• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - Help Spread the Word

The dorms at my university do not allow online gaming and nobody can connect to Xbox Live.
I know my school is not the only one. The amount of people I went to school with who had 360s is crazy. If nobody can play their Xbox one at my school, there's going to be some unhappy underclassmen.

Holy shit, didn't realize video games were a basic human right like access to clean water.

It sucks that you can't have everything you want in life if you can't afford it, but if you can't afford buying a couple of $60 games a year are you really in a secure enouph position to be buying the latest and greatest technology.

I'm not saying craziness like a low income person can't have a HD TV but they should be buying the 32inch RCA for $299 not some $5000 4k TV.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
So like you, who saved your money, a kid saves their money, to buy it, and they want to buy used games, or rent a game, what then?

You buy the used games.

What I've learned today is that shit will be relatively close to the same

Some games will be available used. Some will not. End of story. It's up to the devs to make them available or not.

K.Sabot

Holy shit, didn't realize video games were a basic human right like access to clean water.

It sucks that you can't have everything you want in life if you can't afford it, but if you can't afford buying a couple of $60 games a year are you really in a secure enouph position to be buying the latest and greatest technology.

I'm not saying craziness like a low income person can't have a HD TV but they should be buying the 32inch RCA for $299 not some $5000 4k TV.

Just stop man.

You're digging yourself into an elitism hole that nobody comes out of.

VegaNine

KazHeart.gif

Halfmunch

I'm going to wait and see how this plays out...
It's interesting how vocal we are yet Steam doesn't allow some of the same things.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Why can't you pay more, poors?

Dead Man

I'm going to wait and see how this plays out...
It's interesting how vocal we are yet Steam doesn't allow some of the same things.

God, the Steam comparison is so busted it is embarrassing that people keep bringing it up. Just stop.

NOPE.

Just stop man.

You're digging yourself into an elitism hole that nobody comes out of.

It's not elitism it's a fact of life.

I want a BMW M5, bit I couldn't afford one unless I saved for a few years, and even then the maintenance would be probably out of my current budget range.

So I drive a scion, that I can afford.

Much like the low income people will have to wait till the prices come down. It's not fair but it is what it is.

Except, once again, it's not as restrictive. Not even close. And Steam is available on non MS systems now, too. Not sure about Amazon.

There is nothing sensible about chuckling at something you're not quite understanding. That's just sort of arrogance.

Groovy. But if you start with name calling, you don't get to turn around and pretend to get upset at other people name calling. "Us normals" is not conducive to grown up discussion.

I know, I use steam on my Mac. But that doesn't change the fact that if you want a good selection of games that rivals what you'll find on the Xbox One or the PS4, you're going to need Windows.

DRM is DRM in my book. I think the fact that prices fall so fast on Steam suggests that they will also fall fast on the Xbox One.

There is nothing stopping Microsoft from changing the check up period and I believe when Steam first implemented an offline gaming system, it was just as bad as this one. But things changed since then.

This isn't as bad as some here are making it out to be. As a result of the MELTDOWNS, I've had many sensible chuckles.

BocoDragon

I want a BMW M5, bit I couldn't afford one unless I saved for a few years, and even then the maintenance would be probably out of my current budget range.

Much like the low income people will have to wait till the prices come down. It's not fair but it is what it is.
Or we could do this the same way we've done it for the last 30 years and those who are trying to change the game can get stuffed.

what fight? who are we fighting?

Seriously, talk to a government representative about anti-consumer practices of DRM.

Fight for the hearts and minds, sir.
Information, afterall is the most powerful weapon. I want to spread the facts and let people know just what their getting into when they buy it.

In my country, MS marketed XBL on the packaging of the 360 at launch, yet did not officially support it until years later (petitions did the trick!) . Our advertising standards agencies tried to take them to task to integrate XBL, as we were getting on by workarounds (UK accounts), instead, they just stopped writing XBL on the boxes, so their not legally in the wrong. Now they want to pull this stunt..

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I know, I use steam on my Mac. But that doesn't change the fact that if you want a good selection of games that rivals what you'll find on the Xbox One or the PS4, you're going to need Windows.

DRM is DRM in my book. I think the fact that prices fall so fast on Steam suggests that they will also fall fast on the Xbox One.

There is nothing stopping Microsoft from changing the check up period and I believe when Steam first implemented an offline gaming system, it was just as bad as this one. But things changed since then.

This isn't as bad as some here are making it out to be. As a result of the MELTDOWNS, I've had many sensible chuckles.

All DRM isn't created equal. You frame that as if it's an opinion. It's not. There are different forms of DRM, some are far less restrictive than others. This is factual.

BocoDragon

Did this happen when the PS3 was released at a ridiculous price point?
Of course it did? That was horrible? One of the biggest backlashes to a console ever, until now.

But the main issue here is locking down the ability to buy and sell games. This is worse than the initial cost of entry, and it goes beyond money.

soundscream said:
Lower income families shouldn't be buying $400+ video game boxes. $100-150 Wii/Xbox/PS3 should be where their money should go if at all.

I don't mean to shock you so you better sit down.

Are you sitting? Okay, we've discovered that you've come down with an awful case of Kuchera's disease. Your red blood cells can no longer carry enough empathy to your brain. Oh what's that? You don't have insurance? I'm sorry lower income people shouldn't be expecting medical care.
#Deal with it.

RagnarokX

Terrible analogy. A game console has a high one-time cost that can be enjoyed on the cheap afterwards. XBone is making that impossible.

