• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

Lodamercy. Fuck you MS, glad you're getting what you deserve. All this money spent could have gone towards a better system, instead, you give shitheads within your company more money to do what they shouldn't be in a position to do in the first place.

KDR_11k

Wait, isn't it illegal to take a bribe like this on a seemingly neutral (v)blog without disclosing that fact? That mommyblogger legislation should apply here.

LegoDad

gen just started a few months ago and it's already getting good
Injured_player_eating_popcorn.gif

Have to give props for using a #kstate gif. :)

Jamix012

I honestly don't get the uproar about this. Someone explain to me what the difference between this and, for example, paying for celebrity endorsement is?

Hmm I was going to say this is advertising at its core and relate it to Google but not even them are that shady to throw those crazy rules on their own products.

I believe this. I mostly do because Microsoft is an huge monopolistic company and that's the American way. It's not something Apple, nor Verizon and whomever wouldn't have done.

At least this way we'll know who the sell outs are. Seriously, leave to MS to try and pull something like this. Just when they starts getting some positivity going they have to go and mess it up. And then they wonder why there's so much hate for them? Come on.

I'm also pretty sure this is also some kind of illegal, no?

pixlexic

Banned
Have you read up at all on this issue?

no i am not really into the console wars thing. but to me its not a big deal ... its the same as xbox with doriitos or sony with taco bell.

it just means you can not trust you tube videos to be bias.. but could we really in the first place?

UberTag

This is where I full-stop no longer give any YouTube-dedicated revenue-dependent game critics any clout whatsoever. Or hits, for that matter.

Except for possibly Boogie2988.

Thank you for destroying a good thing, Microsoft.

KMS

So was this rule created by Machinima and sent to their members? Was it Machinima or the ad company asking people to basically to break the law?

I'll just assume anyone talking positively about Xbox One on YouTube is being paid by MS and never go back to their videos again. Thanks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't see the problem with this. All Microsoft is doing is paying and supporting the content creators supporting them. If other content creators who aren't fond of the Xbox Brand, decide to jump aboard and sell out on their personal beliefs for money, that's their fault and Microsoft's gain.

Just like any business contract, which this is, by the way, you aren't legally allowed to discuss the terms, conditions, or what you receive from it, so whatever.

The "you can't be negative about the Xbox One and it must be relevant" part also makes sense, why would the support you trashing their product? Besides, it's necessary. You already saw some posts on GAF discuss loopholes and ways to get money from Microsoft without doing anything. "Put it at the end of a totally unrelated video! Make a video discussing this bullshit and make money since it's about the Xbox One! Tall badly about the Xbox One and tag the video so you get paid!"

Can't blame Microsoft.

As a content creator and YouTuber myself, my channel is already practically a Xbox only channel (thanks Sony for making it so hard and BS to capture PS3 footage! And thanks even more for not allowing PS4 footage at all!), so I'm just getting paid for doing what I already do, I don't see the negative. Microsoft is just supporting those supporting them.

I know you're being sarcastic, and the hidden tag is hilarious, but seriously I sort of agree.
So you like it because you are getting paid for it.

Isn't it nice that we know you're getting paid so we can put your viewpoint in the proper context?

Come on MS, this is shady as fuck... but to be honest I'm not surprised.

I won't support your console if you keep doing this.

Takao

Banned
Why would people need to get paid to advertise the all-in-one Xbox One? With tremendous exclusive hits like Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Sons of Rome, Lococyle and upcoming exclusives like Halo 5, and Titanfall the games are all there. It even allows you to experience live TV like never before with the new Kinect sensor, and Snap functionality. Xbox One is a great buy.

Talamius

pretty sure they pay for commercials and product placement deals as well just like sony and every other company in the world.

what makes this any different?

The problem (and possible FTC violation) stems from not actually disclosing you're being paid.

It's one thing to run an infomercial with a disclaimer that it's paid for by the company whose product is being pushed. That's 100% A-OK.

To push the product without disclosing that you're being paid to do so? Big no-no.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This is where I full-stop no longer give any YouTube-dedicated revenue-dependent game critics any clout whatsoever. Or hits, for that matter.

You can always check the tags on the videos.

KingFire

Banned

He did a bit with Major Nelson. I would suspect he is much more likely to be into this compared to, say, Angry Joe.

Chobel

MS defense force please read this
The arrangement as described might go against the FTC's guidelines for the use of endorsements in advertising, which demand full disclosure when there is "a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement." The document offers a specific example of a video game blogger who gets a free game system that he later talks about on his blog. That blogger would need to disclose that gift, the FTC says, because his opinion is "disseminated via a form of consumer-generated media in which his relationship to the advertiser is not inherently obvious." That same reasoning would seem to apply to the opinions expressed by the video makers participating in this promotion.

Now please come with better arguments than "Sony too!™" and "It's perfectly fine"

dolemite

Political rallies do this all the time: only favorable opinions/questions are allowed. MSFT is no different, it seems.

That's really disappointing.
I disagree with the "positive" part, because Microsoft isn't targeting and going after negative comments or negativity in general. Nor should they. If people think the Xbox One is a garbage system, they should be free to say so in videos, forum posts, tweets, etc what they believe. Microsoft is only supporting those who have positive opinions, which doesn't overshadow (and once again, shouldn't overshadow) negative opinions.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I honestly don't get the uproar about this. Someone explain to me what the difference between this and, for example, paying for celebrity endorsement is?

When I see Beyonce in an ad for Nintendo, it's pretty obvious it's an ad. From Nintendo.

If a supposedly independent third party is advertising something and it's not disclosed, it sullies the relationship between the viewer and the youtuber. How can you trust their opinion if you know it can be paid for?

Where I am, paid-for product placement and promotion on TV etc. has to be disclosed. For good reasons. Should be the same here.

I really don't care if they pay people to advertise for them (I don't think it will matter in the end anyway) but to have it in the terms that you cannot talk about being paid for it is absolute bullshit. You should HAVE to disclose that information.

I'm actually prepared to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt here and think it's a Machinima fuck-up, they are relatively inexperienced in the media business and may not realize the mistake they have made here is.

Don't be ridiculous. No business lawyer puts a legal clause into a contract excluding criticism of a single company they're not a part of because they're "new."

AkuMifune

Banned
This is just business as usual carried over from last gen. Didn't we already know they were paying Machinima under the table for mentions? Andrea Renee on Weekend Confirmed?

We just tend to forget and move on, and they keep on doing the same shit.

PBY

Banned
Its definitely gross, but I have full faith in MS legal. I think they'll be fine on that front.

KMS

Ones an advertisement the other is subversive propaganda aimed at brainwashing you into liking something you otherwise wouldn't.

kurbaan

Banned
The problem (and possible FTC violation) stems from not actually disclosing you're being paid.

It's one thing to run an infomercial with a disclaimer that it's paid for by the company whose product is being pushed. That's 100% A-OK.

To push the product without disclosing that you're being paid to do so? Big no-no.

This is youtube. You think the FTC actually applies to videos people put up? This isn't tv.

no i am not really into the console wars thing. but to me its not a big deal ... its the same as xbox with doriitos or sony with taco bell.

it just means you can not trust you tube videos to be bias.. but could we really in the first place?

Absolutely you can't trust the content, but no one company has been this balls deep stupid as of yet. MS may just be the first to get caught and called on it (about par for the course over the last year).

zeldablue

..No one on the marketing team thought "Hey, this probably isn't legal"?

Maybe they just thought they wouldn't be caught? @__@ This is sketchy as heck.

Top Bottom