• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One NAT/UPnP issues - one year in and they're still not fixed.

dwells

UPDATE: Evidence of the issue in the form of detailed system log files available in post 118. Confirms Xbox One is not properly re-negotiating port mapping after coming out of standby and confirms this is a Microsoft/Xbox bug.

For those of you not familiar with UPnP, think of it in this context as automatic port forwarding. The device communicates with the router and says "hey, I'm located here at [IP address] and [MAC address] and I need access to ports [port], [port], and [port] please!" This is great, as it allows for consoles to have an "open NAT" and communicate effectively with the internet, allowing players to connect to other players and servers and such without hassle. It's also great for situations where multiple consoles are being used on the same network where manual port forwarding would not be effective.

However, the Xbox One's implementation of UPnP is bugged. Since devices are requesting ports to be opened and held for them, it's obvious that these reservations can't be held forever for security and compatibility reasons. So routers will eventually expire these UPnP reservations after a period of time of inactivity. No big deal - when a device needs access again, it renegotiates the leases and they become active again.

The Xbox One, however, doesn't do this unless a full reboot of the console occurs. As a result, users with a secure UPnP setup and the Xbox One on the "Instant On" setting will have a moderate or closed NAT, impeding their ability to connect to other players and services. So for those of you with the console with "Instant On" enabled, there are three ways I've found so far to temporarily resolve the issue:
  1. Hard reset the console by holding the power button on the console.
  2. Perform the "test multiplayer connection" test in the settings app. Once it finishes, hold LT + RT + LB + RB and an advanced screen will appear. During the advanced screen, the Xbox will attempt to renew its UPnP leases.
  3. Disable "Instant On" and switch to "Energy Saver" and deal with very long console boot times.
Here's the advanced screen in question:
RUZVEph.png

Don't be fooled by the short "NAT type" description, either, as this is cached and not accurate. As the above example shows, the NAT type is listed as Moderate, but the description from the advanced test is that of a "cone NAT" (open). The reverse happens as well - the console will show that your NAT is open, when in fact the UPnP leases are not active and you're not able to connect with some other players.

What's particularly frustrating about this issue is that it has existed and has been brought up since the console's launch. Refer to this article, this unacknowledged Xbox support forum post from August, and this unacknowledged thread spanning from November of last year to October.

So to those of you on here, if you're using UPnP and Instant On, chances are your NAT isn't as open as you think it is and you're not able to connect to everyone. For those of you who are more network savvy, you'll be able to verify this by looking at your port reservations and UPnP lease tables on your network.

To Microsoft: what's the deal, guys? It's been a year and a major system bug still exists and hasn't been acknowledged. Please get around to patching this for your customers.

NooM

Banned
Wow this is extremely helpful. I've tried forwarding some ports on my router and playing around with uPnP and nothing had worked. Im going to try this next.

Derpcrawler

Never seen mine anything other than "Open". My UPnP works perfect with Xbox. But I am using beefy router with DD-WRT build that has very good UPnP module (they break it from time to time). I just did multiplayer test, and I get both Cone/Open NAT.

Ade

I set my XB1 to a static IP and port forwarded to it. Does this bypass the problems? (Im in instant on mode)

Agreed.for months I was on moderate NAT and it was ridiculous. This should not be an issue on modern day consoles, it should just be connect to your router then play.

Wizman23

Banned
I had problems with my NAT going from open to moderate only when I kept my XB1 in Instant On mode. My connection was hard wired. Funny thing though I recently did some rearranging and my XB1 is no longer hard wired but using WiFi. Ever since I switched to WiFi my NAT stays open 100% of the time in instant on mode. Weird

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I get Moderate NAT even through a wired connection.

I honestly had no idea that was even possible.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I don't play much online anymore with others apart from Destiny so when I need to I just do the LT + RT + LB + RB trick to Open it.

Spasm

[*]Perform the "test multiplayer connection" test in the settings app. Once it finishes, hold LT + RT + LB + RB and an advanced screen will appear. During the advanced screen, the Xbox will attempt to renew its UPnP leases.
Remember kiddies, this step can take several minutes to complete... But it's never failed to grab me an open NAT.

