• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: List of issues/problems with the reveal/platform policies

nib95

Banned
Since I'm all for taking polarizing issues and turning them into constructive exercises, I thought it fair to take nib95's OT and organize it a bit. He had quite a few 'doubles' on the list, plus, some issues really are non-issues (The name of the console) or not actually issues with the system itself (COD looking pants). Still it begged for some organization.

In addition, many of the problems are contingent upon ms's disorganization with regards to many of the policies it as of yet has not clarified, (ie, the used game issue). So, lets lump them into what is and is not confirmed, and what are issues with the hardware itself.

---

"Confirmed" Issues:
- Forced online activation for all games
- Massive emphasis on TV, services and non game related focus
- Live TV services available in US only at launch, requires separate device
- No self publishing for indie devs
- No headset included
- Over emphasis on Kinect interface
- Xbox One not being backwards compatible with the 360 games or accessories.
- Microsoft's failed attempts to correct PR with contradicting FAQ's, vague responses, misinformation.

Hardware:
- DDR3 confirmed instead of GDDR5
- Potentially Only 5GB of the 8GB ram available for games
- Only HDMI for output.
- 3 OS's? At best, confusing, at worst, a nightmare.
- Kinect needed to be plugged in for Xbox One to function
- Non-replaceable Hard Drive (though not as much an issue, as external drives are supported similar to other consoles. could be a repair issue, though)
- Console uses a large external power brick (Conflirmed by DF/Wired)
- Console is not designed to be placed on its side

Problems with the announcement itself:
- EA games prerendered using in game assets
- COD looked less than stellar
- Quantum break reveal was confusing

Unconfirmed issues that still need clarification:
- How much is this gonna cost?
- Complex used games system that is anti consumer?
- How the hell does game borrowing work?
- Charged fee for playing used games on non linked profile?
- Console that needs to be connected to internet every 24 hrs to play games? (Phil Harrison says one thing, ms backtracked a bit later)

Cake Boss

Banned
jbr6Nm9O8DQiyv.jpg

MarkusRJR

Sorry for the copy & paste from a different thread, but these are the big issues imo with the Xbox One from what we've seen.

1. Fees for playing a used game. Very anti-consumer; resale value of your games will plummet and you aren't able to share games with your friends anymore. It also remains unknown what will happen to your games 8-10 years from now once the game activation servers are down.
2. 24 hour online DRM.
3. No backwards compatibility with Xbox, Xbox 360, XBLA, or XBLIG.
4. No compelling games announced (personally).
5. Kinect required. Not specified whether Kinect 2.0 will work in small places at all. Kinect barely worked (or just didn't work) in a lot of scenarios. Also, Kinect 2.0 being included is bound to increase the price of the console dramatically.
6. No launch price or launch date.
7. Only HDMI for output, leaving people unable to use composite or component cables.
8. Less than impressive specs.
9. Ads taking up the entire right side of the dashboard. Ads were bad on the 360 but never this bad.
10. Focus more on TV, sports, "social", and less on actual games.
11. MS is pushing indies away (no self publishing and seemingly no interest in getting developer support)
12. Bulky, boring design reminiscent of old VHS/Betamax players.
13. Installs now required before every game, making you wait before you can play your games (installs were bad on PS3, but these will be worse since it'll be the entire game being installed).
14. Most of the services announced or existing will not work outside of the United States.
15. Online still costs money for basic services (internet browser, YouTube, Netflix, Skype, etc).

Courage

Perfect list. I hope they reverse some of them, but some I don't mind. I can live with the name and the hard drive, for example.

nib95

Banned
Sorry if this has been discussed a lot already, but what is this? I tried a quick search and couldn't find any.

Phil Harrison said one thing, Xbox Support another, then Phil another, then Xbox Support said he was wrong, then they said their info was being updated, then Major Nelson and others chimed in, then Phil Harrison came back with renewed info that basically said the same thing...etc. Pretty embarrassing situation all around.

Kazerei

Banned
The non-replaceable hard drive is no big deal, you can add an external through USB

No, you can't. A lot of people see that as a positive

LOL, the OP definitely has a negative slant. Would be nice if it just tried to be informative, first and foremost.

It's been a long day.

def sim

I was going to, but from my understanding several users actually like using AA's instead of having built in lithium ion. Different strokes...

What is the argument for integrated batteries on a controller? I only ask because I saw your post pre-edit.

ultron87

It isn't a used games fee. It is just buying the game again because lending games is impossible because discs don't mean anything.

JaggedSac

Phil Harrison said one thing, Xbox Support another, then Phil another, then Xbox Support said he was wrong, then they said their info was being updated, then Major Nelson and others chimed in, then Phil Harrison came back with renewed info that basically said the same thing...etc. Pretty embarrassing situation all around.

Yep, I don't think they can come back from this.

