the image that will be available on Xbox One.

Halo 3
Halo Reach
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Wars
Fable II
Borderlands
Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Alan Wake
Shadow Complex

But maybe didn't read everything.

Top Bottom