• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One launch title download sizes

Dunlop

man that all digital future would have been hilarious

i am almost sad now at the lost comedy gold

You know they were still selling the disks right? There is no difference to what we have now. It was the licencing check and used game market that were impacted

With Xbox Fitness being free, who the hell is going to buy Zumba?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Call of Duty: Ghost disc installation info:

qveR8jU.png

xsVkB0H.png

4hhdTZq.png

a7SlcwG.png

ff8qwOQ.png

Ryder

Are all these games mandatory installs to play the game? Because if it is your Hard Drive is going to be full really quickly.

Killthee

Are all these games mandatory installs to play the game? Because if it is use your Hard Drive is going to be full really quickly.

There's mandatory installs on both consoles for all retail games. On PS4 I think you can start playing from the get go and the system will install the data in the background while playing, but I'm not 100% sure. On the Xbox One, you need to install a portion of the game (apparently a pretty large one for Ghost) before you can play and then after that it'll start installing the rest of the data in game.

Ryder

There's mandatory installs on both consoles for all retail games. On PS4 I think you can start playing from the get go and the system will install the data in the background while playing, but I'm not 100% sure. On the Xbox One, you need to install a portion of the game (apparently a pretty large one for Ghost) before you can play and then after that it'll start installing the rest of the data in game.

thanks, after the game has been installed fully do you still need your disk to play the game or you dont need it like with PC games as that would be cool i guess.

zychi

Banned
thanks, after the game has been installed fully do you still need your disk to play the game or you dont need it like with PC games as that would be cool i guess.
You need the disk, this was one of the features console gamers flipped out and lost about with drm

Killthee

I thought you could play while it installs? What happened to that feature?
Still there, but you have to wait till the first chunk of data installs before you can launch the game. I think it was always referenced to work that way.

qR5CkTs.png

You can't really judge the installation wait times by one game though. Ghost is cross gen, the long initial install time for Ghost might be cause the devs weren't overly concerned with minimizing the required data necessary to boot the game.

Should be noted that the guy is awful with time. Said 45 seconds for start up and corrected himself to 17, said it'd been 20 minutes since he stopped playing a game and it was 40 or so, etc.
Yeah I saw that so I made sure to keep the time stamp of all his tweets in the pics I posted. They seem pretty close to his estimate if he tweeted "loading ghost" as soon as he was able to boot the game.

Alx

NEXT GEN EXPERIENCE: Must wait 25 minutes for game to install before playing.

So Awesome.

Yeah, that sucks. It gives me flashbacks of PC gaming, being able to play as soon as you put a disc in was the thing I appreciated the most on my first consoles. :/

Lucifon

NEXT GEN EXPERIENCE: Must wait 25 minutes for game to install before playing.

So Awesome.

I suspect you'll see this improve a lot. Being launch titles and a cross gen game used as an example. I imagine as time goes on devs will start being much smarter with their install methods to get people playing quicker.

dreamfall

EA Sports- I just don't understand.

Ported from this gen? Built from the ground up? Those download sizes are tiny. Maybe the devs are masters at not taking up too much space.

But seeing 2K vs Live... Jesus Bynum save us all.

WAIT you gave to install and have to install the whole thing before playing?

This has to be the final shit storm CBoaT was talking about.

Fredrik

the person said it was playable at 50%
What about the 25 minutes he mentioned? Did he clock it? And was it 50% installed and playable or fully installed by that time?
Mandatory installs and 25 minutes installation time would not go down well I think.

The shit storm is going to happen when this news seeps out of this thread. That's absolutely brutal. Should make for a fun Saturday to read.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
A DH team member at their forum said KI is 2.4 GBs to start playing during download, and the full file is about 3.4 GBs.

Maybe I missed something in the past few months.... do we need to download games to play them :S. Are games not playable without downloading now?

Racer1977

What the fuck do you need 30GB+ for? The textures aren't nearly big enough to even remotely justify that. No compression or what?
Seems to me, if a AAA game is not 25-30gb plus, it's basically a slightly improved current gen title. You can see that with the comparisons between the NBA games.

So you have to wait for 50% of the game to install before playing. That seems like it could be pretty annoying going forward....

The shit storm is going to happen when this news seeps out of this thread. That's absolutely brutal. Should make for a fun Saturday to read.

Do we know if the PS4 doesn't have a similar requirement in that it needs to install 50% before you can play?

Racer1977

So you have to wait for 50% of the game to install before playing. That seems like it could be pretty annoying going forward....

Do we know if the PS4 doesn't have a similar requirement in that it needs to install 50% before you can play?
There's an initial install, but it seems just enough to play the first stage/level, with the rest downloaded in the background.

There's an initial install, but it seems just enough to play the first stage/level, with the rest downloaded in the background.

Yeah, I figured it was the initial download. Seems pretty excessive before it allows you to start playing. Would have made a lot more sense to have a similar method to the first two Arkham games on PS3 where you could start playing almost immediately and it would install in the background...

Top Bottom