Krilekk

Banned
I had problems with my NAT going from open to moderate only when I kept my XB1 in Instant On mode. My connection was hard wired. Funny thing though I recently did some rearranging and my XB1 is no longer hard wired but using WiFi. Ever since I switched to WiFi my NAT stays open 100% of the time in instant on mode. Weird

Very. Mine is wired since day 1 and in instant on since forever and it's been always open.

dwells

Glad to help those of you curious about this. Hopefully if this gets enough attention, Microsoft might resolve it. I now there's at least a couple Xbox One hardware/OS team members on here.

Never seen mine anything other than "Open". My UPnP works perfect with Xbox. But I am using beefy router with DD-WRT build that has very good UPnP module (they break it from time to time). I just did multiplayer test, and I get both Cone/Open NAT.
DD-WRT seems spotty with Xbox One UPnP. How well it works depends on both the length of reservations/expiration period on the router's UPnP system and, I'm guessing, how frequently you use/boot your Xbox One.

I've recreated the issue on asuswrt-merlin, stock Asus firmware, and a build of Tomato thus far.

I set my XB1 to a static IP and port forwarded to it. Does this bypass the problems? (Im in instant on mode)
Assuming you've got all the ports forwarded, you should be fine. The issue affects the automatic port forwarding with UPnP. Unfortunately, manual port forwarding isn't an option for anyone wishing to run multiple devices that require the same ports (other Xbox Ones, Xbox 360s).

Remember kiddies, this step can take several minutes to complete... But it's never failed to grab me an open NAT.
This does seem to work pretty consistently after one or two tries since the Xbox decides that then is the right time to renew its UPnP reservations - something it should be doing at the start of the "Instant On" boot sequence. However, it's absolutely a pain to have to do every time you want to play online. This is my current solution for the time being, but obviously not acceptable for a year old bug.

I thought this was mostly due to the router? I was having issues before I changed routers, where I could only get one xbox to open nat. I researched routers and found one at my local walmart that supported multiple xbox's and at one time had an open nat for 2 360s and 2 ones.

Tekwar

The Xbox One, however, doesn't do this unless a full reboot of the console occurs. As a result, users with a secure UPnP setup and the Xbox One on the "Instant On" setting will have a moderate or closed NAT, impeding their ability to connect to other players and services. So for those of you with the console with "Instant On" enabled, there are three ways I've found so far to temporarily resolve the issue:

I have no issue (UPnP and two Xbox One), I use Netgear WNDR3700 :

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/wndr3700.aspx

Both my ps4 and xb1 have been on moderate/type 2 etc till i went and opened ports on my router yesterday and theyre both fine now.

I didnt even do it becaus3 it was causing problems, just did it to please my own OCD.

Also never had any problems with network discovery.

dwells

I thought this was mostly due to the router? I was having issues before I changed routers, where I could only get one xbox to open nat. I researched routers and found one at my local walmart that supported multiple xbox's and at one time had an open nat for 2 360s and 2 ones.

Nope, this issue is with the Xbox One not implementing the client side UPnP standard appropriately. While some routers may work, this is due to them holding onto UPnP reservations in a less secure manner.

I have no issue (UPnP and two Xbox One), I use Netgear WNDR3700 :

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/wndr3700.aspx

See above. The issue has been recreated on multiple firmwares and routers. Also, it's possible that you only think you have no issue. I mistakenly trusted the "Nat type Open" report in settings up until I had issues connecting with a friend and decided to do some digging.

Can we Please stop with This FUD?
Only because it is not working for you it doesnt mean, that its broken.

All I can say, that my NAT is open since Launch, using AVM FRITZ!BIX 7390.

Mugatu

That sucks but I've had no problem and I've had open NAT since I got my XBO. For some reason COD:AW says moderate though.

EDIT: I do not have instant on though so that probably explains why this doesn't affect me.

Derpyduck

Banned
This explains why my brand new CoD console is set to Moderate all the time and I can't communicate with anyone in games. Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps MS might want to fix their own mess now?

The other day my Xbox said moderate but CoD said open. Prior to seeing it say moderate it's always been open. Weird that I see two different things.

dwells

Please read the thread fully and/or refrain from commenting if you don't under networking and the issue at hand. It's quite clear that this is an issue with the console's client-side implementation of UPnP, and has been reproduced on multiple firmwares, hardware, and UPnP services.

This explains why my brand new CoD console is set to Moderate all the time and I can't communicate with anyone in games. Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps MS might want to fix their own mess now?

