• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One news: "BIG" Xbox update would be "bad news" for Sony’s PS4 console.

But you are the one sharing this bullshit

Which has nothing to do with the previous poster acting like I wrote and agreed with the article. Be mad at the article writer, seems to only be a complicated issues if Xbox is on the thread. As there's a Sony thread with the same type of Title yet no one said anything.

Imtjnotu

Which has nothing to do with the previous poster acting like I wrote and agreed with the article. Be mad at the article writer, seems to only be a complicated issues if Xbox is on the thread. As there's a Sony thread with the same type of Title yet no one said anything.
What Sony thread has had an article saying Ms is in big trouble because of Sony next gen lol.

Stuart360

"Some of these reveals would see an increase in gaming revenue for Microsoft and also spell trouble for Sony's PS4 when it comes to its chokehold on the current generation of consoles."

The generation is done Voost, there's nothing more that MS can do. If anything, I think MS has saturated the number of persons willing to invest in their eco-system to a great degree.......They said XBONEX hardware was what they needed, NO, didn't work....XBOX sales are at an all time low and it will fall even further ebbed on by their numerous failed exclusives...Just too many dominoes falling one after the other.....It's stops any momentum they could have dead in it's tracks..

The hype you see, is just from MS affiliates and fans to keep people talking about XBOX, to keep XBOX fans hyped, trying to keep XBOX relevant in people's heads after a whole generation of misgivings....And it only comes off as that famous general from IRAQ saying everything is ok, we are crussssssssssssssssshing these guys or we will "whilst bombs kept decimating everything 10 feet behind him"....

All of this hype is to do one thing, it's to try to keep the few XBOX fans they have left on there, keep them hyped and ready to to believe in the next great thing or hype train from MS.....It's to tell them not to lose faith etc....So it's all talk about "We have this coming, we have that coming, it will blow yours socks off....Sony is in trouble et al"......You believe or you don't....
Dude trust me on this, Microsoft had nothing to do with this 'article', and they would be laughing too if they read it, they gave up on winning this gen long ago. No need for onr of your 'Xbox is doomed' essays.

Alebrije

2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 is the Year of the Xbox One!

105476.jpg

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yea I don't think anything is going to loosen PS4's grip on the console market. It's not about consoles anymore for the umpteenth time. Platform is the new meta.

thelastword

Banned
The only fans that will be disappointed at the end are the Xbox fans with all that next-gen/Nintendo hype. But they do it to themselves.
Yes, they do and when MS fails them yet again, they just latch unto the next thing MS announces as the Holy grail, as the next big feature that will revolutionize the industry. Rinse and repeat for MS exclusives, but who I'm I to judge, at least they're having "fun".....
You do realize I'm NOT the one that wrote the article right?
Yes, but you are the one pushing it..... Are you saying you don't believe the contents of the article/references/sources?
2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 is the Year of the Xbox One!
Succinct....

thelastword

Banned
It's a news article, what push? Where were you for those Sony threads with the same type of article titles?

Almost all your posts are wars, chill my man.
It's not wars I assure you, just asking you a few questions. Is that allowed in this thread? No need to be defensive Voost?

Klayzer

I find it a little curious many media members are seemingly rooting for for Xbox to be the top console in sales. Please correct me if you think my opinion is over the top surface level thinking.

BlackTron

Just posting the news as it is straight? It's not clickbait, it's simply journalistic integrity!

Two of them, but reading thread titles might be difficult for you. Anyway I've made my point.

So instead of reference these threads you're talking about, you just toss an insult and say "I've made my point"?

Well, some journalistic integrity lmao.

What a joke this whole thread is

Just posting the news as it is straight? It's not clickbait, it's simply journalistic integrity!

So instead of reference these threads you're talking about, you just toss an insult and say "I've made my point"?

