• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Family Sharing, Pre-Loading Still on Microsoft's Radar | Phil Spencer

Gestault

Full write-up available here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xb...ding-still-on-microsoft-s-radar/1100-6420721/

The nitty-gritty:

When Microsoft announced sweeping Xbox One policy changes last summer, the company did away with the ambitious Family Sharing plan that would have allowed users to share their games library with up to 10 family members on any Xbox One. This feature may be gone, but it's not forgotten. It could actually be implemented someday, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer said during a recent Gamertag Radio podcast.

"We looked at the digital features that we had talked about last year and as a gamer, there were a lot of those features that I think really resonated and were smart features for people who really have a lot of games and maybe play on a couple consoles or have bunch of people in the house or want to share with friends," Spencer said. "As I look at our monthly update roadmap, those kind of features are in our roadmap. There is a little bit of a challenge now that you've got DRM on a disc."

"I haven't given up on those ideas," he added. "There's some complexity now that you've got these discs that have DRM that you've got to figure out. But it's definitely part of our [roadmap] with the overall product."

Writeup by GameSpot news editor Eddie Makuch (Twitter: @EddieMakuch)

Hope they find a way to work it in where it makes sense.

Edit: I still don't see why they can't do this with Digital Download titles. Or make it an option or.. whatever.

Edit 2 (read article:

Also during the podcast, the interviewer suggested that Microsoft could introduce a sharing plan for digital games only, but Spencer said this is also problematic. According to Spencer, it wouldn't exactly be fair for people who bought a physical copy of a game only to find out later that the digital version has an enhanced feature like digital sharing. "That's not an excuse for not doing it," Spencer admitted, adding that if this feature is ever implemented, it will be done "in the right way."

Mmmhmmm

How odd, I was listening to that podcast episode earlier. Anyway, would be interesting if they brought it back and how they did it

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Oh man, Family Sharing. What a hot button issue around here. Let's see if this ever sees the light of day in the form people claimed it would be.

Gestault

The "share Gold" with others on your Xbox feature was really well implemented, so it's good to see that same sort of philosophy is part of their conversations, behind the scenes.

Gestault

For you maybe.. I want more options.

Yeah, I can't imagine why someone would be against this, given the info we have. It's more options for no extra cost or risk in things one would be buying anyway. I mean it may never happen, but the idea being in the mix is good news to me.

see5harp

All you really need to add is some way to add timed access to profiles. If you install your profile and library on an external and bring it to a friends house doesn't it already work this way?

There is Complexity with these discs with DRM on them? WTF? That crazy scheme Microsoft revealed where you had to have DRM removed at select retailers just to sell or trade in a game, back when family sharing was a thing, that was complex.

I don't believe we will ever see Family Sharing, that's just my opinion, too many hoops to jump through, too many big publishers to make happy...

My wish (as gaming goes) is that Microsoft will be able to integrate Halo 5 into the MCC collection so that after you buy it you can install the game and play it from the same dashboard. It would be awesome but I don't think they will be able to do it without all the disc to digital stuff they scrapped.

It's a damn shame.

rrc1594

My wish (as gaming goes) is that Microsoft will be able to integrate Halo 5 into the MCC collection so that after you buy it you can install the game and play it from the same dashboard. It would be awesome but I don't think they will be able to do it without all the disc to digital stuff they scrapped.

It's a damn shame.

Give this man a Job

It's a damn shame.

Amazing idea.

According to Spencer, it wouldn't exactly be fair for people who bought a physical copy of a game only to find out later that the digital version has an enhanced feature like digital sharing
Yeah that's why you're not doing it

715.gif

It's a damn shame.

that would be amazing. someone get Frankie in here asap

hey Im the guy that asked Phil about Game Sharing :)

I get his answer of why they arent doing it but at the same time I feel that its their responsibility to educate the consumers on how it would work for physical and digital copies and use game sharing as an incentive to get us to purchase digital copies aka eliminating the used games market.

If MS would have done a better job at educating consumers a year ago, we'd all be enjoying Game Sharing right now.

Phil is a good dude, I think the Xbox team is in good hands

Duxxy3

Yeah, I can't imagine why someone would be against this, given the info we have. It's more options for no extra cost or risk in things one would be buying anyway. I mean it may never happen, but the idea being in the mix is good news to me.

Depends on if they attempt to mess with physical media again. If they want to do family sharing with digital purchases, hey whatever. If they start messing with the actual disks, I'm gone.

weeeeezy

Banned
I feel like this can be done so easily right now with digital titles. If I want to loan my digital game to a friend, I go online, put my game in my "digital locker" for my friend to pick up. I set an expiration time for when the game will be put back in my locker in case my friend forgets to release it. While the game is loaned out, my xbox gets updated to not allow me to play the game. The only way I can play it is either when my friend releases the game or when the loan period expires (or select an option that you want your game back immediately, so the next time my friend comes online it immediately gets released from his Xbox).

Caayn

Well the old-DRM is probably still laying dormant within the OS and game discs. Would be interesting to see MS create an updated versions of it and make it optional. Personally I would love for it to come back, but I understand why people don't want it.

It's a damn shame.
Discs shouldn't form a problem. Everything is installed anyway, it doesn't matter if it's installed via the marketplace or via a disc.

hey Im the guy that asked Phil about Game Sharing :)

I get his answer of why they arent doing it but at the same time I feel that its their responsibility to educate the consumers on how it would work for physical and digital copies and use game sharing as an incentive to get us to purchase digital copies aka eliminating the used games market.