Thanks for this thread, this explains a lot. I may do manual port forwarding until they fix it.

Happy to help, you're welcome.

It's not working for a lot of people. Also, just because it's working for you, doesn't mean that everyone elses criticisms are unfounded.

Lucifon

Try having 2 Xbone's or PS4's in the same house... UPNP should just be able to sort it out, but after a year of dealing with it and multiple routers later I gave up.

dwells

The other day my Xbox said moderate but CoD said open. Prior to seeing it say moderate it's always been open. Weird that I see two different things.

This bug can cause that. It appears open at first when it first creates the leases, but once those port leases expire and the Xbox fails to renew them, you're now stuck behind a moderate NAT. Follow the LT + RT + LB + RB method in the original post and see if that fixes it (temporarily).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You're not 100% right in your description.

Open/Type 1 means that, as far as your console can tell, there is "nothing" between it and the internet. Open indicates that your console doesn't even need to worry about UPnP because whatever device is your gateway is already handling it (public IP routing, DMZ, port forwarding, etc)

Moderate/Type 2 means that, as far as your console can tell, it has full access to the Internet, but there IS in fact a gateway between it and the Internet handling UPnP requests. Working properly your console should still connect flawlessly, it just knows and has to work (properly) with the gateway to access the internet.

also as others have pointed out, more than likely the issue exists with your router, not your XBONE. Get a quality router.

This bug can cause that. It appears open at first when it first creates the leases, but once those port leases expire and the Xbox fails to renew them, you're now stuck behind a moderate NAT. Follow the LT + RT + LB + RB method in the original post and see if that fixes it (temporarily).
just stop. moderate is perfectly fine for every modern game. The issue isn't "moderate". it's that your router is not handling things properly. The problem is your router, not the XBONE.

Try having 2 Xbone's or PS4's in the same house... UPNP should just be able to sort it out, but after a year of dealing with it and multiple routers later I gave up.
what routers specifically did you try? I don't suppose you actually tried any high quality ones in the $160-200 range?

FWIW, my poor wifi struggled on an Apple Airport Express which is classified as a "decent but not great" router. Speed issues, not really connectivity issues, but definitely speed and range issues. I upgraded it to the current Airport Extreme (802.11ac one) and I have zero wifi/speed/connectivity issues. This is with tons of game systems, phones, tablets, laptops/desktops, etc.. I think at any given time I have probably 12-15 leases handed out.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I've had FIFA say I had a moderate NAT, warning it impairs my ability to find an opponent, but go on and connect to other players flawlessly. I put my XBone in the DMZ and on InstantOn because, you know, awesome boottimes.

borghe

I've had FIFA say I had a moderate NAT, warning it impairs my ability to find an opponent, but go on and connect to other players flawlessly. I put my XBone in the DMZ and on InstantOn because, you know, awesome boottimes.

this is bullshit, but I understand why devs do this... This thread is a testament to it.. There are so many shitty routers out there.. People go to best buy and see "wifi router" for $40 and walk out happy.

moderate is "normal". if it works for you without an issue, you literally gain nothing by doing DMZ.. fyi.

the devs only make a big deal out of moderate because there are so many shitty routers out there that don't handle UPnP properly, and the devs/support can't troubleshoot your shitty router, so they just fall back to "well you have to put it in DMZ.."

if your shit works fine on moderate, leave it. That's how home networks are supposed to work. The only reason to do DMZ is because your router sucks and you don't want to do the right thing and buy a decent one.

Lucifon

what routers specifically did you try? I don't suppose you actually tried any high quality ones in the $160-200 range?

FWIW, my poor wifi struggled on an Apple Airport Express which is classified as a "decent but not great" router. Speed issues, not really connectivity issues, but definitely speed and range issues. I upgraded it to the current Airport Extreme (802.11ac one) and I have zero wifi/speed/connectivity issues. This is with tons of game systems, phones, tablets, laptops/desktops, etc.. I think at any given time I have probably 12-15 leases handed out.

I'm in the UK, so unsure on the costs there. Originally we were on the ASUS N56U but had constant NAT issues. We're now on the latest TP Link N600 model (forget the product code) and still have similar problems. They're not cheap routers by a long shot, not the highest of the high end no but they should be able to perfectly play two of the same consoles online at the same time. If everyone needs to fork out a fortune just to play their consoles online something is seriously wrong.

thenameDS

Back at home in the UK it's always open using a N66U router, never had problems since launch and I also use instant on.

