• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Samsung 40in 1080p Smart HDTV for $500 (Best Buy 8/9)

Hawk269

exactly. It costs Target NOTHING.

Love all the faux outrage.

News flash for some of you not knowing how this works. All they will do is return the unit to the distributor/company for a credit. Nothing was wrong with the unit at all. And their customer service at the store were the ones that opened it for the first time.

No one is losing their job. Relax and chill with the outrage.

WOW. You have no fucking clue do you? It does cost Target. The time the associate dealt with you and the fact that they bought a Xbox One from you for $350.00. When Target goes to sell that unit, guess how much they are making off of it? ZERO, NADA, NOTHING, NOT EVEN ONE PENNY. Instead of them making money that pays peoples salary, people like you that think doing things like this is costing them nothing is just stupid and complete ignorance on your side.

Dragon

Banned

News flash for some of you not knowing how this works. All they will do is return the unit to the distributor/company for a credit. Nothing was wrong with the unit at all. And their customer service at the store were the ones that opened it for the first time.

Did you open up the unit to test if it works?

Tansut

You should try for the Olympics with those mental gymnastics.

Ahhhh so now we are getting educated, thanks. By the way, you might want to look up what the word "nothing" means.

spannicus

Not the first time someone committed a crime for the PS4. Not the first and not the last. Its the console of choice for criminals i tell you.
jk

sense

some of you seem to be really going overboard criticizing the guy. not saying what he did is right but some of you are reacting like he killed a kitten or something! shit like this happens all the time.

My store is pretty much out. Seems like some people got their hands on it.

We happened to get 3 more Xbones in today, I ended up selling 2 bundles to a guy... He was buying one and thought about it and was like "get the other.." Lol.

Sold the last bundle to a guy who was looking for it a day ago, he was really excited that we had one for him, That was cool.

We swapped the TV for a 40 inch insignia or toshiba. Xbox can be any 500 GB model as you all know.

It seemed like people could still get it if they got it shipped to their house rather than pick up at another store or same store pickup. It gave me a date of the 17th for a guy who was asking today.

Dragon

Banned
some of you seem to be really going overboard criticizing the guy. not saying what he did is right but some of you are reacting like he killed a kitten or something! shit like this happens all the time.

So you admit that what he did was wrong but then try to justify it by saying it happens all the time. The net tends to go overboard but don't confuse vitriol for the real issue here. He did something wrong and doesn't particularly care.

They're actually losing money on it because they issued a refund at retail while the only receive credit from the distributor at cost. They refunded the margin that they never collected in the first place. Even if they return it to stock as an unopened item, they will be selling at no margin. Despicable.

And they also gave him back $21 for tax they never collected too.

Has anybody seen a similar sign at their Best Buy? Had a good chuckle.

Untitled.png

"Higher than anticipated sales."
They were pretty much selling a 40" for $150

Also, generally committing a crime is at the very least frowned upon in society. People are rightfully outraged. Don't do the crime if you can't take the heat.

Untitled.png

Also, generally committing a crime is at the very least frowned upon in society. People are rightfully outraged. Don't do the crime if you can't take the heat.

I laughed at that too, We got it on our Home Theater center too. Lol

Crayon

Omg all the alligator tears for target. I have worked at the return counter at target, it's just part of the game. They could have rejected it if they wanted to but super easy returns is one of the biggest attractions to the store. He got store credit, turned right around and gave them 50 extra for a ps4. They don't give a fuck, and no people taking liberties with the extremely lenient return policy do not make it harder to return things.

What they are looking for is usually people scamming coupons and rebate forms as a dayjob. Even someone who shoplifts and tries to return the lifted merch is not a big deal. It's all in the service of "normal" consumers who justify buying well more than they need because they can just return whatever easily and with no guilt... which brings them back to the store to spend their store credit and more...

dEvAnGeL

all those yelling return fraud are just jelly cause they don't got the balls to try and pull this off, you amuse GAF, for real lol

WOW. You have no fucking clue do you? It does cost Target. The time the associate dealt with you and the fact that they bought a Xbox One from you for $350.00. When Target goes to sell that unit, guess how much they are making off of it? ZERO, NADA, NOTHING, NOT EVEN ONE PENNY. Instead of them making money that pays peoples salary, people like you that think doing things like this is costing them nothing is just stupid and complete ignorance on your side.