If MS would have done a better job at educating consumers a year ago, we'd all be enjoying Game Sharing right now.

Phil is a good dude, I think the Xbox team is in good hands

Easier said than done. We would've had it for BOTH physical and digital copies of games, but *sigh*

My most missed old xbox one feature - Physical copies of games become completely digital once you install them to your console, no need to have the discs in order to play. No, I don't want to just buy digital. I want to be able to own and have the physical game discs themselves while still getting the full benefit of a digital game.

Qassim

I still hope they find a way to enable all their original plans but make it optional. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but it'd be so cool if they found a way.

Archpath1

People with a disc have some pretty cool features too, like handing the disc to friends, and being able to resell for some cash.

Give the digital buyers a break, the games hardly go on sale if they do it's small compared to retail, you can't resell; it's nice having less clutter, and being able to switch on the fly, but being able to share would be a good benefit
In theory:
My brother buys a game at his place shares it to me, and i can do vice versa if i bought a game he's interested in, it's cool, and your able to try it out, you like it go buy it then

Jomjom

Banned
Yeah that's why you're not doing it

715.gif

I don't get this reasoning. Physical buyers have the advantage of reselling their game, sometimes for the same or more than they even bought it at. Why is it not fair if digital buyers get a benefit?

They also get way more discounts, faster and bigger. For games that get released at retail, basically 100% of the time the game ends up being cheaper on physical media than it ever will be digitally.

Gestault

I don't know why we should believe this. What they originally planned had enough clear downsides that I think it's off-base to assume those here would have been happy because this one or two features were in place. If it's truly a question of adding a no-downside set of features like we are now, it becomes a question of whether they are/were ready to implement them. It sounds like they aren't and weren't, based on the interview.

The circumstances that they're trying to work these into have changed, and that's not a bad thing. The nature of the platform is different from originally planned, and most see that as a change for the better. It's understandable why that makes executing on these ideas more difficult, but it's not a case where all things would be equal if people have just "understood" better..

Sanpei

Game sharing is cool...Games cost me 50% cheaper at ps4 and xbone..

If MS wants to win against PS4, then let 3 or 4 people share the same game...Then resolution will be less important for people, because they'll play games paying much less money...
At ps4 you can be partner only one friend, game costs you half also...Then, why i should XO version of game if i have both console ? PS4 versions are mostly better at resolution..So give us sharing with more people then we ll buy xbone versions...Money is more important than resolution :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It's a damn shame.

You are not the first person to consider this. In fact not even the first on GAF.

Daylight

If they do find a way to do family sharing it will have to come with some sort of extra DRM, like the check in, imo. It will also have to be opt-in, lest they anger the masses once more.

New002

Neat. I'd be fine with family sharing working only with digitally purchased
copies, seems like a fair tradeoff.

People wouldn't be happy about it, but if MS are all about that digital future then doing something like this might persuade someone to go digital vs physical on a purchase.

I'll be interested to see how the implement this if they ever move forward with it. They are going to have to get the publishers on board so I wonder what that will mean as far as things like time limits, limited access to content (mp or sp only), family size limit, etc.

I'm all digital >_>.

jelly

I don't get this reasoning. Physical buyers have the advantage of reselling their game, sometimes for the same or more than they even bought it at. Why is it not fair if digital buyers get a benefit?

They also get way more discounts, faster and bigger. For games that get released at retail, basically 100% of the time the game ends up being cheaper on physical media than it ever will be digitally.

Neuromancer is saying it's a BS reason which is true. Microsoft won't do it because they never could.

Jomjom

Banned
Game sharing is cool...Games cost me 50% cheaper at ps4 and xbone..

If MS wants to win against PS4, then let 3 or 4 people share the same game...Then resolution will be less important for people, because they'll play games paying much less money...
At ps4 you can be partner only one friend, game costs you half also...Then, why i should XO version of game if i have both console ? PS4 versions are mostly better at resolution..So give us sharing with more people then we ll buy xbone versions...Money is more important than resolution :)

What would be the point of "beating" the PS4 when you are making 1/4 of the money you could be making on software?

Neuromancer is saying it's a BS reason which is true. Microsoft won't do it because they never could.

Yeah I understood him. I'm not saying Neuromancer's reasoning is BS, I'm saying MS's is. Makes no sense why they can't do digital family sharing right now if disc DRM is the issue, and makes no sense why they can't do digital family sharing because of "fairness" because digital has and still is the red-headed stepchild when it comes to benefits to the user.

I mean it's just ridiculous that I can get Destiny for $48 bucks and a $10 gift card at Best Buy day 1, but there will be absolutely no discounts for Destiny digitally.

Ranger X

They aren't doing it for the sole reason that they didn't find the "right way to do it".

Let me explain what "right way to do it" mean in corporate language:

"the way we will screw you without you complaining too much".

That's what it means. Because if they really wanted to do it, its fucking easy. You pay Gold like any family membership in the fucking world: price depends on how many people and their age. Then "gold" is accessible by all and also all that's been bought on that account.
Ain't that freaking easy? That's not the first time such a system has been designed.

blazeuk

Exactly, I'd have no issues with it being part of the benefits of digital downloads, those who buy that way are already paying a premium over disc based purchasing and even the sales are laughably bad so they deserve something.

Guevara

Maybe this is controversial but I don't think "Family Sharing" was ever even real. It was a convenient carrot to offset all the sticks with the initial Xbox One reveal.

Top Bottom