• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

Want to see Conker Live and Reloaded so badly

For sure. That'd look amazing. Rare's fur shader back then was absurdly good.

I hope we get

GTA:SA
Max Payne 1
Splinter cell 1

For original xbox bc.

I'd be incredibly happy if we got those. They'd look fantastic enhanced for the X. All of this OG Xbox game talk makes me sad that MS is only planning to release OG Xbox games in a much more limited fashion compared to their 360 BC program.

Last edited:

TheWatcher

Banned
What about Jedi Outcast/Academy? Love to see Conan, Red Faction, Max Payne Trilogy, and Ninja Gaiden 2/Razor's Edge make the cut.

Question here, if games like MW 2 and 3 are still being sold on Steam/Xbox Live MP, wouldn't that mean there are no lisensing issues and it's only a matter of time?

What about Jedi Outcast/Academy? Love to see Conan, Red Faction, Max Payne Trilogy, and Ninja Gaiden 2/Razor's Edge make the cut.

Question here, if games like MW 2 and 3 are still being sold on Steam/Xbox Live MP, wouldn't that mean there are no lisensing issues and it's only a matter of time?

It'd be a pretty safe bet to assume so. As long as the publisher isn't planning to release a remaster of that title in the short term (like Red Faction Guerilla), then titles already on sale on Steam should be a sure thing for Xbox 360 BC.

MickeyPhree

Been thinking about getting Oblivion since I'm having a blast with Skyrim...anyone have any impressions on the original Xbox one as to how it performs?

Been thinking about getting Oblivion since I'm having a blast with Skyrim...anyone have any impressions on the original Xbox one as to how it performs?

On a normal Xbox One the in-game performance is improved over the Xbox 360 version but it still has occasional instances of minor stutters when running across the open world (this is a game engine issue, not an emulation one). This is part of the Oblivion experience. The load times are improved by a margin of 10. There's barely any delay when entering buildings etc. The typical lag when saving your game and accessing the menus from the 360 version are greatly reduced on the Xbone.

If you're playing on an X, then you're in for a treat as the game world (though very sparse by 2018 standards) still looks great at times in ~4k. Especially so, considering that it's a 2006 title.

If you're coming to Oblivion from Skyrim, keep in mind that you have to actually role play your class to level up in ES IV. Unlike Skyrim where you can be an everyman, in Oblivion, once you pick your class you have to focus on those class specific skills to be able to level up. I personally love that but it can be divisive. It's a different game from Skyrim in some fundamental ways. Choose your class carefully. Once you've chosen your class, you get an option to change it once you leave the tutorial dungeon. Save your game at this point so that you can return to it for any future play throughs (or if you decide that your class blows, two hours in).

Overall the quests are far superior in Oblivion (opinion). Be sure to join the Dark Brotherhood. Lots of people seem to prefer the soundtrack too. The Morrowind and Oblivion OSTs are two of my personal GOATs.

Also: be prepared for some hilariously ugly NPC faces.

Last edited:

TheWatcher

Banned
What is amazing to me is how well Microsoft has rebounded from the beginning of this gen. Always was an Xbox guy since 2001, and it is a shame it is only now that Microsoft execs realise what a great library of games they have. I remember being an early adopter for the 360 and being initially disappointed, especially after being blown away by Resistance Fall of Man. When Sony all but abandoned BC in future iterations of the PS3 it made me bitter. That is no way to respect long time customers. Because of Xbox One Enhanced games and BC I haven't touched my PS4 Pro since I finished Nioh. Shame Tecmo doesn't okay Ninja Gaiden 2, I sense residual animosity from Hayashi.