There’s a “BIG” chance that what you wrote is “bad news” for this thread

demigod

He left me hangin’ like Afro dude.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Regardless of what anyone here thinks on Sonygaf, and as dumb as this source is...If MS makes Xbox a platform, hooks up with Nintendo, and pushes game pass, Xcloud and all of its new studio’s games to Switch, Xbox, PC and mobile...Sony’s plastic box numbers won’t mean anything any more. MS is already almost out of the “classic console” race anyways. They are interested in revenue streams and MAUs only ever since Sony ate their box lunch this gen.

This is all a big “if” but all signs have been pointing that way for years now.

This right here is what happens when you fall for the pr bs, listen to others pushing narratives and take a hit of something tht causes delusions.

Man the brain wash shit I read in here some times is incredible.

Calibos

This right here is what happens when you fall for the pr bs, listen to others pushing narratives and take a hit of something tht causes delusions.

Ok buddy. Whatever you say.

Klayzer

Not to mention that's a lot of if this happens or that happens.

Electret

If this ain't Microsoft hutnr smoke or what ever his Damn name is

Hunert Smoke. And yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the same person. An interesting factoid:

Hunert's last post prior to his perm was on February 1.
Voost's account dates back to 2016, but he went completely radio silent after May 30, 2016. He then came back out of the woodwork on February 4, 2019...three days after Smoke's ban.

I'm sure that's merely coincidental, as is the same type of exaggerated formatting (bold, italics, etc.) employed by both Smoke and Voost.

yurinka

Having the most powerful console with Xbox One X didn't help to fight PS4. Back in 360 days, to have the console released more than a year before than PS3 did help, but it had both 1st and 3rd big exclusive games. Now big 3rd party games are multi on PS4 too, and 1st party games are on PC too and don't have the punch that Halo or Gears had at the early years of 360. MS is on the correct way, but now maybe only Halo would be that big today.

I'd say that in addition to having the most powerful console at a decent pricing and having great services like Game Pass MS needs more exclusive AAA great games with the quality of Forza and Halo. They did several interesting acquisitions and hirings for their studios that may help but we still have to see the results.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
What this nonsense is all about? These retarded articles coming every week. These people are blind and retarded or they get well paid.

zwiggelbig

Dont care for the new xbox if they dont have must play games for it.
Horizon zero dawn
God of war 4
Spiderman
Death stranding incomming..

Come on.. cant compete with that. Gimme those quality like games

cireza

Dont care for the new xbox if they dont have must play games for it.
Horizon zero dawn
God of war 4
Spiderman
Death stranding incomming..

Come on.. cant compete with that. Gimme those quality like games
Why ? If you like these games, buy a PS4 and play on PS4. Who needs to have 10 different consoles that all do the exact same thing ?

Not interested in these games the slightest. If they come to Xbox, I definitely won't buy them. Just like I did not buy Ryse and other "cinematic" "games".

Interactive movies were fun on the Sega-CD, but this train left the station a long time ago.

Last edited:

Ramzy

Not interested in these games the slightest. If they come to Xbox, I definitely won't buy them. Just like I did not buy Ryse and other "cinematic" "games"..

Cool, you've got low standards.

What does Xbox offer? Serious question, what console-moving exclusives does it offer?

Grunts of War 11?
Halo 15?
Forza?

Microsoft aren't offering a compelling list of varied and interesting exclusives. Everything available on Xbox is available on PC or PS4, and so what does the console offer? A better feeling wireless controller?

Either way, your shit taste withstanding, the exclusives you're not interested in are selling PS4's. Microsoft won't even disclose their exact sales figures anymore as a result. Current figures place the xbox at about 40-45 million units while the PS4 is steadily approaching 100 million.

About the only thing Xbox has going for it is the game pass which offers a decent amount of value.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

Lots of delusions really, I've never seen it so potent before...Now MS even hinges Nintendo at the hip to make a claim on the next round or even making inroads this round....It's really all "surreal"...:messenger_grimmacing_
Having the most powerful console with Xbox One X didn't help to fight PS4. Back in 360 days, to have the console released more than a year before than PS3 did help, but it had both 1st and 3rd big exclusive games. Now big 3rd party games are multi on PS4 too, and 1st party games are on PC too and don't have the punch that Halo or Gears had at the early years of 360. MS is on the correct way, but now maybe only Halo would be that big today.

