• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One OS to get a significant redesign with Windows 10

iMax

Windows_Product_Family_9-30-Event-741x416.png

Following today's announcement, the image seems to suggest pins are going straight onto the home screen, along with customisable backgrounds.

Interesting to see such a big evolution just after launch. NXE 2.0?

mdubs

Banned
Just as I'm starting to really like the current OS. Oh well it doesn't look like too big of a change since a lot of the elements are still there.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The Avatars are making a comeback.

Can't escape the back of my foot

I like this. If the One is capable of running straight up Windows 10 apps, it fits with my usecase of a computer for a TV; I custom built one a few years ago. I'm down.

Windows_Product_Family_9-30-Event-741x416.png

Following today's announcement, the image seems to suggest pins are going straight onto the home screen, along with customisable backgrounds.

Interesting to see such a big evolution just after launch. NXE 2.0?

I don't know how you can jump to that conclusion. These are mockups for a presentation. Can't you see the splitscreen on the tablet? That would never work IRL.

This was all 'threshold' was all about? A unified design and look for their software? That's it?

Nope. One OS code for all products.

Windows 10 will run across an incredibly broad set of devices – from the Internet of Things, to servers in enterprise datacenters worldwide. Some of these devices have 4 inch screens – some have 80 inch screens – and some don’t have screens at all. Some of these devices you hold in your hand, others are ten feet away. Some of these devices you primarily use touch/pen, others mouse/keyboard, others controller/gesture – and some devices can switch between input types.

CryptiK

How does that even look remotely significant? It looks like they have moved a few tiles around and added the blue theme.

I don't know how you can jump to that conclusion. These are mockups for a presentation. Can't you see the splitscreen on the tablet? That would never work IRL.

Yes, but it's clearly a mockup of a new Xbox One interface. It has Forza Horizon 2, an Xbox One game, on the Dash.

They wouldn't include it if a refresh of the dash wasn't in the works.

That's not a tablet, that's a laptop with a touchscreen and it's showing how it can use both the touch and kb/m interface.

Vestax

Banned
I miss the avatars on the XB1 that were on the 360. It feels like they took a step backwards, but I'm glad to see some prospect of them coming back. It's a big part of the 360 feel, which was fantastic.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wait, one store? Like I'll be able to buy XB1 games on Windows 10?

Well...

More like all apps are funnelled through a central store... if an app on windows 10 is available and works for both pc and xbox (as a single unified app as selected by the developer) then you'd be able to buy for both. But they will still likely segregate available apps according to which store you're currently on.

Hubble

What is your source? The thread title seems to be pretty confident without evidence. Mods should close this if there is no source other than a picture..

Avatars made them stupid amounts of money for very little work, I was surprised they were sidelined to begin with. Maybe Kinect Sports Rivals was a hint of the idea of new-styled Avatars, but didn't pan out, and now the idea's abandoned with Rare further gutted.

Gestault

New title suggestion: Xbox One OS could maybe, theoretically get a redesign of some kind in light of tiny Windows 10 slide mock-up.

iMax

What is your source? The thread title seems to be pretty confident without evidence. Mods should close this if there is no source other than a picture..

The Microsoft event that just concluded. Personally, I'm not convinced they'd publish a mockup that's vastly different from the final version less than a year from release.

Remember how different the Xbox One OS looked in its announcement compared to its release? Not a huge amount. Same scenario here.

I don't get it....it looks basically the same to me. :s

The current one have a giant wide tile showing the game running, and a few little square tiles. This one seems to show actually live tiles, with wide and big square sizes, like the ones you'd find on the windows 8.1 start screen.

RedAssedApe

Banned
the one store mockup looks similar..so i dont expect a drastic change.

although if its anything like 360...i wonder if they will go back to big yearly updates. they can't keep making it awesomer every month can they?

freaking sony...salty

orava

You should probably have a question mark in your title. After that, Betteridge's law of headlines applies.

Top Bottom