• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Controller Only Stays Connected to PC BT from 3ft Away

I just bought a Xbox One S Controller to replace my broken wired 360 pad which served me for something like a decade. I updated the controller and my Windows 10 install to the required build (Anniversary Update) The controller works great when it stays connected. It automatically is recognized in Steam BGM. All the games I've tried required no setup, but the controller will only stay connected if it is within about 3 feet (with line of sight) of the wireless BlueTooth USB dongle. I also replaced the batteries so I don't think it's a power issue. Granted the BT USB dongle is a dinky little POS I've had for years and could the root of the problem, although it worked fine with my DS4, but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and could provide any simple fixed beyond buying a new dongle.

Chinbo37

Maybe someone has an easy fix but Bluetooth sucked for me for the XBone controller. Generally I use it wired ... or try the official dongle, that works awesome.

MrBenchmark

Any other blue tooth near by? Router with 2.4ghz active near etc? If you have a router near with 2.4 wireless and it's set to auto channel change it to a set channel different from what its currently using and pick a channel 1,6,11 none of the inbetweens

Any other blue tooth near by? Router with 2.4ghz active near etc?

No BT that I can think of. The router is in another room. The PC sits near my PS4 Pro and Switch and there's a smart TV with wifi. I'm thinking maybe I'll disable the wifi on the switch and TV. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it though.

MrBenchmark

No BT that I can think of. The router is in another room. The PC sits near my PS4 Pro and Switch and there's a smart TV with wifi. I'm thinking maybe I'll disable the wifi on the switch and TV. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it though.

Are the pro and switch and tv using 2.4 or 5ghz

Ok so try changing that 2.4 to channel 11 and see what happens

Ok, I tried that and it didn't seem to do much. However, I think it solved the issue. I forgot theres a wireless keyboard dongle in the usb port right next to the dongle for the Xbone pad. I moved the keyboard dongle to the back of the pc and that seems to have greatly improved the controller connectivity.

Top Bottom