• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One BC |OT| "Fortunately, we have a product for people who don't own a 360"

The OT for backwards compatibility on the Xbox One

Updated: 14/12-2015

Facts:
  • "Over 100+ Titles available on public release (November 12, 2015)"
  • DLC currently not working widespread, needs to be added case by case
  • Future Games with Gold titles on Xbox 360 will all be backwards compatible
  • Games need to have publisher approval
  • Multi-disk games currently not working
  • Microsoft plans to have all MS published titles available
  • 360 games using peripherals/kinect will not work
  • Menu+View brings up the 360 guide while playing a BC title.
  • You can party chat with 360 users while using a BC title.
  • Xbox One features such as screenshots, clip recording, Snap and twitch streaming can be used with BC games.
  • If you upload your Xbox 360 game saves to the cloud you can access them when playing BC titles via Xbox One
Xbox.com's main BC page: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility?xr=shellnav

Have a title you want to come to backwards compatibility? Vote here: https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503

This is how backward compatibility works on Xbox One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzg5iSOCAZo

mMNoEN.gif

announcedgamesw0q2e.png

bc_1z4s52.png

bc_25gsrk.png

bc_3h7sfe.png

bc_4knspl.png

bc_549sv1.png

bc_63ys49.png

bc_7uiso3.png

bc_859s68.png

newreleasest0z8u.png

The following titles are now officially supported via BC:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare
LEGO Batman
Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space
Trials HD

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/697790938006097920

Plus, Alan Wake is confirmed as coming soon, as anyone who purchases Quantum Break for Xbox One also gets the full version of Alan Wake, plus its two DLC bits (The Signal and The Writer).

Red Dead Redemption - Was available, then pulled for maintenance, pretty much a sure thing.

comingsoonvjpb9.png

Bayonetta - Source
Burnout Paradise - Source
Hitman Absolution - Source (Thanks to Gaf member Syriel for info.)

ISSUES and INFO:

Experiences around Gaf and other known issues with BC games.

• Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts: Currently only works with Rare Replay
  • Borderlands:All DLC is FREE and included
  • Defense Grid: 567MB update on 11/4 - enables DLC
  • Dirt 3: Seems to have some framerate hickups.
  • Fallout 3: Popping in the second disc for GOTY edition will download all the extra DLC.
  • Gears of War 3: Seems to be framerate issues.
  • Gears of War: Judgment: Performance issues when running on internal HDD, external seems to fix these.
  • Halo Reach: Framerate issues and visual bugs, patched on the 22/12 to fix a lot of issues.
  • Mass Effect: Gaffers are reporting the framerate is improved and fixed over the beta BC version.
  • Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage: This is the SOR collection, the (crappy) standalone SOR2 made by Backbone is not available.
  • Shadow Complex: Recently update(8/22), smooths out framerate

XBLA compilation discs with BC listed games:
I have a bunch of XBLA compilation discs and the results on getting them to be recognized has been mixed.

Dreamcast Collection - Recognized
Crazy Taxi

Namco Museum Virtual Arcade - Not Recognized
Pac-Man Championship Edition

Popcap Arcade Hits Vol. 2 - Recognized
Feeding Frenzy 2
Heavy Weapon

Qubed - Not Recognized
Lumines Live

Xbox Live Arcade Compilation Disc - Recognized
Feeding Frenzy
Pac-Man Championship Edition

Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged Vol. 1 - Not recognized
Bejeweled 2
Hardwood Backgammon

Changing your Xbox Gamer Tag:
So I recently changed my Xbox Gamer Tag, and now none of my BC games work because it's looking for my old GT name

Now what??
Launch a 360 game and redownload your gamertag. Worked for me with Peggle.

Gears Of War Ultimate and download keys for Gears originals:
Where are my Gears Ultimate codes at?!

6f12a6aa-3aa3-4912-b890-7f98fbeaf2cd.jpg

Those who play Gear Of War Ultimate live online before December 31, will get their download codes sent out December 1 at the earliest for Gears Of War, Gears Of War 2, Gear Of War 3 and GOW: Judgement. EDIT: Codes have been rolling out since the 19.11.

Will my Gears DLC work?!

People testing out Gears 3 here on GAF seem to indicate that they indeed work very well!

OT title courtesy of:
Xbox One BC |OT| "Fortunately, we have a product for people who don't own a 360"

Ein Bear

Cross-posting from the other thread, since I saw a few people asking, but you can actually purchase the free Gold 360 games through the Xbox One:

If you go to the Games With Gold page on the dashboard, there's a box to the left saying something about getting double the free games each month with the 360 backwards compatibility.

If you select it, it boots up the browser and takes you to the online marketplace store to buy them.

It's still far from a perfect solution, but I found it a bit more convenient than having to grab my laptop or fire up my 360.

Yoday

It's good to have one central thread. That OT title is brilliant!

Just started playing AC2, and it is glorious. Not only does it perform very well, but the locked vsync that BC puts on games is a game changer in visual quality for AC2. It originally had a ton of screen tearing and now it is just a clean image that also has the benefit of a smoother framerate.