I'd say that in addition to having the most powerful console at a decent pricing and having great services like Game Pass MS needs more exclusive AAA great games with the quality of Forza and Halo. They did several interesting acquisitions and hirings for their studios that may help but we still have to see the results.
Their games are on PC because their console is not pushing enough software units of their exclusives.......Then they took to gamepass because their exclusives were not of top quality, so they needed a service to get more people to try said games, so they only report MAU, because you can declare anything to be successful under a MAU report.....

There is precedent however. MS has not only had a problem with the quality of their games and of course low reviews, but sales of their exclusives has been an issue too....Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, the latest Crackdown only doing 4K in the UK....None of their titles have lit the world on fire....I mean Horizon is doing better over last gen, but that is available under gamepass and it was a free game for most of the holidays, so it's difficult to know it's actual sales, but that series is the only thing doing well enough this gen....Everything else has underperformed including Halo and Gears.....Also, the way MS has been pushing Horizon, I feel it will fall from grace by next gen, there's just too much of the title already, they're already on part 4 in such quick time....Mainline Forza already has part 8 coming up...Next Horizon is going to be 5 already, they just keep pushing the same games, eventually people will have enough of the said games and formula....

The new studios were already under MS's stable for the most part, except NT, now InXile, but I don't see how that changes anything really......These studios are not multi-million making hits studios...I agree we shall see what they offer, but beyond all the hype for some of MS's games this gen, XBOX fans did not really go out and buy the games they hyped.....I heard lots of hype for Sunset Overdrive, sales did not reflect all that love it got on forums......Same for Ryse, Quantum Break and many others....Are XBOX fans really into We happy Few type games? How much did the first one sell on XBOX? We can use this as a litmus test on how these studios will do.....The only studio I think will have something decent is NT......I look at the INITIATIVE just as I do Anthem, lots of money, production values and marketing campaigns won't bring you success, they're just trying to bring too many big heads/names into that studio, but I hope I'm wrong and they deliver for MS next gen......Looking at Gallagher's last few projects, I have a feeling The Initiative will be working on another shooter with a focus on MP...We shall see, At least I agree with MS that this E3 will be interesting....They have the stage all to themselves, so we will see what they reveal...

HeresJohnny

I find it a little curious many media members are seemingly rooting for for Xbox to be the top console in sales. Please correct me if you think my opinion is over the top surface level thinking.
I know, it’s almost like they’ve been bought off. Why else would they be rooting for the company that released two $500 systems, very few good games, and wanted to control everyone’s access to content by coming up with a super sketchy always online scheme?

I mean, why SHOULDNT that company be market leader?

cireza

What does Xbox offer? Serious question, what console-moving exclusives does it offer?
Where did I say that Xbox offers anything special ? Where did I say I care about Xbox exclusives and Microsoft selling a ton of consoles ? I don't.
I am stating a personal opinion. If these kind of games come to Xbox, it won't make me care more about the console because these types of games are the worst thing that came to video-gaming.

Cool, you've got low standards.
Either way, your shit taste withstanding
Awesome way to talk to other people. You probably have awesome tastes, much better then mine obviously.

Last edited:

Ramzy

Where did I say that Xbox offers anything special ? Where did I say I care about Xbox exclusives and Microsoft selling a ton of consoles ? I don't.

Then what the hell are you talking about? If a console doesn't offer exclusives then what exactly is it? A console needs to offer some value-add proposition, whether it be compelling features or exclusives, otherwise it's just an underpowered PC.

I am stating a personal opinion. If these kind of games come to Xbox, it won't make me care more about the console because these types of games are the worst thing that came to video-gaming.

Your personal opinion is narrow minded. You instantly write off the dozens of quality exclusives available on PS4 and just flat out say "they don't interest me".