I know you are not caping for corporations who have proven time and time again that they don't a single damn about their employees time and time again. Are we being serious right now?

Think about that the next time you read or hopefully not involved in a round of layoffs...

Omg all the alligator tears for target. I have worked at the return counter at target, it's just part of the game. They could have rejected it if they wanted to but super easy returns is one of the biggest attractions to the store. He got store credit, turned right around and gave them 50 extra for a ps4. They don't give a fuck, and no people taking liberties with the extremely lenient return policy do not make it harder to return things.

What they are looking for is usually people scamming coupons and rebate forms as a dayjob. Even someone who shoplifts and tries to return the lifted merch is not a big deal. It's all in the service of "normal" consumers who justify buying well more than they need because they can just return whatever easily and with no guilt... which brings them back to the store to spend their store credit and more...

Thank You.

And I give Target PLENTY of money. Got a red card and all. Shop there over Walmart constantly. They got 50 bucks out of me as well for something that didn't even come from their store. Sounds like a win for all parties involved.

Thank You.

And I give Target PLENTY of money. Got a red card and all. Shop there over Walmart constantly. They got 50 bucks out of me as well for something that didn't even come from their store. Sounds like a win for all parties involved.
Except it's not. You're really trying to justify your action as you know what you did was wrong

I could be wrong, but i think I remember a few threads on here where taking unopened merchandise to Costco or Walmart bought from elsewhere wasn't frowned upon by the majority, in fact that advice was given out freely. I'm not condoning anything, and I wouldn't do it myself, I just find it somewhat strange that there's so much outrage at this guy for this. Eh, don't mind me though, carry on...

orochi91

Thank You.

You did nothing wrong.

Target took the unit, that onus is on them.

You got a PS4 and a sweet TV for only $550, I'd say you're the winner in all this :3

Crayon

Sarcasm right? Society can only hope.

Little shame games just don't work on everyone. The rules at target are you can bring back anything saleable for store credit when you present an id. He didn't break any rules. He could suffer no legal penalty.

Not everyone is as obedient as you.

Untitled.png

That's pretty ballsy, considering the original ad mentioned nothing about limited quantities, and had a big thing about rainchecks right below it, from what I've seen.

But of course, they can advertise anything, then change it whenever they want, because that's how advertising works now.

Geneijin

Rekka showing some confidence with that receipt. Detective GAF can get very deep, very fast.
He left the time and date he returned it along with the serial number attached to it. It's fairly easy for Target to trace if they have that information alone.

jimmypop

Banned
I know you are not caping for corporations who have proven time and time again that they don't a single damn about their employees time and time again. Are we being serious right now?

Think about that the next time you read or hopefully not involved in a round of layoffs...

Ah! So you were forced into a position where you had to act unethically.

Fight the power, man! Tell us when your cause has a hashtag the rest of us can support your right to be a dink.

AGITΩ;175311660 said:
Best buy associate here. They've changed the Xbox offering from just The MC collection to the AC 500GB and just the 500GB Xbox one if still around.
Now if there is a free xbox at another Best Buy store, we can bypass the out of stock by ordering an Xbox that qualifies from the promo and scanning the serial number that store gives us. But that's if the store is kind enough to ship to that store. I have ran into some stores unwilling to part with the stock.

and some best buys were giving the 1T
that's from the reddit forum

Managed to sell the Toshiba TV for $280 the other day and my girlfriend sold her old one for a little under that. We bought a 55in Sony TV at best buy to replace hers and it's pretty sweet.
I'm looking forward to buying a pair of 3D glasses (didn't come with them oddly) and seeing how they work on it.

I want to get a Kinect for my Xbox One so that we can control the TV, soundbar, and cable box (wish it was $100 or less, but whatever). I bought a little IR emitter for the XB1 to try and use that, but the range sucked so bad it could only control one device from an inch away. At least I was able to get a refund from Amazon and didn't even need to return it!

Pejo

Hmm, wonder if the local best buy got any of this back in stock. They were completely out of the TVs and the Xbones last time I checked in. Or is there a way to order online? I don't really care when I receive it if I can get the deal.

