• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

RAIDEN1

PS5 won't go that far back, Sony weren't really that bothered about it during the PS4's time-line and I doubt they are going to anywhere beyond that console itself when it comes to backward compatibility..

As much as it annoys me that certain games didn't get BC releases, like Dead Rising 1, 2 and Off The Record, at least I can play them on current gen buy dishing out the money for the "remasters". Other games, are not so easy to aquire.

So now that the dust has settled, and the bodycount is tallied, what are your games that never made the cut and also are either not available anywhere else, or at least not easily available?

Exlusive to 360

After Burner Climax
Bankshot Billiards
Dead or Alive 4
Project Gotham Racing 3
Project Gotham Racing 4
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1989 arcade

Others with no digital versions

Condemned 2 Bloodshot - also has PS3 disc version
El Shaddai - also has PS3 disc version
F1 2013 - also has PS3 disc version, Steam (now delisted)
Lollipop Chainsaw - also has PS3 disc version
Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005) - also has prior gen releases, no digital PC version but had a disc release
Need for Speed Carbon - also has PS3 disc version, prior gen releases, no digital PC version but had a disc release
Test Drive Unlimited - also has prior gen, no digital PC version but had a disc release
Transformers War for Cybertron - also has PS3 disc versions, delisted from Steam
Wet - also has PS3 disc version

Every time I see this thread bumped I get a bit sad, but 18 - 24 months from now it should be back in full swing.

Don't be sad, because Earth Defense Force 2017 is now free for Gold subscribers!

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/...rce-2017/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802445007d3

zdeqeU3.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think about the only game I'm bummed never made it to the backwards compatibility program is Eternal Sonata. Most of my other 360-era JRPGs made the cut, but this one didn't.

CRAIG667

I REALLY wanted...

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
After Burner Climax
Tony Hawks Pro Skater

Having said that, I'm extremely grateful for all the games we did get. I still regularly play Defense Grid.

Estocolmo

As much as it annoys me that certain games didn't get BC releases, like Dead Rising 1, 2 and Off The Record, at least I can play them on current gen buy dishing out the money for the "remasters". Other games, are not so easy to aquire.

So now that the dust has settled, and the bodycount is tallied, what are your games that never made the cut and also are either not available anywhere else, or at least not easily available?

Xbox 360 games
Condemned 2
Dead or Alive 4
FEAR games
Flatout Ultimate Carnage
Max Payne 3
PGR 3 & 4

Xbox Live Arcade
Arcadian Warriors
Bankshot Billiards
Dust
Fez
Marble Blast Ultra (Delisted)
Mortal Kombat Kollektion
South Park Lets Go Tower Defence Play
Super Street Fighter Turbo HD Remix

Original Xbox
Brute Force
Max Payne 1 & 2
Mechassault 1 & 2
Rallisport Challenge 1&2
PGR 2

Last edited:

intbal

These games weren't released on other consoles. They weren't released on PC. They're not compatible on 360. They're not compatible on Xbox One. The only way you can play them is on Original Xbox hardware.

mokvB1Z.jpg

(*Genma Onimusha featured enough new content, gameplay features, and graphics enhancements that it has to be considered a different game from Onimusha Warlords. That's why I include it in this list.)

Banned
I was just wondering, at what resolution does Perfect Dark HD run when played on Xbox One X? it is X enhanced, which usually means a 9x boost to resolution on Xbox 360 games.
a 9x boost to Perfect Dark HD, which runs at 1080p on 360, would mean it's 5760x3240, which is basically 6K at this point... that would be crazy, since I think it also has either 2x or 4x MSAA... 6k with 4x MSAA is ridiculous

DoomslayerJones

Neo Member
Really disappointed at them stopping the og Xbox backwards compatibility, would’ve loved to be able to play Darkwatch
Glad for what they did manage to do tho
Hope they keep it up with the Scarlett

Banned
Any decent platformers that are BC? is blinx any good ?

Blinx is not really a Platformer, it's more of a beat em up really. it has platforming but it's not the focus of the game.

there's Banjo... I personally don't like the Banjo games but some people do 🤷‍♂️
I think Rayman 3 HD is back compat, most Sonic games are, Super Meat Boy if you don't mind 2D stuff... also both of the new 2D Rayman games are compatible (even tho Legends is also on Xbox One natively) and I think Legends includes most levels of Origins? right?

Psychonauts also compatible, and with the second one on the way, a great time to catch up!
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, while technically an Action Adventure with fighting and puzzles, it also has some nice platforming and stuff... the Prince of Persia reboot also has a decent amount of it.

Conker's Bad Fur Day is on the Xbox One in 2 forms,
#1: the native port of the N64 original, only available via Rare Replay... basically just an HD remaster no real adjustments other than making it look decent in HD.
#2: the Live & Reloaded remake, which is back compat and is IMO by far the better version... many hate on it due to the curse words being bleeped out, but the completely remade base controls and fighting mechanincs, aswell as improved leveldesign make it by far the better game, especially from a modern perspective. And the graphics, especially on One X at 1920p, still look fantastic! that game showed what the hardware of the Xbox could do in a really awesome way.

Last edited:

Esppiral

These games weren't released on other consoles. They weren't released on PC. They're not compatible on 360. They're not compatible on Xbox One. The only way you can play them is on Original Xbox hardware.

mokvB1Z.jpg

(*Genma Onimusha featured enough new content, gameplay features, and graphics enhancements that it has to be considered a different game from Onimusha Warlords. That's why I include it in this list.)