One thing I noticed right away is how much cleaner the game looks in general. I'm pretty sure this is down to the vastly superior scaler in the XBO compared to horrible blur fest that was the 1080p scaler in the 360. I can't wait to try out some other games now.

Kolma

WHY ARE THERE 3 THREADS FOR THIS NOW!?

(Will post for the 3rd time)
Anyone have any luck with Lumines Live from Qubed?

Also add Fable 3 to the op. It can be downloaded if searched for.

Pachimari

Is it true Gears of War 3 runs like shit? What's the exact problems with this version?

It is a bummer to me, as I bought the Ultimate Edition for the old games.

Hawk269

Yeah that needs to be removed from the OP. I read the OP thread before he did the update and just now and loved how the OP cleaned it up and added a bunch of stuff up until seeing Don clapping and basically takes the OP down the shitter. Please consider removing it, it is just going to draw the wrong crowd imho.

poodaddy

Gold Member
God I'm loving this. Tried out Fallout 3 and got some weird audio and artifacting glitches but Bethesda games are so janky that it could of easily happened on the 360 version. Just so I understand, Borderlands 1 comes with all the DLC if you buy it for BC right now? If so that's.....that's pretty fucking awesome. Fable 2 worked perfectly by the way, in case anyone was wondering.

Hawk269

WHY ARE THERE 3 THREADS FOR THIS NOW!?

(Will post for the 3rd time)
Anyone have any luck with Lumines Live from Qubed?

Also add Fable 3 to the op. It can be downloaded if searched for.

But does it work? I have not heard of someone being able to play it as of yet.

Yeah that needs to be removed from the OP. I read the OP thread before he did the update and just now and loved how the OP cleaned it up and added a bunch of stuff up until seeing Don clapping and basically takes the OP down the shitter. Please consider removing it, it is just going to draw the wrong crowd imho.
I'll take it down if people don't like it!

poodaddy

Gold Member

Huh? What the hells the problem with a little light hearted referential humor? Lighten up.

Hawk269

Its fine op. Just leave it.

Great OT BTW. Subscribed.

Forgot to say great job with the thread OP as well. Liked how you updated it quickly to give more information and links.

For those that may have some issues with games that you know you bought digital and they are not showing up in your cue, try doing a reboot of your system. While in Beta, this would happen and a reboot (hold power down for 10sec) would normally fix the issue.

IbukiLordSA

All I really want is Mark of the Ninja and Dishwasher, is that so much to ask for :)

I'll get Ikaruga in the meantime, haven't played that in ages.

Let me know when Alan Wake is available. It's the only game I still have that I want to play, well that and Gears of War: Jusgment, which is available.

Is it true Gears of War 3 runs like shit? What's the exact problems with this version?

It is a bummer to me, as I bought the Ultimate Edition for the old games.

It runs pretty bad especially on campaign, multiplayer plays a lot smoother

and like Shadow Complex and Mass Effect, they should be able to improve performance over time

It's good to have one central thread. That OT title is brilliant!

Just started playing AC2, and it is glorious. Not only does it perform very well, but the locked vsync that BC puts on games is a game changer in visual quality for AC2. It originally had a ton of screen tearing and now it is just a clean image that also has the benefit of a smoother framerate.

One thing I noticed right away is how much cleaner the game looks in general. I'm pretty sure this is down to the vastly superior scaler in the XBO compared to horrible blur fest that was the 1080p scaler in the 360. I can't wait to try out some other games now.

Yeah I noticed that too! game is beautiful and runs perfectly, I guess the vsync is a lot more generous towards open world games

Walpurgis

Banned

I'll take it down if people don't like it!
I think it's funny. It's a very strange turn of events. I don't think anyone expected MS to go from saying that to having BC. It's a nice reminder of how far they've come in the past 2 years. Good title, OP.

TBiddy

Great list of games there. While it's not gonna be a game-changer in terms of sales this generation, I suspect it might give Microsoft a lot of goodwill for next-gen, when they prove that they are willing to go the extra mile for the consumers.

Alx

I downloaded most of the games I own on that list, time to go back and finish Nuts & Bolts and Just Cause 2.
I was pretty sure I had bought Perfect Dark Zero for a tiny price during one of the sales, but couldn't find it. It doesn't matter much, though.

Alfredo

All I want is the original Dead Rising. Hopefully a Capcom title shows up soon, so I can start to have some REAL hope.

Omg I can play Super Meat Boy on my Xbox One? Sweet. Now just to wait for Halo Reach and Hitman Absolution to be added and I can start making my way through my 360s backlog.

Skate 3's nice, but you know what would be really nice?

Skate 2.

Yea, I was thinking about this. I look upon Skate 3 super fondly, but I think alot of it was down to the clubs and online end of things. I always prefered Skate 2 more for single player, and I doubt any of my old online partners will want to play anymore, so Skate 2 probably would suit me more. That said, I'll take Skate 3 happily.

Top Bottom