• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - Help Spread the Word

Guys, I know that we're all still in shell-shock over today's news. It doesn't matter if you're a Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft fan, this is upsetting news. The precedent that Microsoft is making with this console is primed to destroy everything we love about gaming. I don't need to list the multitude of reasons why this is so, so I'll just leave this, an image by alr1ght that sums everything up:

drm4yjrw.png

I know that GAF is well aware of the changes to our collective gaming culture, but there are many who will not understand the message. Parents, Grandparents, children. Let's help them avoid the nightmare of an "Xbox One Christmas morning".

GAF is about games, it's about fun, and more importantly it's about a group of individuals that recognizes games as art, and a part of that history. That "art" is about to be placed around several paywalls, and our "history" will be lost as soon as Microsoft pulls the server plug.

We've supported the industry our whole lives, we deserve better than this. We should not have to settle for these disgusting tactics to enjoy our favorite pastime.

It's time to get the word out.

Be as slacktivist if you'd like. Share this image on Twitter and Facebook. Even better, print this image out and paste it near your closest electronic or games retailer.

We need to kill this before it becomes the standard, and we need your help! Let's harness the power of GAF, and save video games.

Thanks to alr1ght for creating a printable, .pdf copy:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rufjykl55qmymas/DRM.pdf

Edit: Since it keeps being brought up, I will have no problem drafting a similar thread if Sony follows suit. This isn't about console wars, it's about rejecting this anti-consumer behavior.

jtb

Banned
how does this destroy everything I love about gaming?

i love iOS. and steam.

but mainly iOS

the friend thing needs to be updated. it should say on your xbox friends list or something. what if someone else reads that and think otherwise.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Either the Xbox line goes bankrupt or I quit non-Nintendo console gaming altogether.

We're walking backwards.

The Lamp

how does this destroy everything I love about gaming?

i love iOS. and steam.

but mainly iOS

Because as isolated as you want the industry to be, Microsofts heavy decisions have serious implications for the future of the industry as a whole.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Will probably have to start makng a PS4 version as well D:

I don't see why?

Sony have already confirmed the PS4 doesn't require an internet connection, all Sony published games can be traded/bought used. The PS eye isn't mandatory, etc.

pixlexic

Banned
Quit with all the hyperbole. I think their approach may just help gamers more than hurt.

But only time will tell.

Proelite

MS is pretty up front with the constraints on their site. This is pretty redundant.

I for one will be buying the console day one because nothing on the list affects me. But I can see how someone is a less unfortunate situation would not be tempted to get one.

watership

Oh man. Really?

"SPREAD THE WORD! MS IS GOING TO SCREW YOU OVER WITH THEIR SECRET EVIL!"

"Wow! They are? How did you find out!"

"THEY TOTALLY POSTED A DETAILED ACCOUNT OF HOW ITS GOING TO WORK ON THEIR NEWS SITE!"

"...what?"

pixlexic

Banned
And how do you know you will get less trade in credit? you might possibly get more without the game stop tax added.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm 100% on board for any boycott. We'll cross this bridge with Sony as well if they go down this road.

Microsoft has now come out in the open and stood behind what we all feared. There's no confusion left but in the tiniest nuances of this story: they are gunning for us as consumers, and it's either we stop it now or this industry radically changes into something not worth saving (if it even survives at all anyway).

If this not worth a boycott, absolutely no bit of game news would ever warrant such. If this is not worth a boycott, then we might as well all just go home and allow any business to take advantage of us simply because we don't want to put in the effort to push back. If this is not worth a boycott, then we never really loved games in the first place and this hobby of ours needs to go down in flames anyway.

I say, if this is not worth a boycott, then nothing in this industry ever would be.

hwy_61

Banned
Who is this for? The Dudebros/Mainstream?

You think they give a single fuck about any of this?

C'mon.

EDIT: I agree with everyone here, I'm just trying to figure who I'm supposed to spread the word out to.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People who "don't care" can go join the same people who "don't care" about NSA data mining over in the OT.... and take a long walk off a short pier.

MoeB

I'll be posting these above the urinals at my school.
Hopefully nobody tries to aim for the xbox. But then again, I wouldn't blame them.

Leflus

But I like the new kinect. Why would I want to disconnect it?

The rest of the list is scary stuff, though.

Cynar

I'm 100% on board for any boycott. We'll cross this bridge with Sony as well if they go down this road.

Microsoft has now come out in the open and stood behind what we all feared. There's no confusion left but in the tiniest nuances of this story: they are gunning for us as consumers, and it's either we stop it now or this industry radically changes into something not worth saving (if it even survives at all anyway).

If this not worth a boycott, absolutely no bit of game news would ever warrant such. If this is not worth a boycott, then we might as well all just go home and allow any business to take advantage of us simply because we don't want to put in the effort to push back. If this is not worth a boycott, then we never really loved games anyway, and this hobby of ours needs to go down in flames anyway.

I say, if this is not worth a boycott, then nothing in this industry ever would be.

I am definitely boycotting this and spreading the word in person, on facebook and on twitter. It's frustrating because I was so hyped for this but then all the awful rumours came true. Sad times.

quickwhips

you can share your games with 10 people. Yet you say you can't lend the games. I won't be spreading information that is partially wrong.

Top Bottom