Whats the difference with him taking the X1 and returning to Target vs. him even selling to someone on the street. If Target had no issue with him exchanging the X1 for the PS4, why does anyone even care? People are returning all kinds of stuff to stores on a daily basis. If the stores were losing all kinds of money taking back these items, then they wouldn't allow the returns/exchange in the first place.

New002

Whats the difference with him taking the X1 and returning to Target vs. him even selling to someone on the street. If Target had no issue with him exchanging the X1 for the PS4, why does anyone even care? People are returning all kinds of stuff to stores on a daily basis. If the stores were losing all kinds of money taking back these items, then they wouldn't allow the returns/exchange in the first place.

Sory to go off-topic but I just wanted to respond to this real quick.

One is return fraud (cross-retailer return fraud) and the other is not? Is this a serious question? :(

Now whether you care that it's return fraud or not is another story. I'm not particularly up in arms about this honestly, but people trying to justify it are funny. Instead of saying oh it's okay because (insert reasons), just be like yeah it's return fraud but I don't care.

I imagine the reason some retailers accept no receipt returns is to allow flexibility for those situations where a customer has legitimately lost their receipt. If I recall correctly one of the reasons many retailers require an ID with no receipt returns (and maybe even standard returns) is that it allows the retailer to track returns and pick up on patterns that might suggest some sort of abuse of the system. Are they gonna go after the guy/gal doing this every once in a while? Most likely not. Does that make it okay for someone to take advantage of that? You tell me.

Wallach

My Samsung TV arrived today.

I have to say, for $150 or whatever it worked out to be, I'm more than happy with the quality of the picture.

Tip for those who got this specific TV model - make sure you run the HDMI from your console to the HDMI2 port (the upper one, it'll say DVI on the sticker label). After you do that, hit Source on the remote, select HDMI2, and then press and hold Enter until you get the options menu. Select "Edit Name". Scroll down to the first option (which should be "PC"), then confirm.

This will change the way the TV handles the video signal and completely drop all the bullshit processing (including the dumb overscan). You will notice you can't switch it to Game Mode but it won't need it in this setting. You won't actually need to mess with anything except your color/contrast/brightness calibration. Sharpness will look like it is reset to default 50 but it isn't operating like it normally would so if you drop it you'll actually blur the image. Trust me, you'll notice the difference straight away.

Once I learned this I was actually very impressed for what I paid for this set. Image quality is great. Sure, there is slightly more ghosting here than my main ASUS MX279H monitor but this is much better than I expected.

Sory to go off-topic but I just wanted to respond to this real quick.

One is return fraud (cross-retailer return fraud) and the other is not? Is this a serious question? :(

Now whether you care that it's return fraud or not is another story. I'm not particularly up in arms about this honestly, but people trying to justify it are funny. Instead of saying oh it's okay because (insert reasons), just be like yeah it's return fraud but I don't care.

I imagine the reason some retailers accept no receipt returns is to allow flexibility for those situations where a customer has legitimately lost their receipt. If I recall correctly one of the reasons many retailers require an ID with no receipt returns (and maybe even standard returns) is that it allows the retailer to track returns and pick up on patterns that might suggest some sort of abuse of the system. Are they gonna go after the guy/gal doing this every once in a while? Most likely not. Does that make it okay for someone to take advantage of that? You tell me.

It's not a serious question, but at the end of the day people are going after this guy with pitchforks. To me, I don't care that he did this TBH. If the store was willing to exchange it for him there is nothing wrong with that. He bought something more expensive in the process. If the Xbox One sku was not in their system they wouldn't of returned it, but they did. Now they'll probably turn around and sell it I would think.

They probably won't go after this guy but now that they have his license on file with one return he probably will be limited on future returns for the year.

Bowler

Peeps hounding Rekka for a x1 to ps4 return swap, yet hundreds trying to bend the price match loophole to grab a ps4 for 200 bucks, without a hint of backlash.

Isthisreallife.jif

Ninhead

Omg all the alligator tears for target. I have worked at the return counter at target, it's just part of the game. They could have rejected it if they wanted to but super easy returns is one of the biggest attractions to the store.

And it's thinking like that that lead to the big videogame crash in the early 80's.

Kama_1082

Banned
Lol all the salt in here. GAF has no problem exploiting price errors but holy shit god forbid someone do something like this? Won't anyone think of the corporations?

Top Bottom