• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox One has a targeted launch date of late November 2013"

Duxxy3

Either way, they sell out and it doesn't matter.

There's a lot of anxiety around here about the release date. I doubt MS has that same anxiety. It just doesn't matter when they release the darn thing, just get it out. Before, after, same time as PS4, doesn't amount to a hill of beans. This holiday doesn't tell any story, provided one or the other doesn't fall flat on its face like Wii U.

Their problems are on the supply and services side: will they have enough and is the system software (voice, etc.) ready.

The hardware sells out, yes. I don't think anybody is saying otherwise (that has a limit though - they can not miss the holiday season). But that doesn't directly make retailers much money. Having stock on black friday gets people in stores to buy other games and accessories (where they make their money).

It's like the big screen tv for cheap. It gets people in the door so they can buy stuff they actually make money on.

And yes, black friday is not the biggest shopping day of the year. It is the catalyst that starts off the holiday shopping season and tends to have the best deals of the year.

MS announced the release date for the 360 at TGS 2005. That was 2 months before the 360 was released.

I guess they did that though because they were also launching in Japan that same year... and actually before the US. It would be crazy for them to do that there this time, basically waving the machine in their faces and saying "have fun waiting 6 months".

They really left a big chance to announce it at Gamescom, especially when they knew Sony were going to. The only thing I can think they'd announce it now is buying doing some sort of Nintendo Direct maybe. Or they could be going back to basics and just sending out a PR to everyone... I don't know.

I'd say it pretty much cements what Shaniele was saying earlier about a nov 27th launch

I may laugh so hard I wet myself if they announce a Nov 27th launch

Shaniele got a lot of stick in the last thread. She's going to make everyone eat crow soon enough :p

Amir0x

Banned
You guys are going to be shocked when its before the ps4

you're right, I will be a little shocked. But like I said in the other topic, whether Sony launches a week early or Microsoft launches a week early, the time gap between their releases is too small to have a genuine impact. It'll be a negligible win for either party who launches first, to the tune of maybe a few extra thousand units sold.

Because remember almost always that first week systems launch it's sold out and you have to wait at least a few days for the next shipment, so it's not like people will just be able to swarm in the time between system releases and gobble up every system available.

Skeff

I guess they did that though because they were also launching in Japan that same year... and actually before the US. It would be crazy for them to do that there this time, basically waving the machine in their faces and saying "have fun waiting 6 months".

They really left a big chance to announce it at Gamescom, especially when they knew Sony were going to. The only thing I can think they'd announce it now is buying doing some sort of Nintendo Direct maybe. Or they could be going back to basics and just sending out a PR to everyone... I don't know.

They need to announce it soon, I would suggest they could do another press conference but, it takes time to set up, Sony are having one on 9/9 and we've known about that maybe 2 weeks and had rumors of it for 2 months. If they announce a press event and give the same notice to press as sony did for their pre-TGS event then that would peg them around 26th September after TGS and cutting it really fine for retail partners ut especially for third party Devs trying to go gold.

Post E3 they didn't have the balls to announce until Sony moved. Now they need a big date to announce it, so that that isn't obvious. What's next? PAX? Basically then, and the date we've all guessed.

It's a huge shopping day, but it's a common myth that it's the biggest. That's usually right before Christmas.

It would still be a significant miss to not hit it, regardless.

Didn't know that but entirely believable

US media has gotten to me I guess

Claiming it as the biggest shopping day in America only helps retailers as people feel they must shop then

But that's just paranoia right?

It would be very weird to announce the release date during TGS. They've done some wacky shit with the xbone, but that would really take things to the next level.

Hmm if the announcement of the Xbox 360 release dates hadn't been at TGS in 2005 I would never believe it myself but MS is an odd duck to try and pin down

I can't tell if MS is trying to push into the Japanese market still. I think they don't really care anymore about Japan which would be the smart play but if CBOAT's platinum rumor is true that would imply they do still want to push in Japan

Sure about that? Xbox One has been looking like the console version of Windows Vista.

I've always looked at the PR moves this year as failure due to hubris not lack of intelligence

I was fairly irked by MS's vision of the future for gaming

There are intelligent people who work at MS, they just don't understand what the market wants and what consumers value

Hence I used silly to describe their arrogance and stubbornness

you're right, I will be a little shocked. But like I said in the other topic, whether Sony launches a week early or Microsoft launches a week early, the time gap between their releases is too small to have a genuine impact. It'll be a negligible win for either party who launches first, to the tune of maybe a few extra thousand units sold.

Because remember almost always that first week systems launch it's sold out and you have to wait at least a few days for the next shipment, so it's not like people will just be able to swarm in the time between system releases and gobble up every system available.
I agree with all that, Gaf always go crazy at stuff that really dont matter in the long run.

Exactly. And the true launch winner will be the one with the most consoles shipped to stores across all launch countries. ;)

How accurate would Doritos be though? I don't think they would be that privy to this kind of info from MS.

ibrrtQ9fWo0l2u.jpg

Yoday

MS announced the release date for the 360 at TGS 2005. That was 2 months before the 360 was released.
Yep, and the X360 launch was extremely rushed and a complete mess with very few units.

How accurate would Doritos be though? I don't think they would be that privy to this kind of info from MS.
They probably have a better idea of a release date than developers. I would think marketing departments would be more likely to have specific release info than game creators. Developers would probably be more likely to have a date to be ready for cert by.

for me it has no meaning. For doritos to claim late november they guarantee that if it releases any day in November they are fine. Coming before a promised date has no backlash but coming after will piss many off.

GhaleonEB

I used to be all straight Nacho thuggish style...but then I tried Spicy Nacho and it's infinitely better--even more thuggish I should say really.

Yes. Spicy Nacho > Nacho. I'm going to the store soon. There goes a few bucks.

The 22nd does seem more and more likely.

Tonguer

I can't shake this feeling that MS is still trying to pull into early November to beat Sony, AND that Sony is secretly ready to leap even sooner. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think they both want to launch first, and I don't take any dates to heart at this point.

They'll launch when Amazon drops 'em on my doorstep, I guess. It would be bonkers if they showed up in the same delivery. Bonkers.

Top Bottom