• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: live TV available in US only at launch, requires separate device

Modern cable boxes can be controlled through HDMI. I guess it'll fall back on IR otherwise.

It basically combines the functions of a DVR and something like a Logitech Harmony with voice control on top.

In theory, they could add it if the channel switching is reliable, but it currently does not have any DVR functionality. (unless you count recording game videos)
http://www.shacknews.com/article/79306/xbox-one-does-not-provide-any-built-in-dvr-capabilities

"Xbox One does not provide any built-in DVR capabilities, but on your Xbox One console you will be able to access and use your cable or satellite set-top box DVR service via HDMI pass-through,"

PJV3

What kind of cable box did they use in the demonstration? My freesat box is pretty slow compared to that.

nib95

Banned
What kind of cable box did they use in the demonstration?

Pre-recorded and played using a clicker I think, at least that is what was surmised in a thread about it earlier. Not sure they used any cable box tbh.

That's not to say it won't work well with one.

PJV3

Pre-recorded and played using a clicker I think, at least that is what was surmised in a thread about it earlier. Not sure they used any cable box tbh.

That's not to say it won't work well with one.

Thanks.

So it's all smoke and mirrors at the moment, it will be good to see it working in the real world.

waypoetic

Banned
Microsoft has faked a good portion of their Kinect live demos. Everything that happened at the Xbox One reveal was pre-recorded.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So you guys didn't know you needed cable for this? Really?

I can see how some could not like they made that point to clear. Read many other forums and people have the same misconception. It does not help MS kept on saying all in 1 box confusing the whole thing.

I can see how some could not like they made that point to clear. Read many other forums and people have the same misconception. It does not help MS kept on saying all in 1 box confusing the whole thing.

Pretty sure they said its possible to have IPTV as well. Cable input via HDMI is just one of the options.

PJV3

Xbox another one, doesn't have the same ring to it.

"Here's another one to shove under your television"

Xbox another one on top of the other ones, Catchy.

I don't get why it's hard to understand that it's the one box to centralize everything, not that it's going to contain every piece of hardware in the world. It gets on the Internet but doesn't have a router or modem built in. It does surround sound but doesn't have a receiver or multi speaker output in it. Heck people are complaining there's the HDMI input added in. Can you imagine if they added all this other hardware in how much people would complain?

People are saying that now, but such a common theory that no one had a problem with before the console was revealed, was MS partnering up with cable companies who can give an access card to customers, so the Xbox can replace the cable box. I believe Pachter had the same scenario drawn up. I can't see the current scenario being a big deal to consumers but we'll see.

Prepare to see this line repeated, a lot.

Naming it ONE and talking about all-in-one doesn't help either. How much of the general public knows what a pass through device even is?

Good luck marketing that one MS.

DBT85

People are saying that now, but such a common theory that no one had a problem with before the console was revealed, was MS partnering up with cable companies who can give an access card to customers, so the Xbox can replace the cable box. I believe Pachter had the same scenario drawn up. I can't see the current scenario being a big deal to consumers but we'll see.

If the XBONE did replace your receiver then it really could sell big numbers as it would have total control over everything. Shame that with all the different cable and satellite companies world wide that it just wouldn't work.

Ranger X

Ok now this is getting hilarious!

Xbox One as in "the first of multiple devices you'll have to buy in order to have the full experience".

How can they focus on TV this much with their conference and then bring this to the table? LOLOL

Top Bottom