My biggest issue is that features and things that matter the most to me were tossed as if they don't matter. Sharing and recording videos is what matters to me. Background installation matters to me. Games matter to me. 5.1 Surround sound headset connection matters to me. Future of Xbox Live and the fees matter to me. Many more things were "Oh. We have this important feature and games that we will talk about after the conference, but LOOK AT THIS!! XBOX SNAP!!"

E3 can't come sooner.

squidyj

did you see some of the tweets? They reminded me of the terrible infomercials for shit like the snuggie

"every time I watch TV it's so complicated! THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!"

Courage

For some reason I think MS will reverse everything they fucked up on E3.

There's no way they're this stupid.

I still have some faith.

TheHater

- Complex used games system that is anti consumer
- Charged fee for playing used games on non linked profile
- Console that needs to be connected to internet every 24 hours to play games
- Very few games shown at the event
- Massive emphasis on TV, services and non game related stuff
- Rumoured (relatively weak) hardware confirmed
- Epic PR disaster with conflicting reports from Microsoft and it's heads
- Xbox support on twitter going AWOL
- Microsoft's failed attempts to correct PR with contradicting FAQ's, vague responses, misinformation, lies etc
- Kinect needed to be plugged in for Xbox One to function
- Over emphasis on Kinect
- Always watching and on Kinect is a tad creepy
- Xbox One having non-replaceable Hard Drive's
These one are really pissing me off.

JaggedSac

My biggest issue is that features and things that matter the most to me were tossed as if they don't matter. Sharing and recording videos is what matters to me. Background installation matters to me. Games matter to me. 5.1 Surround sound headset connection matters to me. Future of Xbox Live and the fees matter to me. Many more things were "Oh. We have this important feature and games that we will talk about after the conference, but LOOK AT THIS!! XBOX SNAP!!"

E3 can't come sooner.

A very sane post.

nib95

Banned
What is the argument for integrated batteries on a controller? I only ask because I saw your post pre-edit.

Having to take out batteries, put them in a charger and then put new batteries in, is quicker and easier than plugging in a charging cable that could be far away from your controller, or from switching controllers whilst the other charges?

Fewr

- Not enough Monster Hunter.

thanks for the list, just got home and found it very informative

- The console itself looks like 2 1980's VCR's glued together

- They actually spent time talking about a Halo TV show. What the fuck does that have to do with anything?!

East Lake

Thanks for the thread. I don't have the energy to read this stuff real time anymore lol. The scope of bad decisions is pretty impressive.

def sim

Having to take out batteries, put them in a charger and then put new batteries in, is quicker and easier than plugging in a charging cable that could be far away from your controller, or from switching controllers whilst the other charges?

Rechargeable batteries can last a while, more so than the ones found on the Dualshock and the 360 official pack. You can buy a pack of four and always have them ready. Changing batteries is not difficult.

nib95

Banned
- Not enough Monster Hunter.

thanks for the list, just got home and found it very informative

No worries dude.

- The console itself looks like 2 1980's VCR's glued together

- They actually spent time talking about a Halo TV show. What the fuck does that have to do with anything?!

I actually like the design of the console lol. Though it is a bit too large, and that's not including the still external power brick...

Also quite excited for the Halo TV Series!

Bullza2o

Ohhh! I thought OP meant Epic Games PR.

But yeah that was quite terrible.

Courage

E3 can't come sooner.

They will definitely focus on that more on E3. This was their mainstream event. Every newspaper and website will report on this, and have already. They're getting the word out with all these new features and then they will focus on us. And even if you disagree with this, this was their plan in the beginning, as they stated.

nbthedude

Sorry for the copy & paste from a different thread, but these are what I think are the big issues with the Xbox One from what we've seen.

1. Fees for playing a used game meaning resale value of your games will plummet. It also remains unknown what will happen to your games 8-10 years from now once the game activation servers are down.
2. 24 hour online DRM.
3. No backwards compatibility.
4. No compelling games announced (personally).
5. Kinect required. Not specified whether Kinect 2.0 will work in small places at all. Kinect barely worked (or just didn't work) in a lot of scenarios. Also, Kinect 2.0 being included is bound to increase the price of the console dramatically.
6. No launch price or launch date.
7. Only HDMI for output, leaving people unable to use composite or component cables.
8. Less than impressive specs.
9. Ads taking up the entire right side of the dashboard. Ads were bad on the 360 but never this bad.
10. Focus more on TV, sports, "social", and less on actual games.
11. MS is pushing indies away (no self publishing and seemingly no interest in getting developer support)
12. Bulky, boring design reminiscent of old VHS/Betamax players.
13. Installs now required before every game, making you wait before you can play your games (installs were bad on PS3, but these will be worse since it'll be the entire game being installed).
14. Most of the services announced or existing will not work outside of the United States.
15. Online still costs money for basic services (internet browser, YouTube, Netflix, Skype, etc).

Bolded shpuld be added to the OP.

Top Bottom