Here in Italy we have a W8970 modem in the flat and the connection type is "Moderate Type 2"on both my Xbox and my friends PS4. But this again doesn't give us any issues in finding games and connecting to others.

Also as far as I understand having a moderate NAT type is perfectly fine and shouldn't cause issues. Just means you are behind a firewall or a gateway.

dwells

You're not 100% right in your description.

Open/Type 1 means that, as far as your console can tell, there is "nothing" between it and the internet. Open indicates that your console doesn't even need to worry about UPnP because whatever device is your gateway is already handling it (public IP routing, DMZ, port forwarding, etc)

Moderate/Type 2 means that, as far as your console can tell, it has full access to the Internet, but there IS in fact a gateway between it and the Internet handling UPnP requests. Working properly your console should still connect flawlessly, it just knows and has to work (properly) with the gateway to access the internet.

also as others have pointed out, more than likely the issue exists with your router, not your XBONE. Get a quality router.

just stop. moderate is perfectly fine for every modern game. The issue isn't "moderate". it's that your router is not handling things properly. The problem is your router, not the XBONE.

what routers specifically did you try? I don't suppose you actually tried any high quality ones in the $160-200 range?.

I would suggest getting your facts straight before accusing others of being wrong.

First off, open does not mean that the Xbox thinks it is directly connected to the internet. It means that it can communicate exactly as it wants to. Users should have their NAT type displaying as open, and it does make a difference.

Regarding a moderate NAT working "flawlessly," that's not true either. Having a moderate NAT can result in the system not being able to fully connect to other devices on the internet. Once again, I've personally verified this for myself. With expired/inactive UPnP leases, I can't connect to a friend. Once I force a renewal via the LT +RT +LB +RB trick, I can connect. Microsoft's own documentation confirms this as well:

Microsoft said:
With a MODERATE NAT type, you’re able to chat and play multiplayer games with some people; however, you might not be able to hear or play with others, and normally you won’t be chosen as the host of a match.

I do have a quality router (Asus RT-N66U, $200 initial MSRP) running the latest asuswrt-merlin build. I've personally confirmed the issue on an RT-N16 as well running TomatoUSB and stock firmware. The Xbox One is the only device on the network on the issue, because it simply isn't renewing its UPnP port reservations when it boots from Instant On. I've been monitoring the UPnP clients and port reservation tables directly on the router hardware, and the request only gets sent to the router during a hard reset or with the LT + RT + LB + RB trick in the settings app.

So again, please make sure you're informed before spreading false information.

Back at home in the UK it's always open using a N66U router, never had problems since launch and I also use instant on.

I use an N66U as well and have recreated the issue in firmware builds 376.47 and 376.48. While you may see the NAT type listed in settings as "open," it isn't. Leave your console in instant on and turn it off without any background downloading for a day or so, then boot it back up and go to settings. Chances are it will show Moderate, though you may have to do a short connection test (not using the full bumper trick, as this renews the leases) to get it to display that.

Stevey

So if you don't use instant on itll work every time you reboot?
Mines been wired to my Virgin Media superhub since Ive had it and its always been Nat open when Ive checked it, I don't use instant on.

dwells

So if you don't use instant on itll work every time you reboot?
Mines been wired to my Virgin Media superhub since Ive had it and its always been Nat open when Ive checked it, I don't use instant on.

Correct, it'll work properly. The energy saver mode seems to force a full OS startup, including the routine to negotiate the UPnP port reservations.

Stevey

Correct, it'll work properly. The energy saver mode seems to force a full OS startup, including the routine to negotiate the UPnP port reservations.

I'll carry on doing that then, because I don't understand it enough to be playing around with settings myself.

borghe

I would suggest getting your facts straight before accusing others of being wrong.
Not really dying to play the card.. but I have multiple decades working networking engineering and security...

First off, open does not mean that the Xbox thinks it is directly connected to the internet. It means that it can communicate exactly as it wants to. Users should have their NAT type displaying as open, and it does make a difference.
It was a layman way to put it, but basically I was closer to right than this description. Open means XBONE (or anything) doesn't have to do anything to open ports on the router (UPnP). The router is either DMZed, the XBONE is public, or the ports were already open (either forwarded or opened from a previous session) without needing to be opened through UPnP. Moderate means your XBONE can still communicate "how it wants to" over UPnP. Users "shouldn't have" to see Open. Open just means the console is working through those open ports without using a UPnP request. But on a correctly functioning router, the exact same environment occurs with a UPnP forward request.