Last edited:

Metzhara

If you're coming to Oblivion from Skyrim, keep in mind that you have to actually role play your class to level up in ES IV. Unlike Skyrim where you can be an everyman, in Oblivion, once you pick your class you have to focus on those class specific skills to be able to level up. I personally love that but it can be divisive. It's a different game from Skyrim in some fundamental ways. Choose your class carefully. Once you've chosen your class, you get an option to change it once you leave the tutorial dungeon. Save your game at this point so that you can return to it for any future play throughs (or if you decide that your class blows, two hours in).
QUOTE]

I think this was an idea better on paper. My first playthrough I was a class I wanted to create which was almost an acrobat. So... in my ignorance to the system (which wasn't really talked about at the time), I selected WALKING and JUMPING (also STEALTH, important later) as my main class skills. So... by the time I got to any real combat, apparently I was supposed to be a bad ass. So you can imagine how stressful my time at my first Oblivion Gate was.
Well it wasn't NEARLY as stressful as hitting my SECOND gate... because to get through each gate, I had to sneak... which leveled me up even FARTHER.
So needless to say my first 80+ hours of that game were so tedious that the only thing keeping me in was "I'll be damned if walking outright kills me in any game!"
Once again, great idea on paper... but NO ONE should ever base difficulty in a game on how efficient you become in walking in an open world. That's just madness!

M Metzhara LOL. That's amazing. I actually see that as positive game design. Some people might want to actually play like that. That's part of the roleplaying experience. It's unfortunate that you had your first experience with the game that way though.

I guess that Oblivion shows Bethesda's early PC heritage where they kind of expect the player to be well informed of complex game mechanics before they enter the game world. It certainly respects a player's intelligence, more-so than Skyrim (which I also love but it saddens me that it's so simplified for the masses). For me, I lucked out in my first experience with Oblivion and chose a class randomly that worked well with my gameplay style from the onset. So my first run through the game was a really positive one. In fact, Oblivion became the "Monday Morning" watercooler talking point for the entire IT department that I worked at for about two months after its release. Good times.

Your experience with Oblivion is part of why it can be a divisive game and why I wrote a bit of a novella in the comment above. It's a fantastic game but it's important to read a guide before entering the amazing world of Cyrodiil (and beyond). It's probably not a good game for the younger, casual Skyrim player to jump into; Morrowind, even less so.

Last edited:

Alx

Woah, I had missed Thursday's announcement, I'm really delighted to see Split Second on BC. I really liked the game but was waiting for the support to play it again on X1.

Ninja Gaiden 2 yet?

hnZSc7b.gif

We're all still waiting (impatiently). Microsoft published it so I have no idea what the delay is.

Breakage

Shame Tecmo doesn't okay Ninja Gaiden 2, I sense residual animosity from Hayashi.
You know, this is what I thought for a long time, ie post-Itagaki Tecmo/ Team Ninja making NG2 playable on Xbox One would be some sort of explicit admission that NG2 was superior - so it'd never happen. And then Itagaki's Ninja Gaiden: Black made it on to Xbox One. Now I think NG2 on Xbox One could still happen.

Last edited:

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Has anyone tried the Mass Effect Trilogy on an Xbox One (X) using backwards compatibility? I remember Mass Effect 1 being quite rough on the 360, hoping that it's a little smoother on the current consoles.

Great, thank you! I shall watch those then.

I believe that since that DF video, the X has been released and the emulator has received a couple of updates. It'll likely run much nicer now. I'll load up my copies of ME1 and 2 later today and give you my impressions on my X if you like. We're all still impatiently waiting on a 4k enhanced patch though (hopefully one comes to fruition at some stage)

Raizing

Neo Member
Yeah the DF Mass Effect analysis vid is way out of date (they should delete it or update). The last time I booted up Mass Effect on X a few weeks back it ran better than ever. The original is horribly optimised during combat scenes but it's notorious load times, texture pop-in and fps all saw considerable improvement over the 360 (and X1).

Metzhara

The Darkness games are some of my favorite games in terms of story telling and world. Why can't more comic games be more like these?
Darkness II has some pretty easily digestible co-op so get some friends and give it a go!
In the first Darkness, when he said, "That was the first time I died" I legitimately thought it was when he was exploded out of the window. When I saw him pull out the gun later and look in the mirror... Damn... I was left with my jaw dropped. So good!

Green Saber

I know this is obscure but I used to love playing marble blast ultra, it was one of the first Xbox Live Arcade Games that I played. I am not sure if it would be possible for this to be backwards compatible anymore, I heard it was delisted.

Spec Ops was a hell of a ride. I would highly recommend it. I never got to finish the Darkness II. I will attempt to do so now. What a great day for BC!

Top Bottom