Cool, what games DO interest you?

Awesome way to talk to other people. You probably have awesome tastes, much better then mine obviously.

Gran Turismo​
Until Dawn​
Yakuza​
Infamous​
Spider-Man​
Last of Us 1 / 2​
Ratchet & Clank​
Persona 5​
Uncharted​
Horizon Zero Dawn​
Shadow of the Colossus​
Detroit Become Human​
The Last Guardian​
Bloodborne​
God of War​
Days Gone​
Death Stranding​
Gravity Rush​
PSVR​
As above -- you write off tonnes of exclusive quality games that make the PS4 a compelling console and straight up say "they don't interest me", so that leads me to believe that,

A) Your post is low effort trolling
B) You have extremely bland taste in games
C) You're arguing for the sake of it
D) All of the above

Exclusives sell consoles. Exclusives are the reason why people buy consoles. I don't care about the UI, the online experience, the ease of use, or the controller -- the only thing that matters are the games that the console allows me to play, and unfortunately the XB1 isn't offering anything.

My platform is primarily a PC, but i bought a Switch to play Zelda and Mario Odyssey, i bought an XB1 for 4K RDR2, and I bought a PS4 for the exclusives mentioned above.

I like the Xbox. I like it's design, its online functionality, and its controller, but there aren't any fucking games to play on the thing and it's only a matter of time before i sell the thing to recoup some cash, but i'm just waiting for Microsoft's studio acquisitions to materalise some quality exclusives in order to sway my opinion, but the only news we get is related to cloud streaming bullshit and XBL on competing consoles. I don't see the angle here. All i see is Microsoft grasping at straws and trying to remain relevant.

And to close off -- yeah, i was rude. I'll apologise for that -- but it just confuses the fuck out of me when people look at these exclusives on the PS4 and write them off, trying to pretend like Xbox is in a good place.

Last edited:
Is it me or a lot of these Microsoft articles are kind of delusional and nonsensical? They are a little too optimistic. Catching up now would be near impossible even if the PS4 stopped selling for the next 3 years and I don’t think their gamepass strategy are going to do Microsoft any favors either in pushing hardware.
I feel like an educator now. The goal is not to sell more hardware going forward. The goal is to sell more software and more importantly sell more subscriptions for their services. It's a different time now that old way of thinking is out the door. Will it work? Who can say?

Yea I don't think anything is going to loosen PS4's grip on the console market. It's not about consoles anymore for the umpteenth time. Platform is the new meta.
That's what they said in the PS2 era and look how that ended up. The tides always change, keep that in mind.

Klayzer

I feel like an educator now. The goal is not to sell more hardware going forward. The goal is to sell more software and more importantly sell more subscriptions for their services. It's a different time now that old way of thinking is out the door. Will it work? Who can say?
I disagree. The goal is always to sell more hardware. More hardware sales equals more subscribers, accessories, games and DLC brought into your platform tenfold. For example: PSN profits almost beats the combine revenue of Xbox and Nintendo.

I disagree. The goal is always to sell more hardware. More hardware sales equals more subscribers, accessories, games and DLC brought into your platform tenfold. For example: PSN profits almost beats the combine revenue of Xbox and Nintendo.
Nope in my opinion "going forward" the goal isn't to sell more hardware because you might actually lose money on every hardware sale or break even at best. Even if they make money on hardware sales it would be marginal at best, and don't get me wrong hardware sales will for the near future be a part of the equation but the shift in focus is very obvious. Once you (not you specifically) learn how to read between the lines of what they say in past interviews and articles you can clearly see the direction they want to go.

Last edited:

Klayzer

Nope in my opinion "going forward" the goal isn't to sell more hardware because you might actually lose money on every hardware sale or break even at best. Even if they make money on hardware sales it would be marginal at best, and don't get me wrong hardware sales will for the near future be a part of the equation but the shift in focus is very obvious. Once you (not you specifically) learn how to read between the lines of what they say in past interviews and articles you can clearly see the direction they want to go.
That's an additional revenue source MS is trying to get the jump on. Without the large customer base buying your platform, It would be pretty difficult to get prospective customers to try all the services they're trying to push.

