• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One has non-replaceable hard drive, external storage is supported

iNvid02

xbox-one-620.jpg

We had the opportunity to chat with Albert Penello, senior director of product planning at Microsoft this afternoon, who was kind enough to clarify a few topics for us regarding the recently-unveiled Xbox One. One thing we were quick to ask about was the integrated storage. 500GB sounds like a lot today -- but so did the 20GB unit in the original Xbox 360. The HDD there was, at least, replaceable. Can you do the same with its successor?

Sadly, no. Hard drives in the Xbox One are non-user-serviceable, but Penello confirmed that the USB 3.0 port is there for external storage, which can be used for everything the internal storage can be used for. That includes game installs and downloads. So, don't fret: adding storage will be just as easy as ever.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/...utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

The_Monk

While that is great news, the console + Kinect + external hard drive are 3 things that I wouldn't like to see on a Clean minimalistic setup.

But yes, this is good news!

squidyj

So the external hard drive is going to sit next to the cable box and the console?

more customizable less addons would be great.

iNvid02

USB 3.0 should be fast enough, multi-terabyte drives are cheap and hopefully it not being proprietary means you can backup or clone the whole external drive in case of failure

if they start selling their own overpriced external storage they can go fuck themselves

Raide

Non removable HDD with optional USB 3.0 port for plug n play is good news compared to what it was this gen for Microsoft peeps.

Yes it is. It isn't what Sony did this gen but it's a step forward for Microsoft.

Exactly. At least developers know every unit has a good chunk of storage to play with,

Eusis

Non-removable? I'd really prefer to have the system as one piece rather than dividing it up like I'd have to with the Wii, though at least onboard would be sufficient for quite awhile I hope. Though if the hard drive dies that takes the whole damn system, so I just keep getting further disinclined from the system... though I half suspect Sony will end up doing similarly, hopefully not though.

jabuseika

I really don't want extra things on the side, why can't it be replaceable.
So are there any positive news coming out of this conference.

UFRA

Why is this good news?

One of my favorite features of PS3 this gen has been my ability to upgrade the HDD over the years several times to meet my needs.

Went from original 60GB > 320GB > 500GB. (now in a slim)

Last thing I want is to have an external HDD laying around that I have to plug in whenever I want to access stuff on it.

conman

What the what? The details about this thing get more inane with each passing minute. This isn't "easy." It's stupid.

As if this thing weren't big enough, now we've got a huge power brick and another huge brick of an external HDD--especially if we have to install everything we play.

This console just makes absolutely no sense to me. So many quirks, problems, and general awkwardness.

Darknight

This is certainly not good news.

Why cant you the hdd be hot-swapable with other 2.5 hdds like a PS3 incase you want your internal storage space to be more than 500GB?

Why not have that plus external drive support for those not techy enough to remove and install a bigger drive?

It's greAt till the HDD dies and you need to send it to MS...

Oh god and this is a major concern too.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Well, that's nice but I hate attached storage in my media shelving.
Was hoping I could just replace with a 1TB drive right off the bat whenever I got one.

I really hope PS4 will allow for user replaced drives like PS3.

This too. Would annoy me to have 500GB internal that I couldn't use.

scarybore

This news confirmed my suspicions and it's not ideal, but being able to hook up a USB3 HHD removes my fears over it, glad Microsoft saw sense with that.

500GB sounds like a lot today -- but so did the 20GB unit in the original Xbox 360

Yeah, not really.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Exactly why this is dumb as hell. I have had horrible luck with hard drives over the years. Every brand I have had fail on me some time or another. Don't need a dead console that I can't fix when the hard drive eventually fails. I could careless about external storage not going to hook up another device on a console.

Protome

That sucks. Anecdotally I've had far more experiences of USB HDDs dying than internal ones. Needing to rely on them for my system to expand the memory sounds awful.

malfcn

Do they have a transfer solution in place for revisions?

What is the 360 external cap at? I don't want to have to buy a HDD or jump through hoops if I buy a hardware upgrade. Or if the thing fails.

Linkified

If you can use an external hard drive it's kinda a non issue. The bigger 'eh!' is that MS made a huge hunk of change from their HDD solution this gen. This whole console seems weird.

iNvid02

do we know if the external drives will have to be proprietary or not?

this is like the last small piece of good news remaining about the xbox one, i bet they can bash its head in with a rock too

Top Bottom