• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One day one update is already up; is 500mb

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
From the Target thread, for those who might have missed it.

Some folks got the console early from Target and it turns out the update to make the console work is already up.

The update is already up for download?!

Fi57SHr.png

He told me update is 500MB.

Good. I was expecting worse.

It's crazy how much smaller these updates are compared to the Wii U, especially since they are pushing (apparently) much more contact out with them.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I wouldn't be surprised if there was another update that they'll publish before launch, I am sure they are still working

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Surprised at the size. Glad both Sony and MS know to keep the day 1 updates small. I bet game patches will be far larger than the firmware updates.

That's a much better size than I expected

Still going to be congestion problems at launch

Hopefully they allow downloading to a USB

BraXzy

Are we all late to the party and the butts of a cruel joke?

First, some people start to get Xbox One's delivered to them, now the day ONE patch is out...

I'm kidding.

ClearData

That Xbox that that one guy got early from Target has now went up in value many, many times now that this update is out. $$$ that someone is going to drop to have a two week head start with the UI and media stuff. Probably no games though...

OryoN

So did Nintendo win the day one file size patch contest with the Wii U? Wasn't it like a gig or so?

I remember it being like 5 GB. Hope I'm not tripping. I have no idea why Wii U's patch was so bloated(no wonder the OS is still kinda slow), or why XB1's relatively small(well, this is MS's forte, afterall). Surely, vastly different approaches in play here.

shem935

Banned
Could this just be another developer update? Like the actual update will come later? Cause 500 mb is not bad at all. What was ps4's? I think around the same size.

Nevermind disregard I am dumb. Thats not a debug lol.

Well it is possible this is a pre-release dev update that doesn't have all the stuff the "real" day one patch will. Who knows?

Lucky guy either way.

a916

There's not going to be millions of XB1 installing the update at the same time. They will be staggered depending on what time zone you are in.

And if I HAD to trust anyone's servers to not crash, it would have be MS. 500mb normally takes a few minutes for me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
He just said it took him about 2 minutes to do. Not bad at all, though launch day likely won't be as smooth sailing.

Top Bottom