HeresJohnny

That's an additional revenue source MS is trying to get the jump on. Without the large customer base buying your platform, It would be pretty difficult to get prospective customers to try all the services they're trying to push.
The only people pushing GaaS are those whose platform just got destroyed. There is a healthy, thriving market that still operates on the conventional model of mass market system sales and software. Believe me, if the Xbox has just sold a hundred million units and was killing it with software sales each month, you would hear fucking crickets about all this streaming nonsense. It’s just another desperate attempt to grab a hold of something, anything.

cireza

Your personal opinion is narrow minded.
Stop judging people. I have been playing video-games since the NES and perfectly know what I like. This is a forum where people express their personal opinions, nothing more. I can't enter a thread and say "Hey I like these games and I don't like these games" ?

Then what the hell are you talking about? If a console doesn't offer exclusives then what exactly is it? A console needs to offer some value-add proposition, whether it be compelling features or exclusives, otherwise it's just an underpowered PC.
Yeah, sure. Nothing to do with my post however. My initial post was about a list of 4 games presented as quality PS4 games to which I answered that they would not be, to me, games that would make Xbox better.

There is nothing more in my post than this. Everything else was built inside your head.

Cool, what games DO interest you?
In recent years, the best games I have played where Nier Automata, Catherine, Steins Gate, Doom, Recore, Dead or Alive 5, Final Fantasy XV, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Hitman, Zelda BotW to list a few. As you can see, almost no exclusive games in this list.

you write off tonnes of exclusive quality game
No, I am not doing this. My initial post wrote off only 4 games. Well, actually I wrote off "cinematic" games as I call them. Which does not imply that they are exclusive or not. In fact I even cited Ryse as one of them, this is an Xbox game, but strangely this part of my post you omitted.

Not going to quote the rest of your post. You look like you are really on edge.

Last edited:

Klayzer

The only people pushing GaaS are those whose platform just got destroyed. There is a healthy, thriving market that still operates on the conventional model of mass market system sales and software. Believe me, if the Xbox has just sold a hundred million units and was killing it with software sales each month, you would hear fucking crickets about all this streaming nonsense. It’s just another desperate attempt to grab a hold of something, anything.
I tend to agree with your opinion. There's still an untapped market for streaming though. PlayStation has the jump on Xbox as far the streaming games market too.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Distorted reality:

Console sales don't matter anymore its all about maus.

XcLoud will be the first official CLOUD streaming service and that coupled with azure will have Microsoft on top

XBOX has tons of new studios now Sony needs to acquire more.

Reality:

Console sales always matter and PS4 has that won by a large lead. The more consoles you sell the more ppl you can bring into your eco system/mau

Psnow has been a bonafied game streaming service for years!!!! Works well with a good connection and has hundreds of games. Sony acquired OnLive streaming patents and gakai and thy have shown they are all in and leading the pack in streaming.

The reason Microsoft had to acquire studios is because Sony's output of games was way more than Microsoft. This was a reactive move and needed to be done because Sony already has studios in place not just churning out games but quality ones at that, goty caliber often times with high metas. A studio like ND usually has two to three teams working on different projects and this has worked well for Sony. Acquisitions are always good but they should be quality and when warranted.

I understand software and subscriptions are key here, but imo it feels pointless to even have hardware when you can probably get a similar enough experience on other devices and consoles for much less money. These articles imo kind of permeate with desperation and hopefulness based on rumors and unproven technological advancements from what I’ve seen and read.

Also, how many subscriptions are they really expecting to get on the Switch? They want to reach billions I think. Do most of the games in Xbox’s library even appeal to Nintendo fans enough for dedicated subscribers if this Gamepass rumor is legitimate? Guess we’ll see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom