• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

Chris1

o1HtcvR.png

More BC titles added this month

hom3land

If they were smart they'd announce now if any of the 360 games currently on sale will be backwards compatible. I'd be more confident buying some more games if we had an official word.

Nephtes

Apologies if this has been answered before...

Question: Assuming further optimizations are coming to the X360 emulator, and since this emulator is a wrapper for each backwards compatible game instead of being it's own application... Does this mean that each time they optimize the emulator, every single one of your backwards compatible games will have to re-download itself in its entirety?

Assuming you have a bunch of backwards compatible games installed, that could be a sizeable chunk of data to download.... And if so, my condolences for people with data caps.

TheKeyPit

Banned
"We are working to bring support for additional backward compatibility titles this month..."

I'll have to be sceptical. I think with "support" he means getting Developer/Publisher support this month to make the games available in august?

Plasma

Banned

Question: Assuming further optimizations are coming to the X360 emulator, and since this emulator is a wrapper for each backwards compatible game instead of being it's own application... Does this mean that each time they optimize the emulator, every single one of your backwards compatible games will have to re-download itself in its entirety?

Assuming you have a bunch of backwards compatible games installed, that could be a sizeable chunk of data to download.... And if so, my condolences for people with data caps.

If you go to manage game on one of the BC games there is 256mb of reserved space for saves that shows up as a tile on the side like DLC would for Xbox One games. It might just update that though I'm not entirely sure.

Probably. To be honest, people with data caps should probably avoid being in the preview program in the first place due to issues like this and the frequent system updates. If I had data caps and was in the program I'd be super selective about which BC games I decided to test.

JP

Really impressed with this, signed back up to the preview a few days ago purely because of this. My membership is still showing as "Pending" but just signed in to find that my360 games were waiting to be downloaded. Had a quick go on Banjo-Kazooie and it works pretty much spot on.

Can't see myself using it often but it's nice to have it for the two Banjo-Kazooie games.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Kotaku reached out to the bigger 3rd parties about what games are coming. A lot of no comments or something we are looking into
http://kotaku.com/we-asked-publishe...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Maybe Microsoft really surprised them with the announcement.

Ed Boon has at least confirmed Injustice and MK 2011, which implies that WB is on board as a whole. I would at least expect their bigger games like the Batman games. Bethesda is obviously on board, and EA and Ubisoft seem to be as well.

Anyway, The Fable Trilogy is for sale on XBL. That's most likely gonna be BC, at some point, surely?

Stevey

Keep in mind that certain games dont let you take screens or clips - its really rare but there are some. Gears of War beta doesnt let you for instance. Another example: Im pretty sure they patched Ground Zeroes so you cant record the cutscenes - when it first came out you could but it didnt let me the last time I tried. Perhaps to avoid spoilers in the game hub clips?

You can take screenshots in the Gears Beta

Myggen

Kotaku reached out to the bigger 3rd parties about what games are coming. A lot of no comments or something we are looking into
http://kotaku.com/we-asked-publishe...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Maybe Microsoft really surprised them with the announcement.

That article is pretty much a big bunch of nothing. The companies will naturally want to announce this themselves and not announce it in a big article in Kotaku, so naturally you're gonna get mostly non-answers. Doesn't mean much imo.

Pizza

This is the coolest damn thing! If someone wants to be a giant friend and invite me to the preview program my gt is Pizza Prez ;)

Can't wait to replay battleblock theatre!

Tumeke NZ

Banned
I've been wondering if we'll see any more games added and there it is. Hopefully they are things like RDR & FO3 or a heap of my arcade games I have sitting on my 360 like Shadow Complex and the Sega classics.
Have never played FO3 so want to give it a go before 4 lands.

Also gears 3 better come with the dlc

Looool.

I feel like you've missed the point of Games With Gold... the idea is to give you the base game, then get you to buy the seasons pass, it might even go on offer but no, given that there is no "GOTY Edition" (afaik) of Gears 3 it will just be the base game.

Enjoy!

LowerLevel

I've been wondering if we'll see any more games added and there it is. Hopefully they are things like RDR & FO3 or a heap of my arcade games I have sitting on my 360 like Shadow Complex and the Sega classics.
Have never played FO3 so want to give it a go before 4 lands.

I wonder if FO3 will be in a soon to be arriving batch myself. Kinda odd they sent out the FO3 codes so soon...

Persona7

Banned
Wow, Deadly Premonition is available digitally on xbox 360? I need to grab a digital copy. I thought it was in publisher limbo but it seems like Xseed published the digital version.

Chitown B

I thought the emulator was in a system update, and the games were larger due to wrapping them so that the X1 thinks they are X1 games and will play them? I don't know why they would need an update per game.

Chitown B

Wow, Deadly Premonition is available digitally on xbox 360? I need to grab a digital copy. I thought it was in publisher limbo but it seems like Xseed published the digital version.

says 9/13/2013 for digital release date....

But $20? come on. I'd try it for $8-10.

JP

This is probably going to be obvious but i'm somehow missing it. While playing a 360 game, how do I get the 360 dash up? I've updated the controllers but using the Xbox button either takes me back to the One dashboard (tap) or the power off screen (hold).

EDIT:
Nevermind, managed to find instructions in this thread. Hold Menu & View to bring it up.

This is probably going to be obvious but i'm somehow missing it. While playing a 360 game, how do I get the 360 dash up? I've updated the controllers but using the Xbox button either takes me back to the One dashboard (tap) or the power off screen (hold).

Press start and select or whatever they are called on Xb1 at the same time.

JP

Sorry if this has been covered already but I have Microsoft said anything about region locked 360 games yet? I have a UK 360 and have all the UK Cave releases as well as the games from other regions that aren't region locked but I'm wondering if this would allow people like me to buy and play the import games that are region locked on the 360?

tuco11

I know this is probably wishing thinking but backward compatible Skyrim with ability to play PC mods. Hey they are doing it with Fallout 4 eventually why cant it be done with Skyrim? One can dream.

U2NUMB

Guess I am confused why they even need publishers approval if they are running it on a virtual 360. Guess maybe it has to do with the store or a courtesy to them but I think we are going to be frustrated with the cherry picking of games publishers are willing to put up for this.

Either way.. with a massive library of 360 games I am eager to have more pop up and I am a little let down they have not already trickled these out weekly.

sangreal

Guess I am confused why they even need publishers approval if they are running it on a virtual 360. Guess maybe it has to do with the store or a courtesy to them but I think we are going to be frustrated with the cherry picking of games publishers are willing to put up for this.

Either way.. with a massive library of 360 games I am eager to have more pop up and I am a little let down they have not already trickled these out weekly.

One reason I can think of, is they are enabling a number of xbox one features that were not covered by the Xbox 360 publishers agreement, like streaming.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Probably a contractual issue. "You said you would sell it only here, not here AND here." that sort of thing.

And I can see where some pubs may not want people to be able to play them, ala Dark Souls 2 - because if you're remastering it, you MIGHT be losing sales.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They haven't been clear if it's some kind of licensing issue or what. The fact that requires you to download some or all of a game in order to play it might be part of it too.

The only other precedent set with this stuff was the PSP to Vita compatability, where not all games made it over. Since previously all BC was based solely on having and using the physical media, I guess there were no concerns.

Top Bottom