Regarding a moderate NAT working "flawlessly," that's not true either. Having a moderate NAT can result in the system not being able to fully connect to other devices on the internet. Once again, I've personally verified this for myself. With expired/inactive UPnP leases, I can't connect to a friend. Once I force a renewal via the LT +RT +LB +RB trick, I can connect. Microsoft's own documentation confirms this as well:
"can result". I even highlighted it for you there. This is not proper behavior. if your router is causing connectivity problems over UPnP, this is a genuine problem between your XBONE and router. It should not be occurring with Type 2/Moderate. DMZ is a hack around it... but there is something between your console and router (possibly modem as well) that isn't working properly. This is not standard behavior.

I do have a quality router (Asus RT-N66U, $200 initial MSRP) running the latest asuswrt-merlin build. I've personally confirmed the issue on an RT-N16 as well running TomatoUSB and stock firmware. The Xbox One is the only device on the network on the issue, because it simply isn't renewing its UPnP port reservations when it boots from Instant On. I've been monitoring the UPnP clients and port reservation tables directly on the router hardware, and the request only gets sent to the router during a hard reset or with the LT + RT + LB + RB trick in the settings app.

So again, please make sure you're informed before spreading false information.

the problem again is that this is not happening for everyone. so stating it is an "XBONE" problem isn't 100% accurate. It could be an issue with your system, or an issue with how your router and/or XBONE are participating on the network.. I'm not even necessarily arguing that there isn't a problem that needs to be resolved here.. But this constant misinformation that everyone needs Open/Type 1 is incorrect.

I use an N66U as well and have recreated the issue in firmware builds 376.47 and 376.48. While you may see the NAT type listed in settings as "open," it isn't. Leave your console in instant on and turn it off without any background downloading for a day or so, then boot it back up and go to settings. Chances are it will show Moderate, though you may have to do a short connection test (not using the full bumper trick, as this renews the leases) to get it to display that.
I will grant you that it's only with XBONE that you seem to see this flip flopping between Open/Moderate. My PS4 for example will show Type 2 every. single. time. It will ONLY show Type 1/Open if I either DMZ, or port forward the correct PSN ports.

So maybe there is an actual issue with your setup and the XBONE is involved.. however that still doesn't explain others not having an issue, and certainly doesn't warrant a "Type 2 is wrong" or "it needs to say Open" mindset that always pops up.

Type 2/Moderate is fine in almost all cases. Your case may be different.. But the only difference between Type 2 and Open should be that with Open, your system doesn't (think it) need(s) to send UPnP requests to have ports forwarded, whereas with Type 2/Moderate your system knows that to have any ports forwarded it needs to send a UPnP request first.

tl;dr I'm not discounting you or others having an issue. I'm saying that your diagnosis of Open and Moderate differences is incorrect and your solution is definitely not a "good" solution for everyone.

I also notice that the router you mention specifically just had a firmware update released last week

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&os=8

I had this problem with my Airport Extreme and I checked "Support Dakota Servers" or some weird shit from off to on and everything works now.

One caveat is Destiny always gets Marionberry until I HardQuit the game and then restart it. Mild hassle, but worth it to have a finally open NAT.

dwells

Not really dying to play the card.. but I have multiple decades working networking engineering and security...
I'm a network administrator as well.

Open means XBONE (or anything) doesn't have to do anything to open ports on the router (UPnP). The router is either DMZed, the XBONE is public, or the ports were already open (either forwarded or opened from a previous session) without needing to be opened through UPnP.
This is incorrect. An Xbox One behind a router which issues a UPnP port request will display "Open," so long as those requests are accepted and functional. I can reproduce and photograph this if you need it.

