• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

RoKKeR

Too bad about the list but ideally we get those sorts of updates every few weeks as they slowly test and improve the feature up to launch.

n0razi

Wrong. This is done completely in software.

So they are basically porting/rewriting/patching the 360 binaries? Sounds like a ton of effort for what im guessing a handful of titles that meet certain criteria

I dont think its even BC at that point, just a straight port

Shrubsy

Neo Member
Interested to hear if this works for anyone else that isn't in the preview program (and apologies if it has been reported, haven't seen it anywhere yet).

Note: I've asked for an invite in the preview thread, but haven't yet received a message or app to join the xbox one preview program.

I was able to access the BC 360 games on my Xbox One by doing the following:

1. Find a user who has played a BC 360 game on their XB1 (Major Nelson has Mass Effect in his list for example).
2. Make sure you are following them as a friend.
3. Go to your Friends tab on the xbox one dash and go to the 'Popular with friends' section
4. Find the 360 game and click into it
5. You should then have view in store, install etc options

This has worked for me for Hexic HD, Perfect Dark and Mass Effect (all digitally purchased previously)

joshwaan

Heaps impressed with this the games look really good and play very smooth.

Here's a few pics of the action.

20150618_114133_zpswvpvm43s.jpg

20150618_114305_zpsx336pxhy.jpg

TV is a Panasonic VT65 65" amazing TV :)

m23

Interested to hear if this works for anyone else that isn't in the preview program (and apologies if it has been reported, haven't seen it anywhere yet).

Note: I've asked for an invite in the preview thread, but haven't yet received a message or app to join the xbox one preview program.

1. Find a user who has played a BC 360 game on their XB1 (Major Nelson has Mass Effect in his list for example).
3. Go to your Friends tab on the xbox one dash and go to the 'Popular with friends' section

This has worked for me for Hexic HD, Perfect Dark and Mass Effect (all digitally purchased previously)

Nice find.

I don't imagine this would be much of an issue for PGR. MS also publishes Forza, and I don't think there would be many vehicles PGR has that Forza doesn't already cover. If anything I'd expect all that licensed music to be a bigger problem.

I mean, there was some reason PGR4 was pulled/not made available on GoD

Whoa, this should be added to the OP, that's quite a find. Well done!

Montresor

Imagine if Microsoft could somehow add a 360 marketplace on XB1?

I.E. You launch the console, and like usual you see the tile showing the XB1 deals of the week. But beside that is a 360 deals of the week tile. So without ever launching a 360, you could buy Super Meat Boy on sale, then launch the SMB app on XB1 and start broadcasting a fresh playthrough.

nillapuddin

When this goes live for good I hope they do like a roll back event and put up a ton of the past gwg 360 games, I know for sure I will be making sure to activate the new ones from now on

So they are basically porting/rewriting/patching the 360 binaries? Sounds like a ton of effort for what im guessing a handful of titles that meet certain criteria

I dont think its even BC at that point, just a straight port

Nope. Spencer did a whole interview on it. The game is carrying the 360 OS and when you boot the game it runs through a load of the OS. The games run perfectly for me and you can even bring up the guide because you are running the 360. The XBO just thinks you are playing a game.

Unlike what they did for the 360 Solution they are using on emulator here which reduces he amount of work needed. To get a game on the XBO, they tweak it slightly and wrap it in the OS and run some Qa and send it out
Check out he MS section of the giant bomb interview from last night. Full details.

shanafan

I wonder, if you unlock an achievement in a Xbox 360 game, does the Xbox One achievement UI pop up, or the Xbox 360 UI pop-up?

So in the press conference Mike ybarra said it takes very little work to port these and just need publisher approval.

I thought that was interesting, why would they need publisher approval for this?

Bizzquik

Imagine if Microsoft could somehow add a 360 marketplace on XB1?

I think that's the plan. To have titles available going back ten years....and a ridiculously-large games library. Then have 'Summer Sales' with 500 games discounted.

And hey - why not have unfinished games available for purchase, too, so that gamers can have early access to titles that they are interested in? (Xbox Games Preview)

I mean...it works pretty well for Valve.

So in the press conference Mike ybarra said it takes very little work to port these and just need publisher approval.

I thought that was interesting, why would they need publisher approval for this?
Im assuming it is because the user is downloading the game. If it ran directly off the disc then it wouldn't be an issue.

Hopefully they are designing this to scale to future consoles. With digital games BC seems more important than before and gives games longer lifespans.

Haven't actually tried this for myself yet. Can you use Xbox one party chat while in an Xbox 360 game?

watership

They have to modify the original game executable to add the 360 virtual machine. It's a very simple task but they probably need permission to add that and let us download the file.

Elitist1945

Because it isn't their game. They don't have the rights to go work on another company's product. At least thats how I see it.

It downloads a new wrapped copy of the game from their servers. Copyright law means that the publisher (copyright owner) has to approve any copying of the game, which includes downloading.

The initial license agreement they had for pressing games to DVD or putting them into the Xbox Live Games on Demand probably didn't cover the legal permission for doing what they are doing now, so they need a new legal agreement with the copyright owner of each title.

They have to modify the original game executable to add the 360 virtual machine. It's a very simple task but they probably need permission to add that and let us download the file.

Nope, no work is being done to the original executable. As Phil Spencer said, they're not touching the bits. Publisher permission is needed to make sure all the licenses are in place, since technically the game is being downloaded to a new platform

Nope, no work is being done to the original executable. As Phil Spencer said, they're not touching the bits. Publisher permission is needed to make sure all the licenses are in place, since technically the game is being downloaded to a new platform

So even if they had properly setup BC to be handle it like the WiiU there would be legal implications to downloading your digital copies?

Honestly this solution really only works for me with digital copies...I generally don't keep much old discs but having all my digital titles on one console is truly game changing.

MrMephistoX

Worked for me too! But I just got into the preview program too: where do you get the games normally? I'll be happy to launch them all tonight if anyone wants to add me to download the games using this method once I figure it out.

Top Bottom