It hurts 💔 otogi...

rmatheso

mokvB1Z.jpg

Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders runs fine on 360. Heroes is incompatible.

intbal

Thanks.
I made this list a long time ago. Double checked everything according to the available lists. I wonder if there was a bad entry back then.
I couldn't check every game myself, but KUF:Crusaders is definitely listed as compatible now.

Gideon_128

mokvB1Z.jpg

I could be mistaken but I think I played Quantum Redshift on 360 BC.

quickwhips

i really wanted to play rock of the dead(i know we don't have guitar support), lollipop chainsaw, ace combat, all the spiderman, wolverine, captain america games ( i know these are long shots but we got too human baby!)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I realize it goes well beyond the scope of what BC was supposed to be, but damn would it have been nice if the xbox Splinter Cell games had true widescreen support patched in.

Hell give them achievements too.

Reactions: Isa

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Am I the only one going to miss checking Major Nelsons twitter each tuesday and thursday for BC news?
My heart used to skip a beat when I saw this thread get bumped. Now,

giphy.gif

Reactions: Isa
Am I the only one going to miss checking Major Nelsons twitter each tuesday and thursday for BC news?

Definitely not mate. You are in good company. I live in Australia, so for the last two years, on work nights I've been setting my alarm for 3.30am just to wake up to read the Major Nelson tweet to alert me of what was going to be added to the back compat list that day. I'd then snipe the cheapest physical copy of that game online before the price rose exponentially.

The life and trials of a physical game collector.

The day that the Xbox back compat program was cancelled... I died a little inside. It genuinely made me really sad. It was like being a pre-teen and being told that Father Christmas didn't actually exist: Life ruined 🍺 :messenger_grinning_smiling: .

Ah, well. I could complain but it's hard to when I now have hundreds of amazing 7th generation games to enjoy, thanks to the MS back compat coding ninjas. Happy days. I love games, of all the generations. So thanks to their hard work, the Xbox One has become a big winner for me this gen (unpopular opinion alert).

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
List to save a watch

GTA san andreas - downloads the android version
Armed and Dangerous
Indiana Jones Emporers Tomb
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Splinter Cell
SC Chaos Theory
SC Pandora Tomorrow
SC Double Agent
Unreal Championship 2
Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2
KOTOR
Republic Commando

Estocolmo

I just realised something while scrolling the Xbox game pass games list.

Many of the games in the Game pass are Xbox 360 games.
So Microsoft are obviously betting hard on Xbox game pass since the last couple of years.

For the game pass to keep being the 100+ games service on Xbox Scarlett...that means that it needs both Original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games working on it.

So we can assume that the games available on Xbox Game Pass will also be BC on Scarlett...and growing the more older games are added to Xbox Game Pass.

And what do I want to say with this? We know the BC program is coming to Xbox Scarlett...but we have no idea of the scale it has.
Well now we atleast have a hint while just looking at the Xbox Game Pass list.

Last edited:

Allandor

For the game pass to keep being the 100+ games service on Xbox Scarlett...that means that it needs both Original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games working on it.

So we can assume that the games available on Xbox Game Pass will also be BC on Scarlett...and growing the more older games are added to Xbox Game Pass.

And what do I want to say with this? We know the BC program is coming to Xbox Scarlett...but we have no idea of the scale it has.
that was already said during e3. All BC games will be BC on Scarlett, too. But than this includes all xb1 titels.

can we please stop bumping this thread up. Everytime this threads is bumped up I have high hopes for "new" BC-games ...
It is incredible what they have done, but still so many good games are missing. I really don't expect new BC additions for XB1 with scarlett. Just some new for scarlett or only additional XB1 games. But it really seems to be hard to get all those "OKs" from the studios/publishers.

CRAIG667

I just realised something while scrolling the Xbox game pass games list.

Many of the games in the Game pass are Xbox 360 games.
So Microsoft are obviously betting hard on Xbox game pass since the last couple of years.

This was confirmed at E3.

mokvB1Z.jpg

Midtown Madness 3, one of my all time favorites. I need to research OG Xbox emulation on PC to re-play it.

Skate 1 manages to run at a locked 60fps on the Xbox One and the X. That's impressive considering that the Xbox 360 runs the game at 30fps:

I bought the original on day one back in the day. It was a fantastic game. I'll have to pull off my shelf and give it another go and see how much I suck at it now :messenger_grinning_smiling:.

Banned
so the game uses a tripple buffer vsync that just never had enough GPU power to switch to 60fps?
interesting...

I thought the game just had a 30fps lock

Banned
Same with GRAW iirc

I think GRAW was. different story, GRAW had a very fluctuating framerate, which means there's no double or tripple buffer at work here since the framerate would go to a locked 30 every time it drops below 60.
my theory is that the vsync method the Xbox One emulator forces onto 360 games broke the game's own vsync which locked it to 30fps.
and so the lock was gone and we have the unlocked framerate non back compat

Pantz

Gold Member
Just got updates for 10 BC games. Lost Odyssey, Dead Space 2, Fallout 3, Final Fantasy XIII, Gears of War, Hitman: Blood Money, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid HD, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, Red Faction II.

Probably just their normal emulation updates. They may not be adding any new games yet but it looks like they are still working on the emulation of them. Scarlett can't come soon enough.

Top Bottom