Dead Man

Are you sitting? Okay, we've discovered that you've come down with an awful case of Kuchera's disease. Your red blood cells can no longer carry enough empathy to your brain. Oh what's that? You don't have insurance? I'm sorry lower income people shouldn't be expecting medical care.
#Deal with it.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Proelite

#Deal with it.

So many poor kids are going to die because they couldn't affort their games this Christmas. Not defending soundscream, but you're making a bad analogy.

:p

Nash20

Banned
Groovy. But if you start with name calling, you don't get to turn around and pretend to get upset at other people name calling. "Us normals" is not conducive to grown up discussion.

A grown up discussion would be great. Stop lobbying for my ban and respond to my actual point. The only thing I find odd is the 24 hour check in, which actually doesn't affect me at all since my console is always plugged into the internet, and if I am affected by any sort of natural disaster the last thing on my mind will be playing videogames.

Digital rentals and purchases of movies/tv shows are outpacing physical copies, digital music is outpacing cds, ect... This is the future, im sorry you cant trade in your movies or music anymore but consumers have made their choice. I honestly don't see how or why it would be any different with videogames. It wouldn't surprise me at all if by the end of this generation the majority of videogame sales were digital.

nib95

Banned

What if you bought a BMW M5 but BMW decided who could drive it, who you could lend it to, who you could sell it to etc. That's what this boils down to, consumer rights and value being taken away from them. Stop being so damn obtuse about it.

Proelite

What if you bought a BMW M5 but BMW decided who could drive it, who you could lend it to, who you could sell it to abs worse. That's what this boils down to, consumer rights and value being taken away from them. Stop being so damn obtuse about it.

Not sure why would you get a BMW M5.

Mercedes-Benz 4life.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What if you bought a BMW M5 but BMW decided who could drive it, who you could lend it to, who you could sell it to etc. That's what this boils down to, consumer rights and value being taken away from them. Stop being so damn obtuse about it.

Have you ever heard of the DMV?
People without drivers licenses aren't allowed to drive cars, yeah?

If you get caught without registration, you're boned...

I'm sorry, but that didn't work well in your favor.

#Deal with it.

I am in favor of government sponsored health care because its something that everyone needs. When a videogame system becomes necessary to sustain life I'll change my opinion.

Socreges

Banned
Can you explain this thread you made back in 2012:

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462068

The title of which is:looks like i may be working on Xbox 720

Never, ever mess with Detective-GAF. That's some Grade A sleuthing.

Haha oh my god. They're leaving BREAD TRAILS for us now? This is the true next generation of videogaming right now. All fourth wall breaking and shit lol
Chill the fuck out, guys. If you're going to have such a hard-on for sleuthing, maybe start with his last several posts (prior to the 'incriminating' one) where he complains about Microsoft along with everyone else.

I have no problems with any of this :\

I actually think it's kind of neat that I can access my entire game library wherever I go and that I don't need a disc. Also, it sounds like you can basically give a free copy away to a friend? That seems pretty sweet if that's true

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A grown up discussion would be great. Stop lobbying for my ban and respond to my actual point. The only thing I find odd is the 24 hour check in, which actually doesn't affect me at all since my console is always plugged into the internet, and if I am affected by any sort of natural disaster the last thing on my mind will be playing videogames.

Digital rentals and purchases of movies/tv shows are outpacing physical copies, digital music is outpacing cds, ect... This is the future, im sorry you cant trade in your movies or music anymore but consumers have made their choice. I honestly don't see how or why it would be any different with videogames. It wouldn't surprise me at all if by the end of this generation the majority of videogame sales were digital.

...who's lobbying for your ban? I addressed with you the point I wanted to make. Sorry if I'm not responding to anything else. I don't particularly care about any of it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm definitely not getting an X1 at launch. Currently not planning to ever. I might get one a couple of years from now for an exclusive game. But otherwise no. This business practice deserves to burn in a fire.

Proelite

I have no problems with any of this :\

I actually think it's kind of neat that I can access my entire game library wherever I go and that I don't need a disc. Also, it sounds like you can basically give a free copy away to a friend? That seems pretty sweet if that's true

How much did they pay you to write this post.

I keed.

eastmen

Banned
I can see how some people can be upset about some of these things. However looking at my purchase habits over the last decade of gaming I can't find myself being upset with any of this.

In the last 5 years although I've traveled the USA ,Italy, Canada I can't even name a hotel that didn't at least have paid internet as an option. In fact its had to be at least half a decade since I haven't had internet and that time I think it was a cruise .

I also don't buy used or trade in games. I buy a game day of very rarely and most of my games are bought for $30 and under new.

I also don't mind Kinect , mostly cause I use it a lot for Netflix and the guide.

I'm actually happy with what was announced today and was afraid that I'd have to buy a disc for each xbox in my house since I tend to play games in multiple rooms.

nib95

Banned
Have you ever heard of the DMV?
People without drivers licenses aren't allowed to drive cars, yeah?

If you get caught without registration, you're boned...

I'm sorry, but that didn't work well in your favor.

What the hell are you talking about? Obviously I meant lending to people who have a drivers license. You can easily borrow a nice car off a friend or family for a day, and if it doesn't already have a third party insurance policy, you can add insurance just for the day for peanuts. I do it all the time.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What the hell are you talking about? Obviously I meant lending to people who have a drivers license. You can easily borrow a nice car off a friend or family for a day, and if it doesn't already have a third party insurance policy, you can add insurance just for the day for peanuts. I do it all the time.

You can borrow a game off a friend for a day, and you can play your families games all you want if you're connected on the same xb1...

Top Bottom