"can result". I even highlighted it for you there. This is not proper behavior. if your router is causing connectivity problems over UPnP, this is a genuine problem between your XBONE and router. It should not be occurring with Type 2/Moderate. DMZ is a hack around it... but there is something between your console and router (possibly modem as well) that isn't working properly. This is not standard behavior.
Microsoft's own documentation states that if they display "Moderate," you are likely to experience issues connecting and unlikely to ever be selected as host. See above.

the problem again is that this is not happening for everyone. so stating it is an "XBONE" problem isn't 100% accurate. It could be an issue with your system, or an issue with how your router and/or XBONE are participating on the network..
As was discussed, there's multiple reasons that this isn't happening for everyone. First off, the fact that the Xbox may incorrectly display "Open" due to the fact that it has cached this status and is not displaying the real status. next, routers which set excessively long expiration times may hold onto the leases long enough that the problem does not occur. However, it is proper procedure for UPnP leases to be expired fairly often for both security reasons and preventing backup/excessive reservations.

tl;dr I'm not discounting you or others having an issue. I'm saying that your diagnosis of Open and Moderate differences is incorrect and your solution is definitely not a "good" solution for everyone.

I also notice that the router you mention specifically just had a firmware update released last week

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&os=8

Once again, as has been discussed, there is no issue with my setup. My router is running the latest build of asuswrt-merlin, and I've reproduced the issue with other hardware and firmware. I've also tested with the UPnP and port reservation tables freshly cleared and no other devices on the network.

The three solutions listed in the original post are all correct and functional. You seem to have issue with the way NAT types have been described in my posts, but they are correct in this context and consistent with Microsoft's own documentation.

Ok so I didn't even do anything and my NAT is back to open again (see my previous post) which it always has been. Now I go to the advanced screen after the test and it says " your NAT is behind a UPnP port restricted NAT". Is that good or bad? Can't seem to find a straight answer online.

dwells

Ok so I didn't even do anything and my NAT is back to open again (see my previous post) which it always has been. Now I go to the advanced screen after the test and it says " your NAT is behind a UPnP port restricted NAT". Is that good or bad? Can't seem to find a straight answer online.

Try doing either the trigger/bumper trick again or a hard reset and then seeing what you get. Sometimes it displays the previous/cached result, and you get weird results like the first post where it says I haven an open cone NAT and still shows the old Moderate result.

KePoW

Banned
I don't doubt that some people have problems, but if the OP is saying everyone reproduces this issue then that's not true.

My XB1 always manually tests as Open from day 1 , and I'm hard wired to router and on the energy power setting

borghe

You seem to have issue with the way NAT types have been described in my posts, but they are correct in this context and consistent with Microsoft's own documentation.

"in this context" is an odd qualifier, but you are correct in that being one of my issues.

Type 1 = RFC 1918 IP address but no visible NAT/UPnP. 100% handled by router.
Type 2 = visible NAT accepting UPnP requests and capable of persisting packets in a way that's compliant with UPnP
Type 3 = visible NAT accepting UPnP requests but incapable of persisting packets in a way that's compliant with UPnP.

As I take it, "Moderate" for XBONE means the second one. However in theory it still (should be) fully functional.

Your assumption over long session times and such is plausible.. it just seems like an odd assumption that the poorly performing routers (long session times) are the ones unaffected by the issue. but I digress.

my only other issue (which isn't related to this thread exclusively) is the desire/insistence/mania behind everyone port forwarding or DMZ'ing their devices because "it works" without realizing what the hell they're going or why. there is absolutely a time and place for it, but doing it to get your console working online is a hack job likely covering up/working around a larger issue.

anywho.. I'm out. If it is genuinely a bug on MS' side.. I hope it gets fixed.. because having people set their routers to DMZ their XBONE is just setting them up for hassle down the road when another UPnP device behaves properly but can't connect because the DMZ policy is obstructing it.

ViciousDS

Banned
I rock the white knight with Merlin (asus rt-n66uw) and have had open on all my devices... I could quickly just go in the upnp and lease tables to see if they are going through correctly.

Try doing either the trigger/bumper trick again or a hard reset and then seeing what you get. Sometimes it displays the previous/cached result, and you get weird results like the first post where it says I haven an open cone NAT and still shows the old Moderate result.

As soon as i posted that, it came up moderate. Just gave my Xbox a static IP and now its open with a cone NAT. Tried the test a few different times and still the same. Also shut it down and turned it back on with instant on and hasn't changed since. Will keep updating for the next day or so to see if anything changes.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I find Bridge mode fixes most Live issues too. If you can wrangle up another router, switch your main one to bridge mode and let it feed the second one.

Top Bottom